[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Are Range Safety Officers Unpleasant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 28
File: yelling-man1.jpg (133 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
yelling-man1.jpg
133 KB, 600x423
>Be me
>At indoor range shooting rifle
>All brass I'm shooting goes over the line
>Want brass to reload
>Stop shooting and go to gunstore part of place and ask the guy if its ok to grab once range goes cold, since there wasn't an RSO at the range.
>He says, as long as no one is in the range its fine with him.
>Everyone but me leaves range.
>RSO enters range
>Let him know the range doesn't have anyone else but me, and the guy running the place says its fine for me to get it.
>Yells at me and says I cant. (Normally yelling is fine, but there wasn't anyone shooting)
>I remind him and say the guy said I could, because there isn't anyone there.
>Legit points to the patch on his shirt that says "Range safety officer" and says, "I don't care what he says, you see this patch? This means I'm the range safety officer, and I say you can't"
>K
>Finish up for day, person later next to me says its cool if I take his brass.
>Start picking up his with mine
>RSO starts yelling at me again, accusing me of trynna pull a fast one on them. Actually angry.
>I tell him the guy said I could.
>He doesn't care
>Still yells to never do it again.

Seriously why are they so unpleasant? They make me hate going to the range. And I live in Columbus and have no place to go inna woods, so I'm fucked.
>>
>>29801166
probably because being a dick is the way to keep retards from tarding
>>
Probably wants the brass for himself
Probably just a dickhead

Who gives a fuck, if the owner said it's okay I would've ignored him completely.
>>
>>29801166
They're dicks because people are stupid and need to be a little afraid.

I've seen Pajeets posing with a loaded rental AK pointed at their son's head at a range, and people going near-vertical with SMGs they can't handle. Somebody has to be breathing down their necks or there'd be even more of that shit.

If someone gets hurt on that RSO's watch their life is pretty fucked, too.
>>
because in life people are desperate for power, no matter how small it is.
>>
>>29801179
What is where and when to be a dick, and not all the time?
>>
Most range safety officers are baby boomers

There is no such thing as a pleasant baby boomer

They are in a non-stop crisis due to their mediocre lives, health issues and subpar bodies.
>>
>>29801166

Probably just jaded into hatefulness from years of dealing with complete idiots

I've gotten to be the same way at my work (mechanic). You get enough retards coming in with retard complaints and eventually you reach the point that before you take the time to verify/diagnose the problem, your gut reaction is to think "I bet this fucking retard doesn't even know how this car works". Most of the time there does end up being a legit problem, much like most of the time range goers end up being fine, but you get the stupid situations just often enough to alter your general attitude
>>
>>29801166
Never had problems at the range. Have had problems at gun store though aparantly do you need help is a rhetorical question.
>>
>>29801225
I dunno anon boomers are getting pretty old these days, they're starting to suckle the teat of government in droves
>>
>>29801166
The only controlled range around here operates for 1 week before hunting season to help people sight in their fudd rifles for durrs. Otherwise we just go innawoods and blast. I will never understand that feel, and that feels good man.

Fucking cities are a different damn universe.
>>
File: 1441198065469.png (2 MB, 905x904) Image search: [Google]
1441198065469.png
2 MB, 905x904
>>29801225
>tfw the only cool boomer you can think of is hickok
>>
>go to range
>rso is super cool, my dad even helped his friend find a job
>leaves orange juice and doughnuts occasionally
>pretty sure he lives on the range
I'm like the only person ever at the range, other than border patrol officers occasionally qualifying on their part of the range.
>>
File: Blender_bottle_large.png (115 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Blender_bottle_large.png
115 KB, 480x480
Op again, forgot to mention that at this range excluding this time, I've had nothing but decent times. As well I've almost always brought a water bottle with me, and just put it on the back bench where people put their ammobox . guns not in use and shit.
In the time he was yelling at me, he also bitched me out about bringing in a water bottle to the range, and how it was against the rules and shit.
I've brought in that bottle to that range like 5x before that, with no complaints or even an eye batted towards it. Pic related to what I brought. As well I would only drink from it at the back bench, never even close to where people were shooting.
>>
>>29801479
probably just a dick enjoying the small amount of power he feels over people

I don't go to ranges much but so far I've only encountered bro-tier ROs, I must be lucky
>>
File: 1406437193739.gif (273 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1406437193739.gif
273 KB, 320x240
>mfw my range doesn't even have an RSO. They use a CCTV system and just watch from the front desk and then come in if somebody is being retarded.
>>
>>29801166
>My place lets you rent guns by yourself
>They telll you not to shoot the ceiling, they dont care
>They tell you if you ask to only pick up your brass but the have huge containers bursting at the seams you can fill up on
>Alot of cameras that no one up front watchs

Only downside is the guns are dirty and some dumb staff, others are uber cool and smart.
>>
>>29801559
Mine does the same thing. They also like to come give people "what the fuck was that!?!" looks through the window when they hear me rapid firing a shotgun.
>>
Ask to talk to management next time.
It instills obedience in all wageslaves.
>>
>>29801166
RSO's are generally assholes. Luckily the place I go to has big bags of brass that they sell for like next to nothing.

The only reason they dont let you collect the brass is because morons do moron things. Especially niggers.
>>
File: 0501161248-1.jpg (83 KB, 1725x382) Image search: [Google]
0501161248-1.jpg
83 KB, 1725x382
>>29801166
>be me
>be rso
>guy literally walks lane to lane, using our broom to pull brass back across the line
>he starts picking up not only his brass, but everyone else's too
>he cleans out like 6 lanes worth of brass
>when we see him coming in we now go out n sweep the lane we're going out him on and like 5 more in either direction

Most ranges reload the brass, so taking all of it is kinda a dick move.
>>
>>29801669

This.

