[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HK 416 thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: hk416.jpg (244 KB, 2143x834) Image search: [Google]
hk416.jpg
244 KB, 2143x834
Name one flaw.

>inb4 muh direct impingement
>>
Standard AR15 uses the stoner gas system. While it is developed from DI, it is not the same.

The flaw is your own retardation
>>
Not really a flaw, just personal taste.

I'm not a fan of the look, I like the basic M4/M16 design more.
>>
It sucks
>>
So how it is anyhow different from any other M4?
>>
>>29756813
It's ugly as sin
>>
>>29756668
It's expensive and has proprietary parts with limited benefit over the standard stoner-gas M4/M16
>>
>>29757532
Right on my friend. Price! Price! Price!
>>
>>29756668
price and the hk written on the side.

which means its expensive
>>
>>29756668
>>
>>29756813
reliability
>>
chunky rail,side folder or not a bullpup.bolt life probably sucks like a m4
>>
>>29756668
god damn these things are expensive
>>
>>29756668
Not 6.5 grendel
>>
Civilians can't get them. That's the fucking flaw faggot. The MR223 / 556 is gay as hell.
>>
>>29756813
It's more expensive.

>>29759067
>this is what pistonfags actually believe
>>
>>29756668
I swore it was piston
>>
>>29759743
>he doesn't know of the battle at Wanat
>>
>>29759806
>implying the piston makes a difference
>>
>>29759823
>implying it doesn't
>>
>>29759861
Yeah, it costs and weighs more at the same performance (if done right).
>>
>positives
piston means it works better with shorter barrel lengths and silencers.
it also makes it more reliable in arctic conditons.
the parts last longer before replacement.
and it possibly work a little longer with retarded conscripts cleaning it.

>>29757532
the 416 is pretty cheap. mr223 and 556 is expensive.

>negatives
heavier than DI ars
stll using buffer tube on a piston AR
were some problems with the earlier AGS

thats all i can come up with
>>
>>29759968
>same performance
found your error
>>
>>29759994
>the parts last longer before replacement.
I'd chalk that up to the rifle being high quality make, not that the piston is magical.
If H&K had made the rifle with a conventional Stoner gas system, then it would probably have been just as good.

A Colt Canada/Deimaco rifle will do just as well in arctic conditions, also, people who don't actually know anything about the AR-15 (and think it actually operates on conventional DI), usually run their mouth about how unreliable it is, based on Nam anecdotes from several decades ago, when it's a phenomenally reliable system

It arguably has pros for silencers and handling heat, but it's a bit situational to me.
>>
>>29760101
c8s had more problems in arctic than hk416. especially with ice forming inside gas key. tube and expansion chamber.
because of heat, and especially because of varying temps, like walking in and out of buildings in really cold weather.

I suspect the longer bolt life has something to do with the heat difference in the systems, but its so small so it might just be materials, and that the short barrel m4s are pretty hard on the bolt
>>
>>29760101
>based on Nam anecdotes from several decades ago
The thing is: the original problems were never adressed properly. Just fixed in quick'n'dirty fashion with makeshift solutions. And with the shortening of the barrel when switching from the M16 to the M4 we gave up a lot of the potential of these fixes.
>>
File: 13712861835_1daa7e6453_b.jpg (238 KB, 1024x462) Image search: [Google]
13712861835_1daa7e6453_b.jpg
238 KB, 1024x462
>>29760169
>the original problems were never adressed properly
Yes they were, you fucking idiot. The problems the M16 faced (early) on in Vietnam are well understood and long since fixed, the issue was entirely:

>bad magazines, meant to be used literally once and then disposed of, but was reused out of budgetary reasons
>bad ammunition, completely wrong spec, burnt way too foul and ran the action too fast, resulting in greatly accelerated wear (particularly the buffer and the bolt carrier), and excess dirt
>a complete lack of cleaning, like, at all (which is a bigger problem than it would be now thanks to the bad ammunition)

Your precious HK416 would have choked miserably in the same conditions because that's what happens when you use out of spec ammo and mags, then forego cleaning it.
An original Colt M16A1 will run like a dream when provided with even remotely decent ammunition, an M16A2 or M16A4 will run near indefinitely on Magpul or H&K magazines, feeding on Buffalo Bore or Sellier & Bellot, just like a HK416 would (or for that matter, M855 Ball ammo)
Hell, even shitty Tulammo or Wolf will be in spec enough that you can abuse an AR with it for several thousands of rounds without issue.
You literally CAN'T replicate the biggest problem of the Vietnam era in this day, because that ammo doesn't exist anymore

>And with the shortening of the barrel when switching from the M16 to the M4 we gave up a lot of the potential of these fixes.
Reliability problems with short AR carbines were solved in the early 90's, the buffer, buffer spring, extractor, and extractor springs, etc were changed to accommodate the difference in behavior accordingly.
The changes you have to make to turn a 20" rifle into a 14.5" carbine are well understood today.

There's a world of difference between an XM177 and an Mk.18
The M4A1 is not going to be choking up like a Dissipator carbine would.
>>
>>29756668
Excessive bolt velocity, rate of fire, cost. All this to do literally nothing to fix Ar-15 flimsy mags and feeding problems.
>>
>>29760160
>I suspect the longer bolt life has something to do with the heat difference in the systems, but its so small so it might just be material
HK 416 uses different type of steel for bolt.
>>
>>29760612
Actually, the HK416 is typically supplied with a stamped steel magazine (at least it's what H&K will ship with the gun), which, while considerably heavier than the USGI aluminum mags (probably twice the weight loaded, and not to talk about cost), are much more durable and reliable, the H&K steel mags really do work quite well, if you can deal with the other drawbacks.

Magpul and Lancer mags kind of solve the problem with durability and feeding while still being lightweight though.
>>
>>29756813
Includes H&K's red and white meme selector.
>>
File: retroisloveretroislife.png (1 MB, 3000x1000) Image search: [Google]
retroisloveretroislife.png
1 MB, 3000x1000
>>29760525
>An original Colt M16A1 will run like a dream when provided with even remotely decent ammunition
It's almost like it's the very foundation of the modern day AR-15 and had a chromed bore/chamber, an FA, good magazines that still function well today, a twist rate that wasn't 1:14, and was always issued with cleaning kits. Yet, despite being -the- quintessential M-16 of the Vietnam War, people still think it didn't fix anything.
>>
File: M601-800_50.jpg (14 KB, 800x236) Image search: [Google]
M601-800_50.jpg
14 KB, 800x236
>>29760990
That's true, but even the original Airforce issue M16 rifles without the chromed bore and all that neat shit would actually function if running the right ammo and mags that aren't made for literally one use.

But yes, the M16A1 was a massive improvement over the original issue rifles.
The M16A2, is also a large step up (though some would argue the burst-sear is a downgrade)
>>
>>29756668
Expensive as fuck and rarer parts.
>>
>>29756668
fine rifle. but there are better options
>>
File: 1366565209999.jpg (166 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1366565209999.jpg
166 KB, 640x427
>>29756668
Here is why it really is muh direct impingement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10td_zRPlao However a lot of the piston guns seem to be doing fine for now.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.