[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Smart Guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 25
File: Smart Guns are the answer K.jpg (65 KB, 940x478) Image search: [Google]
Smart Guns are the answer K.jpg
65 KB, 940x478
Tell me /K/ how are smart guns not the answer to America's gun problem?

>Shall not be-!
It's not infringing on your rights at all, you can still buy and own guns, all it's doing is making sure only you can use your gun by having a finger print scanner or a wireless key so you can use it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/are-smart-guns-answer-america-s-gun-problem-n564396
>>
>>29779572
so I can still go on a shooting spree with my own guns?

check mate faggot
>>
>>29779572
Guess how I know you're from reddit?
>>
o hey guys whats going on in this thread
>>
>>29779572
>implying America has a gun problem
America has a socioeconomic problem that has nothing to do with guns.
>>
>>29779572
Give me the reasons you think smart gums would solve the "gun problem" so I can refute them.
>>
>supporting SOP

Drebin pls.
>>
File: 1456431851048(2).jpg (214 KB, 486x835) Image search: [Google]
1456431851048(2).jpg
214 KB, 486x835
So, smart guns are making the rounds in the news again.
>>
We don't have a gun problem.

The problem is that LBJ's Great Society and Clinton's "tough on crime" have created a generations of black criminals. Reagan also screwed up by closing down the mental institutions and forcing the integration of mental defectives into society.
>>
>>29779572
What "problem" might that be?
>>
>>29779572
>It's not infringing on your rights at all, you can still buy and own guns, all it's doing is making sure only you can use your gun by having a finger print scanner or a wireless key so you can use it.

Fuck you, faggot. It is infringing on my rights. The military doesn't use this unreliable piece of shit technology, and neither will I.

Adding shit electronics to my firearms makes them less reliable and adds bulk. There's a reason people buy the simplest and most reliable firearms. They want them to work when they need them.

Now go shove a fucking baseball bat up your dick-hole, cunt.
>>
nanomachines
>>
>>29779572
what about shooting ranges?
what about teaching new shooters?
what if the owner isn't home and their gf/wife/husband/kid/whatever needs to defend the home?
smart guns are just another form of gun control and the move to limit the 2A.
>>
>>29779581
Because people like the president and I are right about guns, the right to bear arms is an outdated idea
>>29779579
With smart guns, the police could turn your gun off remotely, check mate
>>29779590
And guns are the tools of the problem, they need to be controlled for whom can have them
>>29779612
Smart guns would keep criminals from stealing your guns then using the. Plus like i said before, the police could then turn the gun "off" if you went on a shooting spree yourself
>>29779638
Yes it is, the best president of the United states is brave enough to stand up and come up with a solution and he cant do it then president hillary will
>>
>>29779572
The government can't restrict me to buying a certain kind of weapon or banning others. It is extremely unconstitutional, so fuck off.
>>
>>29779572
Because it doesn't magically remove the illegal guns used for 80% of firearms homicides in inner cities.

Nor will it prevent the owner using it to do whatever.

Nor will it magically prevent anyone from using it to commit suicide or just using another method.
>>
>>29779737
Oh, okay, so it's just another bait thread.
>>
>>29779737
>guns are the tools
look at the UK...mass stabbings,
when are we going to have finger print scanners on knives so nobody can use your knife
Bretty gud b8 thread/10
>>
>>29779572
>Doesn't work when batteries dead
>Fingerprint scanner is right where I put my other hand for proper grip
>One more thing to buy as if ammo wasn't enough
Yeah I really not seeing the advantages here. Maybe if I had children and was very worried about them breaking into my safe.
>>
Ability to brick your smart gun electronically at a distance. Fuck you.
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>29779737
>the right to bear arms is an outdated idea
I mean, you had the OP going well and everything, but then you just dumped the fucking bait bucket in.
try again later, or don't.
oh, tell your wife's son I say hi.
>>
>>29779713
This. If the military adopted it I would consider but they never fucking will since it puts a huge burden on the person using it
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-03-12-17-20.png (454 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-03-12-17-20.png
454 KB, 1080x1920
I have a cap for this
>>
>>29779737
>Police turn the gun off
You have no idea how this technology works do you? It's not fucking connected to the Internet you retard. At least be informed about your amazing idea before you start talking about it.
>>
>>29779737
>Because people like the president and I are right about guns, the right to bear arms is an outdated idea
Just like free speech and right to assembly, huh?
>>
>>29779764
>look at the UK...mass stabbings
What mass stabbings?
>>
>>29779825
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/650202/Colchester-Essex-Town-Stabbings-Attacks
Normal shit like this happening frequently. Just like gun violence in America.
>>
>>29779843
you nigger, don't say gun violence, just say violence.
"gun violence" was a term the gun grabbers came up with to make it sound more like an issue and important and shit.
>>
Hahaha God bless gun grabbers. At least they're trying to get cops killed this time.
>>
>>29779855
I'm using the term to show its nothing more than just a different form of violence that happens everywhere.
>>
>>29779572
>Electrical components which are more likely to fail than the mechanical.
>The watch style could be hampered or disabled by devices emitting radio waves.
>Watch Sytle requires a PIN to activate, making the weapon useless in a self-defense situation.
>Watch batteries could be dead.
>Gun batteries could be dead.
>Watch left at home.
>Fingerprint scanner could be dirrty.
>Fingerprint scanner battery could be dead.
>Shooter can't wear gloves ever.
>People missing their right middle finger would be screwed.
>Left-handed shooters screwed entirely unless they want to spend extra on a southpaw snoflake model which will probably cost and extra $200.

