[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ think of PSA uppers and barrels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: psa upper.jpg (8 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
psa upper.jpg
8 KB, 370x370
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-midlength-5-56-nato-1-7-melonite-freedom-upper-with-bcg-and-ch.html

Building my first AR, looking at this assembly. With the metric fucktons of info on ARs out there I'm not sure what constitutes good or bad. Reviews seem to be positive, but have any of you ever had personal experience with this? Are there any better products in the <$400 range?
>>
One thing I think people get lost in these days of complete market saturation for different gun related parts and accessories, and in fact guns themselves is that sometimes, there literally is no difference.

I am not directing this specifically at you OP, but for the people who will assuredly ask ITT about differences between two mil spec lowers that are the same price, or two pancake holsters that are both of the same quality and same price etc.

Take my local holster manufacturer, KRounds for example. They make, IMO very nice Kydex holsters. Nothing particularly special about them, but they are made just down I5 from me, I like the employees I have interacted with, and the holsters are good quality. However, the difference between a standard KRounds IWB with belt loops and something like the Bladetech Nano, at least, an older one before they moved to their new injection molding plastics (now, whether you want to debate the merits of that vs kydex is another matter) but the price is the same, both are local companies, and both holsters are literally the exact same.

Whos do you want? Like I said, I like KRounds for pretty subjective reasons. Maybe you like Bladetechs duty holsters that KRounds doesn't make. Or maybe you like your local Kydex maker who's bread and butter looks exactly like a Blade tech nano, or Krounds IWB and sells for the same price.
Generally, the common tagline you will hear with PSA is to get the CHF stuff, and stay away from PTAC. Freedom is someplace in between. You can find completed uppers at the same price point (at least when it isn't on sale) all over the place with the same barrel profiles, probably even nitrided as well. etc.

For 319 dollars, I don't think you can go wrong. PSA has a lifetime warranty on all firearms sold by them, and while an upper isn't a firearm, it stands to reason they aren't going to fuck you if you have a problem. They are a reputable company.
>>
>>29770600
>>29770426
TLDR at some point in the world of holsters, sub $800 AR's, ~$150 night sights all using Trijicon lamps, etc. literally a case of eenie meenie miney mo if it is a manufacturer name you have heard of or trust their warranty/customer service etc.
>>
>>29770600
You make several fine points. Thank you for your input.
>>
>>29770749
fwiw

I like Aero precision, since they are also local relative to myself. My buddy has an M4E1, and I think their enhanced barrel nut design is pretty good. If I were to buy one of their completed uppers sans bcg and ch, itd cost me about 150 bucks on top of your PSA choice (when it is regular price)

Is that going to buy me $150 worth of extra utility? Considering I shoot at less than 300 yards most often, will the minor improvements in barrel harmonics really matter that much? Probably not, but based on my own subjective reasons, that is the ~$400 *mostly* complete upper I would buy personally

Get yourself that upper
Find a mil spec lower (Anderson is on sale for like 35 fucking dollars on Primary arms)
CMMG parts kit w/ out trigger
CMMG carbine buffer kit w/standard stock
ALG QMS trigger, or get CMMG w/ trigger and take a few minutes with q tips and mothers polish

You'll be sitting right around 600 bucks if you have to buy everything already (dont know if you have a lower)

or just buy PSA completed and bam you are good to go my nigger
>>
File: grainy pic.jpg (225 KB, 465x774) Image search: [Google]
grainy pic.jpg
225 KB, 465x774
I have a PSA upper assembly, I like it a lot, it does the job. I always hear that the barrels are made by FN, I don't if that's true, though.

I can consistently hit a man sized target at 500 yards with no problem, it's not pretty, it's not the nicest, but it gets the job done.
>>
>>29770969
>made by FN, I don't if that's true, though.
its their premium line they say that about. what makes you say its not? not arguing, im curious
>>
File: shitty pic tbh fam.jpg (197 KB, 1032x581) Image search: [Google]
shitty pic tbh fam.jpg
197 KB, 1032x581
>>29770986
I didn't mean to imply that I think it's not true, I just don't know if it is.
>>
>>29770426
They are trash. The blanks are made from FN barrel blanks, but milled to PSA dimensions. Don't think you are getting a USGI M4 barrel from PSA Premium-dogeshit. Even FN's commerical line is completely non-milspec and they cannot make anything to Colt's/USGovt specs.

tl;dr save your money, buy a real deal Colt or LMT; companies that actually know what they are doing.
>>
>>29770426
I just ordered one, seems fine.
>>
Mine has been rock solid.
Got the CHF premium kit.
>>
I have 2 of these and they are excellent for the price. As accurate as expected, and the bore and barrel clean easily.

My only gripe is the front handguards are oval-shaped (wider top to bottom than left to right). Easy fix though. Very solid for the price.
>>
File: Psaa15.jpg (943 KB, 1719x1017) Image search: [Google]
Psaa15.jpg
943 KB, 1719x1017
I've got a PTAC and a premium. They both shoot about the same. I've only got iron sights though.
>>
OP here. bought it.
Now to stock up on ammo
>>
Palmetto is fine. Can you find better products. Yes. In the $400 range? No.

Do you obsess over brand names? Do you need to have the "best" of everything you buy? I don't think you do since you are asking about a $400 upper, but people can be strange. If that does matter, than you should be saving up, or blowing the budget, on a Noveske, Knights, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, or even Colt.

Even then, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one of them and a Palmetto.

>>29770969
Don't you think if it weren't true, FN would have sued their ass into oblivion by now? I didn't check that upper, but I don't think FN does melonite, so its probably a Premium line thing.
>>
>>29771402
I thought PTAC was seriously shit...I read that on more than just /k/
>>
>>29772131
I guess I got lucky. I've got 500 rounds of steel cased through it no problems. Everyone said PTAC bolts were garbage too, but it looks the same as my premium.
>>
>>29772131

I have a PTAC basic bitch 16" upper and a premium CHF heavy barrel upper.

The premium CHF upper works great, but they weren't fucking kidding about it being a heavy barrel, I may have made a mistake. It's decently accurate, doesn't look terrible, and has been unfalteringly reliable, though I do keep it pretty clean.

The PTAC upper is shit. It's undergassed or something, it often fails to cycle with normal 5.56, regularly fails to cycle .223, and will not ever cycle .223 steel case.

At least it usually manages to eject the spent casing rather than jamming outright. It's basically a straight pull bolt action on the best of days.

I replaced the gas block, but I've not really tried it since.

But I guess that's what $180 for a complete upper with bcg gets you
>>
>>29772293
What is the PTAC? Unlined carbine? I'm also curious when you got it
>>
File: 1459626956814.jpg (64 KB, 460x690) Image search: [Google]
1459626956814.jpg
64 KB, 460x690
>>29771042
>anderson lower
>PSA upper

mein negar
>>
>>29772313

Got it about two, maybe three years ago. Before they had their "Freedom" series rifles.

It was a 16" midlength PTAC upper with magpul foregrip, a regular front sight post, forward assist, and top rail. Came with a somewhat shady BCG.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.