[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help Selecting an AR for a noob
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: fn 15.png (99 KB, 520x337) Image search: [Google]
fn 15.png
99 KB, 520x337
I've been lurking /k/ for a couple years now and have accumulated a lot of milsurp, but now want to move into capable modern rifles. I already have a 6601 Colt HBAR Match with the fixed A2 carry handle, but would like a shorter, optics ready carbine. I would like the following characteristics

>good for plinking out to 200 yards
>optic ready with a top rail
>durable for SHTF, even if a little accuracy is lost
>must be an HBAR due to MD law
>fed using 55gr generic brass case ammo

I live close to a shop that specializes in AR's (Fox's Firearms in Columbia, MD) and they suggested that I buy a FN HBAR 1776 AR. It has a 16" Chrome Lined CMP 1/7 Heavy Barrel, CMP BCG. Pic related. They are selling it for $850.

Is this a good option or should I buy something else? Prefer to stay at $1000 or less for the rifle. Recommendations for optics are also appreciated as I have never owned or used a scope before.

Was thinking about trading in my Hakim to lower the cost of the gun.
>>
ar15s are all the same just grab one off the rack
>>
>>29768672
>durable for SHTF

Stop doing this, please.
>>
File: rifle grandpa.jpg (23 KB, 236x301) Image search: [Google]
rifle grandpa.jpg
23 KB, 236x301
>>29768685

We both know that's not true

>>29768691

SHTF has already happened in MD with the AWB. No AK, no FAL, no M1A, etc. No idea if they will come for the HBAR's or not. Trying to buy something that will last for years and years in case HBAR's get banned too.

Anyway, is the twist rate good for light projectiles? I read they're good for heavy bullets. Also, is chrome worth it? Does it last a lot longer or cause a large decrease in accuracy?

Please help
>>
File: 1460396501681.jpg (381 KB, 3000x1987) Image search: [Google]
1460396501681.jpg
381 KB, 3000x1987
Bumping with Murica

/k/ sticky didn't help much
>>
Also, should I get something with a full length rail for back up flip up sights or is this just a meme? I want to primarily use optics
>>
File: 1459821791332.jpg (611 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
1459821791332.jpg
611 KB, 1440x960
Still bumping
>>
File: iu.png (96 KB, 799x654) Image search: [Google]
iu.png
96 KB, 799x654
>>29768798
It might be nice to at least have cowitness with a front sight if your optics break or the battery dies and it's the last one on earth or something, but it's not the hugest deal.

The thing with ARs, especially carbines, is that it's really easy to make them front heavy. I don't like to put too much shit on the front end (including things like quad rails) until I know I need it. A free float handguard will improve your accuracy/precision, but even then you may want to shoot it a while to see if you need it for your purposes.

>>29768725
>Anyway, is the twist rate good for light projectiles? I read they're good for heavy bullets.
See pic related. 1:7 will work just fine for 55gr but performs better with heavier rounds. This is one of those "extra bit of precision" things for tightening up your groups and frankly if you're looking for a lightweight plinking/SHTF carbine I don't think you need to worry about it.

>Also, is chrome worth it? Does it last a lot longer or cause a large decrease in accuracy?
Chrome lined is the best compromise between accuracy and barrel/chamber durability. Unless you're building a benchrest safe queen I'd say it's worth it.

Again, it sounds like you're not exactly trying to get sub MOA out of this rifle. The dot on your optic may even be bigger than the differences in precision you're affecting with these choices.
>>
>>29768672
Fn makes good ars and that one will be more than fine however I would suggest one of their more modern options with a free float rail, although I do not know the legality of the barrel profile on those in MD. If you have to get a plastic hand guard hbar model I would get one with an a2 front sight with a flip up/down rear incase something happens. Then get a aimpoint pro/t2 or acog or tr24 depending on needs budget. good luck kommando.
>>
Honestly, shop around for complete uppers and stripped lowers online. Then youtube how to slap it together. You can make it to your liking for pretty cheap and there's so much competition out there that most parts in the lower price point are really comparable/decent
>>
>>29768672
>no front sight post
>no rail to attach front sight if you want backup irons
Garbage. Find a Colt AR6721 if you need an HBAR.
>>
I don't mean to hijack your thread OP, but I am working on a similar project. Does anyone know if Whtie Oak barrels are any good? How about Sionics? What other barrels should I be looking at in the $200-300 range?
>>
>>29768672
dude, if you already have a rifle, just slap an upper on your existing lower and call it a day.
>>
Protip OP

A2 fsb literally not in the same focal plane when talking about blocking a magnified optic. Even on 3x, you will see a grayish haze in the bottom area of a magnified optic that you literally have to look for to find and realize its the fsb

If you are the kind of goddamn fucktard who puts 3 riser mounts to "clear the front sight"

just kill yourself

4 power and above?? literally not even fucking visible
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.