Every single one of these factors would now be added into the list of factors that would already cause one of these weapons to fail to fire. All this will do is drum up the price on conventional firearms, increase the number of private citizens making straw purchases at gun buybacks, and create a black market for permanently unlocked smart guns.
>>
>>29779868
>black market for permanently unlocked smart guns.
this.
seriously, hackers/black market faggots all over the world would buy all of the ones with different OS' (since each manufacturer will no doubt be running a different system) crack it, and then sell the unlock code (sort of like jailbreaking for iphones), make a shitload of money, then the manufacturer patches it, and the cycle repeats.
>>
>>29779868
/thread
>>
>>29779737
I'm going to assume you're trolling, because if I had to admit to myself that a person could be as retarded as you, I would probably jump off a bridge.
>>
File: 1244496471283.png (44 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1244496471283.png
44 KB, 1000x1000
>>29779572
It's not infringing on your rights at all, you can still buy and own guns, all it's doing is making sure only you can use your gun by having a finger print scanner or a wireless key so you can use it.
When it's a life or death situation and seconds count, waiting for a smart device to read your electronic ID is disastrous. Plus it's adding another point of failure into a weapon that you're relying on to save you. What if something's out of sync? What if the fingerprint scanner doesn't take on the first read? What if your battery is low or out? Government and criminals couldn't give a fuck if you're ready or not.

As technology advances, what will stop companies or governments from installing devices to disable the weapons? Pass laws making it illegal to disable the device that disables the weapon?
>>
>>29779737
>Because people like the president and I are right about guns, the right to bear arms is an outdated idea
Go home Michelle, you're drunk.

>With smart guns, the police could turn your gun off remotely, check mate
Meaning now the police could do whatever the fuck they want and not worry about consequences when they shoot your dog or flashbang your baby.
>And guns are the tools of the problem, they need to be controlled for whom can have them
And you don't fix a problem by covering up the symptoms, you fix it be solving the underlying issue like mental instability and a culture that believes the only two ways out of the ghetto is becoming a drug dealer or a basketball player.
>Smart guns would keep criminals from stealing your guns then using the. Plus like i said before, the police could then turn the gun "off" if you went on a shooting spree yourself

Except that it wouldn't because the weapon would be just as easy to steal a a normal gun, except that they'd have to spend an hour or two to disassemble it and bypass the locking mechanism.

>Yes it is, the best president of the United states is brave enough to stand up and come up with a solution and he cant do it then president hillary will
Except that he isn't coming up with a soultion. even if his pipe dream of disarming legal gun owners comes to fruition, we'll still have the violent mentally ill roaming the streets. they'll just end up going on mass stabbings like you keep seeing in asia and europe. This is all speculation of course because the POTUS isnt going to get anything passed in the next 9 months unless he fires up a lot more false flag shootings.
>>
File: image.gif (535 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
535 KB, 245x245
>>29779789
>>
>>29779572
Over complicating something, will break easily, etc, etc
>>
>>29779737
>the cops can turn off your gun remotely
> not infringing on my rights
Choose one
>>
File: 1461753478761.gif (126 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1461753478761.gif
126 KB, 720x480
>>29779737
>>
File: 1404183244566.gif (426 KB, 363x339) Image search: [Google]
1404183244566.gif
426 KB, 363x339
>>29779572
>>>/K/
>shilling for 'smart guns"
>not realizing the obvious implications of gun control
Get the fuck out, and don't come back. You are a flaming homosexual cocksucker, and should be tarred and feathered for even suggesting that this is a good idea.
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 225x225
I can't wait to DDOS people's guns
>>
>>29779861
WRONG gun violence is NOT just violence with a gun.