>state-owned free shooting range
>one RSO is fine, the other is a complete dick
>dick to me every fucking time I go shoot
>enforcing his "own rules" that aren't listed by the State
>makes the mistake of telling me that he keeps his wife in the building during the day aka crony government employees doing crony things
>Call up my fucking State Representative, who I know because he's been my dentist for 20 years and I volunteered on his campaign.
>Tell him all about it, and give him my recommendations (no RSO's during the weekdays, have them on the weekends for the normies)
>Dick RSO is "reassigned", my recommendations are going into effect in July, I get a letter thanking me for saving the State taxpayer dollars

All the old faggot had to do was keep his mouth shut and mind his own business, but nope, he couldn't do that. So now he's cleaning up shit from a public campground about 30 minutes away from what I heard.
>>
File: SucksToBeYou.jpg (49 KB, 700x669) Image search: [Google]
SucksToBeYou.jpg
49 KB, 700x669
>Pay attention in school
>Get decent job
>Work hard
>Get repeatedly promoted
>Use funds to buy shootin lands

MFW reading range threads.
>>
>>29802829
>makes the mistake of telling me that he keeps his wife in the building during the day aka crony government employees doing crony things

I don't understand what you mean by this, can you explain please?
>>
>>29802897
In the fantasy world that poster lives in, there are people in the government who'd actually take the time to listen to any of the many random boobs who call to complain about shit, then care at all about 'wasting taxpayer dollars' to actually take action. As if they don't go after a government career expressly so they can do that very thing.

The icing on the cake is the thank you letter. I can visualize the childlike joy in this idiots eyes that he can even imagine a government agent doing that.
>>
>>29802935
makes sense
>>
>>29801166
1. That guy needed to pick his own brass up and give it to you for you to take it. Otherwise, you're stealing the ranges brass which they sell to a 3rd party to remanufacture.

2. He is the RSO and if he doesn't want you going past the line then you don't go past the line. The clerk at the front desk is not his boss and when he is acting RSO then he's king and that's that.

3. The proper way to handle that situation is to out of the range area, ask for the owner or manager and let them know that you do not appreciate the poor attitude and demeanor directed at you, the paying customer who could just as easily go to range [X] because you live just as close to there but you prefer that range because you've always gotten good service.
>>
File: 1458342698751.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1458342698751.gif
2 MB, 300x225
here are my experiences

>go to indoor range/LGS
>never seen a range officer
>no idea if they're behind the counter somewhere or what
>zero interaction

>go to outdoor range
>range officer is a vietnam vet
>you can tell that being around constant gunfire is soothing to him
>range officer teaches me how to use the clay pigeon launcher
>nice guy, offers to loam a stapler to anyone without one
>>
>>29802965
Found the cuck
>>
>>29801166
He was a brass gypsy and stole your brass
>>
>>29801201
What does any of that have to do with an empty range and collecting your brass you stupid fuck.
I'm not op but you're a complete moron because the RSO should've at that point kept the range safe from any new people arriving so he could pick his fucking brass up.
>>
Most of the RSO's I've interacted with have been total bro tier. Occasionally one power trips.

>be going to vandalia range and armory
>finish shooting
>take mag out of gun
>stick thumb in locked open breach on pistol
>point down with breach open and thumb in it
>walk from lane to back wall where bag is
>it's crowded
>RSO says, "muzzle up"
Apparently this is a new rule they've instituted
>Don't want to muzzle sweep anyone, just out of habit, take a split second to look for an angle where I'm not going to point the gun at someones head.
>RSO grabs my wrist and twists the gun upwards, no injury or pain or anything but he grabbed me.
>Jerk my hand back from him.
>Throw my stuff in the range bag and leave.
>on my way out tell a clerk that I will not be back because of the RSO but I'm pissed so just leave it at that.
>Go exclusively to state owned outdoor range for nearly a year instead.
>Every time ranges come up during that time, make sure to point out what a jerk the guy at Vandalia Range and Armory was and how the state range is so much cheaper and better.
>One day finally decide to go back to Vandalia Range and Armory
>Owner is there and on the sales floor.
>He says, "Hey, haven't seen you in here in a long while? What have you been up to?"
>Tell him the RSO grabbed my wrist and it cost him a year's business from me.
>Go to shoot
>New RSO tells me the current policy is to carry your gun in the range bag from the stall to the tables or to just not have it out of the bag except at the stall.
>Ask why?
>He points to several bullet dings in the sides of the stalls right next to where people's heads would be if they were occupying the space.

IDK man, that range is 99% bro tier cool people but that one guy really pissed me. I also wouldn't want to have to deal with the idiots that come in there, it's a popular range and they get all kinds. If it were my range, I'd be pretty strict about the rules too.
>>
>>29803129
No, the OP should have grabbed one of the brooms and swept his brass back to himself.
>>
>>29802951
>>29802935
>(you)

try living in a small town and having friends instead of being a loner living out by the sticks writing your manuscript about the ebil ebil gubberment
>>
>>29801198
/thread

pack it up boys
>>
>>29802897

His unemployed wife was using the range's facilities every single day. As in bathrooms, air-conditioned office, internet, drinks, etc.

>>29802935

Things operate different at a local and state level than at the national level. I've only met my national representative a few times, but I have my state rep's and state sen's personal cellular number. I go and present shit during General Assembly every year, mostly on gun issues.

