[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just picked one of these up for $300 as my first handgun. Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: SD9VE.jpg (165 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
SD9VE.jpg
165 KB, 600x400
Just picked one of these up for $300 as my first handgun. Is it /k/ approved? Brand-new, in box; is there anything I need to do to it to make it better functioning?

Forgive any language that doesn't make sense, I'm fairly new to guns.
>>
Put the barrel in your ass while it's loaded and then pull the trigger
>>
>>29832586
Thanks.
>>
>>29832586
Well that was salty.
>>
>>29832577
Its a pretty decent starter pistol. 300 NIB is a good price too.

Enjoy, welcome to the hazguns club.
>>
>>29832577
Pretty good, though the trigger is ass. You can make it slightly less ass with an apex trigger kit, but you'll still need a postage stamp for the trigger pull.
>>
>>29832577
Field strip it (remove the slide, recoil spring, guide rod, and barrel) and clean any packing grease out of it. Once clean, lubricate it with gun oil (motor oil will work as well).

The Sigma is a reliable cheap gun, they aren't great in any aspect, but work. If you actually want to upgrade it get an apex trigger and sear.

But before diving into mods, I'd recommend spending your shekels on ammo and mags.
>>
>>29832577
ammunition and practice shooting regularly.
>>
>>29832599
It came with two 16 round magazines. How many would you recommend? I bought a couple hundred rounds on my way out the door so I think I should be OK in that regard.

What's wrong with the trigger that I'll need to replace it?
>>
>>29832577
>Is it /k/ approved?

No it isn't and you're a fag for not buying a shield for that price.

Now cue the other poorfag that has one and says something along the lines of "if et gous bheng, its gud : ^)"
>>
>>29832623
It's very heavy and long. It's hard to pull the trigger without also moving your sights during the pull.
>>
File: usp is love usp is life1.jpg (2 MB, 3185x2545) Image search: [Google]
usp is love usp is life1.jpg
2 MB, 3185x2545
>>29832623
Two is fine, but if you really want to get into shooting, i'd have at least 4 on hand. I buy ammo by the case online (roughly $220 for 1k shipped to your door). The trigger is gritty and long, and just isn't what the shooting community generally considers "good", it will be fine to learn on though. Once you have the basics down, if you decide it's something you really like doing you can move up to a more expensive firearm and relegate the sigma to glovebox duty or something of that nature. If you don't really get bitten by the shooting bug, it will serve your purposes for everything you do.

Also, as a side note, I wasn't trying to make you have buyers remorse with the trigger comments. It's just an acceptable gun for not a lot of money. You could have done much worse for a first gun.
>>
>>29832638
Why is the Shield a better gun in your opinion? Not looking to get crucified here, just genuinely curious and want to learn more about this stuff.
>>
>>29832638
>Recommending a shield for a first gun.

Nogunz detected.
>>
>>29832638
Why are we all so rude to newgunz?

We need to be constructive so they don't go full militant nogunz on us.

Good job at least picking a decent brand OP, have fun shooting it. If you decide to carry it, I would recommend looking at a Shield as a trade in...sweet little dream of a pistol.

Now go buy a fun shotgun or BLECK RIFEL
>>
>>29832664
It's not a good gun for a beginner. It's a great concealed carry weapon, but if you start on a Shield you will learn bad habits.
>>
>>29832577
Should've bought a ruger instead
>>
>>29832638
>Recommending a shield as a first gun
Shiggy diggy m80
>>
>>29832664
>The shield is a good carry weapon because its slim, simple, has good ergonomics and pretty nice accuracy for its size. I gave mine to my wife but it was certainly more accurate than I am.

I would have kept mine except I'm a lefty and the manual safety was basically inoperable for me. People will lambast me for wanting to carry with the safety on, but frankly even if I left it off -which I tend to- it would STILL bug me, without end, that I couldn't use it.

I'm just like that.

Having only been shooting pistols for a few years I can attest that having a nice full grip is much better to learn control and develop your habits than a small compact model. You might also consider a revolver in .22 if you want to develop awesome trigger pull. My revolver helps me a lot in that respect...I have a .357 but shoot .38s for practice.
>>
>>29832664
Yeah, don't listen to that fag. You dun gud. Save your shekels and order ammo in bulk online as long as you legally can in your zip code.

