[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/meg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: 1453850561837.jpg (100 KB, 854x640) Image search: [Google]
1453850561837.jpg
100 KB, 854x640
/meg/- Military Enlistment General
We Discord Now edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857

Ask questions, get advice from retards on how to lie on the poly, bitch about recruiters, accuse each other of stolen valor, just keep it in this general.
Use the IRC pussies
>>
>>29829077
>>29828237

am i right for thinking this?
>>
AIT is super hard guise
>>
File: 1455529541453.jpg (337 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1455529541453.jpg
337 KB, 960x960
Do recruiters care if you're 22 and have a liberal arts degree? pls no bully
>>
>>29829184
the liberal arts degree will get you instant e-4 upon enlistment

for army, at least, if it was a 4 year degree.
you could also be eligible to be an officer
>>
>>29829077
About to graduate from college and wanted to know what are some of the most popular jobs in the Army.

I always wanted to be a cavalry officer, land or air it makes no difference to me. By going through OCS, how likely would I get the job after West Point grads and ROTC officers get the first picks?
>>
I'm 22 with no work experience and no friends to use as references. I have some college but never finished a degree. Will they just turn me away for being basically a NEET for the past few years?
>>
>>29829225
There is no such thing as a cavalry officer.

No way to even guess at your chances because the slots assigned to each OCS class are different.
>>
>>29829184
>>29829200
My Dad said something similar about me at 22, and he did 26 years in the Air Force. So go for it, anon. If our art won't work for us, we know what we want.

Also, here's a shitpost, same question but shooting for SF. Excluded by age or nah?
>>
>>29829338
Google before you post
>>
>>29829275
no
>>
File: image.png (56 KB, 216x320) Image search: [Google]
image.png
56 KB, 216x320
Hey 1a9x1 guy if u stop in here can U answer some of these questions, do you get deployed often and where? Civilian opportunities? Is that job high in demand? im going to meps soon and really have my eye on that job. If there's anything you'd like to add about ur day to day life as that job that'd b based as fuk. Thanks plz respond :^)
>>
>>29829275

Nigga, it's the military. If you can pass their physical requirements, they don't give a shit.
>>
File: 12176062_f520.jpg (31 KB, 520x210) Image search: [Google]
12176062_f520.jpg
31 KB, 520x210
>>29829077
do you guys have what it takes?
>>
>>29830291
>females can pass with 19 push ups minimum

What?
>>
>>29829077

Why the fug did they immediately announce that a Navy SEAL was killed? Why would they release this to the media so soon? I mean definitely call the families and tell them, sure. But wait a few weeks before telling the entire world. Now ISIS knows they killed a Navy SEAL. The Russians certainly don't announce whenever one of their guys gets killed in Syria.

I'm asking this here because I don't think it deserves its own thread but I'm curious. Bare with me now.
>>
>>29830291
I can do way better than that at the moment.
My BMI is really high though.
Will this be a problem for me?
>>
>>29830363
they'll tape you at MEPS, might delay your ship date until you slim down etc
>went to MEPS
>60 people at the hotel breakfast
>fat highschoolers everywhere
>loading up on bacon sausage eggs
>get to ortho room finally
>strip down with 11 of these kids
>manboobs and rolls
>get on the scales
>"ok son, you know there's a weight limit, right"
>"alright, you're 28 lbs over max limit"
>"doctor, we're going to need to tape this one, too"
i think at least half the people in there got taped and were overweight. i was worried that i would be over because at 6'1", the max is 205 and my scale said 203.5. they said i was 6'2", max for that is 218. didn't even check BMI
>>
>>29829077
What is a trade that has application in the private defense sector? I am graduating with a BSc. in Molecular Biology which offers limited employment opportunities and was thinking of applying for an Engineering Officer position in the Canadian Army or Comms officer position in the Airforce. I believe the Comms officer position allows opportunities to earn a Master's degree, but I don't know how useful this is. I just want to pick a trade that will actually let me put food on the table once I'm out.
>>
Any information regarding CTR in the navy? Leaving tomorrow for basic and kind of worried I didn't push more for CTN. Always heard do many good things about that one and not much for CTR.
>>
How do the reserves work? You go to your unit once a month and stay there the whole time or do you leave and come back the next day? And you have to spend a couple weeks in the summer doing something else?
>>
>>29830965
yep
>>
>>29830483
>tfw it was either skinny fucks or fit dudes in my group
>>
>>29831324
the only fit dudes i saw were 2 guys going reserve marines, and an active duty marine. most of the skinny or fat guys were going navy and air force. there was 1 kid going coast guard that was a skinny manlet, and a big lacrosse player trying to be a ranger but didn't get it
>>
File: th.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>29829147
wtf are you talking about?
Nobody with any clearance should be talking to anyone even if they are thought to have a clearance, and it shouldn't be done in public.

turnstiles when?
>>
>>29831481
what
>>
I'm debating between going HM Greenside and try and have some fun fighting w/ marines and eventually going SARC, CTI for the language and the possibility to join the CIA later, or CTN for elite hacking and the possibility to join the CIA later.