Thinking about running for mayor this year. Position is open and it's a small town.
>>
>>29802829
>complains about State official and nepotism
>personally knows his Representative so gets a better response from him

the irony is palpable
>>
>>29802935
My state rep was my middle school PE coach and is in the same hunting club as my dad. The mayor of my hometown was one of my teachers in high school and her husband was my family's dentist.
>>
>>29802868
>Pay attention in school
>Get decent job
>Work hard
>Get repeatedly promoted
>Use funds to build house in Key West florida
>Have to use indoor range when not on hunting trip.
>Resist temptation to just cruise out into ocean and shoot boeys or some shit, to avoid the cringey stuff that happens everytime i go to the gun range.

I have some stories if anyone cares
>>
>>29801166

Talk to the store's owner. Tell him his employee is treating customers like trash and screaming like a petulant child and that you want an apology or you're taking your business elsewhere.

He's an employee on a power trip, you're a customer, that shit doesn't fly.
>>
>>29801238
>i bet this fucking retard doesn't even know how this car works
That's probably why they're taking it to a mechanic
>>
>>29801238

Sounds like you're just an asshole anon.
>>
>>29802965
>Pick up his own brass to give away
Fuck you its not range property because it's owned by whoever owned the ammo and they can freely transfer ownership as they please it becomes ran he property when the owner chooses to leave it at the range
>>
File: 1452719299784.jpg (377 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1452719299784.jpg
377 KB, 1000x1500
>>29802868
We're working on it, swear. But it takes time.

>tfw might just buy a few acres of cheap desert on or about the California/Arizona border instead of waiting to get a nicer, more livable, larger plot
>tfw want to move to the middle of nowhere but no jobs out there and worried about being tfwnogf forever

>>29803276
Sure, shoot. (So to speak.).
>>
File: 005.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>Go to outdoor, state owned range
>Go during week so I'm the only one out there

What's an RSO? and while your at it, what are these "people" of which you speak? They all seem like assholes
>>
>Too cold to shoot at my local outdoor range
>Walk in to local indoor range
>Can only shoot range ammo
>$30 for 100 9mm, $40 for 100 45ACP ect.
>"NO PICKING UP USED BRASS" signs posted everywhere
>Ask about brass catcher
>Get told that keeping my brass is stealing range property
>Turn 360 degrees and moonwalk back to outdoor range
>Never enter a facility with tactical in the name ever again
>>
>>29803473
OP here, I'm trying to start going to outdoor state range, but only one around me is the Delaware County shooting range near Columbus.
Anyone go to that one before? I'm just trynna shoot fruit, and 2 liters.
>>
>>29802868

Working on it. I swear it would be easier to walk into a gun store and buy $50k worth of guns in one day than it would be to take $50k cash to a real estate agent and buy a house.
>>
>>29803534
If you want to shoot rifles at my indoor range in Columbus, they only allow you to shoot frangible rounds. Which they sell certainly, but at $40 for 50. And its not much cheaper unless you reload them.
>>
File: 1461876784669.png (108 KB, 295x300) Image search: [Google]
1461876784669.png
108 KB, 295x300
>>29803594
>$40 for 50.
please say that was for .308, even then
>>
File: 1321600724201.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1321600724201.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Finally something I can contribute to!

>Be atta outdoor range
>generally a pretty swell place to shoot and most RSOs are chill as fuck
>except for Tina...
>for some reason always seems to end up at my range to cover someone's lunch
>always in my shit
>one time she wanted me to remove my mosin magazine
>give her a "the fuck?" look so she goes ahead and tries it herself
>she can't seem to get it to detach
>let her struggle
>she gives up and says the barrel flag is good enough

I really wish I had filmed it... That said, this is one of many occasions.

>Another fine day at the range
>taking a anon who has never been shooting before to convert him into a have funs
>he's having a great time
>oh fuck it's Tina
>Saiga AK pistol has a malfunction
>cartridge didn't feed, but was bent to shit on the top causing the AK to jam
>start trying to clear
>"Don't stick your finger in there anon it could explode!"
>I stop everything and just fucking look at her with a expressionless face
>I guess you know better than me even though I am shooting the rifle and it's in my fucking hands
>"Okay... Uh.. be careful anon!"
>mon visage quand

She will also B-line straight to me and check my ammunition for steel cores even though I get the shit checked at the range house. I just want to shoot my funs uninterrupted by bullshit.

Honorable mention goes to another gentleman at the range who told us not to pull the fucked casing's bullet out because it could explode. How the fuck does he think that shit gets in there?
>>
>>29801166
>be at range
>all ROs are old as fucking shit
>50/50 split of nice/total cocksuckers
>you have to pick up your brass and you can deposit in buckets or you can take it
>when range is cold you can't stand near your guns or touch them, have to step off the line
>you also cant collect brass near your guns when the range is cold
>they want you to pick up your brass when the range is hot so you're going around picking up brass interrupting people shooting
>for that reason I just let my brass sit there

shitty fudd range 80% of the people there just shoot hunting rifles 1 round an hour
>>
>>29803727
>>
>go to indoor pistol/rifle range
>be shooting my Colt Series 70 MK IV
>range has a 1 shot per second rule
>that shit ain't me
>mag dump at 7 yards
>getting way better groups than everyone else despite shooting faster and further
>eventually some range employee comes over
>"Um, hey, you're not supposed to shoot that fast..."
>say nothing and just hit the button to bring my target back in
>about 50 rounds of .45 in a group smaller than a fist
>He looks at my target, then just quietly walks away
I felt like I had a fucking 18 inch cock
>>
>>29803784
she wants your peepee
>>
>>29801166

