[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to dodge bullets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: dodging bullets.jpg (23 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
dodging bullets.jpg
23 KB, 500x375
Is it possible to dodge bullets?
>>
>>29786776

No.

Even a "slow" bullet going 600fps will traverse the length of a football field in not much more time than it takes for you to blink, much less get out of the way of it.
>>
>>29786811
That was a quick thread.
>>
.45acp travels slow enough that you can
>>
mythbusters did a thing on it. no you cant.
>>
File: GunKataTshirt_5525.gif (10 KB, 250x224) Image search: [Google]
GunKataTshirt_5525.gif
10 KB, 250x224
>>29786811
True, thats why its all about the gun kata. A system of combat positions mathematically compiled to give you every chance to dodge shots. Really you have to dodge fingers not bullets.
>>
>>29786776
I’m trying to tell you that when you’re ready, you won’t have to.
>>
>>29786843

Go buy an airsoft gun that shoots at 250fps. Have your buddy shoot at you from 10 yards. Not going to be easy.
>>
>>29786776
I'd say it's possible only because luck, nothing to do with "training to"
>>
>>29786869
kek
>>
>>29786776
Insofar as you can move away from the ultimate terminus of the shot before it is placed, sure. But once that trigger is pulled if you're in line with it, you're fucked.
>>
>>29786776
>Is it possible to dodge bullets?

Why don't you find out?
>>
>>29786776
No, you dodge the aim.
>>
All of you faggots are assuming that the guy is close. What about long range?

Shot is taken at 700m at center mass. The instant you see the muzzle flash, you fucking jackie chan your ass on the deck.

Sounds pretty doable to me
>>
probably a .45 acp if its a tracer and shooting from at least 100 yards
>>
>>29786776

no, that is beyond human capability
>>
>>29787203
okay. average .308 Win performance is ~ 750 meters per second. when you are signaled that the cartridge is fired you have slightly less than 1 second to move your average body 8" to either side to avoid it.

nerve conduction velocity (the time is takes for your brain to fire an electrical impulse to some motor nerve) is 120 meters per second. that 6 times SLOWER than the speed the bullet is travelling through the air to you.

by the time you recognize and process the signal, and send a nerve impulse to your muscles to move your body, you will have already been shot - possibly up to 6 times.
>>
>>29787316
i'm purposely ignoring that the distance traveled for the nerve impulse is far shorter than the bullet needs to travel. from the brain to the end of the spine is about 15 meters of preganglionic fibers controlling autonomic and "reflexive" actions for the trunk and lower body. post ganglion is so short as to not be significant to the question at hand.

so, yes, you can force a bullet to hit you in a different spot, perhaps a couple inches off target, but you will not avoid being hit.
>>
>>29787203
You could probably dodge a slow, heavy round like .45ACP at 700m (though who can hit something dead on at 700m with .45ACP), but any high velocity rounds and you're fucked.
>>
>>29787361
using NCV and NRS numbers, a ~350m/s .45 ACP bullet fired perfectly at a target at 700 meters would give that target 1.8 seconds to move 8" out of the way. 8" is assuming the target is center mass, and is half the width of the average healthy human adult male torso. a minimum of 4" of movement would be required to move most vital organs out of harms way.

given average reflex times, a body at rest will be hit by such a "slow" bullet prior to moving more than a few inches.
>>
>>29787406
How's a bullet whose starting velocity is 350 m/s and is only going to slow down in the air going to take less than 2 seconds to reach its target?

Regardless, average human reaction time to a visual stimulus is .25 seconds. So that leaves you, even assuming your 1.8 seconds number, 1.55 seconds to dodge 8" left or right. Sounds pretty doable to me, even if you're just shifting directly to the left or to the right. However, since you assume that the person is standing so that their width is perpendicular to the path of the projectile, that person could also turn their body and arch their back to move their torso out of the path of the projectile, making dodging this definitely doable.
>>
>>29787470
cool. where are you so we can test this?
>>
>>29787470
.45 and most other pistol powders are fast burning to the point that the bullet continues to accelerate for a short period of time even after it's left the barrel. also, 350m/s is muzzle velocity, and even assuming it slows slightly on its way to a target, at 700 meters distant, slightly over two seconds is pretty believable. 7.62x54 at 900 yards is about a "heartbeat" from firing it to hearing the gong, which means sound from striking the gong travels back to me within that bang, pause, gong heartbeat.
>>
Technocratic agents can actually dodge bullets due to neural and cybernetic augmentation.
>>
>>29786869
Not sure if you're joking or not.
>>
>>29786776
Theoretically, yes, under the right circumstances.