My ultimate goal would be to join the Clandestine Services. I'm smart, if I had given a fuck in high school I would've gone to an ivy league college for football and academics.
>>
>Trying to get into 14NX
>Then gonna try out for STO a few years in
>Going to try for Det1 MACOS
>If I get that then I'll put my name in for Activity stuff

Stupidly ambitious, or methodical planner?
>>
>>29830305
>Womyn are strong and can do anything males can do.
>>
Korean learning anon here.
Is the dude asking me about the TS/SCI still here?
I have had a seriously busy day, just like normal honestly. Its hard to find free time here.
>>
page 11
>>
>>29832194
still here, senpai

>>29829147
>>
>>29832175

Odds are even if you score greenside HM you aren't going to be seeing any fighting.

CTN and CTI can be a golden ticket to TLA work, but you have to remember that most TLA work is desk jobs.
>>
>>29834540

Does it matter that your contacts for your clearance also have clearances?

Yes and no. The investigator isn't going to give you any brownie points for it, but your contacts are more likely to understand the process since they've been through it. That means the interview will be pretty straightforward, they'll know what the investigator is looking for, and you won't get weird calls afterwards about the feds snooping around.

In communities with a lot of cleared individuals (think around DC), meeting with investigators becomes fairly routine.
>>
Is 3.12 College GPA good enough to get selected into OCS?
>>
>>29834568
yes a lot of my references are in the intelligence community around DC, and the SOF communities around Bragg and Benning. i'd assume after the 2nd pentagon contact or the third SF or Ranger contact, the investigators would feel satisfied
>>
>>29830483
>tfw 30 lbs over the limit for my height
At least I passed the tape test
>>
future soldier website is telling me to choose a meme.

>i chose a bunch of tanks lighting some trees up
>"Are you coming?"
>>
File: ronin.jpg (59 KB, 542x820) Image search: [Google]
ronin.jpg
59 KB, 542x820
> hurr hurr gonna serve my country and kill towelheads

The military is a fucking joke.
>>
>>29835309
its funny because the people that say that kind of shit, look like your picture
>>
I'm a marine that works in S-4 of an infantry battalion. Ask me any questions about my job or Marines in general.
>>
File: pog.jpg (82 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
pog.jpg
82 KB, 500x500
>>29835309
> I'm a civilian NEET mommas boy piece of shit whose never served or humped a pack a single moment in my life

If you ever decide to become a man, go talk to your nearest recruiter
>>
>>29835347
Reposting my question >>29834822.
>>
>>29835309
I just want to be a sailor
>>
>>29835371
I'm enlisted. I have no idea about OCS. I do know that you need a very good PFT/CFT
>>
>>29835389
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and for your service Marine Anon.
>>
I got a DUI about a year ago and since then my job prospects have been shit. I'm seriously considering enlisting because I'm sick of where I'm at. I'm 25 and have a BA, what are my chances of getting a waiver?
>>
>>29836050
you should ask your recruiter, it really depends on which branch, the battalion commander, or a jag review
>>
>>29836104
Thanks /k/omrade
>>
>>29836127
kid got waivers for DUI assault possession and marines let him in. this was a week ago at MEPS
>>
>>29836136
Well that's good news. Almost everything I've read online was saying it was a no go.
>>
>>29836315
yeah for air force army and navy
>>
So the reserves pay you about $200 or $300 monthly to start with, right?

Is there any real reason to avoid being in the reserves aside from being called a bitch by active duty people?

I kinda like vocational training at the cost of my thursdays through sundays once a month, two weeks of my year, the rest of my life if they deploy me, and my soul.
>>
>>29834568
I dont think so. They care more about what info they get about you than the info of the perosn being interviewed, as long as that person is a decent human being for the most part. I had all reputable sources so I didnt have a problem.
Remember, no news (from anyone basically) is good news, especially from the investigator.
>>
>>29836628
nothing wrong with reserves. they even have SF reserves or guard units
>>
>>29836633
so as long as i don't hear anything, I'll just get my clearance after a few months? i'm sure my contacts will let me know if they're interviewed
>>
>>29836653

I didn't really think there was, aside from the pain in the ass if you ever need to or want to move after you get your reserve 'base' assignment.

I've heard that the process is such a pain in the ass some people take planes or buses to just go back to their duty post. However, I don't really plan on moving.
>>
>>29836676

Admittedly, most people who get interviewed often don't know if they're actually saying anything that would bother an investigator.

Essentially, though, I agree with the above: no news is good news.
>>
>>29836676
I've been waiting three months and neither me nor my contacts have heard anything yet.
>>
>>29836529
So would you recommend Army or Marine Corps? Does one pay better than the other or is everything pretty much universal throughout the branches?
>>
>>29836768

Pay's pretty universal, benefits are worse in Marine Corps.

