[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point does reloading become cheaper in $$/Round ? For
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: RSbench_022607Aa.jpg (43 KB, 420x275) Image search: [Google]
RSbench_022607Aa.jpg
43 KB, 420x275
At what point does reloading become cheaper in $$/Round ?

For example, 30-40 Krag is ~1.50$ a round but .308 is like 40 cents, and common handgun rounds are even cheaper.
>>
>>29820118
But steel cased .308 is going to have shit consistency. It doesn't cost any more to have precise powder loads. More consistent brass and bullets may well cost more
>>
6.5 creedmoor is $1.6 retail.

Using new components, my first load is $1.54 each subsequent reload is 45 cents.
>>
>>29820147
>>29820118
Consistency isn't my concern.

If I can shoot an neat rifle like a Krag–Jorgensen at 50% the 'market' ammo price then I'd be pretty happy, as opposed to an M14 at full prices.

At least I think it's a Krag–Jorgensen. It's got that weird side door thing and shoots 30-40, what else could it be?

>>29820193
>1.60$ per round retail
>First load is $1.54 each subsequent reload is 45 cents

THIS is the kind of info I was looking for. 6.5 creed seems like it would be on the more expensive end too.

If I invested in reloading as a hobby and people in the local circle I get into know this, will I become "the guy" for reloads? Not looking for profit, but getting usefulness out of an investment is important to me.
>>
>>29820193
$1.09 online man
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-creedmoor
>>
Some rounds like 44 mag are going for almost $1 ea but my reloading component cost including new brass is about $0.30 for cheap commercial cast bullets and $0.50 for a pricier jacketed hollow point. I think if you should look at it more as a useful skill or hobby than cost saver though so it doesn't become a chore.
>>
>>29820225
>>29820118
>30-40 Krag
Brass alone seems to be 50 cents.

You're in for a bad time.
>>
>>29820225
Sounds like you're trying to find the quick way to get sued into bankruptcy
>>
>>29820398
So reloading is advised to be "personal use only" then?
>>
>>29820118
If the ammo goes for less than 50¢/rd I'll just buy it outright, unless it's not available. I'll reload for everything else.
>>
>>29820241
Not for what i shoot. Cheapest ive found for 143grn eldx is $1.40ish plus shipping

$1.60 is what i payed last at cabelas
>>
let me put it to you like this:

if you are trying to get into reloading strictly for the potential savings, dont bother. you wont really get enough of a savings to justify the time and effort.

if you want to get into reloading to save money and you think it would be fun and insteresting, absolutely go for it
>>
>>29820118
With old milsurp calibers the difference is almost immediate. I can reload 8mm Lebel for $0.55/rnd. Buying it is $1.70/rnd. But for something like 9mm....I can make loads for $0.14/rnd. But that's not much cheaper than I can buy it for. Ultimately it comes down to whether or not you have the time.
>>
I can load 9mm for 10cpr, and people can load for even cheaper if components are bought cheaper or free. You can pay off a good progressive press (which saves time and make loading actually worth it for people who are just into saving time and money) in just 5-6K rounds.

For some people it's not worth it as that would be a few years worth of shooting before savings actually materialize. I paid off my press in 2 years.
>>
General rule is most reloading setups will pay for themselves after 500 rounds if it's not hella expensive. Pretty much anything that isn't a service or surplus cartridge or over 30-50cpr is worth it if you shoot in any volume. How much you save depends on how far in depth you want to get and how many reloads the brass/hull will take.
>>
It'd make sense to split with a range buddy. Go halves in a good progressive setup, spend an afternoon once a month shooting the shit and loading a bunch of rare / expensive rounds.

Fuck plugging away to save pennies on practice 9mm though.
>>
>>29820485
>if you are trying to get into reloading strictly for the potential savings, dont bother. you wont really get enough of a savings to justify the time and effort.
This is absolutely not true for .45-70. New .45-70 is multiple dollars per round. A Lee Classic Loader pays for itself after a single range day.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.