[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/ I need your wisdom and expertise with a hypothetical wea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 39
/k/ I need your wisdom and expertise with a hypothetical weapon design from a movie.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/(Deep_Rising)_-_M1-L1_Triple-Pulse_Rifle

It's basically a Calico minigun with a cooling system and 1000 round magazine, chambered in .223.

I believe it would be completely possible, with a new type of ammunition.

I'm posting the rest of what I have to say below this, pleaee check it out.

I'd like to see if this would be possible, how useful it would be, and what it's place would be in humanities arsenal.
>>
the main problem for miniguns has been power supply and ammo supply. 1000 rounds of 223 is roughly 30 pounds. a battery to run such a thing is not really fun to haul around. now, you're going to be chewing through a lot of ammo with that thing, so that means a lot of both will have to be carried by the operator and his compatriots.

use? high volume firepower is always nice to have. practicality? not very because of the above.
>>
File: AngelArms_IPC_ammunition_400.jpg (25 KB, 400x331) Image search: [Google]
AngelArms_IPC_ammunition_400.jpg
25 KB, 400x331
The main issue would be the ammo. How the hell could you fit ONE THOUSAND .223 rounds in a helical magazine that only holds one hundred 9mm??

Pic related. I think a few modifications to the basic principle behind this Angel Arms concept would make it possible.

I'm thinking about the entire cartridge being only slightly larger than a .223 bullet.

A copper jacket surrounding a hard cast lead core(to discourage excessive fragmentation), and a small hollow cavity at the back containing the most efficient propellant it can. It would not be able to use traditional smokeless powder.

No primer, either... something like a plastic explosive, except it deflagrates very rapidly instead of deronating... that way it would be electrically ignited. Waterproof propellant, too.

Is it realistic or feasible?

A soldier could easily carry this weapon and a few magazines, having THOUSANDS of rounds on his person.

I think a weapon like this would be amazing.

Please help me out, give me some advice and let me know what you think.
>>
File: lyWY7yn.png (160 KB, 1605x643) Image search: [Google]
lyWY7yn.png
160 KB, 1605x643
>>29831763

You missed what I said. The ammo would not have a cartridge. It would fire the entire bullet, and the base of the bullet would be hollow like a minie ball, containing a waterproof and rigid propellant that could be electrically ignited.

It wouldn't take much electricity, it could have rechargeable li-ion batteries that get the barrels spinning and from then out the rest of the barrels could spin without battery assistance by redirecting gas or mechanical action. The battery could recharge from a recoil mechanism, or something like an alternator that charges the battery when the barrels are spinning under their own power.

It would be complex at first but after development, it could be become much more simple.

Imagine it, dude. Each soldier could carry 5 thousand rounds of ammo.
>>
File: deeprisingmonstermouth.jpg (20 KB, 370x200) Image search: [Google]
deeprisingmonstermouth.jpg
20 KB, 370x200
Oh, here's the wiki to the gun from the movie.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/(Deep_Rising)_-_M1-L1_Triple-Pulse_Rifle

I know we have the technology to build this thing, and I know it would be an amazing addition to our nations arsenal.
>>
File: Minie_Balls.jpg (195 KB, 629x475) Image search: [Google]
Minie_Balls.jpg
195 KB, 629x475
Here's the basic design of what the bullet would be. Like an old minie ball.

Packed with propellant that's electrically ignited.

The batteries would only need to function long enough to get the firing cycle started, then after that gas tubes and mechanical action driven by the propellant would continue the cycle while charging the batteries back to 100%.

Honestly, if the gas operation can be made efficient enough, it might not even need a battery. That would be amazing, but I've got no idea how to design it and I think that would mean the first few shots would be slower and after it spins up it would go to full speed after a few shots.

I think this is an amazing concept! We can learn so much about movies. Remember the OICW concept? Instead of dumping tons of R&D into it, if they just went ahead and tried to make the Pulse Rifle from Aliens, it would be done already.
>>
>>29831855
>it would fire the entire bullet

so caseless ammo?
>>
>>29831687
there is no benefit to running .223 through a rotary barrel arrangement unless you plan on have a rate of fire into the thousands of rounds per minute - something that could not be sustained easily, nor be easily man portable
>>
>>29831795
extremely poor terminal ballistics as it lost mass in flight, was easily deformed by most barriers or hard surfaces, and pushing it to lethal velocities with rdx derivatives puts a real risk of just blowing up your gun because of static friction and the speed of detonation. using a more conventional priming compound and fast burning pistol powder would give you a very compact handgun that would fair poorly beyond meaningful ranges and against barriers.

carrying thousands of rounds of largely underwhelming pistol ammunition is significantly worse than just using normal ammunition.
>>
>>29831855
no. there's no point to a hand held minigun as you would chew through ammunition, even carrying your vaunted thousands of rounds, in a matter of minutes. one second of firing most rotary barreled actions uses a dozen or more shots.

under a certain rate of fire, you are better off with a more efficient feeding and extraction system with a single barrel.

you idea of using electrically primed caseless never panned out when it was tried in the 80's because the accuracy was garbage, energy was trash and was overall a horrible performer at any meanginful engagement ranges. eventually it was advertised for super compact handguns, but nobody cared because they were 50 times the normal price of more available, less expensive, and just as lethal conventional arms.
>>
>>29831795
During the development of the G11, H&K discovered that brass casings latently functioned as heat sinks in conventional firearms. Removing them via caseless ammunition resulted in overheating problems that were never resolved. So while going caseless might lower the weight of mini gun's magazine, it would likely overheat extremely quickly and necessitate an active cooling system that would require additional power and add weight.
>>
File: 4p2xdes.jpg (25 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
4p2xdes.jpg
25 KB, 500x407
>>29832408

....yes, but no. The bullet is both the cartridge and the projectile, so it would still act as a heatsink of sorts by removing heat from the system, albeit not as well as traditional cartridges.

>>29832422

Yes, there is. Heat management. Each barrel Could technically have its own chamber, I suppose and the weight of multibarreled systems could be lessened by overlapping the barrels. Instead of multiple barrels, it's just one. Make sense?

This is all just top of my head stuff but my logic appears sound.

And the fire rate would normally be within the same range as traditional automatics, the reason for multiple barrels is because it's role would be fire support and it would need to have multiple barrels to prevent overheating.

Remember, the thing carries 1000 rounds of ammo and a soldier could carry thousands more in just a few mags.

And, yes if the bore axis is low enough a fire rate over a thousand rpm would be sustainable for short periods. Suppressive fire isn't meant to be very accurate, after all. It could be though, gas systems could operate the barrel rotation as well as a recoil reducer ala super v. Nothing much, probably just a weighty piston made from something dense. There are tons of things that could be done to the design. Trying to make it have all the bells and whistles would be interesting but it's not necessary. It's just something that should be able to crank out 5 thousand rounds in ten minutes without breaking. I think it's possible and I think the DoD should read my thread.

And yes it would be man portable.

I'm pretty much trying to create a concept for the ultimate suppressive fire weapon that can still be an effective battle rifle via fire mode selections.

Look at these pictures and read what I'm saying.

I'll draw a picture to tell you what I meant about reducing weight on a multiple barrel system
>>
File: IMG_20160504_002240.jpg (224 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160504_002240.jpg
224 KB, 1024x768
>>29832422

Here's the pic I promised.