GUN VIOLENCE IS SUICIDES, LAWFUL SELF DEFENSE WITH FIREARMS, POLICE SHOOTINGS, AND ACCIDENTS! THOSE ARE ALL IN GUN VIOLENCE!
>>
>>29780171
good luck I got my gun behind seven proxies
>>
>>29780175
Suicides account for more than 50% too and we have normal suicide rates for a developed country. Shows how dumb libtards really are.
>>
>>29779737
>And guns are the tools of the problem, they need to be controlled for whom can have them
This is racist.
>>
File: sage.jpg (226 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
sage.jpg
226 KB, 1024x768
>>29779759
Like that wasn't clear from the very beginning.
>>
>>29779572
Making them optional wouldn't. Making them mandatory would. They solve almost nothing and would amount to a massive waste of money.
>>
>>29779737
I rip out the stuff that let's them turn it off check m8 athiests
>>
>>29780171
ya dun goofed. im calling the cyber police on you
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 680x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 680x402
>>29780283
Nice try, I'm hacking you right now fucker
>>
It's retarded. It's just one more thing on your gun that could potentially malfunction.
>>
>>29779947
guns are simple and you regularly take them apart. no one is going to buy a gun with fuckin gun lojack on it. and if they try to slip it in, you'll catch it when you disassemble it.
seriously, now that we have 80% glock lowers, and you can mill your own firing pins and parts, it's a stupid, expensive, and pointless cause
>>
>>29779572
Your first logical error is assuming that there's a gun problem. Everything derived from that is erroneous.

But, to answer your flawed question, until the military starts routinely issuing smart guns there's no need for the citizenry to have them. An argument could even be made that smart guns are unconstitutional.
>>
Kojima warned us about this
>>
>>29779796
:^)
>>
>>29779737
Do they gave an E-striker?

It's doesn't seem that hard to make it fire, criminals who steal it will use.
>>
>>29779572
>its not infringing on your rights
>its just infringing on your rights

fuck off cunt
>>
File: shall not be infringed.jpg (65 KB, 430x333) Image search: [Google]
shall not be infringed.jpg
65 KB, 430x333
>>29779572

>gun problem?
>problem
>>
>>29779572
I do love that even their best solution to "the gun problem" is more guns.
>>
No one posted this yet, really?

https://youtu.be/OeHgrf5z4C0?t=267
>>
>>29779572
Reliable as chinese plastic.
>>
Fucking gay, would not survive solar flare or emp/10
>>
>>29779572
EMP
I don't normally thread myself, but
>/thread
>>
The only smart gun usage I see actually being adopted by anyone is the concept of tracking usage only for maintenance purposes and even if that system dies it does not impact the core function of the firearm.
>>
File: 83.jpg (36 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
83.jpg
36 KB, 300x100
>>29779572
what gun problem?
>>
File: 1347655440074.png (35 KB, 274x186) Image search: [Google]
1347655440074.png
35 KB, 274x186
>>29779786

If the military adopted it I would start to panic because that means the Patriots are real.
>>
File: 1427222392131.jpg (322 KB, 700x1690) Image search: [Google]
1427222392131.jpg
322 KB, 700x1690
>>
File: 1456131854057.jpg (17 KB, 286x405) Image search: [Google]
1456131854057.jpg
17 KB, 286x405
>>29779572
Go play MGS4 and see how dumb ID locked firearms are, and how it doesn't matter anyways if you know the right person.
>>
>>29779637
>>29779720
>>29780629
>>29783318
>>29781894
The FIRST thing i thought of when i first heard about this.
>>
File: M56_Smart_Gun_diagram[1].jpg (142 KB, 640x406) Image search: [Google]
M56_Smart_Gun_diagram[1].jpg
142 KB, 640x406
The only smart gun /k/ would approve of is pic related.
>>
File: Cops vs. 2nd amendment.png (2 MB, 624x1660) Image search: [Google]
Cops vs. 2nd amendment.png
2 MB, 624x1660
>>29779572

