[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TRAINING OF OFFICERS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10
File: 1461762230670.jpg (73 KB, 720x666) Image search: [Google]
1461762230670.jpg
73 KB, 720x666
I know it might sound a stupid question to you experts. But what is the general curriculum of an officer in training?

I mean, of course officers are tied to their specific duties and also to the type of force they work for (radar officer is not operative officer and is not a naval one).

But there must be some shared basis by all people who have to make both tactical and strategic choices.

What do you do in your West Point classes (or the foreign version of it)? Do you do maths? Do you study specific strategy books? Do you take history classes? Or is it more hand-on? Do you have to know by heart how to make a battle plan? How to choose targets? Who teaches you that? Are there habdbooks the layman can read and have access to?

Or is it more a hand-on thing? With your own unit etc.?

I can read English, French, Spanish and Italian.
So all sources are welcome.

In case my question is ill-stated, please ask me so we can narrow it down this topic. Or if I am saying something wrong, please highlight my mistake (or mistaken mindset).

Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 304x166) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 304x166
>only West Point cadets are officers
>>
>>29757739
Man, I was making an example just to ask "what do you do during training?"

If you are unable to extrapolate my question despite my trivial.mistake, maybe you are not the person who is capable to provide me with answers.
>>
>>29757792
You're right, my 8 years as an Active Duty Army Officer make me the last guy who would be able to answer your question. There are numerous courses which are a mix of field and classroom work that go into officer training
>>
>>29757739
>>29757824
Not OP but what is the training you have to go through because I'm considering ROTC
>>
File: 014.jpg (80 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
014.jpg
80 KB, 800x480
1st year was basic mechanized infantry tactics, with some math,physics,chemistry,CBRN,drill, shooting, laws of armed conflict, philosophy, basic combat engineering, lots of PT and even an etiquette class.
After the first year they split us up and the artillery/air defense guys went to their school, we went to air force school and the grunts remained at theirs so dunno what they studied.
I assume you are asking about the infantry stuff.

t.Eastern Europe
>>
>>29757855
Depends which branch you want to go through ROTC.
>>
>>29757872
>1st year was basic mechanized infantry tactics,
Is this just a list of things? Like, say... an encyclopedia of tactics?
>with some math,physics,chemistry
Ok
>CBRN,
?
>drill, shooting,
Ok
>laws of armed conflict,
Do you mean legal aspects or do you mean "scientific laws"?
>philosophy,
As in "muh Hegelian idealism" or as in "applied ethics, critical thinking, decision theory"?
>basic combat engineering,
Ok
>lots of PT
?
>and even an etiquette class.
Cool
>After the first year they split us up and the artillery/air defense guys went to their school, we went to air force school and the grunts remained at theirs so dunno what they studied.
So they specialize
>I assume you are asking about the infantry stuff.
Yes I am!

Thank you for everything
>>
File: 13102010552.jpg (114 KB, 800x480) Image search: [Google]
13102010552.jpg
114 KB, 800x480
>>29757925
CBRN is chemical,biological,radiological and nuclear defense. You learn to put on protective gear quickly, study the basics of protecting you and your unit from WMDs, how to cross zones that have been hit with chemical or nuclear weapons, things like that.
Laws of armed conflict as in the Geneva and Hague conventions, their addendums and others.
I dont remember much from philosophy class, I think we just studied up on a bunch of philosophy schools.
PT is physical training.

In tactics we learned stuff like "Mechanized infantry platoon/company/battalion on the offensive/defensive", how to dig in your unit, how to organize a road march, fire maneuvers, how to utilize additional assets like flamethrower squads or anti-tank squads.

We also got familiarized with the basics of artillery and air defense.
>>
>>29758055
>dat pic
A NU CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!
Memeing aside, which Eastern European Country sid you studied at?
>>
>>29757715
I'll tell you in 6-months. I leave for Field Artillery BOLC in two weeks.

What Ive heard from my older friends is that it is a gentleman course with lots of mathematics and a nice chunk of actual hands-on training.

Im in ROTC... Not West Point...Thank God. If you happen to have any questions about ROTC I can talk about that.
>>
File: NVU.jpg (416 KB, 720x483) Image search: [Google]
NVU.jpg
416 KB, 720x483
>>29758081
Bulgaria. Also attended a few courses in the Austrian academy.
>>
>>29758091
>Im in ROTC... Not West Point...Thank God. If you happen to have any questions about ROTC I can talk about that.
Actually, I do have questions about that.

