[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you own a sword Anon? Swords beat guns in mel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: samurai sword.jpg (5 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
samurai sword.jpg
5 KB, 300x300
Why don't you own a sword Anon? Swords beat guns in melee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3037356/Hacked-pieces-Samurai-sword-burglars-got-unpleasant-surprise-victim-fought-back.html
>4 burglars invaded a home armed with handguns in Argentina
>home owner pulled out his samurai sword and cleaved them apart
>they fled, crashed their car, got caught
>>
>>29766356
Miyamoto Musashi is still alive
>>
>>29766356
Because my gun prevents me from ever needing to melee.
>>
File: garandwithpoker.jpg (146 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
garandwithpoker.jpg
146 KB, 640x480
>>29766356
America made a countermeasure. Pretty effective too. Plus ours has 8 long range shots of 7.62.
>>
>>29766371
>.30-06

ftfy
>>
>>29766371
Ffs is it your first day here?
>>
>>29766375
>>29766381
I though the Naval variant was developed during WW2 for some reason, which fired 7.62. Looked it up and it was made in 59, and was apparently an experimental design.

Though a couple of them are for sale on various sites.
>>
>>29766356
Somehow I doubt all 4 were armed.

Sorry Katana Jones but I could see if one guy did and he got the drop on him then started slicing the rest. But if all 4 had a gun there's no way mall ninja is going to slice up all 4 like an anime cut scene.

Also, I'm pretty sure I could buttstock most katana weebs to the face, at least the ones that visit this website.
>>
>>29766443
It says that they were armed with two pistols. The Katana guy was apparently 49yo and the burglars were young. If the attacker is fast enough and the burglars cowardly enough, I can see this happen due to the psychological effect. There is a reason why bayonets were popular for such a long time; not because they were deadlier than the musket or rifle, but more terrifying. When your enemy is mounting a bayonet, he gives the following statement: "I see you brought a firearm. Good for you. Now me and my 300 buddies will charge across this open field to stab you to death with relatively blunt blades while screaming blood and murder. You can get a few of us, but not all." The katana wasn't the deciding factor here; an oven poker thing would have worked similarily. It was all about psychology.
>>
>>29766356

Guns beat swords at close range.
Stop getting your weapon knowledge from anime.
>>
File: Katana attack.jpg (68 KB, 634x356) Image search: [Google]
Katana attack.jpg
68 KB, 634x356
>>29766536
>katana wasn't the deciding factor
Bruh
>>
Ever heard of the 20 ft. rule? Where the time it takes to draw your sidearm an attacker with a melee weapon can move 20 ft. The katana is actually an ok idea.
>>
>>29766547
Wat appened ther?
>>
>>29766578
They got cut up so bad the car bled and crashed itself.
>>
I think a short sword is a good home defense weapon, as compared to a longer sword, due to hallways and ceilings. However, I would prefer a firearm, a melee weapon as backup only.
>>
>>29766572

First of all, it's the 21 foot rule.
Second of all, that has nothing to do with knives/swords, and everything to do with a prepared opponent vs an unprepared one.
All things being equal, the gun is obviously superior.
>>
>>29766572

The attacker would always have the advantage of initiative. If he picks a handgun, he just wouldn't have to run 20ft in order to get to his target. A handgun is all around the deadlier weapon.
>>
>>29766364
The gun is only as fast as your greasy hamburger fingers. Nippon steel is as fast as lightning and silent as the wind~~~~
>>
File: 1401768134214.jpg (81 KB, 1000x587) Image search: [Google]
1401768134214.jpg
81 KB, 1000x587
The power of 12 gauge compels you to leave!
>>
>>29766772
The sword is only as fast as your greasy hamburger hands can swing it
>>
Anybody who played Rising Storm knows this shit bruh
>>
File: 20160421_175949-1.jpg (3 MB, 3095x1616) Image search: [Google]
20160421_175949-1.jpg
3 MB, 3095x1616
>>29766356
Because I just sold it for $900.
Not bad considering that I bought it last week for $680

This weekend I'm driving across town to look at buying another one. Except this one was traditionally hand forged in the early 1800s. It's got a pretty wild midare hamon. It's in some nice ww2 military mounts. We'll see if it's as nice as the seller claims, if it is, then I'll try to pick it up for $2800 or less.
>>
1897 Trench with bayonet beats sword
>>
>swords beat guns in an area that guns are designed to prevent from happening
Good post op, much knowledge
>>
>>29769173

Age doesn't determine value necessarily for Japanese swords. I own a Kamakura Jidai katana that was cut down from a tachi length sword that's worth less than my Kanbun Wakizashi in Kyu Gunto mounts.
>>
Jetstream Sam origin in the making
>>
>>29766578
>As the car drove away the man turned around and slowly sheathed his katana, the moment it clicked into the sheath, his ability took effect as a grin took over his face. His ability "Invisible Gazillion Light-Speed Strokes" destroyed the car's motor and made the aggressors attack. The man then walked into his house with a confident strut and his trusty demon katana on his belt.
Seriously, didn't you read the article? It's right there in the OP.
>>
>>29766356
>Not already having a katana
>Not already having a naginata
>Not already having a curved sword
>Not already having a swords that's three times longer and three times thicker than a normal sword
It's like you don't want to instill fear into your aggressors.
A gun puts a hole in them but can lead to quick death, a sword can cut and lead to a painful and slow death. [spoiler]Of course, that's true for both, but simple burglars don't know that.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]>Not having both guns and bladed weapons.[/spoiler]
>>
>>29769683
>cut down from a tachi length sword

Well there's a good reason it's worthless. Katanas by design are significantly worsened when damaged anywhere on the blade.
>>
>>29769683
Do you have pictures?

Those are my favorite. The cut down Tachi swords made into katanas.
I've come across a couple of them, but they just weren't what I was looking for.

I also really like the shin gunto mounts. I think it's pretty cool when they take traditional swords and put them in ww2 mounts, it just adds to the history.
>>
you said what about swords beating guns not even in anime https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofkoH4sAVCU
>>
>>29770261
see even anime disagrees about swords usefulness, in modern combat must be true now not like all modern countries could have been wrong
>>
>>29766375
>>29766381
Are you both retarded?
He is right it is 7.62
It's 7.62x63. Just because your retarded doesn't mean what he says it wrong. He may not have intended for it to be the correct cartridge but that doesn't change the fact that what he said is still correct.
Ffs is it your first day here?
>>
File: 1461479520713.jpg (35 KB, 490x367) Image search: [Google]
1461479520713.jpg
35 KB, 490x367
>>29766356

I have a tacticool wakizashi. Does that count as a sword?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.