[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AIM Surplus has been hacked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: aimfb_400x400.gif.png (38 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
aimfb_400x400.gif.png
38 KB, 400x400
Different firearms message boards all over report users getting snail mail letters from AIM saying they have been hacked and offering a year of free credit monitoring.

How screwed are you /k/?
>>
I got a letter in the mail from them today about this.
>>
>>29793020
This isn't really a big deal.
>>
>>29793020
>Credit monitoring
Why? They don't have your social. Just replace your CC and be done with it.
>>
>>29793535

Actually, according to the letter, the breach was the storage of FFL and drivers licences or other IDs for age verification.

Not the credit information.
>>
this only applies to people with FFLs and live in commie states.

I just bought a FN High Power from them and I live in Georgia. So the only thing they got from my order was my gun store's FFL information and my payment info.
>>
>>29793551
So this doesn't effect anyone who isn't an FFL? I bought a gun from them and never gave them any ID or social. 4473s don't get sent back to AIM so I don't see the issue.

Sounds like a lot of hubbub for nothing desu.
>>
>>29793572

I'll scan the letter when I'm home.
>>
>>29793020
Someone made a point, how do we know this is actually AimSurplus sending the letters?
>>
>>29793572
theey had me send them a copy of my DL to buy rifle ammo a while back, to prove I was 21.
Never bought from them again because SGAmmo is a thing
>>
>>29793638
That'd be cool.

Still not seeing the issue for Tx, You don't need to fill out your social on a 4473 anyway.

I've never bought ammo from them as proof of age is a cuck thing to require imo.
>>
OPM already made sure my Info was stolen.
>>
>>29793649
I just read somewhere else that any mention of this on their facebook is getting scrubbed. If this did happen to them, that's not the fucking way to get people's trust back.

True of false, they better get in front of this with an email blast to everyone or a banner on the site.
>>
File: aimletter.png (3 MB, 1677x2165) Image search: [Google]
aimletter.png
3 MB, 1677x2165
Here's the letter. The back is direction on how to enroll in the protectmyID service if you want to.

There's a second page that explains how to conduct an annual credit report from the three credit companies and how to contact the FTC if necessary.
>>
>>29793891
Thanks, anon.

It's weird the return address in PA when they are based in Ohio.
>>
>>29793572
Even as an FFL, there isn't much danger in terms for fraud, since stuff can only be sent to the address listed and most FFLs confirm licenses with ATF prior to shipping anyway.

If anything it's a breech of 03 FFL addresses (Addresses list on IDs and DLs too I suppose), since those are not available to the public, but there are sites that list them for all to see and no one says anything about it (classic does)

>>29794004
Maybe it's the PO box for the security company they're using.

People have mentioned elsewhere that AIM isn't publicy commenting through social media probably becuase either their lawyers, the security company, or the cops are telling them not to.

Aim has generally proved to be a non asshole company, even if some of their policies are dumb (In addition to the ammo thing, living in CA, the refuse to send some legal stuff over). Seeing as this just broke and they are informing past customers and warning current customers (on their up load page) about the issue, I'd wait to see what happens before just flat out shitting on them right away.
>>
>requires and stores information not required by law

>stores said information with no encryption or security

>waits 26 days to notify people their identity may be stolen

> deletes any mention and goes silent on issue

Ladies and gentlemen AIM surplus.
>>
>>29793020
>snail mail
In this day and age?
>>
>>29794097
It's probably to show that "we aren't risking your identity via email" or some such excuses. Or maybe it's their security outfit finding ways to nickel and dime them.
>>
>>29794120
Or maybe a load of shit. I dunno just seems fishy to me.
>>
>>29794147
load of shit buy AIM or load of shit by scammer?

Either of them means they were hacked and out shit compromised anyway.
>>
>Illinois resident
>Need FOID and DL for ammo

Pretty screwed I bet.
>>
I got a letter.

my photo id and FFl are expired and have wrong address.

I am going to get a new DL number on monday.
>>
>>29794183
The latter and also good point.
Has anyone called their customer service to confirm?
>>
This is just the first step.

some one is hacking all the online gun companies.

they are getting address and names.

expect more gun thefts , or ( and i am not saying they are) if it is gov related, their making their list ,and coming for us Ghost Gunners and people who have guns but didnt need to do a 4473.

My money is on this being funded by Bloomberg.

He funds the hack , guns get stolen from people, more gun crime. Everytown pushes new agenda. ( guns are safe in your home they get stolen if if you have a safe, and alarm, and insurance, your still killing our babies)
>>
>>29794120
By law, they must contact you within 30 days , by mail, if identifying information has been stolen
>>
>>29794233
Plausible but also tinfoil.
>>
File: IMAG0181.jpg (117 KB, 1076x608) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0181.jpg
117 KB, 1076x608
I just got mine right now.

Not the first time I've received news of my info being stolen.
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 640x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 640x395
Just got my letter today.

In all honesty, my credit score is already nonexistent. I'd rather get a 10% off coupon instead.
>>
I used them years ago... so just order a new DL?
>>
>>29794253
This is Ohio state law BTW, there is no federal law require notification ( unless your a data broker and then it is required by HIPPA , SEC , and FTC )

But 47 states have some kind of duty to notify law, and so, most companies do so
>>
>>29794272
and every one saide Clinton wasnt keeping a personal server.
>>
>>29793020
Not sure but I believe aimsurplus has an option to "NOT STORE CREDIT CARD INFO FOR NEXT TIME".

Because I don't store my CC info on 2-bit websites.
>>
>>29794097
Legal requirements and general ass covering.
>>
>>29794364
Their CC data wasn't compromised, it's the image upload server that stores all the licenses.
>>
>>29794053

>Even as an FFL, there isn't much danger in terms for fraud, since stuff can only be sent to the address listed and most FFLs confirm licenses with ATF prior to shipping anyway.

Its not like anyone on 4Chan is an expert with Photoshop, ne?

>If anything it's a breech of 03 FFL addresses (Addresses list on IDs and DLs too I suppose), since those are not available to the public, but there are sites that list them for all to see and no one says anything about it (classic does)

Great, so now instead of stealing identies, they can go right to a cruffler's house and steal their guns.
>>
>>29793689

this. the fucking government is the worst offender with identity theft.
>>
>>29795165

So it's just like the newspaper in some areas.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/25/us/new-york-gun-permit-map/
>>
>>29795165
And how does photoshop bypass the ATF online or phone check exactly? Anyone who doesn't check check if the licnese is valid prior to shipment is a dumbass.

And while theft is a possibility, it's very unlikely. There has only been a few theft on the NY license leak, and even in those cases it was just speculated to be from the leak since due to the time frame. There are plenty of easier, and leagl, ways to find out who owns a gun.
>>
>>29793551
>Living in a place where you need an FFL to buy online ammo
>>
>>29795797

Is that a thing?
>>
>>29795848
No. AIM uses the same system for 03 FFLs to upload license when they buy guns.
>>
>>29795848
>>29795885
Ask FOID states if its a thing

Also

>Buying a surplus gun
>Sight unseen
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.