See? It's not a lot of barrels, rather it's one barrel with a bunch of bores. Less weight, same benefits. Best of both worlds.

>>29832454

I used them as a reference. Read the thread. Look at what I said about minie balls. Those were the most deadly bullets in their time. I said "it would be like a minie ball with the propellant inside the cavity. I think Angel Arms cartridge was a diamond in the rough. It could be refined and solve most problems with caseless ammo.

The idea is to have a slightly longer .223 bullet with a cavity in the base for propellant that is electrically ignited, and the propellant would have to be very efficient and waterproof. It could perform identically to modern cartridges used in battle rifles.

>>29832505

That's irrelevant. In the 80s cell phones were the size of bricks. We have obviously gotten more technologically advanced, which means we can make older concepts work. The F35 is ludicrously expensive and we already have tons of planes that work fine, but we are still dumping money into it.

Alternative weapons were never given the attention they deserved and the failures from old concepts can now be remedied with our technological advances.

>>29832512

My idea is to make the bullet itself something of a heat sink, and the multiple barrels will have multiple chambers and there will be a cooling system.

So heat is not an issue with this design.

It's meant to pump out thousands of bullets, and be light enough so one soldier can carry many thousands of rounds on him without it being excessively heavy. This gun would make one machine gunner able to be as effective as an entire platoon of machine gunners.

This concept is literally a quantum leap. It will increase a soldier's firepower by an order of magnitude.

All the arguments you guys are using are invalid. The problems with heat, caseless ammo, and Angel Arms concept cartridge are all solved by what I've said in these posts.
>>
>>29832741
>All the arguments you guys are using are invalid.
sure fine, whatever. go build a proto, get funding and make your dream. maybe it'll work out. it probably won't for a variety of reasons including:

1. cost benefit
2. weight
3. longevity
4. expense to produce
5. expense to procure
6. needless complexity
7. no significant improvement to lethality
8. you don't seem to have much understanding of rotary barreled firearms, so try and fix that too before you infringe on a patent or build something unworkable.
9. requirement of (without significant re-engineering) poorly performing ammunition at long range, or against even light barriers.
10. "increasing" a soldier's firepower wouldn't happen because it would be too heavy, too complicated, and would zip through any ammunition you carried in very short periods of time without any meaningful benefit over a single barreled machinegun they have now that uses conventional ammunition.

you sound like one of the metal-storm koolaid drinkers.
>>
>>29831687
>1000 round magazine, chambered in .223
show me a helical feed 5.56 1k round magazine that isn't 10 feet long.
>>
>>29832741
your design is shit.

the only weight you are saving there is the 3 barrel bands, all while losing ability to dissipate heat.

There is a reason the minigun is designed as it is, and I guarantee that those scientists who designed it were paid a pretty taxpayer penny for their ingenuity.
I guess what I'm trying to say is: A fuckin retard who has no degree and doodles on paper while in class at school, isnt going to outsmart a 1960's scientist who paid attention during physics and practical metallurgy courses.
>>
>>29832834
And just so you dont think Im that guy over there>>29832791

I wanna tell you more than one person finds you to be retarded and delusional. Your ideas sound great on paper, but unless you can change the rules of physics and metallurgical properties of steel and lead, they are not going to work like you think they are.
>>
>>29831763

There are gas operated miniguns but they are in autocannon calibers. Don't know if it would work in .223 without making the mechanism infeasibly light
>>
>>29832791

>cost benefit
One mg troop able to give better fire support as an entire squad means less of them have to be trained. It would pay for itself in short order by human costs alone.
>weight
The brass, primer, and gunpowder weigh more than the projectile. I imagine it would weigh around as much as a M240 with ammo. But it would have an order of magnitude more ammo.
>expensive to produce, procure, needlessly complex
That's literally every new weapons concept. You're complaining about the system every new thing goes through. "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win". And the bullets I'm conceptualizing will actually be simpler and cheaper to produce after mass production. Remember, there's no cartridge and no primer.
>no significant improvement to lethality
Actually there is, and its by an order of magnitude. How many rounds of ammo do mg troops carry? A few hundred? That's a far cry from a few thousand.
>you don't seem to understand rotary barrel firearms
I know enough. We've been using the same minigun designs and theory for the better part of a century. It's time they evolved.
>long range, armor piercing
Fire support isn't sniping, and it would have the same performance of any .223 at penetrating barriers. It might actually have better performance because if you recall, I said the core would be hard cast lead. It would actually penetrate better than any non AP .223 any military uses, because none of them use hard cast lead.
>zip through ammo, too heavy, too complicated, what we have now is better

You know it took the military decades to adapt cartridge ammunition? Our military seems to be dumb sometimes and afraid of change even its blatantly obvious that it's the better choice. And you think it would zip through ammo? No! A MG trooper would run out of ammo long before a MG gunner with my concept weapon simply because he would carry THOUSANDS MORE BULLETS.

It would weigh around the same as a fully loaded M240
>>
>>29831687
>Vladof.jpg
>>
File: IMG_20160504_012113.jpg (236 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160504_012113.jpg
236 KB, 1024x768
>>29832804

Sorry, my pen crapped out.

You see the .223 cartridge on the left, obviously. A thousand rounds of that in a helical mag would indeed be huge

However, I'm not talking about a thousand round helical magazine using .223 cartridges.

See that thing on the left that looks like it's just a bullet? It has a hollow space on the bottom where the propellant goes. It is nowhere near as large and heavy as the traditional .223 cartridge on the left. However, the specialty propellant is more powerful that the powder charge in the cartridge on the left, so you can get the same performance without needing a lot of space.

Because it takes up ten times less room than the cartridge on the left, you can carry ten times more ammo.

YOU GUYS SEE? I told you I'm only using Angel Arms picture here >>29831795 as a reference to try to communicate the concept in my head.

So, yes, because the ammunition is so small, I believe it's obvious you could carry a whole bunch in a magazine.

The picture is just a rough sketch, it wouldn't be the finished project obviously, but I hope it's letting you know exactly what I'm thinking about and why you could have a thousand rounds in each magazine if the magazine was designed to be efficient and not waste space, too
>>
>>29833117
the cases act as heat sinks in normal guns. guns with exceedingly high rates of fires, like, miniguns and gatling guns already overheat like crazy as it is. while the design might be plausible, the materials that would make this feasible either a) dont exist yet, or b) cost a little more then its weight in gold
>>
>>29833145
just for reference, youll see people get empty brass dumped down their shirt and they jump like its a hot potato. if a single shot heats up brass so much it burns the skin, think about how much heat sinking you lose. the amount of heat, enough to burn human flesh is now dispersed directly into the gun. so, no heatsink + wildly faster fire rate + wildly larger amount of ammo = melted metal slag pile
>>
>>29832834

No, that's not the only place I'm saving weight. Look again. One bore is incorporated into two other bores without losing integrity. I'm saving weight.

However you are correct, that means heat will dissipate between barrels. I'm aware of that.

THAT IS WHY THERE IS A COOLING SYSTEM.

Do you post in navy threads? I bet you accuse battleship fans of being retarded for believing in antiquated technology and old designs.