You're joining the Marine Corps for pride/to get shot at first, not for more benefits.
>>
>>29836768
E1 gets E1 pay, O4 gets O4 pay, in all branches. Army you pick your job, AF you have better quality of life, Navy you get to see the world, Marine has best espirit de corps, depends on what you want, anon
>>
>>29836808

Don't forget the universal rule about the Navy's 'seeing the world': most of it is fucking water.
>>
>>29836768
If you have to ask, then Army.
>>
File: Best buds.jpg (781 KB, 1280x852) Image search: [Google]
Best buds.jpg
781 KB, 1280x852
USAF DEP here, my recruiter keeps pushing "open" contracts at me (9TM44, 9TM44, or E67, that kind of thing) I wanted to know if these are halfway decent options. I would prefer working jets or any of the electronic warfare jobs, but those don't come around too often.
>>
>>29836843
*9TM55

Fuck me, the lack of sleep is finally getting to me.
>>
>>29836797
Nigger what are you talking about? All the benefits are the same.
>>
>>29829184
>liberal arts degree
MAXIMUM BULLY

YOURE FUCKING RETARDED
>>
>>29836896
He's probably just talking about the lifestyle
>>
>>29830291

Now that I'm 27...yes.
>>
I got offered a slot for 25N or 25Q in the reserves and from what I have researched about them, they look alright jobs, but I would be in the reserves so I'm worried I would go to AIT for 18weeks just to end up as a glorified janitor or secretary. Also, in 3-4 years I would try to get an early release on my contract and switch to active duty, but with Hillary as president I'm worried that the army will be downsized so much that it won't be possible.
>>
>>29836797
>benefits are worse

Nigger shut up. We all get the same.

If anything pay is less because harder to earn rank.

Like princess Leia says if money is all you desire, that's what you'll receive (Army).

Or be a true Han Solo and do it for the glory (muhreens). But princess Leia divorces you five years later and wants half the Millennium Falcon.
>>
>>29837016
She's tired of your Kessel Run PTSD
>>
>>29837016
>>29837036

The kek is real.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 323x323
>>29837016
>tfw she married you for cantina privileges and tricare
>>
>>29836843
Never ever ever settle for an open contract. Sure you might be in DEP longer like I was (september-january) but I love the fact that I got the job I wanted. Trust me, everyone with oepn contracts was shitting themselves 6th week when we went to the building to get their jobs, many were displeased. I was fine besides the fact they didn't give me my language at that point, I didn't get that until I came to DLI some 8 weeks later.
>>
/k/ I might have fucked up
I ship out in a couple weeks, and I forgot about a juvenile diversion program for graffiti from when I was like 14
It's not listed in any papers anywhere, MEPS didn't find it in their background check, and I can't even get record of it from my police station or the courthouse I had to attend.
However, I'm told my MOS usually gets a secret clearance in or just after OSUT
Am I going to be fucked? Will they manage to pull seemingly non-existent records from no-where? I was never finger printed for the program either if it matters
>>
If I've been a degenerate pothead for the last few years is it even possible to have it all cleared out of my sytem in a reasonable time scale for the Army's drug tests?
>>
>>29837681
Depends on when you test, if you're a retard and scheduled a visit to meps in a week or two you're probably fucked. If you haven't yet then just stop smoking, wait a few months to be sure and then go.
>>
>>29837982
No I haven't even spoken to a recruiter yet I'm just semi interested in potentially joining. I need to quit for a while first obviously. Do they hair test or just piss?
>>
How long is a MEPS physical valid for?
I went earlier this week, passed the physical with no problems, but I couldn't swear in because of some issue with paper work that I didnt understand.

I made an appointment next week to come back and swear in an hour after I left MEPS

I guess my question is can I masturbate this week or are they gunna inspect my dick n balls AGAIN??
>>
>>29838025
piss
>>
>>29838025
Just piss. They ask if you've ever smoked weed before. If you've never been caught, then it's up to your own discretion whether or not to lie about it. You can say you tried it a few times and get a waiver, or you can just say you never did it and be fine as well.
>>
>>29838044
a year iirc but they gotta recheck you before you go i think
>>
>>29838044
>couldn't swear in because of some issue with paper work that I didnt understand.
Do they not accept X as a signature anymore?
>>
>>29838180
My recruiter said he couldnt get me a spot to swear in that day because they have a limited number of people they can do each day and they were full, but he could get me space to do the medical.
>>
>>29838044
I've heard a lot of conflicting information about this. When I was at meps, the people there said the physical was only good for that day.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458848067016.jpg (29 KB, 490x328) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458848067016.jpg
29 KB, 490x328
I'm thinking of enlisting as a 68W. Has anyone got any experiences? How hard is it to change from army to airforce once you are in?.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>29837008
It's harder to go active duty as a reservist than it is to join as a civilian. Don't count on this.
>>
>>29837808
so basically through bct and ait
>>
>>29838307
Is ait tech school? If so then yes, it's done before my tech school since mine is ungodly long.
>>
>>29838483
mine is 27 weeks, not including 9 weeks in fucking Oklahoma
>>
Is 19K a bad MOS for somebody who is 6'2"?
>>
>>29838241
>How hard is it to change from army to airforce once you are in?.

It's not easy, why join the Army if you want to be an Airman?
>>
>>29838483
>>29838527

>Long technical schools
>tfw in week 40 of school
>>
>>29838726
I want to be a PJ but i can't be one until i get my citizenship. But i want some training first and I've heard a 68W is the closest to the sort of injuries a PJ would see.
>>
>>29838746

It's peacetime, most 68Ws will be treating sprained ankles from running around in garrison.