Practically: Hell no.
>>
>>29787704
>the intelligence of the average modern /k/ommando
>>
>>29787704
It's from a movie, Equilibrium
>>
>>29786776
Depends on how far away the bullet is.
>>
>>29786776
essentially no
the only way to "dodge" a bullet is to be out of its trajectory before it is even fired
>>
>>29786776
Only if you roll
>>
>>29787481
we take OP out to the back forty and shoot at him.
>>
>>29786776

Closest thing we'll get to dodging bullets is personal electro magnetic gravity field generators. Strong enough to change the bullet's trajectory so it misses the wearer. This shit would be hyper sci-fi for today but probably wouldn't matter because energy weapons would probably exist as well.
>>
File: boristheblade.jpg (14 KB, 220x284) Image search: [Google]
boristheblade.jpg
14 KB, 220x284
maybe
>>
>>29787938
Heavy as fuck with stupid power supply issues, not to mention xboxhueg, expensive as hell, impossible to repair in the field, only works well against ferromagnetic bullets. Better off with body armor.

Wait, I just noticed you were talking about
>gravity field generators

Now that's just plain fantasy shit.
>>
>>29786776
>if someone is shooting at you from 800m or more
maybe, if you see the muzzle flash and just drop like a stone immediately, which is highly improbable
>7-800m or closer
no
>>
File: Karambit-2-10-Final-1200x959.jpg (157 KB, 1200x959) Image search: [Google]
Karambit-2-10-Final-1200x959.jpg
157 KB, 1200x959
>>29786776
You cant doge bullets but you can not be where the shooter is pointing when he pulls the trigger. Inside 20 feet a knife is far more effective than a gun. So long as the shooter doesn't already have the drop on you.
>>
>>29787514
>owod
I like you
>>
>>29788260
more like boris the sneaky fucking russian
>>
>>29787203
>The instant you see the muzzle flash

Nope. What you are doing is judging the shooter's aiming point and trying to get away from it. f the shooter can't track a moving target, this is doable. But if you wait for the flash, it's too late.
>>
>>29789828
this
>>
>>29789828
So, basically, everywhere you go, just run retarded and random patterns?
>>
>>29789855
No use covering fire to advance, Move cover to cover, and do so as low and quickly as possible. Covering or suppressive fire is the best bet to close distance if you have the ammo.
>>
>>29789882
Well the ammo and a partner.
>>
>>29789882
I don't mean in combat conditions. I mean just like, walking around. Lots of snipers in the US lately. I have a cousin that goes to Pennsylvania State, and I visit him sometimes. Plus, I always feel pretty exposed in parking lots.

From now on, every time I walk through an open space like a courtyard, I will walk serpentine, and maybe throw in a couple of somersaults. People staring can get fucked, they're the ones that are easy targets. Enjoy your lead sandwich sheeple.

All of those people standing in one spot playing hackysack or playing ultimate frisbee while running in a straight line have no idea what's coming.
>>
>>29786776
If I shoot my gun at you from here you probably could.
>>
When time comes you wont have to doge them
>>
>>29789957
Serpentine is a meme and wont help you if they are a real sniper they will figure out what you are doing and drop you any way. Best defense is always cover other than that run like a motherfucker and pray.
>>
>>29786776
You move out of direction the gun is pointing but you don't actually dodge bullets.
>>
Say a 1100 ft per second average handgun bullet.
Most people can twitch move from a stop to somewhere else in a half second.
So at 550ft away you might dodge.
You can see a bullet traveling to or away from you in the right lighting or if it's a tracer. It looks slow at that angle, but it's really not.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 630x420
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a bullet.
>>
>>29789855
Well, not retarded ones, that would get you shot because they are by definition, poorly advised and predictable, etc. But yes, ones intended to to throw off the other guy.

And it would be the aim you dodged like people said. They tested something like that with a gun that shot tennis balls or something relatively slow (like the speed of a blaster bolt) for a Star Wars Myth on Mythbusters and found it to be all but impossible to dodge even that.

And you can actually see those flying through the air.

(Now, a Jedi Knight even if we assume they are no faster than a normal human like us, would start moving well before it even happened because the Force let them know it was coming. Which is unscientific and untestable.)
>>
>>29787152
Technically possible

Run perpendicular to the shooter and you force him to constantly adjust his aim. It's not a certain thing but if you don't have any cover it's not a bad idea.
>>
If you're far enough that you would see the muzzle flash before you'd hear the shot, and just react immediately.
Maybe.