Minigun designs are just as old and antiquated, I'm posting improvements, and you just can't comprehend it. I'm casting pearls before swine.

I would go with a barrel system kinda like the heligun because it can fire just as fast as a six barreled minigun with only two barrels, but I want multiple bores and more mass to help prevent overheating.

I've obviously put more thought into this than you think I did.

>the minigun designers were brilliant and deserved the money and fame they got

OH YEA, like that's not a crock of shit. They stood on the shoulders of giants and mechanized a hand crank assembly by literally adding a fucking CAR STARTER AND BATTERY.

My design and ideals for what I'd want the final product to be are much more sophisticated and more unique while still being better. I admit I stand on giants shoulders too, but I'm at least trying to make unique changes and advances to the design.

>>29832858

I'm not doing the things you to I'm doing.

You just aren't letting my ideas swirl around in your head long enough and your jumping to premature conclusions.

>>29832866

You're criticism is sound but remember the volume of gasses involved. It's firing around 1000 rpm, dude. That's a lot of gas to work with. It's a lot of power pulses.
>>
>>29833145

This is why I mentioned cooling systems and modifying the bullet design so it can act as a partial heat sink.

The design of this isn't at all like the caseless ammo you're thinking of. It's different.

And yes, the gun would still get hot as fuck, but that's not a problem because the propellant isn't activated by heat and the gun won't get hot enough to melt.

So, in theory, it should be functional. Look at the pic in >>29831795, see how the propellant is surrounded by brass? That brass will still act as a heat sink. Not as effective as traditional cartridges of course, but every little bit helps and that's kinda my philosophy.

The goal is for the materials to last until the soldier runs out of ammo.

And, remember, even if the gunner only carries one magazine into battle, he would still have more ammunition than any machine gunner even if he has a friend helping in carry ammo.
>>
>>29833224
>THAT IS WHY THERE IS A COOLING SYSTEM.
>Do you post in navy threads? I bet you accuse battleship fans of being retarded for believing in antiquated technology and old designs.
navel ships happen to be about a billion times larger, and have powerplants and cooling systems...a little bigger then a man can carry, i would guess. heres a real life comparison. the lsat? its got telecoping plastic cases or whatever, right? not even truely caseless, and its got overheating problems and its not even a multibarreled or fast firing gun to begin with. and no matter what cooling system you come up with, its never going to beat the cheapness and simplicity of: swapping a singular barrel.

oh, and the reason they design miniguns like that, with the big stupid "empty" spaces instead of combining it all, is for cooling. the big stupid banded minigun? 95% of each of its barrel is exposed to free air. your mini-mini one? the outer surface. like. 10%. do the maths.
>>
>>29832454
With that kind of weapon isn't it more about suppression than anything else? Maybe in 5.7 rather than 5.56?
>>
File: AngelArms_QT_427_folding_300.jpg (13 KB, 300x387) Image search: [Google]
AngelArms_QT_427_folding_300.jpg
13 KB, 300x387
OP here, this is the pistol that goes with >>29831795

I'll be back to respond to criticism and ideas shortly. I had to shower.
>>
>>29833319

I could easily modify my design to include water jackets, so it could be cooled kinda like a car motor.

Yes I'm making a complex fantasy gun, but I'm trying to mentally design it so that it relies on battery power as little as possible. I'd only want battery assist for the first rotation or two, the rest can be done by gas or mechanical mechanisms.

And you're very right, I'm not good at analogies. And yes, a barrel swap is still the obvious solution.

I'm just saying, we've come so far in the last century that surely there are many more alternatives than we can think of. Perhaps the propellant can be activated with a primary reaction and the secondary reaction can be much cooler while still providing rapid gaseous expansion?

Dude, I'm just one man and I'm not an expert but I know damn well that if the countries brightest minds wanted to build a gun like this, it would be built.
>>
Couldn't you fill the gun with helium to make it lighter?
>>
File: 1454474295854.gif (3 MB, 452x254) Image search: [Google]
1454474295854.gif
3 MB, 452x254
>>29833504

listen dude, go to college and get a degree in mechanical engineering and try to start figuring this shit out. You'll see that it wont add up. Sure using propellant to maintain the gun is possible but even then it would be more efficient to use the weapon in short burst negating the only viable design feature. Everything else has already been shot to pieces by others.
>>
>>29833378

OP here. While I appreciate his educated and historical response, it appeared to me that he didn't understand I wasn't wanting to make a carbon copy of Angel Arms bullets... I wanted to use it as a reference. I don't want to use gunpowder or primers, and I'd want it to have hard copper clad hard cast lead instead of just a copper bullet. I said that earlier in the thread.
Also, I can't recall who all was talking about the space... and yes from the beginning I suspected to get a 1000 round helical mag, even if the ammo is tiny, it might need to be slightly larger than the calico magazines.

I honestly don't know which magazine style would be most space efficient. Frankly I don't think calicos are particularly space efficient but there has to be some way to improve their capacity..

I'm just not smart or experienced enough to know
>>
>>29833504
>water jackets
There just went any hope of saving weight you thought you had.
>>
How are you handling recoil with such an obscene firing rate? If the rounds have enough velocity to be useful they will produce recoil and at 1000 rpms you are getting significant recoil.

Also suppression is about sustaining fire on target not just rate of fire.

It takes approximately 3 rounds in as many seconds followed by at least one every 3 after that to reliably suppress. Such a fire rate isn't necessary.
>>
>>29831687
Drone mounted baby. You thinking this has to be for a human. Think mounting it on Big Dog.
>>
>>29832046
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Ball
>>
>>29833626

Hmm. What if you made a rocket ball bullet and put it on the end of a conventional style cartridge?
>>
>>29833544
staph you retard.
>>
>>29831687

If you make that gun then it means that fucking squid /whatever the hell monstrousity thing is real, so please don't.
>>
Not OP, and a bit of a sore subject on /k/, but i think electronics and actuators are miniaturized and rugged enough, and reliable enough, to begin putting into line rifles. Keep in mind that manual backups will be the norm..

Imagine a rifle that self charged after putting in a mag. Imagine a rifle that automatically cleared hangfires, ftes, and ftfs. Imagine a rifle that has onboard diagnostics for wear on parts. Imagine an line rifle with a perfect trigger break. Imagine a line rifle that can automatically accept smart scopes like trackingpoint, or really any scope, and self zero at any desired range. Imagine a rifle that can be locked to burst (and the amount of burst) or allow F/A, or both.

Imagine, /k/.

I think such a thing is possible today, with good lightweight batteries, a soild proven design, and redundancys.
>>
File: th-2.jpg (3 KB, 300x126) Image search: [Google]
th-2.jpg
3 KB, 300x126
>>29833530

I just like to look at video game and movie guns and try to imagine how you could make them real.

I'm not going to college over that. I've kinda given up on college. I'm diseased and I have no energy, I'm stupid(not being humble I'm actually dumb) lol also a college education for this is useless because I don't and how to create universes, worlds, and creatures. Gotta have dinosaurs for the cerebral bore. Plus I kinda am upset at college... I went to school for more than a fucking decade and instead of learning anything about jobs, in college they had me do middle school shit! There are people with college degrees that have been waiting tables for years after graduation! And I bet they probably make more money working in a restaurant than they would at whatever they studied! And plus there are people that got in debt their entire life to learn incorrect information! I still think higher education is a noble pursuit, though..