If PJ is your goal, you'd be better off grabbing pretty much any job in the Air Force over going into the Army and trying to transfer.
>>
>>29838774
Any idea of decent roles in the airforce?
>>
>>29838734
hey i originally wanted 35M, thats like 80 weeks of basic and school
>>
>>29838746
A lowly 68W or Navy corpsman is nothing more than a civilian rated EMT-Basic or Intermediate. PJs are on par with college degreed paramedics. It takes 3 months to be an EMT. It takes two years to be a paramedic.

Don't embarrass yourself showing up as an EMT thinking you're up to snuff.

Also - PJs are as tactically proficient as your local girl scout troop.
>>
>>29838925
I ultimately finish up around 2 years of school.
>>
how would one go about volunteering for peshmerga? That's the one all the mercenaries are going to right?
>>
>>29839060
just in time for nco school lol
>>
>>29839035
I am very much aware of that, however I have more chance of working with high velocity trauma wounds and combat casualties than I would as an EMT.
>>
>>29839060
It was over 2 years for me.
>>
>>29839224
Not if you're an EMT in el paso
>>
>>29839325
I'm assuming El Paso is considered a minor proving ground before getting your cherry busted in Detroit or Chicago?
>>
>>29839365
It's worse bro, Juarez is right across the border.
>>
>>29839365
Between 2001-2012, two thousand troops were killed in Afghanistan combat. During that same period of time, five thousand civilians were murdered in Chicago (where guns are banned).
>>
File: bourne.webm (2 MB, 461x259) Image search: [Google]
bourne.webm
2 MB, 461x259
I WANT TO BE A NINJA

What MOS teaches me how to do things like pic related?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3znSbbu9IU
>>
File: 1332367649408.jpg (37 KB, 476x637) Image search: [Google]
1332367649408.jpg
37 KB, 476x637
>>29839417
mfw
>>
I got top grad in my A school today and will be picking up Petty Officer third class once i hit 6 months time in rate.

t-thanks /meg/ you were there everynight i did homework
>>
>>29837505
/k/ please help
Don't want dishonorable, recruiting battalion won't work with me
>>
>>29839728

secret clearances don't look that far in
>>
>>29839081
No info? Do you need prior military experience?
>>
>>29839886
Nope. Not one lick of experience to join. But expect to get left doing menial jobs like guard duty and road blocks.
>>
>>29839728
you're fine lol
>>
>>29839904
As long as I would be able to help.
>>
>>29839924
After a month or two of assessing, they'll likely start putting you out on patrol. A recent USA Today interview of a 23 year old non-military volunteer stated he was in-country for 8 months and got into many firefights. Your thirst will be quenched.

The volunteer slots are popular with those who do not qualify for military duty or are now disabled and cannot reenlist. But fret not, if there are shit bags showing up, they will be asked to leave. So don't don't worry about them taking in subpar personnel. They do not pass muster.
>>
>>29839992
It honestly doesn't sounds too bad.How many guys talking English you reckon I would be around?
>>
>>29840041
According to those who've been and gone and who are still there, communication isn't not much of an obstacle. Don't sweat that part. Just sweat getting accepted. They need money more than volunteers. Apparently they have a shit ton of volunteers wanting to fight ISIS.
>>
>>29839081
Would you faggots stop talking about peshmerga, none of you are going to join
>>
>>29840204
This kinda shit right here motivates me even fricken harder to join
>>
>>29839060
>>29838925
what the fuck thats like pilot levels of training
>>
>>29839874
>>29839911
Thanks mates, it was an honest mistake, I just want to inna cool shit
>>
>>29840125
yeah read an article a second ago, apparently its illegal to join up and pesh doesn't wanna get involved with that kinda stuff.
http://rudaw.net/english/kurdistan/16022015
>>
>>29840235
If the Peshmerga won't take you, try the YPG. They're having a huge problem getting volunteers in due to Turkshit influence. If you can, get in contact and donate as well, even a few hundred dollars can save lives.
>>
>>29838241
>I'm thinking of enlisting as a 68W
I'm currently in AIT as a 68W.

Don't. It's awful here. You get shit on for every minor little thing. Pretty much the entire company has gotten negative counselings for inconsequential bullshit. Dozens have gotten Article 15s. Your recruiters will drum up how great Fort Sam is, how there's so many females and how it's like a college campus and shit. That's only true for everyone at Fort Sam that isn't a Whiskey. You don't get many privileges, and you hardly have time to make use of them anyway.

If you're looking to get some kind of combat role but don't want to go 11 bang bang, try for a 19D or 13F or something.
>>
I depped in as Navy AECF. Did I make a good choice?
>>
>>29840349
9 weeks of basic, 50-80 weeks DLI, 14-27 weeks AIT. that shit adds up, senpai. especially category IV language
>>
>>29840407
The problem is neither of those have any sort of medical link and I'd like to have some before trying to go PJ'S
>>
>>29836768
Army pays better.
>>
>>29838617
Yes
>>
>>29840706
does MI even get deployed anymore? or do they do all their shit from Meade or Gordon now?
>>
>>29840843
Depends on MOS
>>
>>29840593
68W only qualifies you as a basic EMT. You'll learn some cool shit in Whiskey training, but nothing too advanced.

