[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
gun safe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Anyone have suggestions on a safe? Not a small one. Just curious what you /k/omrades are using. Maybe something pic-related size.
>>
best deal going.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

after them look at Fort Knox and Amsec

avoid chinese imports, avoid sentry, avoid liberty, avoid browning, avoid basicly anything you see at a Bass Pro or Gander Mountain.
>>
I will tell you one big thing about gun safes....

Most insurance claims against gun losses in a gun safe are NOT criminals....

It's flood damage...

Criminals have a hard time getting into even the cheapest safes but in a flood all your guns get wreckt....

If you live in a flood area at all never put your gun safe in the basement...
>>
>>29805137
if youre not buying a stupid expensive safe, it literally doesnt matter. all inexpensive safes are easy to break into within a few minutes. pick out the sturdiest looking one that is large enough for your needs and BOLT IT DOWN.
>>
>>29809137
Someone should make flood proof safes. Shouldn't be that hard, just a few rubber seals here and there.
>>
I have a 10-gun stack on I got for free from my neighbor, I put all my funs in it, a couple 50 pound sandbags on top of the guns, then put some trash bags full of empty beer cans on top of it in my garage
>>
>>29809190
>Someone should make flood proof safes.

They do!

Problem is... 3 weeks later they find it. Crushed and smashed and those cheap rubbers are gone... Your guns have been under salt or maybe fresh water for three weeks... Unless you bought Ruger all-weather guns or some fancy shit like that the guns are destroyed and your insurance will just give you a check for them rather than paying a magic gunsmith any dollars to fix them.

All guns have ia insurance value....

If you have some magic gun handed to you from the queen with gold, silver, and diamonds on it then you need much more than a home safe and special insurance for it.

But really, if SHTF the best place for your guns is right there with with you :)
>>
Unless you have some rare shit or something that greatly goes up in value after purchase wouldn't it just be cheaper to only insure them?
>>
>>29807025
Why avoid liberty? I've heard good things about them.
>>
>>29809449
Nogunz detected.
I have a .22 rifle my best friend in high school gave me that's a piece of shit and I never touched it, then he died in a car accident years later. I treat it like the fucking ark of the covenant.
I also have a bunch of old ammo I got when my grandfather died.
You can't get insurance on memories.
>>
>>29805137
spending anything less than 10-15k on a safe and you are just begging for someone to steal your shit.
>>
File: 1446841966670.png (136 KB, 731x527) Image search: [Google]
1446841966670.png
136 KB, 731x527
>>29807025
790$ for their cheapest safe that can really only hold a few pistols.
I hope your going to prove to us that you have one of these if not similar.
Don't get me wrong I agree if you can go all out and drop that kind of money on a safe do so. But not everyone is going to have 2-3 grand to drop on one unless they're saving up for it for however long.
*even then id have trouble pulling the trigger on that if I knew i could get one the same size for a lot less and just invest in a alarm system/ other deterring elements around the house*
Besides whats keeping someone from putting their safe in a out of the way/ confined area like a closet where something like a crowbar will have a hard time getting at it? It isn't like the criminals have free reign over your safe like the video with the guys in the warehouse with ample space and it not being bolted down.
But then again if GigaNigga9000 invades with all the time in the world sure nothing you hold dearly is safe
>>
>>29809457
Because Liberty safes (and the others named) are cheaply made and skimp on quality. They are not deterrents to burglary, they have poor fire resistance, and are extremely easy to break into (until you get up to the National or Presidential). Grab a power tool and even those are useless.

Set aside a reasonable amount of money ($1K to $3K) and make yourself a familiar face/name with your local locksmiths. Ask them for assistance in finding at least a B rate safe. (1/2" plate steel door and 1/4" plate steel body.) New, you're looking at approximately $1800 for a brand new B rate safe with 2 hour fire resistance. Two catches though: the interiors are shorter than cheap gun safes and often need to be customized to efficiently hold guns.

>>29809539
Not quite. A used TL-15 safe can be had for under $3K. The typical crowd safe dealers see is convinced that a $300 Stack-On is high security and that their Schlage deadbolts intimidate burglars (just like their Stack-On fire safe will). The other aspect is that people who are interested in actual security only buy such a safe once. (Good safes are extremely durable. An upgrade only comes when they're out of space for their most valuable items or the value of the items exceeds what the safe is capable of protecting.)

>>29809647
Deterrents don't prevent entry, merely dissuade staying too long. Residential alarms are extremely low priority for most police departments.

http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/
>>
>>29805137
I bought a Field and Stream 10-gun mechanical combination safe this past Black Friday - $300.
>>
Convert a room or space into a safe for the same or less. I have a room with no windows that's hidden under the stairs. You have a hidden bookcase, behind that a steel door with an rfid deadbolt. Cinder block walls. $700 DIY.
>>
>>29811115
Worth mentioning that I'm 80% saved on a vault door. That's the final step for my room. Freight is killing me though for a concrete filled door. Anyone done the self fill doors?
>>
>>29811228
Why pay freight? Look at other retailers too. An Amsec VD8036BF is about $5K and ships for free from many retailers. Use an out-of-state online retailer who ships free and save sales tax too.
>>
I have an 18 long gun, "fire resistant", Sentry brand safe. I waited till black Friday sales to buy mine. I saved $100+ buy waiting for sales, so that is something to consider.

The half I have setup for 9 rifles holds about 5 rifles. I don't know what type of guns they use to measure these things, but they aren't rifles.
>>
I am concerned.

I live in an apartment.
First floor ( over a basement)
On a cornrner lot.

I have my safe bolted down ( just a liberty) and an alarm.

What more should i do.
I want a Strudy Safe but. I am worried about weight. Cant do anything to the front door lock.

Best i figure is get a rider on my insurance for full value replacement.
>>
>>29812887
buy a bigger safe and put your current safe in it.
>>
>>29812887
Hide the fact you have a safe there too. I have a shitty decoy in the open with a ratball shotgun and shells for another caliber. The big toys are in a second hidden safe that is more secure. Most thieves wanna smash and grab, not fuck with a bunch of safes. Especially if they think I have the easy safe.
>>
>>29814324
>This
I have an old Sears bolt action 20 gauge sitting outside the safe with 12ga shells next to it. If tyrone wants a gun he will take that and book it rather than stand around and try to work at my safe while the house alarm is going off.
>>
Not a bad idea.

Maybe a crapy snap on locker with an old 870 with a welded firing pin channel.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.