Columbus, Ohio?
>>
>>29803985
You own that anon , you do you
>>
>>29803534
>picking up your own property is stealing
Fuck that. I would never return.
>>
Story my dad told me
>my dad's been shooting at this range since the beginning, when you could shoot basically anything
>explosives all the time, shooting dynamite, and whatever
>all is fine
>range has rolled out all sorts of no fun allowed rules
>one of which is .50 BMG shooters must be supervised by a ranger safety officer
>no reason given, my dad doesn't even know why
>the range safety officer that is watching over my dad hasn't a fucking clue at all about .50 BMG
>my dad decides to be an ass and starts messing about, taking a shot every 10 minutes, generally making the RO sit there all damn day
>dad leaves
>again a few months later, a new rule is set
>.50 BMG is now banned from the range
>my dad told me he considered being a RO because of how long he's been shooting there
I don't get it, why do ranges always turn to shit?
>>
>>29801166
Autism.
>>
>>29805224
There is no explanation.

The more ranges turn into no fun allowed zones though, the quicker our rights get torn to shit.
>>
>>29801166
He wants it for himself, or the place sells it.
>>
>>29801225
I learned that working in customer service. Boomers complain about nothing at all and make it seem like you've ruined their life. Even when you give it to them for free, they still act like you owe them more.
>>
>>29801479
Being indoors, it may be a lead safety concern. If they're not keeping the whole place clean, only the area behind the line, they're gonna be dicks about going ahead of the line, plus eating/drinking/smoking/applying cosmetics.
>>
File: what.jpg (12 KB, 439x222) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
12 KB, 439x222
>>29801166
>MFW The indoor range closest to me doesn't let you bring your own ammo, you have to buy ammo from behind the counter while you're there. And of course they don't let you keep the brass either.

Needless to say, I go to the outdoor range closest to me 95% of the time.
>>
>>29802217
Ugh maybe I reload too and maybe I already paid for all that ammo so the brass is still mine. And maybe you shouldn't be claiming I can't keep my property in the name of a bullshit illusion of safety. Cause that's the same argument used for gun control. And gun control is kinda a dick move.

prick
>>
>>29806044
And speaking of which

>most ranges reload the brass
I hope the range isn't selling or letting people buy that, I wouldn't trust that shit for a minute

I don't even let other people shoot my own reloads
>>
File: 1308558026051.png (605 KB, 623x527) Image search: [Google]
1308558026051.png
605 KB, 623x527
>>29804013
>>
>>29801166
I'm young, so the RSOs were dicks to me til I started going often enough and got a membership. But I can understand why. Half the people that shoot at my range are Chinese tourists that barely speak English and rent guns so they can feel like real American cowboys and shit. Deal with people like that all day, and you get pretty high strung.
>>
>>29801198
>>29801205

These
>>
File: 1410173579172.png (366 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1410173579172.png
366 KB, 640x480
>>29803784
>>one time she wanted me to remove my mosin magazine
>>give her a "the fuck?" look so she goes ahead and tries it herself
Obvious attempt to show you that she knows things (even though she might not) so as to generate your interest in her.

>>"Don't stick your finger in there anon it could explode!"

>>"Okay... Uh.. be careful anon!"
Obvious concern for your well-being

>She will also B-line straight to me
She wants your attention, fag.

>and check my ammunition for steel cores even though I get the shit checked at the range house
She wants to keep you out of trouble with the other "authority figures" there, clearly.

>>29804013
>she wants your peepee
This guy called it, and I back his proposal. She wants your D.
>>
>>29803594
Moving closer innacity, I've been going to the outdoor one at Dillion State park a lot (which is pretty chill tier). Sucks that you gotta travel an hour + to shoot outdoors.
>>
way I see it, they deal with the general public, who we know to be fucking stupid, and potentially dangerous items all day long. they have the right to be extremely cautious, and less than patient with unknown elements.
that said being an outright dick about non safety related shit isn't ok
>>
>>29801166
>using a public indoor range
>using a range with a RSO

just kill yourself senpai
>>
File: 1461288079511.jpg (149 KB, 1024x730) Image search: [Google]
1461288079511.jpg
149 KB, 1024x730
I was an RSO for about a year before our range got closed down. It really depends on the range. I was always nice to people and would do my best to help them with any problems they had, my fellow RSO's were the same way and we took pride in being friendly and professional. Some ranges are just littered with grumpy old fudds I suppose
>>
>>29801166
What range do you go to OP? I live in Columbus too.
>>
File: 1448751967472.jpg (17 KB, 154x193) Image search: [Google]
1448751967472.jpg
17 KB, 154x193
>>29801559
>go to indoor range for the first time
>been in the shop a few times though so they kind of recognize me
>he jokingly tells me not to do anything dumb because they have cameras down there
>"But if I shoot the camera first then you can't tell what I'm doing."
>hfw
>we have a good laugh
>go shoot my gun and leave with no issues
It's nice having good stores and ranges around here.
>>
>>29801166
Not a range officer story, but kind of similar.

>be at indoor range with automated targets
>bunch of dudes doing weird drills
>they're shooting at the command of some fat old manlet who obviously thinks he's hot shit
>they need the range to go cold and walk up to the targets for some reason
>range goes cold
>they all walk down range to their targets
>me and some other guy walk just beyond the line to get some stray brass
>suddenly the shooting group's commander starts shouting at us, walks over, and chews us out

I still don't get it.
>>
Local range has the general shooting area and a secluded spot for pistol courses.