Amd I'm pretty sure you can get PJ in your enlistment contract. Try asking an Air Force recruiter about that before you throw years of your life away in the Army going the roundabout route.
>>
>>29840849
35N
>>
Is national guard infantry even useful? Do they get taken seriously when deployed with 11b?
>>
>>29840880

Go 1N0X instead
>>
>>29840899
already enlisted, senpai
>>
>>29832194
How's delta company doing?
>>
>>29829077
Is that a giant butt plug on the table?
>>
>>29840930
lamp. i love lamp.
>>
>>29840889
No.
>>
>>29840910

You poor bastard.
>>
>>29840706
Exact same pay based on rank faggot
>>
>>29840889
No
>>
>>29840956
why? is this the same guy telling me to go air force?
>>
>>29840960
And which branch gets promoted faster, faggot?
>>
>>29829077
What's the best branch to be if one wants to go to Japan and find a wife?
>>
>>29840998
Anyone but the Army.
>>
>>29840880
Not a whole lot of deployments. Even if you did, it would be just like being in garrison except hotter and with terrible food.
>>
>>29840998
Navy.
>>
>>29840976

Yes. Your job doesn't change from service to service in intelligence. But your quality of life is very much lower in the army.
>>
>>29840997
It's completely misleading to say one gets paid more faggot
>>
>>29840998
The entire military is littered with the corpses of weeaboos who thought that they'd get to Japan and never did.

Probably a third of Arabic linguists are suicidal weebs.
>>
>>29840998
english teacher branch )))
>>
>>29841011
i'd like to do at least one tour somewhere
>>29841025
i went to air force recruiter first, he was a faggot and didn't listen. he and his whole station kept pushing EOD or Security Forces or open maintenance. like pulling teeth for weeks. so i went next door to the army, and they basically rolled out the red carpet, worked with me the whole way, listened to me about my plans and the job i want etc
>>
>>29840851
So theoretically I could join the airforce and then have it written into my contract that when I get my citizenship I can transfer to the PJ'S?
>>
>>29841038
They do get paid more faggot. At every point in their career a Soldier is going to have more rank and make more money. They're also going to get out of the barracks sooner due to rank, which means even more money.
>>
>>29841065
>i'd like to do at least one tour somewhere

Oh, you will. Camp Humphreys is waiting for you.
>>
>>29841116
i'd love to do a year or 2 there, but isn't that more of a "bachelor's posting?" i'm afraid I'll get stuck in maryland, georgia, or hawaii for my whole enlistment
>>
>>29840450
IM also at DLI, im in week 2 of korean
>>
>>29841164
did you ask for that language or did they just tell you "you're learning Korean"
>>
>>29841065

That's because air force recruiters can afford to be utter faggots. The army will literally take fucking anyone.
>>
>>29841204
The former is true, the latter is not.
>>
>>29841204
in the few weeks at my army recruiter office, i saw them turn away plenty of people
>>
>>29841106

There's no enlistment option for anything like that, as far as I know. You're not going to be able to get it in your contract that way.

Being able to switch jobs after you sign for one is a gamble, you may never be able to.
>>
>>29841151
All of those are possible. There's a whole mess of 35N at humphreys.
>>
>>29841209
>>29841251

You mean they can't take fatties, people with disqualifying conditions, and literal retards?
>>
>>29841283
are you being funny or what? i saw overweight people, dumb people, people that needed a lot of waivers, prior service, all get turned away
>>29841278
is that a family friendly base? or is a one year kind of thing for 18-21 year olds
>>
>>29841274
So what I should work as a civvie paramedic until I get my citizenship then go to join then?
>>
>>29841315
You can bring your family, but it requires a 2 year tour minimum to do so.

It's a great assignment but a lot of families hate it. Depends on if they're adventurous and willing to actually do shit or if they'll just hide in your apartment for two years.
>>
>>29840349
Nuke pipeline
>>
>>29841345
lol I'd love to get out and see shit, but my family are a bunch of homebodies
>>
>>29841323

You should give up on your dream of being a PJ and settle for some military job you can stand, because civilian wages are shit in healthcare until you have a degree.
>>
>>29841348
nuke pipeline is only a year
>>
>>29841399
>3-6 months of A-school
>6 months Power School
>6 months Prototype training
>A number of additional months for extra schooling (Welder, ELT, etc.) and holds between classes starting

I'm quite aware of how long it is, I'm coming up on my anniversary of arriving of NNPTC soon and I'll barely be fresh out of Power School.
>>
>>29841315
Army recruiter here
Only prior service we're keen on taking is for 18x, good fucking luck otherwise
>>
>>29841421
thats what my recruiter told me anyway
this is nupoc shit though he said
"6 months of power school and 6 months of prototype" and then you can be on a sub
"with the best chefs in the navy"
"see beautiful ports all over the world"
"do whatever you want in thailand"

how is power school?
>>
>>29841458
>do whatever you want in thailand
bruh
>>
>>29841375
Well my wife is the big money earner, the money I earn is just the pocket money really.
>>
>>29841421
I just depped in as an NF last month lad. You mind answering some questions?
How do you choose which of the three specialties to be?
Is it true that all you need to know for A school is trigonometry and physics (I.e. no calculus)?
Is it secret or top secret clearance, and will I have it done before going to basic(I've gotten conflicting reports on this)?
What exactly should I teach myself before I go?
>>
>>29841458
Officer pipeline is different, they don't have an A-school.