Shoot a couple thousand rounds while working on accuracy and then you can decide if you want to buy a CCW pistol.

Start out shooting at seven yards (or meters if your country has never put a man in the moon,) at a paper plate or if at a shooting range shoot at a FBI style silhouette. When you can reliably keep a ten round group around one or two inches (3-5cm), move the target to ten yards. Wash, rinse, and repeat at ten, then fifteen, then twenty, and finally at twenty-five yards. This will likely take a lot of range visits and a couple hundred rounds, but going slow is the best way to learn.

Good luck, and enjoy.
>>
>>29832780
*on the moon not in it. Fucking android keyboard.
>>
File: 1459090249155.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459090249155.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>29832770
>recommending a shield as a first gun
>>
File: 1439354583605.jpg (971 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
1439354583605.jpg
971 KB, 3264x1840
>>29832655
I dig your non-stainless USP anon.

Would love to have one myself. I recently bought an FNX and really like it, but....someday.

Someday.

I happened to be in a Cabela's one day killing time and was browsing their gun counter. Saw a single H&K, can't even remember what model.

>Asked the clerk if they had any other 'Heckler and Koch' handguns.
>"Who?"
>...."Heckler and Koch? H and K? German arms company?"

I am a little stupefied at this point. Then he chuckles.

>"Sorry buddy, haven't heard of em."
>He seriously doesn't know
>He called me bud

I have only been in there one more time and I avoid it at all costs. I refuse to ever even look at their gun section again. How offensive.

ABSOLUTELY TRIGGERED
>>
>>29832780
Thanks! I live in Washington state so I don't think that will be a problem. Not like we have the most lax gun laws in the country but they're not overtly terrible I don't think. I also picked up a 1917 Enfield for around $180 to fuck around with.

/k/, you're too nice for a board on 4chan.
>>
>>29832790
I wasn't. I greentexted the wrong text and somehow missed like a whole paragraph of my post. Fucking phone anyway.

I was trying to say it's something good to move on to as a carry option if he decides to stick with the lifestyle. But yeah, not a great first pistol. I supported his pick a few posts up:

>>29832680
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 700x465) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 700x465
>>29832790
I'd get one sooner than a fucking budget s&w
>shitty guns
>beginner guns
>>
File: 1446990605957.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446990605957.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>29832577
It's a pistol that I've recommended to people claiming to not have enough money to buy a Glock, but it's not something I'd ever own myself. There's nothing really wrong with it. It just gives a sort of cheap vibe, and I can't fall in love with it.

By the way, a lot of the people who have and will continue to post in this thread have and will continue to have a lot of difficulty understanding that the SD9VE (or SD40VE, if you got that) isn't the same gun as the now discontinued S&W Sigma that preceded it. Any post that mentions the trigger being "ass" or "20 pounds" is one of these very confused, stupid people. The SD9VE trigger is just a hair heavier than an M&P trigger, but it's actually a pretty decent trigger. Importantly, it's an entirely different design than the trigger on the Sigma.

Observe:
>>29832596
>though the trigger is ass.
>>29832599
>>The Sigma is a reliable cheap gun, they aren't great in any aspect, but work. If you actually want to upgrade it get an apex trigger and sear.
>>29832640
>It's very heavy and long. It's hard to pull the trigger without also moving your sights during the pull.
>>29832655
>The trigger is gritty and long, and just isn't what the shooting community generally considers "good",
None of these people have ever handled the gun they are so freely offering their opinions on.
>>
>>29832826
>learning to shoot on a subcompact single stack
>>
>>29832835

>>29832596 here. I may be fairly new to guns, but I have fired several hundred rounds through my SD9VE, which was my first gun. I also have an M1 Garand, a moist nugget, and a kentucky pistol, and have fired an AR-15, a 10/22 and a 22/45. There's also dozens of guns I've finger fucked to feel the trigger because using the SD9VE has made me so thirsty for a cleaner trigger.

The thing is though that of all those guns, the only trigger I've felt arguably worse than the SD9VE's was the one on the Kentucky pistol, and at least that's a clean break when you put >15 pounds on it and has no real take up.