And yes, OF COURSE it isn't adding up. I'm spilling my thoughts and ideas with no cohesion. I'm not good at communication anymore. I simply don't know enough about weapons to build anything like it. That's why it isn't adding up.

>Sure using propellant to maintain the gun is possible but even then it would be more efficient to use the weapon in short burst negating the only viable design feature.

What do you mean "maintain the gun", you mean spin the barrels? If I include a torsion bar I might not even need a battery to get the spinning started :3

Quit letting people telling you what limits are in your conceptual ideas and dreams, dude. It's easy to think they are trying to bring you back to reality and they look like the good guys, but dude anything is possible.

I don't care what you all say, a battle rifle with 1K mags without weighing a ton or being unwieldy is well within the realm of the commonly accepted reality.
>>
File: image.jpg (174 KB, 968x745) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174 KB, 968x745
Thank fuck this shared IP isn't blocked, it's so annoying having to sit here watching idiots post while being unable to.

OP you are an idiot, it's never going to work, please just kill yourself.
>>
File: PredatorM134handheld-14.jpg (376 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
PredatorM134handheld-14.jpg
376 KB, 1920x1040
>>29833592

The thing was never going to be as light as an AR-15, dude. I'm expecting it to weigh around the M82 range at least.

And it's not like I'd give it a gallon of fluid.. in fact only enough to keep it from melting after firing 5K rounds and all the liquid would probably boil out after a few magazines.

Like I said, I've got no idea what it would end up becoming. I just know what I wanna daydream about.

I just know it would be the most amazing SAW the world has ever seen. Around 60 pounds all together, 30-35 pound gun with 5 mags not included the loaded one.

Seriously guys, imagine it for a minute! Cast aside your doubt.

One sexual tyrannosaurus, 6 thousand bullets, and my dream gun.

I've thought about that gun ever since Deep Rising came out.Don't come crying to me when the mutated ottoia come after you and you don't have enough ammo.
>>
>>29833761

You know an AK will burst into flames after a few hundred rounds right?

How do you expect something that fires much faster and more ammo to fare?
>>
File: 1430464621433.png (309 KB, 1200x908) Image search: [Google]
1430464621433.png
309 KB, 1200x908
>>29833618

Hmmm.... I guess you design it with a low bore axis to prevent excessive muzzle rise, and train a little. Try to design it so it's just a constant push without the flip. The weight will help, too.

How the fuck do our soldiers expect to fight if they can't handle recoil?

And I guess it'll have select fire like anything else. 3 rounds is burst fire on military rifles, usually...

So you're saying that a one soldier with an M16 with 30 round mags and 4 mags in reserve can provide better fire support than a soldier with a literal minigun with a 1K magazine and 4 mags in reserve?

The guy with 6,000 rounds he can put out on less than 10 minutes is worse at fire support than a guy with an M16 and 5 mags?

Maybe we should just issue nuggets to the military instead.

>>29833624

Honestly it's such a small lightweight platform relative to its capacity and fire rate I imagine you can do pretty much anything with it.

>>29833626

We have much better propellants these days.

>>29833639

I don't think I have staph :/ if that's not what you meant, chemical warfare is illegal

>>29833708

I can't see anyone else's IP, wtf are you talking about? No identities here, it's an anonymous imageboard.

Guys, seriously.... we could have built a fucking space battleships with the power to kill as many humans as the aliens in Independence Day... it could patrol from the earth to Neptune. It could fire shaped nuclear charges and vaporize space migs. We could have built that over 50 years ago.

And here we are thinking we can't build handheld miniguns with enormous capacities?
>>
File: image.jpg (280 KB, 916x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
280 KB, 916x1280
It's time for the thread to die now troll
>>
>>29831795
They tried that with the Volcanic pistol over 150 years ago and found it to be useless.
>>
File: 1461298854751.png (11 KB, 1016x547) Image search: [Google]
1461298854751.png
11 KB, 1016x547
>>29833784
WATER JACKET
A
T
E
R

J
A
C
K
E
T
>>
OP could theoretically accomplish his goals with carbon fiber, multi-chrome lined barrels.

Steel based bullets could be fired with slow burning ANFO. This would require a reinforced breach to handle the shock. Perhaps some form of modern ceramic.

The only issues would be feed and fouling.

Fouling would have to be tested, I initially proposed flash powder as the main propellant. But Aluminum oxide would quickly ruin the barrels.

Feed would also require experimentation.

OP, your idea is not unfeasible. And if steel penetrators are used, it could potentially be useful in taking out vehicles or as a portable AA battery as small drones become more popular on the battlefield.
>>
>>29833871

People tried flying for hundreds of years too, and they also found it to be useless. People tried a lot of things hundreds of years ago that they found to be useless. Guess what.

You're a troll.

>>29833784

Fuck, you're right. Damn, man... What am I going to do? I guess I'll have to put lots of wood furniture right next to the barrel that gets very hot, that way the wood will prevent the barrel from overheating. Isn't that how AKs work?

>>29833888

Don't tread on my water jacket ever again.

>>29833895

There's a lot for me to think about, actually...

My biggest mental hurdle is the propellant. As you see in the picture I drew here >>29833117, I don't have a lot of space :/ and yes, I know that the heat is going to be a major problem and water cooling will have to be sacrificial in order to keep weight down. Which means after you figure a few thousand rounds from your infantry rifle, there won't be any water left in the system... And even though that's inconvenient, I feel like one soldier being able to carry more ammo than a platoon and spit it out in less than 10 minutes is worth it.
>>
>>29833895

ANFO requires a stick of dynamite to detonate and that stick requires its own detonation device.
>>
>>29833933

It's not just the wood, it's also the metal parts melting but sure
>>
>>29833761
The faggots in the movie didn't have enough ammo either, they all got fucked and eaten.
Oh wait, if I remember it was actually a sawn-off that saved the day.
Good movie though.
>>
>>29833851
Most combat loads have a soldier carrying at least 6 mags.

A SAW gunner maybe has 500 rnds on him and they supreme just fine

Your dude isn't galling 10 minutes worth of ammo nor power supply bub, that's more than 100 lbs in ammo and battery alone not even adding the gun.
>>
>>29833851
Less recoil=more rounds on target.

We stopped using full retard m14 for a reason.
>>
>>29833987

Fine, what if I make it out of tungsten?

Shit, if Sauron made the one ring from tungsten it could have theoretically survived the lava.

>>29834008

I just wanna know more about the PT boat
>>
File: 1453198049893.jpg (433 KB, 1330x1405) Image search: [Google]
1453198049893.jpg
433 KB, 1330x1405
>>29833867

OP here.

I am not being a troll.

/k/ is just being /k/ like always, pic very related.

Back to Applebees with you.
>>
>>29834095
If they'd just needed to get the bastard hot they wouldn't have had to go on that wee hike. They were bringing it back to the place it was forged to unforge it. itsmagiciaintgottaexplainshit.jpg
>>
>>29834150
What a shitty image.
>>
>>29834176

It's not really magic, technically in the beliefs of most religions literally EVERYTHING is magic.

