[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any good in skinning an animal with a tanto ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: sassaf.png (246 KB, 492x471) Image search: [Google]
sassaf.png
246 KB, 492x471
Any good in skinning an animal with a tanto ?
>>
>>29787755
Kind of big but if it was all you had it'd work, that type of point is made for stabbing armored targets without breaking the blade.
>>
>>29787755
Sure as shit not what I'd use but I'm sure you could make it work with patience.
>>
>>29787755
Skinning knives are curved with a hooked blade because that is the shape that works best for skinning things. A tanto is straight without a hooked blade. I'm sure you can draw your own conclusions
>>
>>29787755
a good skinning knife has a thin blade.
most tanto's are like 1/4 inch because they are made for mallninjas that smash them against rocks.
>>
>>29787755
>>
>>29788096

You don't need that hook, nice to have but don't need it. I've skinned many deer with using my izula 2. Not hard to do at all.
>>
If you are good and know what you are doing you can skin with anything from a flaked stone to a machete.
>>
>>29787755

With a buddy who tried to use one on a deer we took. He ended up mangling both the hide and the larger muscle cuts of meet. He gave up an used an old butcher's boning knife.

if you are into that sort of stuff check out the F.Dick brand of steel.
>>
>>29788570
Yeah bro just use whatever. I personally skin all my deer with my teeth.
>>
>>29787755
if you puncture and waste meat, you are responsible for your own sin. choose as you will, but a tanto is the worst knife design you could choose anyway. that is a combat knife, and in a combat situation, the person is 99% responsible for success, and his weapon is the last %. if you want to carry a poor design weapon for the highly unlikely chance to use it in its specialty scenario, id argue that you need to reconsider
>>
File: 20160324_154215.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160324_154215.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>29787755
Clip point works better
>>
I'm so operator I don't need an edged tool.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYjw8TTw18
>>
File: forschnerskinningknifebig.jpg (16 KB, 700x271) Image search: [Google]
forschnerskinningknifebig.jpg
16 KB, 700x271
>>29787755

But why? Just why?

I could come up with all kinds of "flint vs. lighter" or "axe vs. knife batoning" type of analogies but you probably get the idea already - there are right tools for the right job and while you CAN do it with other tools...you probably enjoy doing it with the right one.

There are reasons why skinning knives exist and if you know you are going to need one, carry one. It does NOT weigh or take that much space and it does the job very well.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.