[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why nobody produces the luger today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: overpriced antique.jpg (64 KB, 600x411) Image search: [Google]
overpriced antique.jpg
64 KB, 600x411
For fucks sake with the mass production methods that there are today, combined with it being a gun of legend there should be thousands of modern day P-08's today, chambered in 22, 9 mm, 10 mm, 45, or whatever caliber, the P-08's should be available in all sizes.
I mean for fucks sake, the Schofield is still being made, the SAA too, also the 1911 is alive and well, why isn't any major firearms manufacturer making lugers?
Why do we have to pay such a high prices for antique guns, when they could be brand new guns being exact copies of the original, not to mention that geting a luger will become harder as they make older and rarer.
Why does fate punish the lovers of old fashioned guns?
If it was out in the market at a reasonable price i would use it as everyday gun.
>>
>babby's first lesson on tooling up and scale of production
>>
>I mean for fucks sake, the Schofield is still being made, the SAA too, also the 1911 is alive and well, why isn't any major firearms manufacturer making lugers?
Literally "but Nazis are bad XDDDDD" and the inevitable soccermom backlash.
>>
>>29740607
Because the luger went out of production due to being replaced by the P38
>>
>>29740607
niche weapon with questionable reliability.
>single stack 9mm with double stack width
>>
>>29740607
Stoeger and aimco tried it in the 90s. They cost a shit load then and you could buy a nice original p08 for the cost of a stoeger stainless luger.
>>
>>29740607
Somethings are just meant to die
>>
>>29740621
For that matter the AK has killed thousands and is branded in popular culture as the commie/jihadist rifle and still you can buy them in any decent gun store across the USA.
>>
>>29740629
So did the schofield bud, being out of production for a time is irrelevant.
>>
>>29740642
Fuck that, the muskets are still being made.
>>
Just buy a used one. My Dad bought one about 15 years ago, and I have to say- it works- every time, 100% with factory ammo. The disassembly is easy too. I'd use one as a defensive piece no problem at all.
>>
>>29740677
Second this
>>
>>29740607
>If it was out in the market

This might be doable.

>at a reasonable price

This isn't.

Consider for a moment that even guns that make extensive use of stamped sheet metal and that require little to no hand finishing go for well over 1000 dollars. What do you think something like a Luger, which will almost certainly require at least a moderate amount of hand finishing for every single gun, being a design ill-suited for mass production, will cost? Consider further that the cost will be even greater after you factor in the comparatively small production runs it will have compared to any kind of modern, mainstream handgun.

A cheap luger is as much of a pipe dream in gun terms as the complete repeal of the NFA.
>>
>>29740658
but AKs can be made by Ahmed with a barrel and a shovel
>>
>>29740677
As time passes they shall become a antique, the oldest lugers today are over a hundred years old and the newest are at least 71, i think that people that want to own a luger should be able to buy them without buying an antique, they could even be improved with modern advances in gun manufacturing.
>>
File: chineseluger.jpg (117 KB, 1023x639) Image search: [Google]
chineseluger.jpg
117 KB, 1023x639
>>29740607
1: Highly intricate and expensive manufacturing
2: Niche market that would put the pricetag above poorfag affordability
3: Norinco is banned from importing to the USA
>>
>>29740699
Even a 1000 dollars for this gun is better than nothing, now the STG's will go back in production.
Also think that in the future robots could do such things today they assemble cars.
>>
>>29740725
Correction- Norinco is barred from importing non-sporting arms. The Interstate Model 97 knock-offs are made by Norinco.
>>
>>29740725
First time that i heard about this norinco luger.
Is it still being made, and if so where it is sold, because chinese will get killed if discovered owning a gun.
>>
>>29740766
they never went into full scale production because after they got the banhammer the chinese decided that w/o the US market the guns were not worth producing and debugging and so ended the project
>>
>>29740716
Other than modern heat treating and coatings I see no improvement other than drastic design modifications.
>>
>>29740794
>they never went into full scale production because after they got the banhammer the chinese decided that w/o the US market the guns were not worth producing and debugging and so ended the project
Fucking gommies man, if anyone can mass produce something even if it is a shit-tier product it is the chinese.
>>
>>29740716
Modern advances such as?
>>
>>29740738