I think Sauron and many of the ancient smiths and whatnot learned how to bind thoughts to matter, making inanimate objects have qualities usually associated with living things. Sauron learned how to bind his thoughts to matter AND make objects like a lens or magnifying glass to focus his abilities. So the rings of power and palantiri were like that, dormant abilities like psychic power and whatnot become focused by the objects. And the book literally says "and into this ring, he poured his hatred, his malice, and his will to dominate all life" so he dumped a whole lot of his nature and motivation into an inanimate object, and he probably included a "killswitch" so he could destroy the ring after he was done with it, and return the power to himself somehow. By destroying the ring without Sauron present to absorb its power or before he built a device to collect or store it, it's almost like he lost a part of his soul. Kinda like a soldier losing his eyesight or hands, he just as incapable of continuing his evil.

There's another book called "Melkors Ring" which basically explains that Melkor made a ring of power, but it was the entire creation of Middle Earth that he made into his ring.

It's deep stuff.
>>
>>29833895

OP here. I wouldn't want steel based bullets unless it's meant for AP. Even with a thin copper lining, a solid steel bullet will wear the barrels too fast. So even the AP bullets should have a lining of lead between the copper cover and steel core. I'm not sure if steel is the best option for AP anymore, actually... And... chrome impregnated carbon fiber barrels? Wut? Carbon can handle very high temperatures but I don't think it would have the strength.

I was thinking some kind of plastic explosive would work as the propellant, and I imagine filling most the cavity with pure explosive then capping it with plastisized explosive would be a good way to waterproof it while still getting more bang in a small place.

Yes, fouling is a concern which is why I'd only want a small amount of plastisized explosive to cap the propellant cavity, and I'm pretty sure there has to be a powerful but clean burning substance out there to use as propellant. Flash powder leaves pretty much no residue, right? But is it energy dense enough? And what about "self cleaning" bullet design...? No idea.. or a self cleaning mechanism? Some of the gas used for operation could be diverted to the chamber to blast off residue, and it could probably also serve to cool off the chamber, too. No idea... maybe the gas can pass through a small submerged radiator or heat exchanger and that's the water cooling system? It could be lead cooled lol much higher boiling point.

Come on, guys!

WE COULD CREATE A HANDHELD MINIGUN THAT'S ACTUALLY FEASIBLE!!!

We can live the dream!!!!

It's possible!!

I'm disappointed, /k/. When I made a thread in /diy/ about jetpacks, people were pumped and excited and enthusiastic!

It's possible, guys! I just need to be a little more educated about things!
>>
>>29834150
Apparently /k/is one person, what a faggot.
>>
File: childcat.gif (39 KB, 600x610) Image search: [Google]
childcat.gif
39 KB, 600x610
Just let this stupid shit die already
>>
>>29833703
so you're literally retarded?
>>
Final year mechanical engineering student here;

Your design for the minimised bore will reduce barrel lifetime massively. Compressive forces acting from either side would probably lead to harmonic oscillation and your barrels would rip themselves apart.

As for the weight of the bullets for 1000 rounds, you're looking at a weight of between 2-4 kilo's a magazine (9 pounds), not including propellant. Try telling some poor bastard he not only has to lug around this fuckoff rifle but also (3 magazines) 12 kg of ammo?

Nice idea, but unfeasible and unnecessary, the machining cost alone on those barrels would be outrageous.
>>
File: 1355314079243.jpg (36 KB, 504x360) Image search: [Google]
1355314079243.jpg
36 KB, 504x360
OP is a fag and a retard, the idea is flat out one of the dumbest ideas I have read on /k/ in a while.
>>
>>29835379
Where should I go to school for Mechanical Engineering if I also want to make my own gun designs (safely)?
>>
>>29834065

NO, IT'S NOT 100 POUNDS OF AMMO YOU TWAT.

I'll assume each bullet with propellant weighs 85 grains. A standard 5.56 bullet weighs about 60 grains so I'm factoring in 25 grains of propellant and extra brass. I think I'm overestimating the weight a bit too, but it's ok... because....

ONE THOUSAND ROUNDS WEIGHS ONLY TWELVE POUNDS.

FOUR EXTRA MAGS WORTH OF AMMO WEIGHS ONLY FORTY-EIGHT POUNDS.

AND I'M ESTIMATING THE UNLOADED GUN ITSELF WILL WEIGH AS MUCH AS A LOADED M249.

IF IT'S LOADED THE GUN WOULD WEIGH ABOUT AS MUCH AS A BARRET .50 RIFLE.

So, basically, you're a fucking retard that didn't read the thread, you read nothing about what I said about the ammunition it'll use, you even mentioned a battery and I explicitly said I'd want to design it to be as battery independent as possible, and at most the battery would only be needed for the first turn of the barrels and after that the operation system could charge the battery back to full.

You are a goddamn idiot. Even if my conceptual weapon is impossible to create, that still doesn't change the fact that you didn't read the thread and if you did, you sure as fuck didn't let it swirl around in your head long enough for you understand what you read.

Shit, dude, the battery could be like a few cell phone batteries or something. It's not like it'll need a battery meant for a vehicle. After you pull the trigger the gas system will begin turning the assembly and the battery is only needed to give it a little extra push to spin it up to speed faster.

And yes, at 1000 RPM a soldier with my concept weapon could fire 5000 or even 6000 rounds in ten minutes and still have time to spare.

Jesus Christ, I know I'm stupid as fuck sometimes but you aren't even doing the simple math that I know how to do!!

I'm not impressed with your post.

>that's more than 100 lbs in ammo and battery alone not even adding the gun.
The weapon itself loaded with 4 extra magazines weighs less than a hundred pounds you idiot.
>>
>>29831855
Go to bed Cave you're drunk. On science.
Why not just use a thermoelectric cooling jacket? The weight you would save would allow you to shoot real bullets out of it.
>>
>itt anons don't know about telescoped ammunition
>>
Well, the reason I proposed carbon fiber was due to lower weight. Thus barrel length could be increased for better terminal velocity.

I think we should stick to conventional ammunition. Something smaller like 9mm but utilizing stronger propellants. I think even a modified .22lr cartridge with a better bullet could fire with power equal to that of .223 if using flash powder.

To deal with the increased charge we could utilize steel casings.

.22lr is about 2 lbs per 1000 depending on bullet grain. So that would also alleviate the weight issue. And it is possible to fire a 60 grain round, which is akin to some of the .223 offerings.

So thats firepower, feed, propellant, and weight dealt with.

Power could just be a small 2 stroke engine such as found in hobby remote cars. Fuel is plentiful, just smokey as shit.

Which brings me to health of operator. The smoke from aluminum oxide would be atrocious and the user would need a gas mask.

My only qualm would be trying to cool carbon fiber barrels. Good chrome lining would prevent excessive wear, but actually I think a barrel made from modern ceramics such as found in a fighter jet engine might be better. That way heat dispersion wouldn't be too much of an issue and shock shouldn't be either but I'm no expert.
>>
Actually, my bad. 7.5lbs for 1000 36 grain bullets.

But even firing a smaller bullet at greatly inncreased velocity would be good. And we could design a bullet thats longer such that it tumbles on impact due to yaw like the 5.45x39 and thus has increased deadliness.