RO at the general range is an old vet and a bro. The best is when he yells at faggots who don't listen or act like morons. He carries around an oxygen tank in one hand and a megaphone in the other.

The RO for the pistol course area is a Vietnam vet. He's also pretty awesome. He's super chill but can snap into someone if they fuck up. He is very attentive and will offer constructive criticism to help you improve. He's also a good shooter but doesn't take himself too seriously.
>>
Range stories? I don't have much, but:

>Shooting at RSO-free state-owned range
>Moderately-populated with the usual crowd of cool old dudes, full families, and faggots bump-firing AKs at 100 yards
>Faggot settles down next to me with a pistol AK, 100 yards
>He's spraying at nothing one table over
>Load up M38
>Fire
>He stops, hear a muted "Holy shit." through earpro
>Fire again
>He fucks off, completely leaving the range.

I love that little fireball generator.

Another time, with the wife:
>We set up at the same range, wife has AR
>Douchenozzle next to us has a super-rice AR
>He starts bouncing a can downrange, shooting at a paper target about 50 yards down range as quickly as he can manage, ect
>After a while, it becomes clear that he's trying to show off for my wife
>Disgonbegud.jpg
>She empties a few mags at her target
>Later we go check targets while the range is cold
>When we get there, he points to a few fliers on her target
>"What are these? You need to practice!"
>Her target has a half-dollar-sized hole punched in the bullseye, with 2 outside of it
>We look over at his target
>buckshot.jpg
>She laughs, loudly
>Deflated trust fund fag packs up his shit and leaves

Jesus christ, I married the right woman.
>>
I think it's because they've been exposed to so much retardation and autism they just don't give a fuck anymore.
I mean, shit like a kid wearing no eye pro while shooting a full retard ak indoors and his mom not giving a fuck is something that makes your soul die.
>>
Well they have to deal with people doing extremely retarded unsafe shit all the time, so they're constantly on alert level 5
It still doesn't give them the right to be dicks about brass and stuff but there's still a lot of occupational grumpiness
>>
>>29801166
>>At indoor range shooting rifle
I've noticed a big difference between indoor vs outdoor RO's. All the indoor ranges i've been at want to sell your casings for scrap, and won't let you shoot steel cased ammo. All the outdoor ranges I've shot at are administed by the DNR and they couldn't care less how much brass you scoop or if you want to look for slugs on the berm.
>>
>>29802217
>It's a dick move to not allow the ranges to take the brass you paid for
Ok
>>
>>29802868
BTW what are the rules/laws in 'murica concerning shooting on your land?
>>
>>29804013
>mon visage quand
Un frenchfag, salut l'ami
>>
>>29812391
Varies by state and municipality.
Almost all states have laws that makes it some kind of crime to shoot within the limits of an incorporated city.
Most states allow you to shoot on land outside, but if neighbors complain to the cops you can get warned and eventually charged with some kind of breach of the peace,

Generally if you're on private farm or woodlands you can shoot to your heart's content, but there will be some blanket state regulations. For example in Iowa you can't fire a rifle anywhere but a gun range, because the land's so flat people were hitting other people's livestock and houses.
>>
>>29812434
Was repliying to Tina's crush
>>
>>29801634
I love those 'what the fuck' looks you get through the window. When I had my M44 nugget I'd get one every single time. It'd almost be choreographed how everyones head would pop out from behind the walls to their stall to see what just went off.
>>
>>29812434
Stop surrendering so hard
>>
>>29802217
My outdoor range has a rule that you can collect your own brass, but don't be picking up anyone elses unless you ask them and they OK it. I think its a pretty good rule. They also have a rule that says to sweep up your damn brass once you're done shooting.
>>
>>29812463
Ok, thanks
>>
>>29812463
like >>29812391 said but in louisiana as long as the property is at least 5 acres you can shoot wherever and whenever you want.
>>
>be at gun club
>first time at a gun club, haven't shot much before
>shooting uncle's CZ75 in .40S&W
>RSO says its really loud, asks me what ammo it is because rules are no big cartridges or hot loads at the pistol range, doesn't bother visibly checking it
>he was pretty cool

Too bad my social anxiety kicks in when I go anywhere alone otherwise I'd buy my own pistol and shoot regularly.
>>
>>29812480
Nice try, but I'm from (la belle et fiere province du) Québec
>>
>>29803796
Belmont?
>>
>>29801166
I work in a sporting goods store behind the gun counter and I kind of understand the RSO here. People in general are retards. Even in the gun community, there are a lot of retards. Not just "9mm has no killing potential" retards, but "point guns at people intentionally and ask if I'll help them commit felonies on 4473s" retards. No gun I ever handle at work is loaded, and I'd be fired if I held a gun and ammo at the same time, even in the boxes. It's a company with a big risk for lawsuit.

As a result, I and my coworkers have to treat everyone like children, whether the guy is 18 and in a school uniform or he's a in-uniform cop or a 20-year military bet. If something happens, I'd lose my job, they could get arrested, the company could get sued, and the ATF would pay us a visit. In my situation (and probably the RSO's) It's much better to assume everyone is an idiot and enforce safety than to trust them to not fuck up
>>
>>29805224
>>29805287
I dunno, I put it down to retards not respecting guns and gun safety.

