[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reenacting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: big_35675594_0_600-352.jpg (82 KB, 600x352) Image search: [Google]
big_35675594_0_600-352.jpg
82 KB, 600x352
What does /k/ think of reenacting? How hard is it to get into it? How much time/money is needed to get started originally?
>>
>>29772452
I reenact a few things and the cost varies greatly for them.
>>
Here is me and a few members of my group doing Soviet Armored sapper impression.
>>
>>29773446
What kinds of things do you reenact and what is cost for each?
>>
>>29773558
I do Soviet WWII, American army Vietnam, A bit of WWI.. contrary to popular belief, Soviet isn't very cheap if you do it right. I probably am 2100 dollars into that one. But you can start for just a few hundred and still be correct. I would say 3 to 400 dollars.
>>
>>29772452

what period are you interested in? what impression?

its more expensive to say, reenact WWII as Heer than it is as say, brit para.
>>
>>29773642
i was thinking revolutioanry war british, but also maybe some ww2 soviet/german. CA area if that helps. I have some slav gear but no period guns, and nothing for british
>>
>>29773667
Rev war british is expensive as fuuck to do it correct.
>>
>>29773667

shame you arent in the midwest, I do rev war brit.

Getting kitted up head to toe is not cheap, but you should be able to find a unit that can loan you gear as you get into the hobby - you can buy things as you go. Time wise, that will vary unit to unit, some seem to require meetings at least once a month or more, others are fine if you just show up to events.
>>
>>29773692
>>29773693
damn, any rough estimate how much it will set me back on the long term?
>>
>>29773731
You gonna have to tax a lot of tea
>>
>>29773692
>Rev war british is expensive as fuuck to do it correct.
Adds to the authenticity.
>>
I asked a colonial reanactor what it would take to get into it.

Alot.

To do full on period correct shit they have a lot of restrictions.

Theyll help you get started with the clothing and such. But guns and weapons are expensive.

I kind of lost interest after that conversation.
>>
File: 1457217754239-k.jpg (81 KB, 625x833) Image search: [Google]
1457217754239-k.jpg
81 KB, 625x833
>>29773756
kek
>>
File: 18003_lg.jpg (248 KB, 557x650) Image search: [Google]
18003_lg.jpg
248 KB, 557x650
>>29773731

well that depends on whether you know someone savvy at sewing or not, or if you can sew yourself.

It's hard to estimate precisely but a full kit, from cocked hat to shoes is going to run you something like $1500 not including musket

>yfw filthy rebels call a rooty tooty point and shooty a "gun"
>>
>>29773810
what kind of restrictions? did they mean the 1768 regulations or something else?
>>
>>29773873
oh thats not too much for me, especially if im going to phase out from borrowing to owning in a couple years. i was worried it would be in multi-thousands. do you have to buy and bring your own powder too or is it provided for you?
>>
>>29773885
You'll get turned away if you have the wrong kind of stitch on the inner fold of your undermost garment.
I don't do re-enacting, but I do SCA which is kind of the retarded mongrel child of re-enacting and LARPing. It's much easier there for a poorfag like me.
>>
>>29773901

They may provide it but they'll expect you to pay for it, black powder isnt too expensive, its finding it that's hard. The industry standard Brown Bess reproduction is made by Pedersoli and they run about $1000 these days. You can find them used though, usually around $700.

So, full uniform and kit plus musket is about $2500-$3000. You'll eventually want to buy a tent most likely, and mess gear, extra clothes etc.
>>
>>29773906

most groups arent that anal. as long as youre preiod accurate for the years the war occured most people are fine. Sure, hand stitched is more accurate, but most people machine stitch and you cant really notice unless you're within inches of someones uniform. it doesnt look farby.
>>
>>29773938
gotcha, thanks for the help! where do you usually buy this stuff? jas townsend or somekind of laotian knitting board?
>>
>>29773962

jas townsend, najecki, there are a buttload of guys that make and sell stuff, usually see them at the bigger events. we make a lot of stuff in my unit, you can buy patterns for everything, we even do leatherwork.
>>
>>29773956
I'll have to take your word, partner. Almost all of the people that I've talked to about it said it was really bad. Now almost all of them are also SCA so they could easily have a bias.
>>
>>29773938
>pedersoli brown bess
>sport target shooting
>mfw doing 3 gun with brace of flintlocks and 10 besses draped over your shoulder
yes please
>>
>>29773995

I dont know anything about SCA, but brit rev war is pretty cool. like i said, as long as your impression is befitting what would have been seen during the war, they're ok with it. if things are out of proportion or youve clearly used the wrong materials - sure theyll get booty bothered.
>>
>>29773990
alright, how do i actually find a unit? any good characteristics that make a good one?
>>
>>29774023

I've taken my flintlocks to outdoor ranges, people always get a kick out of that, we've also gone to a shooting club and done live fire volley fire at big cardboard targets. lots of fun.

we may or may not have gotten drunk and shot glow sticks out of our bess' into a lake once at an event.
>>
>>29773507
You all the niggas from Illinois?
>>
I really want to shoot 3-gun with WWII GI gear and guns. I have the Garand and the 1911, I just need to find a decent trench gun for non-anal gouging prices. Repro would be fine too, but Norinco seems to be the only one in that market and they're b&.

I just want to see the faces at the shoot when all the tryhards with their gucci ARs and shit see me roll up with a steel pot, bandoleer and gaiters.

Also the swap to a Vietnam style one wouldnt be hard either seeing as I already have a M16A1 styled rifle, and the other two could carry over. Just swap out the uniform with a flak jacket and "born to feel" and Id be set.
>>
>>29772452
I always was interested in reenacting, but the fact that there is only civil war reenacting and no ww1/2 and the cost really turns me away
>>
>>29774611
*in my area
>>
Requesting the greentext about an anon using a musket at a range while dressed as a reenactor
>>
>>29774697
fuck, thats gonna be the first thing i do when i buy all my reenactor shit. just go to a medium far away range with buddies and fuck shit up
>>
File: zBCPyFd.png (19 KB, 849x373) Image search: [Google]
zBCPyFd.png
19 KB, 849x373
>>29774697
>>
>>29774611
>>29774624

civil war sucks IMO. WWII is some of the most fun I ever had reenacting, but it only seems to be active in the south and in indiana
>>
>>29774915
Thank you anon
>>
>>29774604
If anything, it'd be fun to see.

I've thought about doing a WWI 3 gun myself.
>>
>>29775337

The real problem for all that is that nobody but the US used any shotguns in combat units for that entire war.

I just planned on using a generic SxS or O/U shotgun for the Russkies or Brits, but the Germans never even came close to using them in combat.
>>
Any good places to buy Waffen SS gear? I wanted to gather a historically accurate kit b4 buying the repro stg here in the summer
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.