[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yes, yes, cavalry has a certain dash to it that no other branch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 12
File: Echlin’s Dragoons.jpg (106 KB, 600x664) Image search: [Google]
Echlin’s Dragoons.jpg
106 KB, 600x664
Yes, yes, cavalry has a certain dash to it that no other branch of arms has.

But has cavalry ever been useful outside of non-combat roles (recon, etc.) where the enemy wasn't disorganized or untrain?

It seems like the only way for cavalry to be useful on battle is for Infantry or Artillery to make openings for them (while Infantry and Artillery can be useful without needing another branch of arms to come assist them to be useful)
>>
>(while Infantry and Artillery can be useful without needing another branch of arms to come assist them to be useful)

Oh how little you know
>>
>>29802381

I'm more than willing to learn.
>>
>>29802358
You realize that artillery relies on the ordnance branch right? And that they both rely on medical, logistics, and finance to name a few.
If you're speaking of horse mounted cavalry, they are used as scouts, harass the rear ranks and flank of line infantry, act as shock troops to break a line and create a gap for enemy infantry to exploit.
And it would be hilarious to watch a matross battery fight and infantry regiment with no supporting infantry of thier own. Hint: it would be a short, one sided battle
>>
File: US Army Cavalryman.jpg (84 KB, 544x768) Image search: [Google]
US Army Cavalryman.jpg
84 KB, 544x768
>>29804333

Of course all combat arms rely on the support branches. I never meant to imply that.

I only meant that it seemed to me that the Cavalry (as compared to the Infantry and Artillery) need the most help from their fellow combat arms branches to be useful.

I'm not implying that Infantry and Artillery don't need assistance as well, just that Cavalry seems to need the most.
>>
>>29804366
Oh good. I thought you were dumb for a second.
They do require more support, as they are smaller in number, more lightly armed, and more specialized. But artillery can't operate without the infantry and infantry is almost blind without cavalry. But cavalry is deadly to light infantry, irregulars and rifle companies
>>
File: OH-58D_2.jpg (779 KB, 2346x1898) Image search: [Google]
OH-58D_2.jpg
779 KB, 2346x1898
What's with all the horses? This is the only Cav I know of.
>>
>>29802358
>cavalry has a certain dash to it that no other branch of arms has
Pretty sure anyone with any shred of military knowledge doesn't believe this
>>
>To Harry
>To Skirmish
>To recon
>Providing Messaging
>Providing pulling strength
>Providing Emergency MRE
>Running down enemy
>Drawing artiliery to the field
>MOTHERFUCKING DRAGOONS
>Logistics train

You dense motherfucker.
>>
>>29804366

Post-1914 Cavalrymen are my jam
>>
File: Mongol_Horsemen.jpg (48 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Mongol_Horsemen.jpg
48 KB, 480x320
>>29802358
Calvalry have never been useful....
>>
File: Legnica.jpg (742 KB, 886x632) Image search: [Google]
Legnica.jpg
742 KB, 886x632
>>29808341
Considering who they fought.

And don't forget the many cavalry-on-cavalry battles they fought where it mattered more they were the best trained soldiers in the world rather than that they were cavalry
>>
File: 1364597456127.jpg (69 KB, 600x377) Image search: [Google]
1364597456127.jpg
69 KB, 600x377
>>29808021
>>
File: Rho.jpg (558 KB, 610x778) Image search: [Google]
Rho.jpg
558 KB, 610x778
>>29810698
>>
File: 1385704773081.gif (545 KB, 324x216) Image search: [Google]
1385704773081.gif
545 KB, 324x216
>>29802358
As you said recon and most important logistics.
Technically still combat but running down routed enemies before they can regroup/flee.
Any army depends on combined arms making it more than the number of its parts.
>>
>>29804366
>I only meant that it seemed to me that the Cavalry (as compared to the Infantry and Artillery) need the most help from their fellow combat arms branches to be useful.
Depends on the time period. However, historically cavalry has been a combined arms force. They bring their own cannons with them. They dismount when needed.
>>
>>29806890

As an ex-19D, scouts DO have a dash no other branch has.
>>
The threat of massed cavalry was often sufficient to keep infantry penned in place in a square while artillery battered it or infantry approached. Cav could play merry hell on an infantry line, provided they caught an exposed flank or rear.

On top of that, an unguarded battery was a ripe target for cavalry, so dragoons or hussars frequently made long flanking maneuvers around enemy lines to attack supply caravans and artillery positions.

Cavalry was the most mobile anti-cavalry force.

Light dragoons doubled as mounted rifles, so worked well for quickly plugging gaps.
>>
File: Spec Ops.jpg (488 KB, 1881x1139) Image search: [Google]
Spec Ops.jpg
488 KB, 1881x1139
>>29810718
>>
File: Ulani_RB3.jpg (426 KB, 960x968) Image search: [Google]
Ulani_RB3.jpg
426 KB, 960x968
>>29811280
>>
>>29805616
He must be on his way to the dumpster
>>
>>29806890
It goes back to the days when you had to supply your own horses. Only the rich people could do so, hence cavalry has a tradition of being more....aristocratically minded I guess would be the best way to describe it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.