I've never fired a sigma so I don't know how much it's "improved," but it's not a good trigger for accuracy or reset.
>>
>>29832812
It really is odd how many people don't know of H&K considering their pedigree and history of innovation.

Regardless, I love both the USP's, they have been dead reliable and run great. I'm turning the stainless one into a faux Match to get my Lara Croft fetish going.
>>
>>29832819
Pic's of Enfield new friend.
>>
>>29832908
Since you haven't shot any other striker-fired handguns (I honestly have no clue what "kentucky pistol" is supposed to mean), I don't think you are really aware of the difference between things like trigger grit, creep, overtravel, and so forth, which are probably what you noticed as "bad" qualities (and which tend to confound many shooters of other striker-fired handguns, Glocks included). The Sigma legitimately had a badly designed trigger.

The Sigma trigger had a 16 pound break, which is practically like a staple gun. The SD9VE trigger breaks around 8 pounds, and the M&P trigger is advertised to break around 6.5 lbs. None of these triggers are very smooth in practice, but there is a huge power gap between the Sigma and the other two.

Of course, everything can be improved with aftermarket trigger kits, but the Sigma's trigger has a legitimately bad reputation, which the SD9VE doesn't deserve.
>>
>>29832835
>Implying I don't own an SD9VE because I said the trigger is gritty and long.

It is, deal with it.
>>
>>29833004
Not implying. Explicitly accusing you of confusing the two guns, and now of playing damage control. If I was mistaken, then I apologize.
>>
>>29833015
It was my first gun, the trigger is not good by any stretch. It isn't as bad as the original Sigma, but it doesn't have anything in the way of a tactile or audible reset, it is grittier than say a Ruger SR-series (which I also own, and is in the same price range), and has an overall sponginess that would never be considered "crisp". The above qualities mention make it an objectively bad trigger.

It is one of the worst out of the box striker fired triggers on the market, but IS considerably better than what it replaced, which is telling of the direction the market as a whole is headed, but nobody will confuse it for a PPQ or even a Glock trigger.

Also, no need to apologize, I don't care either way what you think, but there is no need to try and butter up the SD9VE when it has obvious shortcomings. It isn't a bad gun, but it is what it is, cheap and reliable.
>>
>>29833002
A Kentucky pistol is basically a sawn off muzzle loading rifle. Mine is from one of those CVA kits they used to sell.

It's true I haven't tried a lot of striker fired pistols since I haven't really been in the market for one after getting the SD9VE, so I might just not have a very realistic expectation for what that kind of action can do.

People who are used to glocks however have told me they didn't like it, so I assume striker fired handguns can do better unless their view on it is tainted by the sigma stigma.
>>
>>29833002
if you ignore the sheer weight of the sw9ves trigger its not that bad
it has a more consistent reset than the old m&ps

the weight is pretty unacceptable though
>>
>>29833077
>>29833083
I'm guessing that your being a beginner handgun shooter had something to do with your labeling it a "terrible" gun.

>>29833090
What "sheer weight"? Did you read my post? Don't answer because I know you didn't.
>>
>>29833106
sw9ve not sd

the original sigma being a straight glock knockoff actualy had a quite decent trigger but youve probably never held one and think the sw9ve is the "sigma"
>>
>>29833106
I still own it friend.

Also, I never labeled it as terrible, so there is no need to use quotes. I'm honestly not sure where you got "terrible" out of my post, I can understand average, or unremarkable, but not terrible.

If you truly like the gun, that is great, but don't make it out to be more than it is.
>>
>>29833106
I didn't say it was a terrible gun. Also, I'm only one of those posts, there's two people here who have the SD9VE and not been enthusiastic about the trigger.

I like it as a gun and I don't regret buying it. It's still the gun I keep loaded by my bed for home defense. It just has a kind of icky feeling trigger and it isn't something I'd shoot a lot just for fun.
>>
>>29832577
Put a thousand rounds through it and then decide if you want to do trigger and spring kit changes on it or not. As far as I know, only Apex makes a replacement trigger - it's the same one as for the sigma. Also, don't buy a Wolf spring kit. They are shit and will cause you to FTF all day long.

You can also try polishing the sear, but at some point, you're putting more time and effort into this gun than its worth.
>>
>>29832577
They fly, it's either one of these, a Rock Island, or a Walther P1, when it's around your price range (all three do fine). Ruger also has some good stuff for that kind of cash.

