[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Firearms Kits General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 700x468) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 700x468
I have a question for the people here who have experience assembling firearms kits.

What tools do I need to get started on putting guns together in my garage.

I don't care about kits to save money, I'm just doing it as something to do with my dad.

We already have a plethora of carpentry tools, but I know most of them can't be used for metal.

Also this is going to be a regular thread so I'll start calling it Firearm kit general, or something similar.
>>
>>29790342
Here's what I've learned from making a few parts kit builds. I haven't done an AK yet.

>FAL parts kit
Requires a solid vice, a torque wrench, barrel vice, action wrench for the receiver, headspace gauges, timing rods for the barrel/receiver timing (or a good eye or two), and pin gauges for headspacing.

>1911 parts kit
Only requires a file set really. It's really fucking easy to put together from a kit.

>AR15 parts kit
Requires an AR15 action wrench, something to hold down the receiver while you torque the barrel on it, and a good eye or two. I literally sat on the receiver and torqued the barrel on it's that easy. It doesn't need an absurd amount of torque to be safe unlike the FAL.

Most men should have basic tools: hammer, hole punch set, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, breaker bar, ratchets, sockets, etc.
>>
>>29790438
Recommendations on a 1911 kit?
>>
I'm interested as well.Want to make a sten at some point.
>>
>>29790523
Beginning work on mine tomorrow. Got a vertical feed/horizontal ejection kit I wanna try out.

Gonna try to figure out if I cant rig up a slide-fire stock for it.
>>
>>29790342
Fuck off. We don't need another shitty general
>>
>>29790630
this.
idealy the mods would delete all general threads, ban all military posters.
>>
>>29790630
>unironically angry about people being interested in resurrecting demilled milsurp
>on /k/

This is new and exciting.
>>
>>29790582
>slide fire Sten
This shouldn't make me boner. But it does.
>>
>>29790681
That isn't the problem. We don't need a constant thread about it to encourage more tripfags and circlejerking.
>>
>>29790438
Thanks for the info, we have most of these tools lying around

My dad is a carpenter and I do plumbing. So I'd imagine that what I don't have of this list, he probably has.
>>
>>29790694
Well I'll be sure to post a thread.

I cant bring myself to spend 5 grand on a wore out transferrable sten that cost $15 to make. So im going to get me a 500-600 RPM rate of fire for all of about $300 bucks.

I know, its not going to as controllable as the real thing, but im saving like, $4,700.

Of note, I already had a pile of parts laying around and I'm fabricating some of my own so I saved a lot of money. Im estimating between parts prices and shipping costs it would run between 600 to 750 to do it if I didnt already have a bunch of the parts.

Traded a wore out sears .30-.30 carbine for a bunch of sten parts 5 years ago, been procrastinating on the build ever since.
>>
>>29790712
This.
Generals fuck the fuck off
>>
>>29790712
pretty much this
there's a reason other boards ban the word "general" in the title
the subject isn't bad, but it shouldn't be a permanent fixture- nothing should be
>>
>>29790712
>>29790780
>>29790781
Okay, I see where yall are coming from.

Now that I think about it, AK generals and AR generals have just devolved into Neets swapping lewd-ish loli art and whining about how they will never have any friends.
>>
File: Candy!.jpg (55 KB, 598x701) Image search: [Google]
Candy!.jpg
55 KB, 598x701
>>29790656
ok nogunz fag how about we ban everyone but you because you obviously know more than we every could about salt rifles and "modern warfare" go ahead show use your seal card
>>
>>29790815
There are 17 god damned generals in the catalog right now.
4chan is more Reddit than it will ever admit.
>>
>>29790342
has anyone made a lmg build like a bren dp28 or even a fucking 1919 or m2
>>
>>29790838
if you want random bullshit go to /b/ i like always having sexy guns and half retarded advice siting around
>>
File: M92 Front Clean.png (1 MB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
M92 Front Clean.png
1 MB, 1000x667
For AKs you should have a good solid drill press, and be ready to replace bits every receiver or so as it's just easier and better than trying to sharpen them.

There are a bunch of tool available now that make a hydraulic press unnecessary for pressing/head-spacing barrels, and in some ways they are actually preferable since they allow you more control over how far the barrel goes into the trunnion while head-spacing.

Look into Toth AK building tools, as they are a good low cost alternative to the AK-Builder tools (which are great btw). They also make jaws and jigs for pressing and forming rivets (ALWAY DO RIVETS DON'T DO FUCKING HALF-ASSED SCREW BUILDS)

Also there's a guy named Robert Forbus ( http://robertforbus.com ) that makes to quality, reasonably priced specialty AK tools. They will make your life easier.

Of course Go/No-Go gauges for the caliber you want to work on, and a welder is handy for fixing fuck-ups, but if you're careful, you can avoid that nonsense (I wasn't so I learned how to do a little welding).

So long as you take care of your tools you can usually sell them off once you get done building the AKs you want, but understand you will become addicted. I just wanted to build a couple, and now I've got 6 and 2 kits waiting to be worked on.

All of that plus a good set of files, a couple of reamers, and good measuring equipment should get you set.

Pic is my most recent finished build (after the stamp arrived).
>>
>>29790856
>if you want random bullshit go to /b/
Um no, how about get rid of the fucking generalfags.
>>
>>29790856
Why do you need generals for that?
>>
>>29790858
how about some galil resources? are the tools interchangeable?
>>
File: 88.png (2 MB, 1500x913) Image search: [Google]
88.png
2 MB, 1500x913
>>29790892

As far as I know they are pretty similar, so I think if you can build a milled AK they you should be able to use the same tools to build a Galil. Based on the info I've read it looks like milled receiver AK pattern guns are easier to build than the stamped receivers since your front and rear trunnion are integrated into the receiver (so no riveting).

Galil barrels are threaded into the receiver I believe so head-spacing could be tricky, but it may even be easier than pressing in a barrel. I've never done one so I don't know for sure.
>>
i plan on building a lower and buying an assembled upper.

what tools do i need(probably have them all just want to check)

also is PSA the best place to get assembled uppers and parts kits?

how good are 4th of july sales? worth waiting for? or just buy now? i know i can't wait till black friday because hillary will be pres by then.
>>
>>29790630
You are disgusting.

>not liking homemade funs
>not approving dad and son fun time
>gtfo
>>
>>29791090
Jig, vice, AR wrench.
>>
Necro bump. Anybody know if the Spanish CETME is any good, quality wise...? I've handled a couple Spanish Mausers and was not super impressed, but $300-ish for a battle rifle kit seems like a helluva deal:

http://www.apexgunparts.com/parts-kits/cetme-model-c-parts-kit-308-7-62mm.html

And how does the CETME differ from the G3, if at all? What tools do you need to assemble the bugger?
>>
File: 1.jpg (37 KB, 560x406) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
37 KB, 560x406
Please fuck off with generals
We fucked your other dumb fucking thread to pieces, stop making more
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.