Like I'm not saying you "can't" give a 5 year old an smg... BUT be prepared for her to blast a way an instructor with retarded gene in her system.
>>
>>29803573
Hey OP, fellow Cbusfag. Have you been out to Briar Rabbit in Zanesville? I bought a membership last year, now I go shooting during non-public hours and rarely even see another soul. The one RO I've ever seen there laughed at me and my buddy for shooting a repurposedanhole cover then went about his business. It's an hour's drive but totally worth it to be out there alone blasting away whenever you want.

Also did the story in the OP happen at the new Vance's range?
>>
>>29803796
Stittsville?
>>
>>
>>29812669

If ya'll can manage it try for a membership at the Pickaway County Sportsmans Club.

Closed membership, have to be sponsored by a member to join, capped membership. The open applications in December and January every year. They host public CMP and IPSC and 3gun type shit, so that would be your chance to meet and great some one if you are socially proficient.

For $150 a year it's fucking heaven on earth.

And there's a bunch of Eagle Projects there.
>>
File: image_0.gif (371 KB, 200x113) Image search: [Google]
image_0.gif
371 KB, 200x113
>>29801166
Because we don't have time not the patience to deal with faggy children like OP
>>
>>29803796
>can't go near guns while range is cold, must pickup brass while range is hot
I've only been to two outdoor ranges and both worked like this. I never had a problem scooping the brass in my area either. Do you just like bitching about stuff?
>>
>>29813045
Sounds rad, my brother loves about 5 minutes from there. I'll have to check it out. We used to shoot on his land but it's getting a lot less rural around there lately
>>
>>29813400

If you got land out that way that is outside city limits and a good backstop, I wouldn't sweat it.
>>
File: Tina_render.png (73 KB, 318x560) Image search: [Google]
Tina_render.png
73 KB, 318x560
>>29803784
Butts...
>>
>>29801166
You guys have seriously bad luck, or you are doing something else that you don't realize.
>or most of you are just lying out of your asses

That only time I've ever had any encounter with an RO was when I flagged one down to help me out with a rental Ruger 22-45, (was looking into getting one and figured I'd try it out while I was there), that was not properly striking any of the rounds chambered, no matter what. He came over, I explained what the issue was, he thanked me for clearing it and keeping it pointed down range when I handed it off to him, and he then proceeded to do a basic trouble shoot on it. (Eventually the rounds started going off when he would fire it, and we came to the conclusion that there must have been something stuck in the action that worked it's way out). After that he handed me back the pistol, I thanked him and that was that.
>INB4 RO anon
>>
>>29812669
OP here, Actually didn't happen in Cbus, happened at a range in youngstown called "The training range", its a somewhat new range so I don't even think they have had their fill of retards yet, so I don't even know why the RSO had the attitude.

You ever go to LEPD? That's the one with their frangible rounds only rules, their reviews on google are decently funny because they comment back on every review.

I've wanted to do Briar Rabbit, but I had thought they closed out membership for the year?
>>
File: 1453221081227.png (264 KB, 1768x1543) Image search: [Google]
1453221081227.png
264 KB, 1768x1543
>>29801166
The indoor range I went to a couple of weeks ago was decent, but had one rule I had to ask the staff about.
>looking through range rules
>no AP, no tracers
>understandable because indoor
>no .50BMG
>asked guy at counter about that one, he says the shockwave can shatter their light bulbs
>lolwut
>allegedly people have shot .50BMG rifles on the range before and shattered light bulbs
>apparently their target carriers can't take a .50 round
>target carrier on my lane is covered in dents from previous hits
>mfw
>>
>>29813404
Last time we were shooting this neighbor dickhead rolled up in an ATV and started yelling that we shot his barn, trying to get us to pay him for the damage. Looking at Google maps there's no way that his barn was in our line of fire, plus it's a half mile uphill and to the north and we were shooting 9mm down into a dirt berm with a creek bed behind it. Dude is known to be shady, we figured it wasn't worth the potential trouble
>>
>>29801198
This.

Should have told the RSO to go fuck himself.
>>
>>29813669
Yeah I go to LEPD just because it's the closest indoor range. They're alright. I always pick up like half the brass in the bay (after asking the other shooters of it's cool) and they've never said a word about it. I wish I could find a nearby indoor range where I could set up a chronograph... Sucks to drive all the way out of town just to do load development.

Not sure about membership closing out for the year at Briar. I'm telling you though, there's nothing like driving out there on a Wednesday and shooting steel in the pistol bays and the 400-yard rifle range all day and not seeing a damn soul

>inb4 shill
>>
>>29803185
>>29803234
>>29803273
This
>sheriff is family friend
>County commissioner is a friend of my mother's from high school
>friends dad is a team leader on city swat
>dad's friend is chairman of the city council and will he running for mayor soon
>co workers are reserve police officers
My neighbors hate me since I put a range in my back yard (I live outside the city so it's legal) but they are cali transplants and can go fucking die

Living in a small town is the best.
>>
>>29812579
>let's reference an isolated incident that has no bearing on the subject of the post you're replying to
>>
>>29801201
>I've seen Pajeets posing with a loaded rental AK pointed at their son's head at a range
Goddam FOB's making us look worse. They're bound to do that stuff as most places they're coming from in India(can't speak for Pakistan but prob looser) don't have the freedom of funs that we have here. So they go full Bollywood 'hero' mode when they get here and are allowed such free access.
>>
>>29812503
>belle et fiere province du Québec
Ouf, mes condoléances mon pauvre.
>>
>>29813505
>>29803784
I was more imagining this and getting pretty hard.