>>29832586
Rude.

>>29832697
I'd say a Ruger P80/P95 is roughly on par with the SD9VE, about the same capacity, about the same quality, one is hammer fired, the other is striker fired, it's a matter of preference.

>>29832819
>I also picked up a 1917 Enfield for around $180
Not bad! Ammo isn't as dirt cheap as it used to be way back in the day, but Sellier & Bellot (S&B) and Prvi Partizan (PPU) are quite agreeable in price for their quality, and I think either Wolf or Tula makes cheap steel cased .303
>>
>>29833002
>but the Sigma's trigger has a legitimately bad reputation, which the SD9VE doesn't deserve
The Sigma in general gives the SD#VE line a bad rep.

I honestly think the Sigma is a bigger mistake than the Hillary Hole, because you can plug those and pretend they don't exist, undo them basically.
>>
>>29835939
I was referring to the 9e. It has a 17rd mag, better trigger, and better sights than the sr9. Although the older steel framed rugers are a good choice too
>>
File: Ruger-P85.jpg (200 KB, 750x542) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-P85.jpg
200 KB, 750x542
>>29836151
The old alloy framed Ruger pistols are generally pretty dependable, especially given how cheap they are.

I recall a story from a guy on here, his dad found a box behind his toilet chair one day, turned out, it was a fucking Ruger P85 in it's box, unopened, still shrinkwrapped, apparently the previous owner of the house must have left it there sometime in the 80's, and it had sat there ever since, untouched, mint condition.

Do Ruger still make this line? You'd think a decent quality automatic in the $300 range would bring in good cash still.
>>
>>29832835
Yes, the trigger on the SD9VE is shitty and long and gritty. It is also better than the Sigma. it also gets called the Sigma pretty often because it's an improved version of the Sigma with the name changed to avoid the negative connotations.

All of that said, it's a decent little gun let down by a mediocre trigger, but as long as you're not trying to shoot competition or expecting to shoot incredibly well with it, it's good. The Apex trigger and spring kit bring it down from about a 12# pull to a 6.5#, and the trigger replacement is Glock safety-in-shoe style which feels more consistent and crisp than the hinge-safety design. More importantly, it's only about sixty bucks- or just twenty if you only want the springs, which are the really important part- for the apex kit.

For about half the price of a Glock, it's great. And if you ever feel like learning basic handgun modification, it's a great place to start- trigger jobs are pretty easy.

The one big "bad" thing about it is that the aftermarket is pretty shitty. Especially on the magazines. It's a console/game or razor/blades model. Maybe get one extra magazine, but if you start to consider getting more, seriously think about reselling the gun to get a Glock or M&P. You'll get a better gun, with cheaper and more available magazines.

Congratulations on your first handgun, go practice a bunch.
>>
>>29836883
The SR9 series is actually pretty damn good. I don't like Ruger handguns in general, but the SR# series is actually really solid. They don't fit right in my hand, but that's not a real issue with the gun, and the 9e or 9 is really a question of if you want adjustable sights and an extra magazine in the 9.

The Ruger American is fucking trash, though.
>>
File: xd.png (861 KB, 1200x782) Image search: [Google]
xd.png
861 KB, 1200x782
imma just squeeze in here instead of starting another thread.
newgun fag here, been lurking for a bit. Just bought pic related, 4" barrel, 9mm. under $400 with 2 mags and cheap case. thoughts/comments/concerns?
>>
>>29837127
>under $400 with 2 mags and cheap case
You did pretty good actually.
>>
>>29837160
thought it was a good deal. any thoughts on the gun?
>>
>>29837018
I'm a pretty big Ruger fan and love my 9e and sr9c. I finally rented the American last week. I wanted to like it, but it was just meh.
>>
Is that a sigma? Oh god...That trigger pull gives me nightmares. Sell it to a dindu for what you paid and get yourself an M&P used.
>>
>>29832592
Just enough for your shitty gun can rust.
>>
>>29836883
>Do Ruger still make this line?
No, but they were very popular, so there's a huge supply of used guns out there.
>>
>>29837001
>>29833130
>>29833090
>all this damage control
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.