[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could you create an assault rifle that functions like an AA12?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: aa12.webm (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aa12.webm
1 MB, 1920x1080
I understand that just scaling down the mechanism wouldn't work, but it's a relatively simple design and I see no reason why it couldn't be adapted into a rifle caliber round.

Are there any problems that could result from the design?
>>
>>29754791
it's called an AR18 you dumb cunt
>>
>>29754797
AA-12: Blowback, open bolt
AR-18: Short stroke piston, rotating bolt

>Calling people dumb cunts
>>
>>29754791
dude...there are litterally hundreds of rifles and pistols that function like this.
>>
MKb 42?
>>
>>29754791
Why would you want an open bolt ar at this day and age ?

( effective accurate range 50m )
>>
>>29754845
>implying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOUKXIrDE0I

Closed bolt on semi, open on full mothafuckin' auto
>>
>>29754791
>I don't see any reason why rifles shouldn't take a few steps back to be on the cutting edge of shotgun technology

It's no wonder that you're a prestigious and well known gun designer.
>>
>>29754791
The problem is that the pressure inside modern rifle cartridges are much higher than pistol round or shotgun rounds. The mass needed to for the bolt to keep the round from exiting the chamber early would need to weigh between 8-12 pounds depending on the cartridge. Increasing the recoil spring force will not help in this situation either. Which is why locking mechanisms are used in modern rifles, to keep the weight down. Now if you wanted to make a mounted rifle where weight does no matter, I don't see why you couldn't use a normal blow back design for a rifle cartridge.
>>
File: brit 308 prototype 1.jpg (64 KB, 1017x520) Image search: [Google]
brit 308 prototype 1.jpg
64 KB, 1017x520
>>29754791
>>29755613
To be fair, you can reduce bolt weight significantly if it fires from the open bolt only. Doesn't stop it from being dumb though.
>>
>>29754791
what would be the point there are already many other designs better suited to a rifle caliber cartridge that are already on the market and do not need to be completely redesigned to fire from a closed bolt because NFA
>>
>>29756006
I forgot about that, and you are correct. Good talking point.
>>
>>29754825
It's locked breech, not blowback genius. You can even see that in the webm.
>>
Step 1: rifle the barrel
Step 2: shoot slugs

Congrats, you have an aa-12 assault rifle.
>>
>>29757398
Or just proceed to step 2.
>>
>>29757271
How can it be locked breech if it's an open bolt retard?
>>
>>29759405
oh nice epic troll kid I know you cant be this stupid
>>
>>29756006
Advance primer ignition is a meme in anything that isn't considered a cannon. The .308 "sterling' pictured is lever delayed blowback.
>>
>>29754791
Just load deer slugs
>>
>>29763035
instructions unclear loaded slugs into smaller calliber
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.