I hope Obama makes the cops use these damned things, a few of them will get killed because their fucking gun didn't work and then we won't have to hear about this stupid bullshit again.
>>
>>29779572
>BANG
>BANG
>CRASH
>home invader breaking in to rape and kill my family
>grab my trusty smart gun from my bedside
>slide to unlock on the built-in touchscreen a couple times until it works
>type in my PIN on the keypad
>mistyped it
>fuck
>password reset in process
>reconnect smart gun to my Facebook account
>look down the barrel for retinal scan (it's OK, because the gun is smart)
>hear the intruder downstairs, he's broken in
>Siri asks for voice confirmation by having me say "The Second Amendment means that the people have the right to keep and bear arms in a state militia."
>repeat it
>"I'm sorry, I had trouble understanding you. Can you say it again?"
>say it louder this time
>"Thank you, your new smart gun will be activated soon. Waiting for server... signal lost."
>wave the gun around the bedroom until I get good service and it finishes registering
>hear kids screaming in the background
>"I'm sorry, your current geolocation is not at a federally approved firing range. If your life is currently in danger, please press one. Para espanol, oprima numero dos."
>press one, get auto-enrolled in a payment plan for "emergency firearm use fee"
>thug bursts through the bedroom door
>quickly point the smart gun at him
>FUCK
>he's black
>the smart gun's computer vision disallows firing on targets with more melanin than the owner
>system puts me in a queue to get manual human override from a remote government office
>the thug raises his own old-fashioned gun
>doesn't even look like it has social media integration built into it
>"all of our agents are currently busy, your estimated wait time is... 40... minutes... your life is important to us, please hold"
>BANG
>>
>>29779572
We live in an age where people regularly jail break iPhones. People will jail break their guns too.

Also this won't solve the issue of violence at all. You want to reduce crime, then clean up the poverty stricken shitholes where it happens all the time.
>>
reliability and cost becomes an issue
>>
I'm biting.

Murder is already illegal.
People that don't follow laws don't care if guns are legal or not
>>
>>29779572
>batteries
>easily faked radio signal
>easily dismantled
>only available in .22
>fucking batteries
>costs like 2 grand
yeah i wonder
>>
>>29779572
I'll think about buying one when they are standard issue for police. If they police don't trust them then why should I?
>>
>>29779572
And the source you use is the leftest of the leftist media horseshit. If you believe NBC on anything gun related then I suggest you also watch Fox News for their hard hitting and reality grounded counterpoint to typical media bias.

And as for smartguns... Man how hard do you have to shill? Really? Starting are a really dumb idea for one particular reason: they aren't smart. If you add electronics to an item that is used to make explosions, chances are those electronics will break. Add in the fact that most people can't make their blue tooth work perfectly all the time anyway,AND the first thing police will do once smart guns are mandatory is demand jammers for any smart gun tech.
>be anon, Inna mall
>CCing the brand new Colt "Brainiac" smartgun in .45
>suddenly a wild douchebag appears wielding a full auto SBR.
>he guns down a couple innocents and you get trapped
>by this point mall Security gets on the phone to PD who authorize them to use the mall's free Wi-Fi service to send out a jamming signal to try and stop the shooters spree
The police of course will have guns that either don't have the tech or have an override function
>criminal type has pre-smartgun weapons and keeps blasting
>your very expensive smartgun just became a very expensive paper weight.
>or even worse, it's not even Wi-Fi controlled but your grip isn't exactly perfect and the gun cant read your print properly and locks
>instead of being a grey man sheepdog and protector of your fellow man like you had hoped you take a 556x45, or a .223, or to the face.

See the problem? It's not about ideology. It's not about clinging to "obsolete" philosophies(though the Second Amendment is needed now more than any other time in history). It's about the fact that technology fails, often at the worst time it could. It's about the fact that it's another level of control being placed by a callous and misguided government. It's about the fact that smartgun tech is a free ticket to gun owners
>>
>>29784819
>free ticket to gun owners
To collect on Darwin awards any time their lives are threatened by those who choose to act out criminal behaviors.
>>
>>29779572
I don't wear a watch on my right hand...
>>
>>29779796
It could be and probably will be connected to the internet some day. Assuming it actually takes off.
>>
>>29779572
I don't want to lay dying bleeding to death while Jamal and Tyron rape my wife.
Nor do I want to be lined up agaisnt a wall and shot because Big Brother disabled my gun before becoming tyrannical.
>>
>>29779737
>remotely deactivate guns

Lmao at your computer knowledge. While it's technically possible to do that, the implications of having to keep a secure database that could have insane implications if ever compromised. Not to mention you would have to keep the guns wirelessly connected to this database wherever they are used. This would mean you need a cellular, sattelite, or wifi wherever you're going to use it.