Tina is my fetish
>>
>>29802965

> rational response
> will immediately be hated
>>
>>29813108
I'm fine with picking up brass right around me but I'm not going into other lanes and interrupting other shooters to get it.
>>
>>29803344
Underrated post
>>
>>29803594
LEPD on Bethel?
>>
>>29815449
Not him but yep
>>
>>29815299
doesn't your range have those screens you can put in place on either side to contain brass or shield you from it? Do they seriously hold you accountable for all of the brass produced by you instead of just whats in your area?
>>
>>29801479
Enjoy your lead poisoning retard
>>
I've never been to an indoor range let alone any range with some idiot yell man, but I've heard stories from my friends about these types of people getting mad at them for shooting too fast and shit. I always wonder why anyone would go to an indoor range like that.
>>
>>29802829
I know this is a long shot, but do you happen to be talking about a public range in Florida?
>>
>>29803985
>7 yards
>despite shooting faster and further
are they shooting at their feet?
>>
>>29802829
>dentist for 20 years

Babin?
>>
>>29801166
I'm an RSO and a gunstore employee. I'll let you know that 90% of us are disgruntled because we get tired of saying the same shit over and over ad nauseum. This guy though sounds like he was just being a dick to be a dick. Either that or her is a hard and fast rules guy, once you break them for one person where does it stop? I would have gone out and got the guy who told you it was OK and that would have been the end of it.
>>
>>29803173
Vandalia range and armory is a bunch of jackasses. I'm not a fan of Doug and I've heard a majority of his ROSs can be dicks. They're not getting my business, I'll stick to spring valley for my shooting and fox's for my guns.
>>
File: Bqm1DsECYAA8Q3q.jpg (46 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Bqm1DsECYAA8Q3q.jpg
46 KB, 600x600
>>29815449
The one on Bethel yep, I've noticed if you go there on weekday early afternoons/mornings. The staff is decently based.
>Buy 30 min of range time
>Shoot for almost 50 min
>Leave because realize it's been that long
>No range officer inside, only watching via camera.

Although they have pictures on their wall of still shots of their CCTV of arresting people. Both pics were black people, one group for shooting with a paint can suppressor. The other for shooting steel core and fucking up their backwall if I remember right.

Their prices on most things though are mad steep. 325 round bricks of federal for $40 (can get at Gander for like $22), $25+ for .357, $15 for 9mm, $20+ for .380.
Although range time is decently cheap compared to other ranges in Columbus. Their transfer fee is like $35 though, Idk who pays that since I can drive maybe 7 min and go to a $15 transfer place. And their NIB guns are $100+ than anywhere online.
>>
File: cruise.jpg (23 KB, 282x282) Image search: [Google]
cruise.jpg
23 KB, 282x282
>>29818777

Fuckin' Danny B knows how to live.
>>
>>29801479
Enjoy lead poisoning dipshit.

You have to be trolling at this point.
>>
>>29817858
Meh, they've mostly been nice to me. The new point blank gun range by the Dayton Mall is mostly very friendly too.
>>
>>29817390
>>29819296
People have taken in much more lead than what little bit would get onto a water bottle without any health issues. I guess I have to remember that this board is filled with mouthbreathing basement dwellers with the physical strength of a holocaust survivor and the physique of a human sized pear, so of course they would assume everyone else is as physically useless as they are.
>>
ok /k/ let me know how badly I fucked up
>be me
>have qt gf
>gf's friend goes through a bad breakup
>going to indoor shooting range in a few days, tell gf she can invite friend as long as she promises not to kill herself with my gun
>go to range with AR and a few pistols and ask for a rifle range since we have the ar
>to reiterate this is an indoor range
> shoot a bit of ar, girls don't like it so we switch to pistols on rifle range
>RO comes storming in and yells at us to stop, and that we're putting ourselves in danger because 9mm can bounce off the back of the rifle range
> apologize
end
>>
>>29812467

Never fails with the M44. Between the THUD you feel in your chest and the giant fucking fireball, it will turn heads. Now and again I'll offer to let people shoot it. Last time it was this little gay dude on a date with his boyfriend, and he fired it and turned around and said "that is the greatest thing I have ever done in my life."
>>
>>29819717

