[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google couldn't figure this one out for me. Does shooting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: F1KTKSGFDE.jpg (140 KB, 800x520) Image search: [Google]
F1KTKSGFDE.jpg
140 KB, 800x520
Google couldn't figure this one out for me. Does shooting slugs out of a smoothbore shotgun damage the barrel in any way?

My family swears you need a rifled barrel for slugs but they also believe 9mm can't kill a person so I thought it was fuddlore.

Can I hit a human torso reliably at 50 yards with slugs through a smooth bore?

Pic kinda related I want one.
>>
>>29809102
Riled slugs
>>
File: auto 5 fps.jpg (865 KB, 1908x2424) Image search: [Google]
auto 5 fps.jpg
865 KB, 1908x2424
>>29809102
Smooth bore is fine. Choke is more important, I believe cylinder is preferable for shooting slugs.

If I recall correctly, though, you might need a rifled barrel to use saboted slugs, or at the very least to fully reap the benefits of saboted slugs.

Personally, I can hit a torso at 50 yards consistently using only the front bead on my Browning Auto-5 and foster style Remington 2 3/4" slugs.
>>
>>29809102
Rifled slugs are designed for smooth bore shotguns and sabot slugs are designed for rifled barrels. Next time try Google first.
>>
No. But it can damage the choke.
>>
Does anybody even use a choke when shooting buckshot or slugs? I'm a fudd and shoot buckshot with my stock modified choke Nova
>>
>>29809172
>>29809157
>>29809158

If I choose to add a choke to a shotgun, would running buckshot/turkey loads interchangeably with rifled slugs be fine?
>>
>>29809192
YEa
>>
>>29809192
Depends in the choke, also not usually something you can just add to a gun.
>>
>>29809192
Slugs should use Improved Cylinder, Skeet or Cylinder chokes.

Turkey chokes are the most restrictive and will result in fubar if you throw a slug through it.
>>
>>29809292
Cylinder, improved cylinder, modified, and full are the basic terms.
>>29809172
>>29809192

I run everything on a modified choke with my 11-87. Slug accuracy seems solid, I had 3 touching and a 4th 2 inches away at 50yds out of a 26" barrel w/ breneke rifled slugs.

Buckshot and birdshot patterns are tightened a little bit compared to cylinder.

>>29809102
You can shoot just about anything out of an improved cylinder. Best results will be with a rifled slug, unrifled and sabot slugs will shoot but noticibally less accurate. Chokes don't make a difference until you get to full or extra full. Or if you cast your own out of antimony or some other hard alloy.

Now with rifled barrels you can shoot anything but you see less accuracy with rifled slugs compared to sabot or unrifled. Also many people recommend against using steel waterfowl loads in rifled barrels because it supposedly wears out the rifling faster.
>>
>>29809147
The rifling does not impart spin on the slug. It's supposed to help the slug fit through a choke.
>>
>>29809960
Not this shit again. You can fuck right off.
>>
>>29809960
Are you going to tell us how Foster slugs work like a shuttlecock and that the base of the slug is what keeps it stable in flight?
>>
>>29809676
Yep, mod is about as tight as you want to go with a foster type rifled slug before most people start to see serious accuracy degradation. Foster slugs are generally safe to go through full, but accuracy is an issue.

Adding to shot through rifled barrels, the rifling will tend to open up or donut the pattern, so even though you can generally shoot shot out of a rifle barrel without causing any harm, it's not gonna give you ideal performance anyways.
>>
>>29809151

Will shooting slugs out of a full choke fuck over your gun? I've heard mixed things. I'm under the impression that you can but if you keep doing it the odds of tearing up your barrel rise substantially.
>>
>>29809102
Let's put it this way...the guys at demolition ranch put their shotgun through hell and the only thing that's damaged the barrel any was the cut slugs they used once.
>>
>>29812011
Just don't put a solid ball through it and it'll be fine. Factory rifled foster slugs are designed so that the "rifling" swages down to fit tightly through the choke.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.