God I wish I wasn't a poorfag because I want one of those new production STGs
>>
>>29740840

I fucking hate the norinco ban. Just give me my Chinese shit for shits and giggles
>>
File: Luger.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Luger.gif
2 MB, 500x281
I used to shop at Krausewerk Collectables in the SF Bay Area. Mr. Krause makes Lugers in 9mm, 32, 30 Luger and 45 ACP. But they cost 17,000 to make. That should tell you something.

RIP Chuck
>>
>>29740607
>Why nobody produces the luger today?
A guy in california did back ~'00. He made 1000 9mm and 1000 in .45 and sold them ALL for $10k each. iirc, he presold almost 1800 of them, and the other 200 were gone within a week of release.

As to why its not done today..... its a very time consuming process to make each one.

if you look hard enough, you can find the whole manual that lists the blueprints, what type of steel to use on each part, how to heat treat each part, and basically every technicallity relating to it. Its an official German WWI-era Wermacht booklet.

>>29740631
>questionable reliability.
dont talk about things you know nothing about.

>>29740725
never heard of the Norinco Luger.... good find.
>>
>>29740932
Hopefully with better machining processes shit wouldn't have to be hand-fitted.

Here's why that's not exactly going to fix things:
>more expensive machines
>higher paid workers
>QC/customer service is more expensive because if your "high tech repro of an old classic" gun ever slightly malfunctions people will go out of their way to ruin your reputation if you don't immediately fix their problem

And that's just my 2 cents
>>
>>29740677
if i was a nigger and robbing houses
i would approve of being killed by a luger
>>
>>29740607

Because the cost of a new luger probably wouldn't be much less than an original. Wouldn't be worth it.
>>
>>29741362
>>29741381
But anon, California is so antigun, don't you have to cut one of your hands off at a Gun Administration building, then after getting a microship inserted into your spine, the cops are obligated to shoot you the moment you walk out of the building? And if you survive the shooting, you have to wait 70 years until you're cleared to own a gun with tax payment of both your kidneys?
Unless you're gonna tell me /k/ was lying about all that.
>>
>>29740677
You must have a really good one. Most Lugers are ridiculously unreliable and prone to stoppages.
>>
>>29740699
>being a design ill-suited for mass production
This definition heavily changed after CNC happened. Production engineer from 1908 will hang himself if he will see quad rail.
>>
>>29743134
Watch InRange's mudtest of the Luger
>>
>>29741503
testy
>>
>>29741503
They aren't lying. It's just worth it.
>>
>>29743134
Let me guess, you've never fired one?
>>
>>29743134
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_IeAaR5AmU
>>
>>29740607
Obligatory Ian debunking stupid.
https://youtu.be/GSCk7dKSudU
>>
>>29743385
What is five axis cnc?
>>
>>29741503
California fag here, got to wait 3 days to get your gun even if fully paid for on the spot. Idea is to stop people from doing impulsive things with it. Though if you go down to a gun show you can leave with a small armory as quick as you want.
>>
>>29743385
Ian is the prophet of murder cube
HEIL IAN
HEIL MURDER CUBE
>>
>>29740615
upvote
>>
>>29743428

Much more expensive.

Though a 4th axis (or at least an indexer) would be a more affordable solution.

But yeah. Design philosophy has changed a lot over the years.
>>
File: 20160425_153809.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160425_153809.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>29740607
My question is why nobody produces ejector springs since theyre one of the most commonly broken parts. I had to buy a surplus one from some polish dude. Could there be a niche market for replacement parts of uncommon firearms
>>
>>29740621
>they are making an STG44 repro and nobody gives a fuck
Yeah, I dont think thats the problem.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.