[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Carry handles on rifles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: 3774.jpg (67 KB, 1668x714) Image search: [Google]
3774.jpg
67 KB, 1668x714
AR-15, AR-10, FAMAS, XM8, G36 got them

But I have never seen a single person actually using them as a carry handle.

So what's the point of these? They just seem to add weight
>>
>>29787258
they raise the rise above bore and make it look like shit
pretty tactical desu
>>
CARRY
HANDLES
ARE
NOT
FOR
CARRYING

THE
M240B
IS
NOT
A
SUITCASE
PRIVATE
>>
>>29787258
they usually protect the rifle's sights, and are convenient for carrying in a pinch, but often aren't. historically rifles used slings, and prior to that were just carried by the stock. during the early 1900s, protecting rifle sights became a thing, and most developed ears. in the 30's and 40's dedicated handles were popular.

as most modern weapons are derived from rifles 50+ years ago, they maintain certain vestigial qualities.

ostensibly, complacent use of a carry handle on a loaded rifle (and most long arms lack drop safeties) and flagging someone has the possibility of an ND.
>>
>>29787275
Are they really not?
>>
>>29787275
That probably explains why I got stopped last time I went through security at the airport.
>>
>>29787275
Why the fuck are they called "carry handles" then?
>>
>>29787258
Being sexy as fuck.
>>
>>29787283

I can't even recall the number of times I've grabbed the 240B by the carry handle out of convenience and gotten yelled at for it.

>>29787292

It's a carry handle, the FM calls it a fucking carry handle, in the infinite wisdom of the US Army infantry we just aren't allowed to use it for carrying.
>>
>>29787277
>in the 30's and 40's dedicated handles were popular.

On like what weapons
>>
>>29787275
>THE M240B IS NOT A SUITCASE PRIVATE
my fucking sides. I might join the army and become a drill instructor just so I can shout shit like this
>>
>>29787258

talked a few old timer vets and one said that used to tote their M16 like lunchboxes because not all guns had a sling. Some guys chose simply to not use the sling because it wasn't comfortable. Also, they were just used to it since it was still fashionable for men to carry brief cases.
>>
File: DSCF0566.jpg (634 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0566.jpg
634 KB, 1600x1200
>>29787275
I use mine for carrying nocarries
>>
i thought CH are for when a grunt has to hold both his rifle and a box of ammo at the same time?
>>
File: file.jpg (46 KB, 480x339) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
46 KB, 480x339
>>29787258
I thought the ar-10 originally had it to protect the charging handle which was in the carry handle part.
>>
>>29787365

Why do that when you can sling the rifle and carry TWO BOXES OF AMMO!
>>
>>29787363
Quadrail cup? Sauce?
>>
>>29787321
*marines

but yeah i get your point. kek'd a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFe2bfrJIrc
>>
>>29787365
On a practical level, a carry handle makes it possible to fireman carry a casualty and their weapon, if the sling has been destroyed.

In the WWII sense, the carry handle also makes it practical to sprint with the rifle and ammo cans, or multiple rifles and ammo cans.

The combat oriented portions of the military frown heavily upon the use of carry handles due to the inevitable dropping, flagging, barrel dirt plugging, and general lack of positive control of the weapon that carry handle usage induces.

But in reality, unless the sling of the weapon got fucked up, you just don the extra rifle by the sling and hobble it back to where you're going. It's a pain in the ass because slung weapons that aren't adjusted really have a tendency to bang around on you when you're running or even just walking. I hate slinging other people's shit. Glad I don't have to fuck with it anymore.
>>
>>29787311
mostly machineguns and other automatic rifles (M1918, Bren LMG, et c). You also see lessons learned in previous years about protecting sights front damage or snagging with the ears on the SMLE and other infantry rifles.

it's tangentially related to carry handles only in the aspect of unifying a protective element to sights with a method to carry a rifle by something other than a sling.
>>
>>29787378
For that particular gun, it was convenient and balanced to put it there. look at carry handles on more front heavy guns like the G3 or FAL - they are in a far more forward position, and other steps were taken to protect the sights (with ears) and charging handle (non reciprocating, allowing it to fold flush, et c)
>>
>>29787382
Huh? It's a Battle Mug
>>
File: IMAG0358.jpg (3 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0358.jpg
3 MB, 1520x2688
I don't know why, but they are pretty sexy.
>>
File: IMAG0141.jpg (2 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0141.jpg
2 MB, 1520x2688
>>29788309
However, the carry handle on my RPK is really nice for picking it up and moving it a few feet if it is sitting on the ground with the bipod deployed
>>
>>29787381