Also, the food is better than the surface fleet but still shit as I'm told, and you get the least liberty time. Also if you get put on an SSBN you won't be seeing any ports aside from King's Bay, Georgia and Bangor, Washington.

Power School is okay. In the winter it goes from 0630 - 1520 and in the summer it shifts one hour forward, with an hour meant for monotonous shitty class PT after or before respectively. Classes aren't hard in terms of material, generally speaking, but they give it to you so rapidly and so much at once that it can feel very overwhelming at times. I usually do 1-3 hours after class of just studying, though I'm on voluntary study hours, so I don't actually have to.

It's okay, better than civilian schools in a lot of ways but shittier in other ways. That's mostly the enlisted side of things though. The officer courses are supposed to be slightly harder, I guess they have calculus at some point, which enlisted barely touches.
>>
>>29841550
calculus is fun dude i miss learning
i heard its a shitton of work in the subs though like 24 hour shifts and shit
maybe ill try the SWO nukes
>>
>>29841441
they said anyone over E-4 is fucked because of how "top heavy" the army is
>>
>>29841547
>How do you choose which of the three specialties to be?

You don't. At basic you make a wishlist, but it's actually bullshit. From talking to a guy that stood that shore duty, they go off age, job experience, and how autistic you seem when they speak to you at basic, yes really. Younger, less job experience, and less aspie leans towards MM (best rate), with the other end of the spectrum being ET (second best rate).

In the middle is EM, EM is awful. I put in for EM at first because I heard it was neat, I'm very glad I got MM instead.

>Is it true that all you need to know for A school is trigonometry and physics (I.e. no calculus)?
You will be taught all you need to learn. There is no calculus in A-school, only a bit in power school. It is all idiot-proof so long as you are willing to learn.

>Is it secret or top secret clearance, and will I have it done before going to basic(I've gotten conflicting reports on this)?
Secret, you do not actually handle anything above Confidential in school though. You may receive up to Top once you hit the fleet, depending on what boat you go to.

>What exactly should I teach myself before I go?
Maybe a little algebra? They teach you everything.

>i heard its a shitton of work in the subs though like 24 hour shifts and shit
Recent switch to 3 8 hour watch rotations, so 16 hour days, 8 hours for sleep. You end up having a lot of free time the instructors say, but you do work a fuck ton. MMs do the most physical work, since they own the engine room and reactor itself. For officers it's very strenuous leading everybody, a huge amount of responsibility will rest you, and you will be punished extensively for mistakes. Mind you that surface life is harder in different ways. I'd personally kill myself if I had to live on a carrier with so many fucking people and no air conditioning.
>>
File: bruh.gif (647 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
bruh.gif
647 KB, 500x283
>>29841458
>mfw recruiters tell kids they can fuck traps in thailand so they can make quota
>>
>>29840407
You're in AIT, calm down Army baby. Just follow the rules and you're fine. Negative counselings aren't anything unless someone is trying to create 'proof' of shitbaggery to get an article 15 or chapter. Even then it takes a shit ton.

>>29841106
I answered your questions a few days ago. It still stands dude. SOCM and more PJ medical training is lightyears ahead of what you'll ever get as a civilian emergency responder. It takes years to get paramedic and the experience to even scratch it. A trauma nurse would be a better job than that probably.

You need to prepare for PJ indoc and become a PT and swimming god, and keep your head on straight for SOCM and the rest of the pipeline. Not bs as a civilian.
>>
>>29841635
> tfw 24 and been working odd jobs for 6 years

Fug, MM is really what I want, I hope I get it.

> They'll teach you everything

Fug, I bought books on calculus and classical physics and thermodynamics because I was expecting to get ass-reamed by the math. All well, guess I can just do that for "fun". Thanks a lot for answering my questions fampaitachi. Feeling pretty hyped now, can't wait for December.
>>
>>29841635
Oh yeah, is it true that there's like an "us vs them" mentality between nukes and normal navy people? Not that I give a shit if the other guys hate the nukes, I just find it amusing.
>>
File: Chol3XTUYAAb7rw.jpg-large.jpg (88 KB, 901x464) Image search: [Google]
Chol3XTUYAAb7rw.jpg-large.jpg
88 KB, 901x464
Daily reminder:
>>
>>29841841
There's some truth to it. On a sub, there is a clear division between coners (non-nukes, everyone not allowed in the engineroom) and M-div. There's also A-gang, conventional, non-nuclear mechanics that are their own animal all together. Coners are held to noticeably lower standards than engineering and they work a lot less. It's mostly just sub life though, law of conservation of happiness and all that.

