[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a maintenance plan for guns, generally? I bought a rifle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1384058602834.jpg (231 KB, 1023x678) Image search: [Google]
1384058602834.jpg
231 KB, 1023x678
Is there a maintenance plan for guns, generally? I bought a rifle a few weeks ago and noticed that there wasn't a maintenance plan in the manual the way I need to maintain my car. My car says I need to maintain it once every six months or 12,500 miles, whichever comes first. What about my gun? Do I have to take it to a gunsmith every, let's say, 10,000 rounds fired or six months?
>>
Shoot it, clean it, lube it. If something breaks or stops functioning reliably, fix it.
>>
>>29800711
Pretty much this. If you're very anal about performance, look up the parts and check how often they need to be replaced.
>>
>>29800711

/thread
>>
>>29800701
Why is there a sudden influx of retards who don't understand the simple concept of Google?
>>
>>29800823
I bet if you google it you'll come up with a bunch of mallninjas trying to sell you shit and arfcom nu-fudds arguing about hypothetical specifics that will only happen to the hardest of oper8ers.

Believe it or not, /k/ can actually give you some good technical info if you can wade through tripfag wars and shitposting, and it's fast paced enough to get an answer without waiting forever.
>>
>>29800701
Unfortunately, there really isn't, but you can find information about the expected spring life if you do a little research or maybe make a call to the manufacturer. The majority of the parts on your gun will last "forever," but the springs are the main thing that will wear out. If you don't rely on the gun for protection, then it's fine to wait until the gun starts malfunctioning.

With handguns, often they will either malfunction when the recoil spring or magazine spring starts to wear out, or else maybe you'll experience a lot more recoil than expected. I think it's probably the same with semi-auto rifles. I try to replace recoil springs every 3000 rounds, and magazine springs would be the same, except since I might be cycling between five magazines, they'd last five times longer in time to get the same round count.

If you want to just to preventative maintenance and you shoot a lot, then just replace all your springs once a year. It's something you can do yourself, and you don't need to bring your gun into a gunsmith. Gunsmiths are not like car mechanics. Guns are extremely simple, mechanically, and there is no excuse why you shouldn't be able to do a simple recoil spring swap on your own.

>>29800711
No. Not this. Preventative maintenance is a thing with guns, as with anything else.

>>29800823
Great post. You sure showed him!
>>
>>29800701
It varies by gun.

http://bhspringsolutions.com/content/49-5-years-or-5000-rounds
>>
>>29800701
Guns are made to be as easy to repair as possible so even a GED-level retard can do it. Cars, on the other hand, are designed so it's easier for the average person to take it to a dealer to fix.
>>
File: XbIvBXl.gif (274 KB, 250x473) Image search: [Google]
XbIvBXl.gif
274 KB, 250x473
>>29800701
grease. the red or blue kind.

and swab the barrel. das it mane
>>
>>29800864
>No. Not this. Preventative maintenance is a thing with guns, as with anything else.
Most people shoot their guns the equivalent of driving a car a couple thousand miles. If you shoot enough to be breaking parts and wearing out springs, you already know what you need to take care of or what to replace.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.