And because of the ignition speed of flash powder. Even a 36 grain bullet should have no problem reaching insane velocities.
>>
>>29835379

>Compressive forces acting from either side would probably lead to harmonic oscillation and your barrels would rip themselves apart

You mean compressive forces acting from only ONE side, right? The barrels are used in a clockwork direction. And it's not firing artillery shells, the bullets don't even weigh as much as two pennies. And the fire rate could be adjustable. Besides, those same forces effect literally EVERY firearm ever made, and there are plenty of rifle bore sized miniguns that are functional and work fine.

I don't think the barrels would rip apart under normal conditions.

I would want the gun to be able to fire 5000 rounds non stop in 5 minutes though, just as a "proofing" demonstration. And yes the barrels would be fucked after it and inaccurate as hell, but that would be true of any gun that fired 5000 rounds in 5 minutes. I would want it to be able to do this demonstration kinda like why firearm factories fire proof loads through their weapons... No operator is going to be putting their weapons through those conditions, but the factory proof tests anyways.

I'm pretty sure it would be used like any LMG, but it would be the best LMG ever made.

It would weigh less and have more ammo than the minigun Jesse Ventura uses in Predator FFS

And soldiers are quite used to having to carry fucking heavy things. A loaded rifle with 4 spare mags would weigh 30 pounds less than an M2 with a tripod and soldiers carry those all the damn time! And besides, even if the soldier only carries ONE magazine, the one loaded on the weapon, he'll have more ammunition than any 5 soldiers and he'll have it at a fraction of the weight in comparison!

HOLY FUCK /k/ YOU GUYS ARE STUPID AS DOG SHIT TODAY. All the arguments you're using to bash my idea are ridiculous and unfounded! Seriously, this is stupid! It's stupid as hell! If I brought you plans to make an actual star trek phaser you'd say it's useless because of bad ergos and no sights!

You are all trolls
>>
>>29835999
I like it OP. Keep posting please.

As far as weight is concerned, we carried about 80-100 lbs on Iraq. If you can keep the total weight (gear//ammo/weapon) at that or lower it would be feasible to say it is man portable
>>
>>29835771

OP here...

I'm still not sure about your carbon fiber idea.

What is it, chrome impregnated carbon fiber? Is carbon fiber even conductive enough to impregnate or plate with chrome? I imagine it's not...

Has anyone ever made carbon fiber firearm barrels before?

I don't think so :/
>>
>it op says "imagined" "in my head" "don't have a degree" and other equally retarded shit, gets proven wrong by someone WITH a degree, and STILL wonders why people are calling him retarded
>>
File: MSA 5.56P.jpg (7 KB, 342x215) Image search: [Google]
MSA 5.56P.jpg
7 KB, 342x215
>>29831795
I feel like this would be slightly more feasible. The ballistics are apparently similar to the 5.56
>>
>>29831687

SAW is good enough.
>>
>>29836454

Because he's trolling
>>
File: 1396126655440.gif (2 MB, 330x186) Image search: [Google]
1396126655440.gif
2 MB, 330x186
>>29832555
>Yes, there is. Heat management.
which is, as already posted, not required unless you're planning on putting excessively many thousand rounds per minute through the system

> be able to crank out 5 thousand rounds in ten minutes without breaking
already possible with literally ever general purpose machinegun
hell, even the maxim, one of the very first machine guns, has managed more than one hundred thousand rounds with a single trigger pull - all they had to do was feed it barrels, ammo and water
there's a reason quick change barrels have become the gold standard

>I think it's possible and I think the DoD should read my thread.
top kek
you don't really have a clue what you're talking about m8
>>
File: 1370963764182.gif (2 MB, 330x200) Image search: [Google]
1370963764182.gif
2 MB, 330x200
>>29835999
>HOLY FUCK /k/ YOU GUYS ARE STUPID AS DOG SHIT TODAY
oh gee, yet another schizo off his meds posting inane bullshit
yeah that's totally new and unique and has never been done before
sage goes in all fields
>>
>>29835703
>the battery could be like a few cell phone batteries or something. It's not like it'll need a battery meant for a vehicle. After you pull the trigger the gas system will begin turning the assembly and the battery is only needed to give it a little extra push to spin it up to speed faster.
>I have never heard of rotational inertia: The Post
>>
File: 180.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
180.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
>>29835220
how is this any better than this
>>
>>29832046
So, Metal Storm light?
>>
>>29831855

rocketball or not nobody's going to enjoy lugging around the weight of all that ammunition
>>
Are there really any square futuristic scope or red dot sights?
>>
Yo, anon, since you've got that nice mesh of the triple pulse rifle, you should use it for an XCOM 2 mod or post it on mediafire so someone can do it for you.
>>
What's with the spate of retards bringing their """""""""brilliant""""""""" ideas to /k/ lately?
>>
>>29837187
because
>everyone's a winner :^)
>you're only one idea away from being einstein :^)
>you don't need a rudimentary understanding of mechanical principles and military rifles to evaluate the feasibility of a firearm design :^)
>back of the envelope layman "calculations" are a perfectly viable substitute for rigorous proof :^)
>>
Why not go all out since its got electrical power.

Lets kit this bitch out with a Thermoelectric cooling system with eject able heat sinks.

That'll keep it pretty cool under sustained fire.

As for the magazine if its going to be caseless, a p90 style mag should be more reliable and space saving.
>>
File: Liberals vs Soviets.jpg (96 KB, 714x960) Image search: [Google]
Liberals vs Soviets.jpg
96 KB, 714x960
I really wanna see this in Fallout mowing down waves and waves of Chicoms
>>
>>29832512
Actually a rotary gun would negate a lot of the problems with caseless ammo since it'd spread the heat buildup over multiple barrels and chambers, and the spinning action might generate some cooling airflow, plus they're effectively open bolt. Some aircraft rotary cannons use plastic casings and seem to do fine with them, although they have a lot of airflow and short burst times to help with cooling.

The real issue with OP's idea would be bullet weight and powder charge. You're going to end up with something like a 30 grain bullet and very little powder, which means you get performance that's about on par with a .22LR at best. (And I suspect it'd be closer to .22 short.) The only way to make this work would be to make the bullets out of tungsten or DU or some other super-dense metal, and come up with some kind of super high energy but slow burning powder, something with like 20x the performance of current ones.
>>
where will you be when autism strikes /k/?
>>
>>29832741
Having all the barrels together like that is awful for heat dissipation
>>
>>29836542

OP here, I've seen that.

Yes it will work and literally double the capacity of ammunition soldiers can carry but nobody wants to bother reworking designs or ironing out the extraction kinks.

>>29836454

I'm just saying the cases against the concepts flaws can be solved easily and other anons failure to admit this makes them worse trolls than me.

>>29836582

So was the BAR. So was the Garand. We still use Garands, don't we? I'm just saying the designs of existing weapons will need to drastically change in order to improve performance dramatically. Those fringe weapons concepts that didn't work decades ago could work today because we now have the ability to make them work.

>>29836733

That's what I was thinking but everyone acted like the metal was going to melt off the gun. You're literally the only anon saying heat isn't a problem, thank God someone else thinks it's fine. But if you don't think we have the technology to make weapons technology able to carry 10X the ammo.... you need to buy yourself an imagination.