Sling a rifle while wearing a backpack, pick up two loaded .50 Cal cans and run 50 meters as fast as you can while crouched.
>>
>>29788320
Nice NSP mang
>>
>>29787401
>that fucking murder glare

Some say he's still running.
>>
>>29787258
I usually carry mine by the handle real quickly
>>
Bren
L1A1 SLR
F88
M240
M242
M1919A4

Used the carry handle on them all.
There is a time and place for it. Admin move, 80 k march, running.
>>
>>29787401
You can pinpoint the exact moment he realises how deep he fucked up.
>>
>>29787258
With inline rifles, sights had to be raised to match, and some had ideas to turned these raised sights into full carryhandles.
Personally, I think ARs with integrated carryhandles look fly, but I can see why people think they're needless weight.

Carrying in a low ready or with a sling seems better overall.

>>29787275
Get raped Sgt.

>>29787277
>(and most long arms lack drop safeties)
Whut, no they don't, do you know how many lawsuits there'd be

>>29787310
Your CO is autistic, it's common.
>>
>>29787363
Keymod cup when
>aaah coffee everywhere!
>>
>>29789313
>Your CO is autistic, it's common.
This.
>>
>>29787258
So hey, as a real answer here's the deal. Carry handles were designed and meant to be used as such when the idle was designed.

The old doctrine was that rifles were meant to be slung in matches, but to be entirely unslung during combat. This is because slings back then were very simple and not adjustable. You will notice sling mounts on GI standard ARs are set up at the bottom to allow for vertical shoulder carry, not for low ready carry.

If in combat a GI needs to carry something else such as an ammo can or a first aid litter, the rifle was intended to be carried by the handle in one hand, and the item in the other. This was though to maximize its readiness compared to shoulder slinging. Look at photos and FMs from Vietnam and you'll see GIs doing this.

Carry handles also served as the mounting point for optics before we figure out rails.

After Vietnam, we learned that slinging rifles in the low ready was better and switched to that as doctrine. Slings got better, rails became the mounting option, and the carry handle itself became something of a relic of past doctrine.
>>
>>29789458
Fuck my phones auto correct. You get the idea past the stupid typos.
>>
>>29787258
In the FAMAS, it protects the charging handle and grenade sights (and regular sights to a degree), and it allows to quickly grab it whan it's resting on its bipod, and to carry one in each hand when your preparing maneuvers. Also make taking the rifle apart for cleaning a bit easier.
Can't say for the others, I havent used them.
>>
>>29787310
>the infinite wisdom of the US Army infantry we just aren't allowed to use it for carrying.

>That one inspection where we got yelled at for having garbage in the garbage can and laundry in the laundry basket.

I mean, I get it, we should have taken out the trash and done our laundry, but the one roomate that last his shit afterwards when the full force of military logic hit him. He was ranting and raving for a good ten minutes about how retarded it all way.
>>
>>29787258

I always thought the carry handle was for putting it in and taking it out of storage racks, vertical or horizontal.
>>
>>29788309
>tfw my A2 stock is slightly lighter than the rest of my rifle too
triggering my OCD
>>
>>29788320
Century really do carry handles perfectly.
They are always placed where the nigga is most balanced.
>>
>>29787401
Why do they yell like they have small dicks?
>>
>>29787275
Oh boy does that bring back memories
>PRIVATE NEVER CARRY THE WEAPON BY THE CARRY HANDLE
>DRILL SERGEANT YES DRILL SERGEANT

I use to think carry handles were ugly and pointless but they do a good job of protecting the rear sight somewhat.
>>
>>29787285
kek
>>
>>29790923
They use the frog voice so that they can yell longer, doesn't strain there voice. Its funny to hear the new ones who haven't figured it out and get all raspy.
>>
File: What really happens in there..jpg (90 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
What really happens in there..jpg
90 KB, 960x720
I've got one on my m4gery, mostly because I knew a shady armorer when I was in.
>>
File: rambo uses it.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
rambo uses it.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>
>>29790902
I remember my buttstock from the military being smooth plastic; this PSA one kind of feels velvety
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.