[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dumb question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 220x229
Why are steel rifle magazines always corrugated? Would it not be simpler to make a metal box without corrugations? Is it a matter of increasing structural integrity?
>>
>>29810905
when you conjugate the magazine it makes it harder to make run off from the bullet. it holds them tighter in it while it still is flawless and has a great grip or "feel" to it. it worked fine on the 20 rounders and then they put it on a 30 to make it grip easier. i am not a robot
>>
>>29810905
OUNCES TO POUNDS

POUNDS TO PAIN
>>
it gives the magazine a higher level of rigidity, same concept as the reinforcing ribs on top of the AKM dust cover.

I heard that chinese AK mags didn't have them at first, and this caused malfunctions when conscripts fired gripping the mag with stress-induced strength, but I couldn't vouch for that being true.
>>
>>29810905
more rigidity, less contact.
>>
>>29810943
Putting ribs in it increases surface area... So really it makes the magazine heavier very slightly, more than anything else.
>>
>>29810905
Allows for anti-tilt, and it acts as a guide for the bullets. Notice the really big corrugation in the front is right where the mouth of the brass is and where the tip of the actual bullet is.
>>
>>29810905
Load a mag and look down. The mag is designed that way to hold the ammo.
>>
>>29810947
/this
basic metal manufacturing science & design

same reason corrugated metal roofing & siding is corrugated.
>>
>>29810964
>Putting ribs in it
when our lord god and savior Eugene Stoner created his beloved children, he raised them from the dust of the earth, and gave them ribs
>>
>>29810943
ounces == pounds
pounds == pain
pain == man-the-fuck-up
>>
>>29810905
>would it not be simpler to make a metal box without corrugarions?
How do you think magazines are made? Do you think someone sits there and caewfully hammers the corrugations into the steel? Theyre all pressed out in one motion by machines by the thousands every day.
>>
>>29810905
Its for debris
and structural integrity

you have places for debris to egress
>>
>>29810905
I think it started with the Enfield magazine. They realized that they're prone to being dented and making the ammo misalign inside the mag, causing failure to feed. Adding ribs meant that the dents had no real effect on alignment.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.