>>29836761

I don't think there's anyone else trying to figure out how to fit 1000 rounds in a 100 round calico mag.

>>29836819

Dude, a gas operated minigun exists already, the battery would just be an assist to speed the turning during the spin up.

>>29836976

I never did much research on Metal Storm.

>>29836995

It's not rocketball, it's closer to standard cartridge ammo than gyrojet.

>>29837004

I don't have it, those are just stills.

>>29837187

What's with everyone thinking it's stupid when the only anon saying he's an engineer can only find one or two problems with the design? Both problems can be solved quite easily if they would indeed prove to be a problem.

>>29837295

Fine, fine... all you naysayers, design a machine gun that has 1K magazines and the weapon with 5 magazines must be man portable and weigh less than 100 pounds. Honestly, I think it can be much lighter but I was concerned about recoil.
>>
>>29837445

If it can handle a few mags without melting I think it's fine as it is. It's an LMG, it's not going to get barrel swaps like heavy MGs. I honestly think that if it's used no differently than regular handheld machine guns, it'll be fine. I don't think a guy could physically carry enough ammo to make the gun melt.

>>29837503

I really want to see my weapons ideas not make /k/ think I'm stupid.

>>29837597

Yes, the propellant is the primary issue. Also, the hollow cavity might adversely effect ballistics... however I've heard there's some very powerful propellants, and I've heard pistol propellant should never be used as a substitute for rifle propellant because it's so much more efficient. Surely there has to be some kind of propellant that's not activated by heat but activated by electricity.

>>29837668

I know, I deal with /k/s autism all the damn time! Tell me about it, sheesh.

>>29837787

Yea but it's good for weight savings. It's not like that's the finalized design, just a sketch to show how you could save weight. I think if you incorporated heat sinks and a mechanical fan into the hollow cavity between the barrels, air cooling would be sufficient.
>>
File: 1459510825846.png (171 KB, 333x313) Image search: [Google]
1459510825846.png
171 KB, 333x313
>>29838251
>I don't think there's anyone else trying to figure out how to fit 1000 rounds in a 100 round calico mag.
because unlike you 'anyone else' is able to draw the line between feasible and stupid ideas
you seem to get off on presenting yourself as some sort of inventive genius, when all you're really doing is superficially thinking about a stupid premise
it's the equivalent of pseudocode - all talk, no substance

>a gas operated minigun exists already, the battery would just be an assist to speed the turning during the spin up.
that changes exactly nothing about your ignorance on basic rotational mechanics
also batteries don't spin up anything, they're batteries
why someone who can't even tell the difference between a battery and an engine feels justified in making statements about firearms design is beyond me
your uneducated opinions are so far away from facts it's not even funny anymore

>>29838251
>I'm just saying the cases against the concepts flaws can be solved easily
which is why you haven't done it yet, because it's so easy :^)

the worst thing is that you're such an insufferable, self-absorbed cunt that you will refuse to realize how ignorant, uneducated and plain stupid your posts are
please, just fuck off back to >>>/schizo/
>>
>>29838489

I mentioned earlier in the thread the only major design changes to gatling guns were batteries and car starters. I realize a battery can't do anything by itself.

Yet another guy jumping on the "OPs an idiot" train without reading the thread.

Dumbass.

>because unlike you 'anyone else' is able to draw the line between feasible and stupid ideas
you seem to get off on presenting yourself as some sort of inventive genius, when all you're really doing is superficially thinking about a stupid premise

I already told everyone why I am doing this. I like to look at video game and movie weapons and try to figure out how they could become reality.

>which is why you haven't done it yet, because it's so easy :^)

Yet even more proof you didn't read the thread.

What an amazing autist, he's so good he doesn't even need to research what he's arguing.

I've admitted the only thing I can't quite figure out is the propellant.

Everything else is pretty much banter where I cater to the baseless criticisms of others.

You can kindly fuck right off, you're clearly just as uneducated as you say I am.
>>
File: 9f1ebb3898.gif (953 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
9f1ebb3898.gif
953 KB, 500x375
>>29839654
>Yet another guy jumping on the "OPs an idiot" train without reading the thread.
boy, are you in for a treat

>>29831795
>pixie dust propellant

>>29831855
>HANDHELD gatling action
>gas-powered, to add insult to injury

>>29832046
>electrical ignition
>recoil-recharging batteries

>>29832555
>"suppressive fire isn't meant to be accurate"

>5000 rounds per minute suppression firerate
>while 90% of infantry MGs do not exceed 1000 rounds/minute
>while anyone fielding the MG3 uses aftermarket bolts to lower its insane RoF of 1800 to 1200

>>29832741
>"BULLET=HEATSINK,heat is no issue, poland can into engineering too"

>>29832973
>"I imagine it would weigh as much as an M240, not sure tho lolol"
>5 barrels + 5 chambers + cooling system = same weight as m240 + 100rnd belt
>dat math

>>29833224
>POWER PULSES, DUDE PHYSICS LMAO
>cooling system, because nothing screams HANDHELD as much as a fucking cooling system

>>29833269
>IN THEORY MY TOTALLY MADE UP SOLUTIONS WITH ZERO PROOF WORK JUST FINE LOLOLOL

>>29833851
>recoil isn't a problem, you simply have to train soldiers better :^)
>let's also do a comparison between an established combat rifle and my 110%-MADE-UP-WEAPON and -SPECIFICATIONS

>>29835220
>plastic explosive as propellant, lololol me so smart
>gas diverted to the chamber to blast off residue
>let's forget the fact that residue is literally caused by gas being diverted into the action

>>29835703
>ONE THOUSAND ROUNDS WEIGHS ONLY TWELVE POUNDS
>plz believe my made-up bullshit

>>29835999
>talking about live demos without working prototype

>>29838251
>battery to assist the spin up [of a 5 barrel+chamber assembly]
>mechanical fan

>>29833504
>I'm not an expert
>>29833703
>I'm stupid
>I'm actually dumb
of all the inane shit you've said these few are probably actually true

and now, the epitome of complete and utter delusion
>>29832741
>All the arguments you're using to bash my idea are ridiculous and unfounded!
fucking
kek
m8
>>
>>29839709

I stopped reading because you're clearly trolling.

I've already covered all those bases. I countered those arguments long ago in the thread.

>5000 RPM fire rate

I never fucking said that. Not once.

