[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Efficient walking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
Are there techniques to walk efficiently over long distances? I mean walking not running.
I remember my PE teacher at high school used to be in the military and he said keep your feet parallel when walking. However every soldier ever has a really wide step and never keeps the feet parallel at all.

tl;dr
Does the military teach efficient long range walking techniques?
>>
>>29780641
Walking techniques probably have minimal differences as long as your not a retard
>>
>>29780641

Head down, focus on taking the next step.
>>
I remember there was a scene in one of the Sharp movies where they mess with some other regiment by walking faster somehow
>>
>>29780687
***this is presuming you aren't going to be encountering Opfors
>>
File: 1419258633893.jpg (855 KB, 2048x1333) Image search: [Google]
1419258633893.jpg
855 KB, 2048x1333
The French foreign legion has a special marching technique, for deserts and shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKXnnChrFg
>>
>>29780641
Light, slow jogging becomes easier than walking once you've walked enough to make your feet sore.
>>
>>29780699

That's to do with regiment regulations and drills.

Green rifles were more flexible in their drills due to the nature of what they did.
>>
>>29780687
>head down

OP yes they do, it's called not what this jackass said. You keep your head on a swivel.

That and just keep walking. I was Infantry and my chicken legs never failed me.
>>
>>29780775
So you were never taught to keep your feet straight or anything?
>>
Just keep lifting your knees. The rest will do itself.
>>
>>29780831
What in the fuck are you talking about. You don't know how to walk? My 3 year olds pretty good at it.

You keep your head on a swivel to maintain situational awareness. You maintain dispersion so if you get attacked not in a giant cluster so you all don't get blown up. And some no serve bitch tried to question be about this once but the man in the rear has to 180 a lot to check behind for rear security.

The rest is just walking my man. Left foot, right foot.
>>
>>29780641
lean forward slightly and fall into your steps. Let gravity do the work for you.
>>
>>29780888
You sound like the typical marine desu.
>just do what youre told
Thats why you didnt make sf
>>
>>29780980
I didn't want SF my young memester.

I joined during the surge and 03 was the way to be.
>>
>>29781011
Tell me about the war gramps.
>>
>>29781259
I went to a bachelor party at the purple church in Oceanside once.

I lost a lot of good men in that strip club.
>>
The fuck? I used to work with a guy who was in the Navy and he had this really wide, almost waddle with his toes pointed out. Said it had something to do with keeping his footing on ships.

There was a super noticible difference between us when we walked through some fresh snow, my steps were like almost on a tight rope with toes forward compared to his.

Different branches, different stances. (Army here)
>>
>>29781314
Also, this dude went to culinary school after getting out. Got pretty big, so that could have eccentuated the waddle a bit.
>>
>>29781314
Thats called sea legs. He is absolutely right about it being used to keep your footing on ship. Its a balance thing. But it doesnt work well on land.
>>
>>29781334
I wasn't gonna argue having never stood on a ship before. And looked interesting seeing our steps side by side like that.

Anyway, most efficient way of walking on land is to actually pick up your feet. If you hear some scuffing you're wrong. IMO.
>>
>>29780641
>long range walking techniques

I'm not sure why but i find this word jumble fucking hilarious.

You get taught foot care but you're expected to figure out putting one foot in front of the other all on your own.
>>
>>29781391
>Sarge tell how to walk
>>
>>29781382
Thats only half of it. You want to lean forward slightly and fall into your steps. Most people make the mistake of pushing off and forward like they would normally or as a reaction to the weight they are carrying but that fucks your feet and tires you out fast. Instead let gravity do the work and let yourself fall into your steps. Not hard mind you but you want to create a cyclical motion where gravity and momentum are helping you out.
>>
>>29781426
>>
>>29781596
A JELLY DOUGHNUT?!
>>
How about techniques for running? I know that athletes have specific techniques for running super fast but what are they?
>>
>>29781666
... Talk to an athlete? Not saying soldiers aren't athletic but aside from short sprints, running in the military is more distance/endurance than speed.
>>
For running start slow. You should get your heart rate up gradually rather than just starting off at the pace you think you should go. Granted this is more useful for endurance running
>>
File: avatar2.jpg (2 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
2 KB, 125x93
Fucking day/k/are.
>>
>>29781666
Sprinters run on their toes, no heels.
Long distance runners rock heel to toe in a rocking/loping manner.
>>
>>29780699

It was Sharpes regiment where they joined as new recruits to the South Essex then on the march to base proceeded to do the rifles quick time March to catch out the short fat recruiter.
>>
>>29780699
They were line regiments, were marching speed varied because that was how they travelled, it was vital to logistics that you have a resting marching speed, a fast march to cover ground quickly and a steady march to balance fatigue and speed.

We don't do that now as we have the internal combustion engine.
they would march across Europe.
>>
>>29781834
Night time is filled with european daytime visitors. You do realize this?
>>
>>29781596
Holy shit look at the veins, he will have a stroke soon.
>>
>>29781982
I don't have to realize shit.
>>
>>29782006

You know, if you're not a fat piece of shit it's just normal that veins show often.

Guess you can't know
>>
>>29782133
Oh you got me. Now excuse me while I waddle off to mcdonalds to get some burgers :DDDD
>>
>>29782140
>:DDDD

wat
>>
>>29781666
run on your toes to use your foot as spring.

Doe long distance running try running flat or on your toes if you get tired to change up muscle groups. Ads more spring on the toes, if you keep hitting with the ball of your heel your gonna have more knee and hip damage or be tired out
>>
>>29782140
>you got me

really? I was just shooting in the dark
>>
>>29782161
>>29782271
back2reddit
>>
>>29782375

wat
>>
>>29780980
what the fuck
>>
>>29781596
I am not in the army or anything but I have had bosses scream at me like that and I always have a really hard time not just laughing at them.

This is why I'm not in the service.
>>
>>29781982
Europeans are too busy choking on muslim dick to be on 4chan.
>>
>>29783114
i would love to see your ass get smacked for laughing at your DS after you fuck up and get chewed out
>>
>>29780641
Focus on everything
Concentrate on nothing
Keep moving
Repeat
>>
Walking long distances is the human species only evolutionary advantage other than opposable thumbs and intelligence
>>
File: insanity - crab switch kicks.jpg (13 KB, 400x343) Image search: [Google]
insanity - crab switch kicks.jpg
13 KB, 400x343
>>29780641

Reverse crab walk with your pack on your belly.

4 limbs is > 2 limbs, its simple logic.

Plus it lowers your profile and it puts you in perfect striking position for a tactical crotch kick.
>>
>>29780641
the march seems like a useless part of militaria, but the march is actually the most profound system of walking distances. yes that over-exaggerated korea-style march. drag your left and stomp your right
>>
>>29780641
You learn by doing it. Your gait is adjusted as you tire out. Just look at long distance movements for anything
>>
>>29780641
Protip

Don't run in a ruck if you would like to enjoy physical activity after the age of 35

March/Walk is one thing

Running? Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>29781860
No they don't. Heel striking will end your running career in short measure.

Go try running with a heel strike in a typical running shoe-- it allows this to happen and not fuck you up as immediately due to thick cushioning in the heel. Crutch for bad form.

Now take your shoes off and try running with the same heel strike. Ouch, that hurt didn't it

Your arch, when using a mid & forefoot strike is the first line of your natural suspension, and does a lot of different flexion movements that move up your ankle to your knees and beyond in a natural way. Heel strikes completely bypass this and will give you knee and hip problems in short order.
>>
Assuming you've got a ruck on; lean forwardish, swing your arms, and don't quit.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.