But that's not really even dodging.
>>
>>29786776
Basically you can't "dodge" bullets but in order to avoid being hit you need to look at the barrel and calculate its trajectory. I've trained in gunkata for almost a decade, and I can confidently dodge anything below MG42.
>>
>>29786776
Yes. Mythbusters did an episode on this where at a certain range, if the person getting shot at sees the muzzle flash, they can effectively dodge. Now mind you, it was quite a distance.
>>
>>29787203
>The instant you see the muzzle flash
>seeing the miniscule flash of smokeless powder at 700m
yeah, no
>>
Only with precognition or luck.
Signal action of the nervous system is too slow to outpace a bullet at close range.
And though it is possible to dodge a bullet at extreme ranges, you won't be able to know it's coming for you until it hits.

You didn't hear it from me, but there is a black project in the works that integrates an early warning sniper avoidance system into the helmets of the servicemen of a certain country. It uses an active doppler radar system to look for small high-velocity objects moving toward it. If it sees a bullet or other potential threat, a loud alarm is sounded in the ear of the soldier, giving him a very short time to dodge. It worked in tests, but currently, the system is too heavy and bulky to be useful. It won't be miniaturized any time soon.
>>
>>29787316
>>29787356
That doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure that most anyone can dodge to the side if you give them nearly a second. If you need nearly 1 second to react to a visual stimulus, you have serious medical issues.
>>
>>29787501
This is the most retarded thing I've read this year

No commercial .45ACP is 350m/s
Bullets start to slow down immediately after they exist the barrel (the effect the muzzle blast has 5-10mm from the barrel is of no effect really)
.45ACP fired from 700m away will take several seconds to reach the target, as a reasonable flight time for a .308 at that distance is 1,5-1,7s

Human reaction time is 0,2-0,3s on average. In boxing, the punch lands way faster than even 7mm RUM from 700m would and people dodge punches with ease.

Now whether dodging a bullet in any realistic situation is doable is a different story. I just wanted to point out how fucking retarded that one anon is.
>>
>>29787829
kekd
>>
Myth busters did an episode on this. The shooter had to be extremely far away and use a special load that caused a bigger than normal muzzle flash, but eventually they were able to dodge a few.
>>
>>29791476
I wonder how many interns they went through before they got it right.
>>
Isn't it common sense to say that you can move out of where the shooter is targeting but can't dodge the bullet itself?

Someone is about 5 feet away and you can tell they're aiming straight for your head and you could probably duck and tackle them before they could reaim and hit you?

Or whatever. If the gun isn't pointing at you, it can't put a bullet in you, so you can dodge its effect field of fire.
>>
>>29789722
>inside 20 feet a knife is far more effective than a gun

Please take your next level movie logic somewhere else.
>>
File: white_morpheus.png (249 KB, 520x608) Image search: [Google]
white_morpheus.png
249 KB, 520x608
>>29786870
>>
>>29791399
The thing is that it kind of depends where you start timing the punch. All the pro boxers are looking for tells so they know the punch is coming before they see the fist move.
>>
>>29786776
Technically it is possible, though really "dodging" in this context could be more accurately described as "moving in a fashion that makes your opponent more likely to miss."
>>
>>29791496
Enough that they had to cancel the show apparently
>>
>>29791654
They really don't look for tells. If you are a pro, there hardly are any tells.
You look for the punch, that's it. Sure, telegraphing can be read from the shoulders but that is when the punch is pretty much coming.
In any case, the punch come way faster than even the fastest bullet from 700m away. With a good jab you have less than 0,25s to react, with a good cross less than 0,35s. Pretty much any caliber from 700m away gives you more than 0,8s, most more than 1,5s.
>>
>>29791633
Looks like FPSrussia.
>>
>>29786776
Its called "missing."
>>
>>29793818
Does making your opponent miss count as dodging?
>>
Yes. And you can defy gravity with happy thoughts, too.
>>
What if the weapon was positioned so that only a few millimeters of the slowest slug would touch your body and you were running at max speed down a steep hill
>>
>>29787203

They did this on Mythbusters. At that range it's nigh impossible to see the flash, and that's if you're actually looking for it. You certainly won't hear it before the bullet reaches you. So you're fucked.
>>
File: S-Borris.jpg (15 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
S-Borris.jpg
15 KB, 512x288
>>29788260

if it does not work, you can always hit him with it
>>
>>29789722
>Inside 20 feet a knife is far more effective than a gun.

Considering that knives aren't deadly in the modern world anymore, not really
>>
How possible would it be to dodge a light beam?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.