You're dyslexic as fuck and not reading the thread. 5000 rounds is 5 magazines.
>>
>>29832866
>gas operated miniguns but they are in autocannon calibers
But you're wrong
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GShG-7.62_machine_gun
>>
File: 1461704751853.png (207 KB, 735x480) Image search: [Google]
1461704751853.png
207 KB, 735x480
>>29839951
>>5000 RPM fire rate
>I never fucking said that. Not once.
oh no, a one got mixed up with a five
what will I ever do to save my argument
alas, it has completely fallen apart :^)
>>
File: 1446236744191.gif (317 KB, 407x405) Image search: [Google]
1446236744191.gif
317 KB, 407x405
>>29839979
let's add another one for fun

>I countered those arguments long ago in the thread.
except that you didn't

what you did was ramble superficial, uneducated nonsense while ignoring basic physical, mechanical and logical principles
these brainfarts include, but are not limited to:
-thinking that bullets are good substitute heatsinks, despite their abysmally short barrel dwell time
-believing that you can kickstart a 5-barrel assembly with a few phone batteries hooked up to a small starter engine(again: WHAT IS ROTATIONAL INERTIA AND HOW THE FUCK DOES IT WORK)
-thinking that a mechanical fan is the way to go in firearms cooling solutions
-believing that you can cram a thousand rounds into any kind of spring-actuated magazine and expect it to feed reliably
-thinking that high speed explosives are a good idea for infantry firearm propellant, jesus fucking christ
-thinking that a soldier with 5k rounds is a substitute for 5 machine gunners while having no factual idea of how small unit tactics actually work
-thinking that suppressive fire is nothing but unaimed spray'n'pray anyway and thus perfectly suited for a gatling gun on the infantry level
-thinking that a 5.56 gatling gun, a gas operated one at that, will actually be handheld
-because FIVE SEPERATE FUCKING BARREL ASSEMBLIES somehow sound man portable, right?

oh, but no worries, you've "fixed" all these things by saying that [tangentially related concept] will fix it
no further proof required, just state that it's not a problem and BAM it's not a problem anymore :^)

you stupid fucking retard
sage goes in all fields
>>
>>29840136

Most of those statements are simply half cooked ideas and excuses I gave to other people asking stupid questions.

Jesus Christ, it's a concept for a machine gun that has 1000 round magazines and you're acting like I'm tying to ban guns.
>>
>>29831687
>/k/ I need your wisdom and expertise
>/k/ I am smarter and more visionary than all of you naysayers

W E W L A D
E
W
>>
File: 1446242528052.jpg (11 KB, 374x421) Image search: [Google]
1446242528052.jpg
11 KB, 374x421
>>29840188
>it's a concept for a machine gun that has 1000 round magazines
your concept of what qualifies as "concept" in the world of technology is as skewed as your understanding of physics and thermodynamics
>>
>>29836063

Thanks for being like, the ONLY guy supporting my ideas on bringing this B-movie make believe gun to real life.
>>
>>29840345
>muh hugbox mentality
just fuck off already you pathetic wanker
>>
File: 1457897134312.jpg (92 KB, 768x783) Image search: [Google]
1457897134312.jpg
92 KB, 768x783
>>29839965
>18.5kg
H A N D H E L D
A
N
D
H
E
L
D
>>
>>29840213

I pretty much knew from the get go I'd get bullshit responses and troll posts from people with no imagination and fixed mindsets, but I figured if I stroke their ego it'll help me get posts and stay around the front page.

>>29840264

You're acting like a machine gun can't fire 1K rounds in a minute.

All I'm imagining is miniaturization of existing technology.

Look at cell phones from 30 years ago. Look at them today.

Look at machine guns from 30 years ago

Look at them today.

You'll notice a discrepancy.

Please, post more smug reaction faces and memes while telling us what you've done to promote weapons technology.
>>
>>29840413
>You're acting like a machine gun can't fire 1K rounds in a minute.
>a machine gun with a 1000 round magazine is the same as a machine gun that can fire 1k rounds per minute
good job keeping track of your own posts
>>
>>29840362

>muh mean cruel personality is only matched by my stoicism
just fuck off back to posting gore threads and talking about how those little children dying are doing the gene pool good you psychopathic buffalo bill
>>
>>29840441

False equivalentsee memelord mcgee.
>>
>>29840413

Look at guns 30 years ago vs guns today.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 489x290) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 489x290
>no one posted the VAG-73

This isn't a new concept. People have been failing to get this tech feasible for over a century.
>>
File: 1373572290094.jpg (111 KB, 1058x705) Image search: [Google]
1373572290094.jpg
111 KB, 1058x705
>>29840413
>Look at cell phones from 30 years age. Look at them today.
>Look at machine guns from 30 years ago. Look at them today
>You'll notice a discrepancy
the only reason you see this as discrepancy is because you choose to actively ignore the reality of how metal works compared to eletronics, specifically in the context of microprocessors
you just pulled the firearm equivalent of a /g/ "it's 2015, where's mah hoverboard" shitpost
the simple acknowledgable truth, one which you need in the world of real life engineering, is lost on you by the sheer power of your ignorance
>>
>>29840553

>48 round magazine

How did it fail, exactly?

This is exactly what I'm thinking of.

Insanely high capacity compact firearms.

>>29840563

Ok, then please tell me how to make the M1-L1 Triple Pulse Rifle a reality. Surely, with your superior intellect it will be no problem.
>>
File: 60d9ff30dc.gif (812 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
60d9ff30dc.gif
812 KB, 500x334
>>29840868
>"here's my incredibly stupid idea guyze!"
>"it's a shit idea way beyond the realm of tactical feasibility and physical possibility"
>"WELL IF YOU'RE SO SMART WHY DONT YOU DO IT THEN?"
oh jesus christ OP, get your shit together
>>
File: MAV-ULB.jpg (173 KB, 1016x835) Image search: [Google]
MAV-ULB.jpg
173 KB, 1016x835
>>29831687
>>29840868

Look OP, you came to /k/ for it's expertise and that's what you got. The point to this thread was to discuss the design of an ultra portable Gatling gun and everyone who was intimately familiar with gun design agreed that it was not feasible with current tech nor was it necessary with the way modern combat tactics are.

The gun is a novel idea, but there are good reasons why there are no rifle-sized Gatling guns that exist today. Any situation that approaches that need is filled with a larger weapons platform or slower-firing and larger weapons.

Despite this looking like a dumb question thread, I really appreciate topics like this because it facilitates conversion about things I didn't even think to learn about. You have learned so much more about gun design here than you would have on your own, and I think you should appreciate it for that.

Lastly, if you are so adamant about having a small Gatling gun rifle for the purposes of a story, just go for it, reality be damned, and go work on the rest of the fiction. It's sci-fi; as long as everything is consistent with itself, people can suspend their disbelief long enough to get to the meat of your story. Look at movies like Elysium; all the guns are wacky and exist to be cool; they don't gotta explain shit.
>>
File: 800px-Elysium4Sure-2.jpg (52 KB, 800x333) Image search: [Google]
800px-Elysium4Sure-2.jpg
52 KB, 800x333
>>29842814
Look OP, if you are really interested in realism, just use modern day firearms and give them attachments that would be useful in your setting. For a gun like the one you are proposing, you need better materials and electronics that we don't have today.

Honestly, that Calico submachine gun design looks like crap to me; it looks like it's way too complicated and unwieldy for the job it needs to do. Why not just go all out and design some bullpup gauss rifle with a giant floating barrel, with a microcomputer sight that looks like a modern holographic sight, detachable underbarrel grenade launcher/shotgun, and a thick looking magazine? Just call it a Gauss rifle that fires 5.56mm programmable ordinance with an adjustable ROF and muzzle velocity of up to 2000 RPM and Mach 1.8, respectively? You can use it as an infantry rifle, DMR, SMG, SAW, or BLT if you feel like it. Whatever, right?

Pic related, it's a man-portable Surface to Space missile launcher, that can track and hit targets from the ground to the Moon within a minute. How does that work? Fuck if I know!
Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.