On carriers, I've ran into a few people that legit seem to have it out for nukes. Outside of the sub community our advancement rates and bonuses seem a lot more ridiculous, and you'll likely draw a lot more fire from assholes and airedales that don't like you and aren't as close to you since they don't have the same close-knitness that exists on subs.
>>
>>29842135

>implying that wasn't fake grass by army recruiters
>>
>>29842135
goddamn it reddit/air force...
>>
>>29841190
2nd choice after chinese
>>
File: operator 70.jpg (137 KB, 1054x655) Image search: [Google]
operator 70.jpg
137 KB, 1054x655
So I am 23, will soon have a Master's degree in foreign service, and am fluent in Russian and Farsi and can max out the PT test. I have some ideas about what I would want to do in the military, but where do you guys think these skills would be most relevant and count for the most in becoming an Officer? My number one choice is to try to go 13 L (TACP/Air Liaison Officer) in the Air force, but I am not sure if you can apply for it and go in right from OCS. Bumping with operators
>>
>>29842291
Intel/FAO/Civil Affairs/SF

Ask 48G, I'm sure he'll fill you in on his faggotry.
>>
File: operator 69.jpg (168 KB, 727x621) Image search: [Google]
operator 69.jpg
168 KB, 727x621
>>29842291
>>
File: operator 68.jpg (1 MB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
operator 68.jpg
1 MB, 1280x853
>>29842302
Im not really into the idea of being a FAO, but Civil Affairs/Psyops, SF, and Intel interests me (provided I would have the opportunity to go outside the wire in intel, which probably not if I am an officer). It just stinks that there isnt a direct pipeline for any of these but intel for officer in the army. But its understandable.
>>
>>29842330
You're talking to a guy who spent over 2 years in a pipeline. I know your feels.
>>
File: operator 67.jpg (458 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
operator 67.jpg
458 KB, 2048x1365
>>29842291
>>
File: operator 66.jpg (272 KB, 2048x1360) Image search: [Google]
operator 66.jpg
272 KB, 2048x1360
>>29842340
What was the pipeline for if I may ask?
>>
File: Psyops.jpg (521 KB, 800x530) Image search: [Google]
Psyops.jpg
521 KB, 800x530
Anyone know what Psyops selection is like? Or are these things kept pretty tightly under wraps?
>>
>>29829077
I have a question for /meg/

I have 'self harm' scars on my wrist, how will this affect me joining the military? I have been trying to get rid of them, but nothing has worked. I know I'll probably get alot of shit from you guys, but I want to know the answer.

The reason I have them is when I was 14 my parents went through a nasty divorce and i was put on Benzodiazapam because i was a faggy nervous wreck. I got addicted, and then the doctor found out I smoked cigarettes and stopped my dosage, which was a pretty high daily dose. I have had other doctors tell me that this guy was an idiot for doing this, he had me on twice the dose for my age, and had me quit cold turkey. The come down was hell for about 7 days and during that time I laid in bed and just felt terrible, like i wanted to die. I cut myself but it was nothing too extreme, but the scars have lasted from that one day for 8 years. I was going to pour boiling water on my arm to get rid of the scars, but i pussied out. Anyone have any advice for me?
>>
>>29842398
he'll lie and say SF

use your degree(s) and do something else. you're not going to get to do any of the cool shit you want to do. apply at cia
>>
File: operator 62.jpg (77 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
operator 62.jpg
77 KB, 720x480
>>29842291
>>
File: operator 61.jpg (2 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
operator 61.jpg
2 MB, 4256x2832
>>29842430
Why do you say such things? Does it stem more from the fact that Officers dont get to operate? Or that you dont think there will be many conflicts that require these skills in the foreseeable future?
>>
>>29842398
flight school
>>
>>29842424
go turn on your car for 20 minutes, then turn it off, climb under it and burn yourself with the exhaust pipe. say you burned yourself while working on your car or at work
>>
>>29842454
What kind of birds?
>>
>>29842453
both
>>
>>29842465
64s
>>
File: operator 58.jpg (322 KB, 1461x845) Image search: [Google]
operator 58.jpg
322 KB, 1461x845
>>29842291
>>
So as a record breaking social retard, what do I do when I go into my army recruiter to take practice asvab and talk about what I can do?

Im just a bit nervous
>>
>>29842495
........you take the practice asvab and talk about what you can do
>>
File: psyops 3.jpg (1 MB, 2366x1577) Image search: [Google]
psyops 3.jpg
1 MB, 2366x1577
>>29842466
Could the case not be made that the snowflake units are always operating around the world?
>>
File: operator 55.jpg (115 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
operator 55.jpg
115 KB, 900x600
>>29842291
>>
>>29842512
do you think you'll be in those units? because there's like a 99% chance you won't be, as an officer. seriously, with your degrees and language and need to do cool guy stuff, check out cia.gov
>>
File: operator 54.jpg (2 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
operator 54.jpg
2 MB, 4256x2832
>>29842552
I dont know what you are going off of to automatically deem me incapable of joining any sof unit. Be it SF, Ranger bat, Psyops, Civ Affairs etc. Ive considered CIA. But they are surely quite choosy and one cannot bank on applying and getting that. They like your or they dont. At least with the military through sheer will power and your capacity to rise above everyone else directly in a selection process can you control your own destiny.
>>
File: operator 53.png (504 KB, 631x416) Image search: [Google]
operator 53.png
504 KB, 631x416
>>29842291
>>
Anyone been an 88L?
>>
>>29842591
>selection
>not picky
hey man, do what you want. to be an officer in those units, you are usually from those units. and you're not kicking doors past E-7, sir. you can enlist and go 18X but...why?
>>
File: 140814-Z-EU280-200.jpg (1 MB, 3000x1926) Image search: [Google]
140814-Z-EU280-200.jpg
1 MB, 3000x1926
>>29842291
If you have time maybe consider a degree in Air Traffic, combat control always has open slots.
>>
File: operator 51.jpg (502 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
operator 51.jpg
502 KB, 1024x682
>>29842639
From what I understand it is generally so that officers in those units come from different branch/MOSs and apply for the shot to go to selection. In regards to units like PSYOPS and Civil Affairs my languages would no doubt be an asset and would aid in the pickiness factor I think.
>>
>>29842641
I mean I already have my undergrad degree and will be done with my grad degree soon. If I went the air force route I would try to get a contract for 13/TACP/Air Liaison Officer first, then down the line after some years of experience would make a run at STO.
>>
File: operator 49.jpg (73 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
operator 49.jpg
73 KB, 800x582
>>29842291
>>
>>29842664

