[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Habu.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: SR -71.jpg (44 KB, 650x432) Image search: [Google]
SR -71.jpg
44 KB, 650x432
The greatest plane ever built. The coolest plane ever built. The closest piece of technology that mankind has ever built which captures the Spirit of a Dragon. I see a squadron of F-22’s fly over and I am impressed, I see one of these and my Soul is awed. Jet fighters et al are something else but this is SOMETHING ELSE.

There is no close contender for second after this plane, except, by virtue of Operation Chastise being an Operation which was as close to impossible as it was possible to get, whilst succeeding, then the Avro Lancaster being the piece of equipment used in this Operation then it can justifiably claim second.

Certainly there is no clear contender for third. Good work America, shame it’s not still flying though.
>>
File: mig.jpg (276 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
mig.jpg
276 KB, 2560x1440
slightly slower, infinitely more practical
>>
I have a coffee cup with the stat on it
>>
>>29768435
>An interceptor is more """""practical"""""
than a recon plane

Yes and a bulldozer is more practical than a backhoe

kys retard
>>
>>29768630
You say that like it's somehow unreasonable that it can do both.

You know fast aircraft have historically been used for reconnaissance too? Some of the first dedicated reconnaissance aircraft were Spitfires with the cannons stripped out of them.
>>
>>29768630
The SR-71 started as an interceptor.
>>
File: hmm.gif (875 KB, 250x231) Image search: [Google]
hmm.gif
875 KB, 250x231
>>29768435
>an interceptor that eats it's own engines is more practical than a recon plane that is faster without destroying itself
>>
>>29768679
Not really, that was more a spin-off of its predecessor.
>>
>>29768630
foxbat was an interceptor AND a recon plane
>>29768715
it doesn't eat engines unless you exceed the design speed.
>>
File: Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg (2 MB, 5100x3996) Image search: [Google]
Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg
2 MB, 5100x3996
>>29768033
>The greatest plane ever built.
Indubitably YES!

This, along with the Apollo project, was a crowning achievement when the US could deliver. Kelly Johnson and his heros wrought a miracle at a time when slide rulers were used, where almost everything was new:
- a titanium hull (bonus: ore sourced from the Soviet)
- a new engine burning a new fuel
- designed for long distance flights on afterburner
- also the project ran at great speed: from Gary Powers was downed to the Blackbird commanded the skies took only about 65 years.
- capable of hammering through Soviet airspace along the full length and with utter impunity
- never shot down

Then, something happened, I do not know what. Some kind of rot set in. Space project failed, space shuttles exploding killing two crews. New fighter projects out of control. US relying on Russia to get crew to ISS. And more.

So Blackbird is a true MONUMENT to a greater era when men were men and they delivered the goods.
>>
>>29769356
>Then, something happened,

MBAs took over at think tanks and started dictating doctrine to the Pentagon and NASA.
>>
>>29768435
> infinitely more practical
Infinitely less majestic.
>>
I think it has less traction here on /k/ because it is a nogunz.
>>
>>29768033
>Operation Chastise
No Murricans ever challenge that this was the GOATest aviation combat mission in history. They would if it wasn't, therefore, it was. I am glad that this is official now.
>>
>>29769356
Yuh huh. A mindblowing piece of kit.
>>
File: Avro_Lancaster_B_Mk_II_ExCC.jpg (117 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Avro_Lancaster_B_Mk_II_ExCC.jpg
117 KB, 1024x768
>>29771783
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.