[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, been looking to buy a pistol for self protection, I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: download (1).jpg (11 KB, 280x180) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
11 KB, 280x180
Hey /k/, been looking to buy a pistol for self protection, I a, a bartender and the owner refuses to put a wep behind the counter. I was told either a Glock, SiG, or Kimber. Thoughts?
>>
>>29793197
>Glock, SiG, or Kimber

Yes, yes, and fuck no
>>
Go to the range and rent one that suits your fancy. Pick a caliber you like and try it out. Personally, Im a Sig guy but Glock will do. As will XDs or Revolvers even, just personal preference man, they will all kill someone dead if you need to
>>
Glock in .40 mah nigga
>>
>>29794149
Don't do this.
>>
>>29794165
B E S T of both worlds. Power of .45 with capacity of 9
E
S
T
>>
>>29794215
>Power of .45 with capacity of 9
Have you not heard of Federal HST 9mm 147gr +P?
>>
>>29793197
Look into
>M&P Shield
>Glock 43
>Ruger LCP Custom
>Walther PPS
>>
>>29793197
Check out compact double stacks in 9mm from glock, sig Sauer, cz, s&w, and FN and ruger. They're all Bretty good, just pick whatever you like and load it with federal HST and don't cheap out on a holster.

For the lazy
Glock 19
Sig 320 compact
Cz p07
FN s9c
Ruger sr9c
S&w m&p9c
>>
>>29793197
>>29794366
Very solid list. To add one more on, the sig p320 has the carry model which has the same size slide as the compact but the same capacity as the full size model. The compact is nice too, but if you've got bigger hands you may want to try the carry. It also can normally be purchased for less than the compact.
>>
>>29794407
I really don't get the point of the carry model. The only thing smaller about it is the slide which is the most easily concealed part of a pistol if you carry iwb like most people do.
>>
>>29794486
I agree. Its namely the grip that pokes out first and foremost unless you fiddle with the cant and placement.
>>
>>29793197
FNS-9

Take it from a learned purchaser. Get the cheaper .40 if you decide on a .40
>>
>>29794366
And a good belt will makes things good as well.
With your average store belt, you would have to overtighten it to make it stay on, unless your gun is wildly light.
>>
>>29793197
Don't leave the weapon under the counter.
Get a pocket 380 (LCP, Bodyguard, etc.) nobody will notice it, and with a Desantis pocket holster, nobody will ever see it .
Load that bitch up with hornandy critical defense, and call it a day.
>>
File: 1434404020645.png (243 KB, 599x372) Image search: [Google]
1434404020645.png
243 KB, 599x372
>>29793197
Go rent and shoot or at least hold guns.

Forget everything you think you know so youre completely unbiased by others opinions and what you think is cool. The most important factor in choosimg handguns is the fit to the shooter. Get whatever you shoot best or barring being able to shoot get what feels best and practice practice practice.

YOU ARE TAKING A MASSIVE RESPONSIBILITY BY OWNING A GUN AND A BIGGER ONE PREPARING TO USE ONE IN PUBLIC.

Think for a second how youd feel running over someone because you were texting and driving. This is like getting behind a wheel but more weight.

So choose your ammo wisely and become the best shot you can before you start arming yourself in public.

For a first time shooter I really reccomend learning the basics on something small like a .22 .32 or .380 because recoil builds bad habits in new shooters. Then buying a 9mm or .40 as your fighting gun as theyre fairly mid powered calibers. If this is just not practical go ahead and learn on a mid size caliber you wont be slowed down much.

If you know a good shooter get them to teach you and just shut up and do it their way. Eventually youll be good enough to start intelligently experimenting on your own.

Good luck I hope you win if you gotta pop them thangz
>>
>>29794165
>>29794241

>recommending supersonic shit indoors

Enjoy your EEEEEEEE

40 gets you subsonic suppressable 180gr at half the price of subsonic 9mm, which means more training which means more competence.
>>
Yeah you need to keep the weapon on your body if you were under the impression that you could just leave it behind the counter.

>>29794540

Tru dat. I like wilderness tactical for synthetic and belt man for leather carry belts. Normal belts won't be stiff or wide enough to evenly distribute the weight around the body if you start carrying iwb.

For holsters google Dara, theis, or jm custom to look at some options.
>>
Wtf are you talking about?
Every 147 gr 9mm is sub sonic.
>>
File: k approved 9 mm.jpg (1 MB, 2500x2267) Image search: [Google]
k approved 9 mm.jpg
1 MB, 2500x2267
>>29793197

Lots of good choices, I'd recommend 9mm or .45 ACP unless you want a pocket pistol.

Glocks are reliable; but ugly.
Sigs are nice; but pricey.

Kimber's are overrated, you can get a better gun for the price.
>>
>>29794774
Lol if only kimber took some of their marketing money and put it into quality control.
>>
>>29794718
You're right, I was reading an extra + on there.

They're pretty close then.
ballistics101 com/9mm.php

360ft-lb vs 408 for 40 isn't a big deal.

Some folks have issues with feeding.
(theroadthatishigh that 4chan thinks is spam) org/archive/index.php/t-477440 (dot) html
So thoroughly test whatever you get OP.
>>
>>29794774
>fullsize

fuck off with your out of context reddit infographs
>>
>>29794506
>>29794486
I purchased it mainly because I like the easy compatibility with the compact's grip, while still giving me the ability to use full capacity magazines. The size of the grip is admittedly hard to conceal depending on your size. I can conceal it iwb just fine but I'm 6'4 and 200 pounds. Everyone's got different preferences. Figured I'd at least suggest looking at it.
>>
>>29795031
Oh yeah I think gun is fine its just that Sig's design team confuses me with how they're marketing one model as a carry when it's not any more conceal able than the full size.
>>
>>29793215
This however, can you have a weapon at work?
If it's against the rules get a S&W Shield if you really feel you need one. They conceal much easier and are more comfy. A gun you could put in your pocket would be most ideal, like a .357 and holster that won't imprint.

Most importantly, practice practice and practice.
>>
File: 1438594741363.jpg (202 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
1438594741363.jpg
202 KB, 1024x682
>>29795358
You want a well balanced conceal carry gun?

We got you fham
>>
>>29793197
Is it autistic of me that "self protection" bugs me. I'm my head I'm going self defence or personal protection.
>>
>>29793197
if you going to be around alot of drunks that might think it would be funny to take it if they saw it.

Get something with a manual safety. so not a glock.
>>
>>29795358
Ah, I misunderstood. Yeah I don't get the name either, I think they went for a middle ground of the compact and full-sized, but the overall execution could have been better.
>>
OP here, thanks fore all the replies...er, I spend most of my time on /b/ and we are called /b/ros, so do I call you guys /k/unts or something clever like that? Idk, I wil ldefiently go find a range and try some stuff out.
>>
>>29795866
thanks man
>>
>>29793197
>a Glock, SiG, or Kimber
One of these things is not like the others....
>a Corvette, Mustang, or Prius
>>
Sig P229
or Glock 19

Pick one and it won't fail you and it works for OC or CC
>>
>>29796411
>thanks man

I was being sarcastic, that gun sucks.
>>
>>29796269
Lurk more.
>>
>>29796462
thanks man
>>
>>29796462
fuck
>>
>>29796269
the most common is /k/ommandos but anything derogatory or sarcastic is fine.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.