http://m.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/combat/special-forces-officer.m.html

here you go, faggot. Google is your friend. and you bumped the thread like 20 times while it was on page one.
>>
File: operator 41.jpg (2 MB, 4256x2832) Image search: [Google]
operator 41.jpg
2 MB, 4256x2832
>>29842721
Yes. I know and am aware what is required in becoming an SF officer. I was being deferential to the guy I was conversing with.
>>
>>29842763
what will happen is you will
>commission and do some desk work
>get a civilian job and do some desk work
>enlist and waste your degrees

these are your choices. and i'm not being deferential at all
>>
>>29837327

One rule of military enlistment that I have heard to be factual is if they won't even offer you a shot at the job you want at MEPS, you turn them down.
>>
File: operator 40.jpg (195 KB, 1600x895) Image search: [Google]
operator 40.jpg
195 KB, 1600x895
>>29842804
Certainly the best combo is commissioning still. There at least is the potentiality of getting outside the wire, or at the very least getting to take part in cool stuff in some respect. I definitely wont be enlisting no matter what. Thank you for your opinions and guidance though.
>>
wtf is HOOAH and when am I supposed to say it
>>
>>29843147

Who-ah.

Basically just say it like you're angry at the government for giving you this shitty enlistment contract you didn't read in full with a lawyer present.
>>
>>29843274
is it like
>yes, I agree with this statement
or something else?
>>
11B
19D
11C

I'm interested in knowing more about these anyone know more about them?
>>
Graduating basic training tomorrow, 300 PT score, shot expert in rifle marksmanship, and picked up an 18x contract with airborne school in a week or two!

Ask me anything.
>>
>>29829184
What about a BFA in Industrial Design
>>
>>29844627
did you start 11b?
how did you get the 18x contract?
i wanted to do 18x but, lol only got a ged, so i have to go 11b first
>>
>>29844627
enjoy SOPC anon, it was the best prep course i've been through.
>>
>>29843323

You can use it as an affirmative, as a battlecry (typically only in training), or even as an orgasm noise.
>>
>>29843969
Cav scouts are the absolute worst. I'm the liaison to a cav squadron and they are the most fucked up unit I've seen in 8 years on active duty.
>>
>>29829184
no, they don't

there's a reason people here complain about military pilots becoming captains instantly, making 70k+, and all this from "Poli Sci to Fly".
>>
>>29843969
>19K
Mustaches and motor pools

>11B
Brooms and lawn mowers

>11C
Back injuries and sadness

>19D
11B without the good assignments and the good schools
>>
>you will never be good/brave enough to join SF

Why even live?
>>
worried about my PT, I can only do like 30 push ups and sit ups, and my mile run is like 8:30. I don't even know if I can do 2. how badly will I get shit on at basic training?
>>
>>29845547
How far out are you
>>
>>29845682
14 days, I took quick ship because I'm retarded
>>
>>29845403

Can you elaborate?

I'm curious.
>>
>>29845547
>>29845724

Are you heavy? Normal weight? I lost twenty pounds in two months of basic training. I don't know what your entry standards are for army, but if you don't meet them when you arrive you'll get put in PCP (physical conditioning Platoon) until such a point that your ass can do the exercise. Once you're through PCP, your run through regular Basic should get you to the exit standards. It's really hard to get weak in Basic unless you get direly sick or injured.
>>
>>29845751
Elaborate on what? How retarded 19Ds are?
>>
>>29845789

Yes. It sounds like you have some good stories of retardation/cringe/disgusting.
>>
>>29845766
200#, 6'3", 27 years old.
when I get out of reception, I'm assuming they get an assessment of your current physical state. what happens if I don't even make minimum standards?
>>
>>29845724
You only need 50% of the standard to pass your basic APFT. 30 push-ups is close. You should be alright.
>>
>>29845800

If you're already at basic? If you fail any physical test they either let you have a retake or send you straight to PCP.

If you're not at basic, they SHOULDN'T send you, but they sometimes do anyway since you don't get to leave Basic until you suffer a critical injury, meet the terms of your contract, pass, or get recycled three (or more) times.
>>
>>29845794
I have plenty of those from nearly all MOSs and units, but cavalry seems to be all it's own because they think they're special. These guys can't make a sync matrix or timeline to save their lives, can't hit time on target, can't report accurately, can't disseminate information and most importantly take care of their soldiers. One company had maybe 4 hours of sleep last night before having to get up and perform maneuvers all day since they couldn't figure out where the hell they were supposed to be.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.