[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do S.T.A.L.K.E.R's wear gas masks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
As far as I know there aren't any chemical weapons used like tear gas and your character gets along fine without them in the zone. Why are all the characters on the cover art wearing gas masks?
>>
>>29835505

A shit ton of irradiated materials were ejected from the explosion at reactor 4. The mutants in the game would technically be a biohazard. And gas masks are fucking cool.
>>
>>29835531
then why does your character never have to wear a gas mask? Those things obstruct vision and constantly having to replace filters is a burden
>>
ingesting α-emitters is generally not recommended family
>>
>>29835539
Plot armor
>>
Should i invest in a gas mask? I have a construction respirator (with the pink filters) it only covers the nose and mouth, + safety goggles.

is that enough protection or should i get a full face gasmask?
>>
File: 63814c.jpg (727 KB, 2000x1400) Image search: [Google]
63814c.jpg
727 KB, 2000x1400
>>29835539
>then why does your character never have to wear a gas mask?
But they do. Just about every single suit that's not just a regular jacket contains at least a basic filter mask, while higher end ones have closed breathing systems.

CoP even has a separated head-piece for masks / helmets, which enhance your overall NBC and/or ballistic protection.

The reason why there's no filter swaps or mask overlay in VANILLA games is because that shit would be just bothersome. For why your 3rd person character does not appear to wear any headgear... that's just laziness, as you really shouldn't see your character in 3rd person during the game anyway, and many mods fix the issue.
>>
File: 1409808842141.jpg (113 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1409808842141.jpg
113 KB, 480x640
>>29835670
if you get sprayed with tear-gas, pepper spray, mace, or god forbid some actual mustard gas or worse, a simple filter mouth piece is not going to do jack shit. Your eyes will burn and melt, and the stronger shit will do the same to any exposed skin.

Considering you can get perfectly fine, modern-ish surplus Brit or Israeli 40mm filter gasmasks for couple dozen bucks + a brand new can with 10y shelf life for another, there's little reason to not get one, if you consider it necessary.
>>
>>29835688
Thanks, it will be added into my BoB, would a hazmat suit be necessary or would garbage bags / duct tape work?
>>
File: FDF rubber suit.jpg (290 KB, 595x1517) Image search: [Google]
FDF rubber suit.jpg
290 KB, 595x1517
>>29835735
if you got a serious risk of being exposed to NBC threats, a mere gasmask is only going to provide minimal comfort, as in keep the worst shit from entering your lungs and eyes.

Even the most basic rubbery "rainsuit" type NBC set would provide decent protection from irritating and corrosive agents, and would cost just few bucks at best. You still should prolly duct tape the sleeves tight and also wear gloves.
>>
Safety first
>>
File: 1461301648579.jpg (2 MB, 1969x1703) Image search: [Google]
1461301648579.jpg
2 MB, 1969x1703
>>29835670
>>
>>29835688
You're retarded.

Tear gas and pepper spray can be countered with a lot of different shit, but I DO NOT recommend old surplus (even if it's just a little old). Instead use industry standard masks (2 piece preferably) with proper filters.

In the case of mustard gas, you'd better be 100% sealed off (this is the one case I'd recommend a full mask/suit) cause otherwise you're about to get dicked up real bad.
>>
File: 1403635794023.jpg (102 KB, 880x900) Image search: [Google]
1403635794023.jpg
102 KB, 880x900
>>29836067
>you're retarded
brilliant opening.

And no, a well kept surplus gear like masks seldom have gone "bad" during the years. This shit usually has sat in some warehouses and bunkers, waiting for SHTF, so most of the time the masks tend to be in mind condition.
It's also easy to test their air-proofness: just block the inhaling vent with your hand, and try to breath in; if you can't get breath and the mask starts to suck into your face, it's in good condition.

It's the cans that expire quickly, and it's not wise to breath through some Cold War era filters in the first place.

We agree about the mustard though. I recommended full suit + extra carefulness with sealing the openings at >>29835795
>>
>>29836125
I'm not talking about masks expiring, I'm talking about how they were never very good in the first place and were often made with poisonous materials.
>>
>>29836625
The only things that are usually "poisonous" are the filters which you can easily purchase an brand new filter. This negates your stupid argument.
>>
>>29835688
>Implying mustard gas would be used over nerve agents (which don't "melt" flesh)
>Fucking mustard gas

It's just as easy to make tabun or sarin with a proper materials and chemists.
>>
>>29835539
But he does, unless you're talking about cutscenes, those are pre-rendered.
>>
>>29835688
Just do what the Canadians used to do m8, and just use a piss soaked rag
>>
>>29835688
>your eyes will burn and melt
>eyes will melt
>melt

wew lad
>>
File: dbb.jpg (112 KB, 566x800) Image search: [Google]
dbb.jpg
112 KB, 566x800
Radioactive particles, chemical anomalies, the poison gases in Jupiter-1 and Zaton, maybe even fucking asbestos.
>>
>>29839500
>maybe even fucking asbestos.
>fucking asbestos
>asbestos
Fucking hell
>>
>>29835505
What is dust? What are irradiated particles? Also whatever the hell has been stirred up in those sealed labs
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.