In which way is leadership taught? It's a very broad concept. Do they make you lead people? Is there some group psychology involved?
>>
File: Fuck isis.jpg (65 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
Fuck isis.jpg
65 KB, 539x960
>>29758127
Leadership qualities will be hammered in your head freshman-senior year. My class was 17 people large and we would rotate positions every two weeks. Someone would be 1SGT, someone else would be CO, PL, SFC, SSGs, SGTs and then junior enlisted. Each person is supposed to act their role for those two weeks.
We had a three-hour class once a week where you learn leadership qualities such as how to counsel properly, the state of American warfare, how to conduct staffwork, UCMJ etc.
The ACTUAL learning was done outside during leadership labs and at Cadet Leadership Course (CLC) the summer after your junior year. This is where you learn small unit tactics (battle drills), operation planning (TLPs), etc. This is the fun part where you get to really see yourself develop.
Leadership is a learned trait that people develop at different speeds. ROTC will not get you as far as you need to be on it's own as it is skewed to the shitty people since they hold the rest of us back.

If you want to know more and are not a creppy dude, message me
facebook> elliot.johnson.925
>>
>>29758280
since that formatted like shit

>>29758127
Leadership qualities will be hammered in your head freshman-senior year. My class was 17 people large and we would rotate positions every two weeks. Someone would be 1SGT, someone else would be CO, PL, SFC, SSGs, SGTs and then junior enlisted. Each person is supposed to act their role for those two weeks.
We had a three-hour class once a week where you learn leadership qualities such as how to counsel properly, the state of American warfare, how to conduct staffwork, UCMJ etc.

The ACTUAL learning was done outside during leadership labs and at Cadet Leadership Course (CLC) the summer after your junior year. This is where you learn small unit tactics (battle drills), operation planning (TLPs), etc. This is the fun part where you get to really see yourself develop.

Leadership is a learned trait that people develop at different speeds. ROTC will not get you as far as you need to be on it's own as it is skewed to the shitty people since they hold the rest of us back.

If you want to know more and are not a creppy dude, message me
facebook> elliot.johnson.925
>>
File: 1454013491983.jpg (34 KB, 284x355) Image search: [Google]
1454013491983.jpg
34 KB, 284x355
>>29757824
>8 years army officer
>acts like a retarded dickhead
No surprise here boss.
>>
>>29758445
>gives a retarded answer to a retarded question
If you have specific questions aside from wut training does an officer do lol, I'll be happy to answer
>>
>>29758445
Kek I'm sitting in the back of a chinook right now bud
>>
>>29758729
But why is my question retarded for fucks sake?

I'll make an example of something you can relate with.
Some people become tertiary educators because they are successful researchers. But this is a promotion on the field and not all good researchers are also good teachers.
Consequently, universities have organized courses for people who are to become teachers of their subjects at the teriary level. Fair enough.
Now, these courses provide you with skills that are not necessarily relevant to your own specialty. It is up to you to make them relevant.
What matters is that the framework you are taught is regarded to be state of the art in terms of education. For example, nowadays many work with constructive alignement frameworks, which require the good educator to always manage to align three items together: intervention, educational outcome and evaluation.
That is, you have to teach something that produces the expected outcome but also evaluate people in ways that draw on what it is taught but also measure precisely what you want to achieve. So, e.g. you don't tutor people in math and then evaluate them on their ability to repeat what you have just said, because this is not aligned: you are testing memory, not math skills. So at the end of the testing you don't know if you have achieved your goal and you have no idea if your teaching was effective or not.
So, when for example you plan an entire subject (e.g. a semester or teaching), every lesson needs to triangulate these three aspects (training/outcomes/evaluation) and also the subject overall must accomplish the same thing.
This constructive alignment framework allows you to break down the teaching job into meaningful units, so you can deal with each of them separately.

(cont.)
>>
(Cont. from >>29758924 )

At the end of this story, I assume that when you train as an officer you are taught the things like these.
I have no idea if you work with constructive alignment like teachers do. But surely there must be some core framework that nowadays is considered state of the art for leading troops, and which has been subjected to scientific research in order to demonstrate its worth.

