[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
buying surplus.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: tmp_30099-images947831469.jpg (19 KB, 279x181) Image search: [Google]
tmp_30099-images947831469.jpg
19 KB, 279x181
Hello /k/, I have some extra money (but not too much) and I love milsurp. The wood and metal makes me happy. So I want to buy my first, hopefully of many, and I wanted to ask what I should look out for to make sure I don't buy a turd.
>>
just don't get a mosin because they are trash
>>
>>29830774
Full barrel inspection, rifling, pitting, the crown, also take the wood off and look for hidden external damages. Research the weapon for known defects (like the 1903, some models receivers can explode if they were manufactured during a certain time frame) Look for ill fitting bolts, marks on the bolts, cuts, tooling, etc.
>>
>>29830858
I admit that I used to hunt a lot as a kid with my father, but after moving to the city for years I am finally free to re-learn guns. So as a basic noob, any way to easily discern what exactly would be ill fitting? Like if it locks up when you work it or if it is hard to do or?? Sorry to be so out of the loop. For the moment it seems I need a bit more guidance than I would like to need.
>>
>>29830788
Mosins can be fine. They're not inherently bad guns, just a lot of them were made under shitty conditions with very little regulation and haven't been treated well since. A good mosin is not a bad gun, just kind of a boring one.
>>
>>29832981
>>29832981
do you have any interests? keep in mind a lot of surplus rifles have obscure calibers which are more pricey
>>
>>29833010
Finally back in the country. Ish. I just want some beautiful old wood and metal guns that have some history to them. As for wants, I would like to use them for hunting whitetail, wild boar, coyotes if needed, turkeys maybe, but that could mangle the meat without a head / neck shot.
>>
>>29833031
And I just want to own them I suppose. I like the idea of having them, and I figure if I have money I can afford to spend on wants not needs then I can buy some guns that please me.
>>
>>29833031
>>29833044
cant go wrong with a mosin for the price, you can still find them for sub $200. mausers can be had for $2-300. sks are nice
>>
>>29833093
I want one of all of them some day. Despite all the meme love and hate, I just want to get a mosin. Then an sks or maybe an enfield? Not too sure what enfields run. But really I just wanted to make sure that if I find someplace to buy a mosin (everywhere is totally sold out on milsurp, online catalogs at least) I get a good one not a bad one. I know to get a barrel that isnt shot out and all, and to try and get pre 44 and 45, but thats it.
>>
>>29833128
almost all the mosins you find will be in like new condition, because they were all rearsenaled and obsolete because of semi autos, so put away in storage until they got imported to america.
>>
>>29833255
im speaking bore-wise here. you might find some with worn barrels, just use common sense.
>>
>>29830774
Get a Mauser. There's a ton of variety, and many can be very inexpensive. Turk and Yugo Mausers can be had for $200-250.
>>
>>29833262
I guess with a mosin, its a mosin? Like vanilla icecream, just make sure it isn't super fucked up and it is fine?
>>
>>29833275
pretty much. theres carbine versions, there are some sub categories that collectors look for, ex snipers, hex receivers, different countries of origin, etc
>>
>>29833275
this should help you out a bit

http://7.62x54r.net/
>>
>>29833275
There's a few variants that are more desirable, like hex receiver, Finnish refurbs, etc. There are also some years that are worse than others. Look out for ones made at the height of the war. Also look for matching numbers, but worth noting that some were force-matched, where they just overwrote the old numbers to pretend like horrible franken guns were "matching"

I have a "matching" 1944 mosin that was actually a much earlier sniper nugget that was converted back to normal and slammed together from a garbage bin of parts. Reciever is so mis-matched to the bolt that I'd need to shave it down a good 5mm just to be able to engage my safety, and the the interrupter, well, doesn't. Still a "matched" gun though, so watch out for that.
>>
>>29830774
Google 'Mosin Crate.' Good online milsurp dealer.
>>
Thanks for all the tips /k/. I feel less gun retarded now.
>>
>>29830774
K 3 1

>>
>>29830774
Should get a mauser m48

They're cheap, look decent, and ammo is pretty cheap
>>
>>29836880
>wanting to spend over a dollar per round
>>
>>29836932
some of us have stockpiled 20 cent gp11 since the early 2000s ;)
>>
File: image1.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
>>29830774
My M39 arrived at my LGS. I'm pretty excited to shoot.
>>
File: IMG_20160408_131434.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160408_131434.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
I really want another makarov or two just because I only see the prices going up.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.