[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't Remington free float the 700? It could be a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: free float.jpg (134 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
free float.jpg
134 KB, 1200x800
Why doesn't Remington free float the 700? It could be a good rifle if they did.
>>
>>29773699

Don't need to do that to hunt a durr, kiddo.
>>
>>29773699
The 700 is the cheapo alternative to good rifles like the Model 70 so there needs to be a solid price difference to sell. Remington sells more accurate variants and needs room to mark them up too.
>>
free float is the least of the problems that would need to be fixed.
>>
The stocks aren't good enough to do that, and the expensive ones have free floating barrels.

Hogue rubber sucks dick. The HSprecision stock models are good.
>>
>>29773929
What are the other problems?

>>29774427
How is free floating more expensive than a pressure point? All you have to do is shave a few millimeters of wood out of the barrel channel.
>>
>>29773917
cheapo? but my ruger american has a free floated barrel
>>
>protip

Freefloating, while not a buzzword, is a buzzword when used by people like you. There are a number of factors that come into play when it comes to accurizing a rifle, and free floating is a fairly small one in the grand scheme of things. Tikka T3, for example, is not free floating by design. The stock has a pressure point just forward of the chamber area that is meant to touch the barrel for that particular stock
>>
>>29774508
Pressure points are a bigger problem with wood stocks because the wood can warp and change the point of impact.
>>
>>29773929
runout on the receiver face, and threads. runout on the barrel shoulder, and threads.

the bolt. ( I wonder why there is such an aftermarket on Rem700 bolts)

the fact that on the lower priced ( reed the ones people buy like op picture) the barrel and bore have concentricty and problems, less than desirable rifilng/tool marks, and sloppy chambers designed to work with a wide range of factory loads, ( ok i can forgive this as they dont know what people will load in them, where as most custom barrels are chambered for one loading like Federal Match ammo)
>>
>>29774450
Rubber and cheap plastic are not stiff enough to float a barrel in. You need a fiberglass, wooden, or similarly constructed stock.
>>
>>29774565
>ok i can forgive this as they dont know what people will load in them, where as most custom barrels are chambered for one loading like Federal Match ammo)

You were doing pretty well until this

Everyone uses Saami spec chambers
It's the dogshit barreling techniques they use that create a shitty throat, not their chamber dimensions
>>
>>29774508
you're supposed to bed an inch up the chamber section, so yeah
>>
>>29773881
So you dont hunt? Ever? You vegeterian faggot?
>>
>>29774711
Yes every one uses sami on chambers, that doesn't mean you can chamber and throat for a specific load.

For example. in 6.5 creedmoor, the goto is to chamber and throat the rifle for the 140gr hornady. To give the 140gn the ideal amount of freebore before the rifling.

Same thing is done on match guns with 308 for the 168 federal match, or the 155 palma or the sammi spec.

example
308 Win ( SAAMI Spec. )
308 Win Match .340 nk
308 Win 1995 Palma

from a barrel maker. who chambers for all three
>>
>>29773699
Some rifles shoot better pressure pointed than free floated, and since it's easier to take the contact points out than it is to put them in...
>>
>>29774508
The M14/M1A and most lever actions are examples of rifles that benefit from pressure points as well.
>>
>>29775032
G3s benefit from pressure points, while the similar PSG1 benefits from a free floating barrel. Not all rifles need them to get their jobs done...
>>
>>29773699
They do.

That's a Hogue stock. It's bendy rubber-coated garbage, it will never free float on any gun of any model.

Put the Rustington in a non-shit stock.
>>
>>29774508
Tikka is free floated. I own one.

>>29774578
Remington 700s are made with wooden stocks, but they are not free floating.

>>29774938
A bolt action hunting rifle is best floated.
>>
>>29773917
Oh my god. Are you me??

I've been saying this shit for the last 5 years.

I also just inherited my grandfathers pre-64 model 70 like two weeks ago
>>
>>29776321
Most of Remington's premium line don't come with a true free floated barrel.
OP's picture for the most part IS Remington's free floated barrel.
>>
>>29776377
The barrel isn't wonky, hanging off the receiver at an angle.
Rather, the stock is a wobbly, bendable piece of shit. It will never free float with such a shitty stock.
If you took that exact gun and put it in an even halfway decent stock, anything even remotely solid, the barrel would float freely.

"Free floating" isn't a verb or a procedure. It's a descriptor, as in "the barrel is free floating within the stock." It's a byproduct of the barrel, receiver and stock simply being lined up, and that's no longer achieved by hogging out material from the stock to make room for the barrel (what is this, 1963?), but by simply not having an off-center stock like a Hogue.

tl;dr Unless the barrel of a rifle is SERIOUSLY bent out of whack, it is perfectly in line with the receiver and only needs a solid stock to float freely.
>>
File: 1400028710706.gif (502 KB, 300x166) Image search: [Google]
1400028710706.gif
502 KB, 300x166
>>29774816
>>
>>29774840
Yeah and Rem 700s don't even come close to qualifying as "match" guns
>>
>>29776461
You can free float (verb) a rifle with sandpaper

I've done it quite a few times on old guns
>>
>>29773699
>TACTICAL RIFLING

Tell Remington I just found another reason to hate them.
>>
>>29776338
No, it isn't. I own one too. Your dollar bill will not touch the receiver. Just forward of the chamber area the stock has a pillar that touches the barrel.
>>
File: 17irm3aog8fyyjpg.jpg (34 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
17irm3aog8fyyjpg.jpg
34 KB, 636x358
>>29773699
Remember to tip well at the range
>>
>>29773917

Ruger Americans typically run cheaper than 700s and still have free floating barrels.
>>
>>29777585
Yeah Ruger Americans also come equipped with plastic stocks I can feel bending in my hands. If they had pressure points, even using a sling would fuck up the point of aim.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.