[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
High power autoloaders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: amtkaboom2.jpg (63 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
amtkaboom2.jpg
63 KB, 640x480
I was at the FLGS the other day, look at some 10mm pistols to take into bear country. The old man behind the counter told me a bit about the .460 rowland, a conversion kit for 45s that rival the power of a .44 Magnum.

Does anyone on /k/ have experience with this?
>>
>>29789666
>Does anyone on /k/ have experience with this?

Looks like the guy in your picture has.
>>
>>29789666
Not with that exact circumstance, but I'm always wary of increasing pressures over what the factory proofed. Case in point - Glock in 40s&w and +p equaling breech failure
>>
>>29789674
The old man also related an anecdote about a glawk exploding in someone's hand, but according to this picture it happens to steel pistols too.
>>
>>
>>29789691
Oh my fucking god. Being polymer framed has no impact whatsoever on the barrel or breech strength. Quit being a fudd
>>
>>29789710
but... one's steel and one's plastic...
>>
>>29789666
First off, any time you change a major design feature on a weapon like its caliber you are going to be risking reliability and saftey.

Next, having grown up in Montana a pistols use against a pissed ofmontan typically fills 3 roles
1: psychological. Makes you feel safe
2: noise maker, high chance the noise of a gunshot is enough to scare off a bear.
3: better than nothing.

Bears have tiny brains, shooting one in the head with anything less than a magnum rifle caliber isnt going to be garunteed to put it down.

Having hunted bear, they are tough as shit. A heart and both lung shot from my .300 remington mag still gives the thing a full 10-15 minutes of being really pissed off, which is why I always fired at them from 300+ yard ranges.

Bear spray from a credible brand like UDAP stops them better than a bullet actually. Thier senses are far more sensitive than ours and getting blasted in the face with 20 percent OC solution literally makes them do a cartwheel and begin smashing into trees shrieking to get away from you. Triggers a panic and flee response.

Its not the most popular opinion on /k/, cuz everyone likes to imagine themselves doing something other than pissing thier pants and missing when a bear comes at em, but bearspray actually works better than pistols for bear defense.

You just hold down the valve and hose a fire-extinguisher like cloud of the stuff at em, you cant miss.

Done it twice in wilderness encounters and tested it a few times on the bears that occaisionally try to break into my trashcans.

I would still urge you to carry a gun in the high country though. Lots of two legged predators running around that its good for, and mountain lions and wolves n such, but if bear is your primary concern a pistol is kind of a better than nothing option, regardless of caliber. People have a tendency to magdump thier gun and miss when being charged, or they do hit and get mauled anyway.
>>
File: 1427094269805.jpg (72 KB, 600x862) Image search: [Google]
1427094269805.jpg
72 KB, 600x862
>>29789748
>>
>>29789765
I think we're of the same mind. I've already got the bear spray, and in the right conditions that's definitely the first choice.

I have a buddy who has guided bear hunts, and he's killed several. He carries a .45 with the mindset that he has way more rounds to fire off, can fire more rounds in the time he has, and at point blank range you aren't losing much power.

With that in mind, the 10mm seems to do a better job of everything he mentioned.
>>
>>29789765
>Lots of two legged predators running around
Wendigos?
>>
>>29789765
Is it allowed to hunt with a .50 in the US ?

Would a .50 jacketed soft point instantly stop a bear ?
>>
>>29789807
A .50BMG probably would.
>>
>>29789807
Probably depends on the state.
>>
>>29789806

Probably either pot farmers or people making methamphetamine.
>>
>>29789709
They leaked shots from the next Call of Duty game already?
>>
>>29789850
Bingo. Metheads. If you are wandering around the woods and start finding empty chemical bottles and sudafed boxes its probably a good time to find somewhere else to hang out.
>>
>>29789807
Would it? Yeah. Would I use it? No.

Im trying to sell the hide and eat it, not just kill it.

A 30.06 or similar caliber rifle does the trick just fine. I shot one with my M1 once just to say I did.

Younger brother killed one with a nugget, my dad shot one with an enfield.
>>
Would like to get a .460 barrel for my G20 but with the trigger undercut I'm a little worried about 950ft lbs cracking it
Think Im just going to buy a G21 and use that as a mule for other calibers
>>
>>29789666
.450 SMC is a good alternative. the increased case wall on the cartridge helps with the pressure, gotta have a .45 rated for +P tho
>>
>>
>>29789709
It's out of battery, isn't it?

Also, how do you ever measure 155% accuracy?
>>
>>29789900
Never heard of it, but from a cursory search it will fire out of a .45 pistol without any mods?

Also, how hard is it to find out if a pistol is 'rated' for +P ammo?
>>
>>29789948
Also known as 45 Super, the Springfield XD series and the various HKs should run it out of the box. Glocks and 1911s will need fully supported barrels and recoil spring tuning.
>>
>>29789948
for my TRP I got a Wilson Combat shok buff and a 22 pound spring.

most good pistols are rated for +P, but its usually stated in the user manual and not stamped on the gun
>>
>>29789748
The only stressed parts are steel even on polymer guns
>>
>>29789927
bob mundin
>>
found this gem
>>
>>29790001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1gyD7fCimA
>>
>>29789666
>>
>>29789666
Don't use a handgun for a rifle's job.
>>
>>29789666
Yes. I built a .460 Rowland on a Caspian 1911 frame and slide.
>rivals the power of .44mag
More like "exceeds the power of all but the most nuclear Ruger-only .44mag and tickles the bottom edge of .454 Casull while kicking less than .44 Special"
All it required was a deeper chamber, heavier springs, and a compensator. So, since I chambered my own barrel and already owned the reamer (most accuracy 1911 barrels come short-chambered) it was like $80 in parts more than a normal 1911 build.

So far I've seen conversion kits for most 1911's (have to have a fully heat-treated frame and slide, which means RIA and most Springfields are out, as well as some lesser known imports), Glocks, HK's (P30, USP, mk23), XD/XDm, M&P, and Sig. If someone made a conversion for an FNX .45 I'd be all over it.
>it is a handloader-only round, technically a wildcat (hasn't achieved SAAMI approval), and only niche semicustom ammo makers load for it. Starline makes brass.
>if you only want to beat 10mm in power, most stock .45acp pistols can handle .45 Super. Which at the upper end shits on even the nuclear Underwood 10mm loads. While remaining backwards compatible with .45ACP.
>>
>>29789807
>depends on the state
>you are aware there are literally dozens of modern .50cal smokeless rifle calibers, right?
>depends entirely on shot placement, a .50BMG JSP to the rear paw will be far less likely to stop a bear than a subsonic .22CB Cap to the eye
Also nobody makes a .510" JSP suitable for .50BMG use.
>>
>>29789948
It's also known as .45 Super. Also known as .45acp +P+. Many 1911's, all Sigs, all HKs, all gen3+ Glocks, all XD's, and the CZ97 can fire it safely (this list is not inclusive, I'm sure there are others).
>>
>>29790024
>all 7
wew lad
>not all 9 with a flush fit mag, or all 11 with one of the ubiquitous and reliable 10rd mags

He's probably not wrong though. a middle of the pack .45 Super carries middle of the pack .44Mag power (more than 10mm by a lot) while still being decently controllable, and having enough penetration to use some of the JHP's on the market instead of something either non-expanding or barely-expanding like FMJ or hardcast FP.
>>
>>29789666
Damn, Satan.

How's that happen in a 1911?
>>
>>29791065
>How's that happen in a 1911?
Springfield.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.