[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/, I recently learned that the PK-AS optic is often not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: ZenRifles 070.jpg (148 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ZenRifles 070.jpg
148 KB, 800x600
Hi /k/,

I recently learned that the PK-AS optic is often not placed directly over the bore of the AK rifle but rather is offset to the left
Why is this done?
What are the advantages / disadvantages of this setup?
How does this affect shootability?

Regards,
anonymous
>>
File: 1459362127830.jpg (18 KB, 599x456) Image search: [Google]
1459362127830.jpg
18 KB, 599x456
>>29805673
Hello anonymoos
>>
>>29805939
Hi
>>
>>29805673
>can't mount normal because of gun design
>advantage, using an optic
>disadvantage, sloppy
>>
>>29805673
They sit offset because it was the easiest way to allow you to still use the irons.

A dot sitting off to the side a bit doesn't change much for normal shooting. For very unconventional positions, say laying on your side and shooting the rifle while holding it at an angle, the offset is another variable that people will need to take into account.
>>
>>29805673
>advantage
well if you have to mount it that way, then you get to ise a shitty optic?
>disadvantage
another axis of offset, though you probably arent running it in any precision competitions.
>>
>>29806555
>>29806686
>>29806743
Thanks. So I suppose there's no secret Belarusian magic involved then, just an unfortunate compromise due to the weapon's design.
>>
>>29807259
U r welcum anun
>>
File: griffin-howe-mount-how-works[1].jpg (146 KB, 1220x821) Image search: [Google]
griffin-howe-mount-how-works[1].jpg
146 KB, 1220x821
garands and a few other old rifles did this, too

Most rifle setups in this manner are the result of
A) dust cover mounting being less rigid and will add some play depending on design
B) putting the scope over the action would interfere with top-loading actions
>>
>>29807259
as a pro the irons are unobstructed
>>
>>29805673
It makes the AK easier to field stripe. AK's are all about reliability.
>>
>>29807533
I have the option of doing this for my Win94. Still playing with the idea.
>>
>>29807856
How much does it cost?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.