Naw, that just don't happen
>>
>>29819717
You should have shot him.
>>
>>29803173
>RSO grabs my wrist and twists the gun upwards, no injury or pain or anything but he grabbed me.
Yeah...cops would be called.
>>
>>29819800
ok I figured as much I just didn't want to be publicly cucked in case I was wrong
>>29819810
hindsight is 20/20
>>
File: 1znmnwn.png (117 KB, 438x357) Image search: [Google]
1znmnwn.png
117 KB, 438x357
>>29801166
Most gun range owners and workers have lead poising that is extensive enough to affect their personality
>>
>>29801166
It doesn't matter who says what, you paid for that brass. If it lands in a place where you can get it without interrupting the firing rotation then you have claim until you leave, or it is no longer clear whose is whose. If they want to keep it they can build a trap.
>>
>>29817221
No, its seriously just concrete tables with a stool and a Ramada, no lane dividers or anything.
>>
>>29819717
>bounce off the back of the rifle range
Mild to moderate bullshit. Bounce off the back of the range? No. Be significantly less likely to end up where the shooter intends, and thus more likely to ricochet off the floor, cieling, whatever? Maybe. Not an unreasonable statement. Depends how long the range is. I've had no issue with a Sig P229 .40 on an outdoor range at 50 yards, but indoor ranges have to be more safety concious.
>>
>>29803796
Never hada problem wih people picking up their brass somewhat near me. The only problem I'd have is someone picking up btass directly undet me. Autist detected.
>>
>>29812502
Just do it! Nobody gives a fuck. Don't give a fuck what people think. Just fucking do it!
>>
>>29818777
It's owned by a bunch of cops, I'm surprised they don't arrest more people there
>>
Bumpity bump
>>
File: photo2-1.jpg (248 KB, 968x1296) Image search: [Google]
photo2-1.jpg
248 KB, 968x1296
>be Airshit milsimmer living in California
>own no funs cause fuck California (going to move to a better state soon)
>don't have intimate knowledge with actual guns and their operations
>have really intimate knowledge of accessories, rail kits, stocks, Lasers and flashlights cause I only buy the real thing for my toys
>go to a range in Texas with a buddy
>get chatting with RSO
>start talking about elcans
>RSO wants to buy a Spectre DR for that special forces meme build M4
>start explaining to him it's a waste of money to buy that shit optic
>fucking hate the Elcan eye relief
>eye relief when set to 1x is unbelievably bad
>explain if he wants the Elcan he should buy an OS4 as you can get them for basically half the price
>no 1x throw lever but nobody uses that shit since using a 1x optic with ACOG tier eye relief is just trash
>every SpectreDR has a red dot on top anyways
>advise RSO to get the OS and use the money he saves to buy a Trijicon RMR and mount it on top
>he is still saving money
>RSO asks me what guns I own
>reply I don't own any and I'm a guest today
>confusedface.jpg
>end up spending the next 30 minutes talking about aimpoints vs EOtechs, flashlights, night vision, all the other shit

Feels good
>>
I once had an RSO at a public range notorious for idiots, no bullshit, start shooting at anime targets that looked like he traced them himself.

That's pretty much the weirdest thing I've seen, not very unsafe just at a public range I like the RSO to pay attention.
>>
>>29819607
>>29819296
I drink water while I scrape lead paint off of walls.
>>
>>29801238
Sounds like you take out your frustrations inappropriately on strangers that are paying you for a service.

It isn't their fault that you made shit decisions in life and got stuck changing oil and replacing brake pads.
>>
>>29819810
It's ok. It's only 9mm.
>>
>>29812491
That's neat
>>
>>29815196
Je sais, je me casse dès que je peux
>>
>>29823174
Hey, airsoft can help.
>>
>>29801238
Same thing with IT.

"My brand new computer is TOO SLOW!"

"You have, no kidding, a hundred browser instances open."

"I need them!"
>>
>>29801166
Ive never shot at a range like this, where the fuck do you people live
>>
>>29823696
A legit mechanic is a good job.
>>
>>29824237
"Can't you set it up so that when I start the internet it opens all of my favorites automatically?"

Fucking why?
>>
Columbus fag here. Shot at LEPD once for my CC class. Was ok. Kind of disliked the general vibe. Buckeye Valley or whatever in Lancaster used to be a good spot but its kind of a haul for an indoor. Vance in Obetz is always super busy and very expensive to shoot, so I never go. The prime spot is Deer Creek about 15-20 min south of Grove City. Its a state outdoor range so its very cheap and very accommodating. I use old political yard signs with targets stuck on them. I always get compliments on them.
>>
Central Ohio here. Why aren't you going to based Dillon shooting range or briar rabbit? They are about 45 minutes from Columbus. You need to realize that indoor ranges suck.
>>
>>29824521
Get down to choking it faster
>>
File: frankcrown.jpg (28 KB, 720x412) Image search: [Google]
frankcrown.jpg
28 KB, 720x412
>tfw I own enough land that I have an almost hickok-tier range in my back yard
>>
>>29824712
I heard they shut Deer Creek down because they found some fired bullets past the berm?

I went to Vance's I'm Obetz once. It was expensive and the counter guy was an off-duty sherriff who still felt the need to have his badge on his belt and was barking orders at the counter employees and being rude to customers. Made me not want to give them any money. The RO in the bay I was in was bro-tier though. He asked if he could see my P7 so I let him put a couple mags through it. I went about shooting and when I was done he had swept up ALL the brass in the bay and gave it to me
>>
>>29825133
If they did it was recently, I've been there a few times in the past couple of months.
Right now I need to figure out what the best range to in the Dublin/Marysville area is since I'll be moving there in about a year for work.
>>
File: 1461582526769-tg.jpg (41 KB, 497x426) Image search: [Google]
1461582526769-tg.jpg
41 KB, 497x426
>>29812531
This explains a lot. I was wondering why everyone talked to me like I was a puppy.

I'll be extra curtious to you and your kind, even if you treat me like a window licker.
>>
>be 19
>summer 1980
>walk into gun shop in in bum fuck no where arizona, its literally a gun shop, a gas station, a shitty food place, and a motel.
>get off my motorcycle
>walk into the gun shop
>guy behind counter says "the fuck can i do ya for"
>"hey mate just visiting the states and wanted to see some cool stuff"
>"oh man i got the fucking shit right here boy i bet you aint never seen nothin like this in england yeehaw"
>walks out from behind counter
>open sign goes to close sign
>goes back behind counter and brings out full auto m60
>"cmon cowboy ill show you why its best to be american"
>walk out the back, american flags literally EVERYWHERE, every 5 to 10 feet
>giant berm about 200 ft in distance
>spend rest of day shooting the shit and firing various random ass old guns
>later that night his wife comes home with their kids and i eat glorious american bbq (first time trying it btw, now i get it whenever i can
>i miss the 80s...
>i miss america
Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.