So this is what I am asking when I inquire about what is the common core of all officier training, regardless of specialty. There must be some up-to-date framework everyone is supposed to follow -- maybe different according to your army's overall doctrine but nevertheless basic as breathing for an officier of that army.
>>
>>29758938
Yeah I didn't read all that shit. You question is too general. People gave you specific answers though. Try doing some research on your own if you're curious and come back when you have some streamlined discussion points. I've explained this type of stuff in depth a million times in the meg threads.
>>
>>29759027
Okay here is a straightforward question: what is the military doctrine of your army?
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 323x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 323x323
>>29759114
See ya later kid
>>
>>29759176
I knew you were a fake all the time.
Now you play smart with your Han Solo memes.
But your level of knowledge is basically zero and in fact you have been uncooperative at best. An asshole at worst.

So when I ask a broad question: too broad.
When I ask a narrow one: too narrow.

So if you don't know Jack shit about the military stop be a pretentious fag and don't even reply because serious anons don't have time to waste with fake cucks.
>>
>>29759176
>doesn't know basic concepts
>claims he is a trained officer
Lel are you the same as >>29757739, >>29757824 ?
The madman.
>>
>>29759284
But wtf do you expect from Bulgarians anyways? Their army is kek-tier.
>>
>>29759294
Im not the madguy m8.
Its not my fault the politicians wont give us enough budged to buy shoes AND spare parts at the same time.
>>
>>29759269
>what is your doctrine
As it pertains to what?
Infantry?
Aviation?
Armor?
What scenario?
Force on force?
Counterinsurgency?
You see what I'm saying now?
>>
>>29758729
Not retarded OP
>>29758742
Cool bro, I'm chilling doing predeployment CBTs, neither of us are doing anything special right now the only difference is you get paid for a comission and get to tell people like me with their own (relevant) degrees and firsthand experience how to do shit.
At 8 years you're probably figuring this shit out, but it isn't going to change how yu act.
>>
>>29759284
Yeah I'm not about to divulge my units TTPs and SOPs on a Cambodian paddleboarding forum. There are plenty of FMs online if you want to read up on it.
>>
>>29759338
Why are you mad though?
>>
>>29759326
I feel for you bro.
But the best ppl are those who do a lot with very few resources.
>>
>>29759338
>he thinks flying on a helo and doing worthless online training are the same thing
wew
>>
>>29759333
M8, OP's a 16 y.o. faggot. Just ignore him.
>>
>>29759369
He's mad at someone. I can tell.
>>
>>29757872
British Army officer here, sounds pretty similar. Except we did light infantry stuff at Sandhurst, the most gucci vehicles we had were trucks. Flew in chinooks on the final ex though.
>>
>>29759429
Probably because he enlisted with his "relevant" degree instead of commissioning
>>
>>29759447
Are NCOs so butthurt?
>>
>>29759476
He's just mad he has to do sere 100
>>
>>29757715
I'm interested in this too. Specifically what skills do you absolutely NEED to hope to become an effective officer (like how a double amputee couldn't become an infantryman)?

How much of an impediment is social awkwardness/anxiety? Do you see people learn to overcome or "grow out of" these traits as a result of officer training, or do they end up failing?
>>
>>29757715
You're mixing things up. I'm going to talk Army because that's what I know, and because you mentioned West Point.

BOLC-A is the source of your commission. West Point, ROTC, or OCS. You are not trained on your particular job at this school, it's 100% general leadership, ethics, and officership type stuff, plus some introduction to how the military plans and conducts operations.

West Point/ROTC are 90% regular school and maybe 10% Army.

BOLC-B is where you get trained on area of concentration (AOC). There's some more leadership, ethics, cross-cultural stuff, and generic Army stuff, but the majority of the time is spent learned about the thing you're going to do.

>>29760540
>How much of an impediment is social awkwardness/anxiety?

There's no way to be a good officer if you can't successfully interact with people. Communication is arguably the largest part of an officer's job.
>>
>>29758091
lolz dots are fgts
>>
>what is the training for officers
sharp classes

thats why i dropped out and went enlisted [spoiler]and also because im fucking dumb[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1452897219822.gif (2 MB, 450x243) Image search: [Google]
1452897219822.gif
2 MB, 450x243
>>29759398
I work with helos daily, if you aren't flying it or jumping out of it you're just another faggot.
>>
>>29759696
I am mad that I had to do sere 100 but I'm not doing that right meow it's been done already.

>>29759447
Honestly not mad that I enlisted, I'm mad that were using an archaic system.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.