If this were to happen, the information would be stored locally on the gun and user shit would be verified against that. If cops want to fuck you from shooting people they will just use an EMP device before moving in on you.

I will give you that this would help prevent stolen guns, but shit will always be at risk to be hacked.
>>
>>29779572
Sounds like it's setting up for getting raped when the damn thing doesn't work.
>>
File: terminal bait.png (65 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
terminal bait.png
65 KB, 550x550
>>29779572
>>29779737

Why do we make these threads?
Just to suffer?
>>
>>29779572
Because i can make it work without the electronics.
>>
>>29779572
Any increase in complexity lowers the reliability of a machine, especially when said machine is brand new technology, like "smart guns". You'd be putting the lives of people at risk who want to use guns for self defense.

The point of this device is to make it harder for criminals to steal guns, this is utterly ridiculous, the device isn't going to be impossible to disable, in fact I think most people could easily figure it out.

Finally, I'll get a little bit tinfoil hat here, but it's probably partially true. The real reason this is being pushed is to make guns more expensive so that the poor can't afford to own guns, an unarmed poor is far more easier to manipulate and control than an armed one. Just look at Europe or Asia.
>>
>>29779572
>Tell me /K/ how are smart guns not the answer to America's gun problem?

because the technology is unreliable and extremely expensive
>>
>>29785659
>muh mechanical complexity
>muh 3rd grade level understanding of electronics

Smart guns are fucking dumb but the "complexity" argument belongs in the trash.
>>
>>29785675
well sure increased complexity isn't necessarily a hallmark of unreliability, it really depends on how it's done. But lets look at similar attempts by the liberal party to make guns more "Safer", such as safeties slapped onto designs that never had them before, such as certain tokarev variants that were imported here, it's trash, and clearly something that was just slapped onto the gun. If the same kind of people that did those types of safeties decided to also do these "smart guns" I'd say they would be pretty unreliable.

Thank you for your addition though, I'm sure it was very enlightening to some people, like autists (Read as you)
>>
>>29785675
my iPhone 6s routinely misses my fingerprint because of cheeto dust or whatever. wtf you talmbout nigger there may be better arguments but this is definitely one.
>>
>>29779572

first off

>gun problem

other things I see wrong with this would be

>more to go wrong in emergencies

>consecrating yet more power in the hands of an organization of questionable history, ethics, and nature

>slippery slope
>>
>>29785765
and your iPhone is a shitty smartphone with a shitty fingerprint reader built in. You think actual biometric scanners fall prey to fucking cheeto dust?
>>
>>29785829
I use a top of the line biometric finger print scanner for my job. It gets fucked up if my hands have dirt or swear on them. Eat a dick, boi
>>
>>29785971
>eat a dick

Is this supposed to be offensive?
>>
>You can still buy and own guns... until someone else decides to just turn them off on you

Eat my ass OP. I don't care if that particular "feature" isn't in place in your picture, it would be the next logical step to just allow the government to shut your weapons off at will.
>>
>>29785983
No, it's simply a suggestion
>>
File: 1449970142771.jpg (32 KB, 552x624) Image search: [Google]
1449970142771.jpg
32 KB, 552x624
>>29779572
>It's not infringing on your rights at all!

>>29779737
>the right to bear arms is an outdated idea

>mfw
>>
>>29779572
No they aren't, there's a reason you don't see a lot of transistors on the battlefield.

America has some, but they are extremely expensive.
>>
File: ThruNite TN15.jpg (336 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
ThruNite TN15.jpg
336 KB, 1382x778
>>29779572
YOU ARE FORGETTING THE BIGGEST FUCKING PROBLEM

WHY DOES MY GUN NEED BATTERIES?
It already needs ammo!
>>
>>29786042
Thanks for the tip friend
>>
File: 1407905335547.jpg (78 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1407905335547.jpg
78 KB, 604x604
>>29779859
>>
File: buzz_lightyear.jpg (38 KB, 400x504) Image search: [Google]
buzz_lightyear.jpg
38 KB, 400x504
>>29786105
Git to it then
>>
>>29780492
hmm

Are those Glock frames any good?
If they're worthwhile I'd like to complete one, but if it's shitty it wouldn't be worthwhile.
>>
File: 1388679511132.png (5 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1388679511132.png
5 KB, 400x400
>>29779572
Does this mean the ATF will allow electrically fired weapons?

Because if so, you can carry a 9 volt in your shirt pocket to blast off some full auto.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.