[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /k/ I finally went and ordered my first gun. It's a 4"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_0635-Small.jpg (92 KB, 717x480) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0635-Small.jpg
92 KB, 717x480
So /k/ I finally went and ordered my first gun. It's a 4" GP100. Did I fuck up? Figured a revolver was a good call to learn to shoot on cuz .38 wadcutters and shit, plus it's retard proof and I can't afford any real training any time soon.

Also if anyone has any data (anectdotal or otherwise) on the ability of .38 special to drop bodies I would appreciate seeing it.
>>
Not a bad choice. Enjoy it OP.
>inb4 shoulda got a .22
>>
>>29737488
You did breddy gud.
Other stuff might work a bit better, but a GP100 works.
.38 special has been dropping bodies since, liek 1900 or something. Other stuff might work a bit better, but .38 works.
Somebody's going to crap at you for not getting an automatic, but the important thing is to have something and practice with it. You're half way there.
>>
You did great honestly. Perfect to learn with because .38 special is so mild to shoot. Load in some +p and you got a good little defense weapon. Besides, once you get the hang of that you can try the venerable .357 magnum and have one of the best manstoppers in your hand. Even more power than a .45 acp out of a 5 inch barrel. Also never sell it, it should outlive you if you treat it right.
>>
File: wm_6420119.jpg (426 KB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
wm_6420119.jpg
426 KB, 2592x1936
>>29737515
Thanks man. I considered a .22 but I figure there are probably .38 loads that feel comparable coming out of a 40something ounce gun.

>>29737533
Thanks man.

>>29737594
Part of my reasoning on it was that I wanted my first gun to be special and something I keep for 50 years and give it to my kids or whoever. I looked at a lot of polymer 9mms but I couldn't really see myself opening a box to show off my XD Mod.2 with Grip Zone 50 years from now.

I also considered getting the six inch because 6 inch bull barrel revolvers are like having a V8 engine for a dick, but I figured the 4" could be pressed into service as a carry gun if I absolutely had to and the 6 inch not so much.
>>
There is very little that a solid .357 revolver won't do. You can defend yourself, target practice, hunt within 75 yards, all kinds of shit. Also, there's a certain charm to wheel guns that autoloaders just don't have. As long as you acknowledge their limitations, there's nothing wrong with a good revolver.
>>
>>29737698
Yep that's why most of my handguns are steel. Passing down a nice 1911 or .357 magnum to your kids sounds alot better than giving them a plastic gun. Don't get me wrong though I carry a Glock 22, but it doesn't have any sentimental value to me. I actually have a 3 inch GP100 and the 6 inch GP100 and love them both. Be sure to get a better front sight because the all black isn't very easy to pick up. I recommend a fiber optic from Hi-Viz. They're cheap and effective. Also some nice wood grips really bring it into it's own.
>>
Watch every thing Jerry micklick says about revolver shooting you will be fine
>>
>>29737488
Good job, I wanted a smith and wesson 686 plus but then I found out about the hillary hole smith cucked over like a sellout bitch. I aint about that life so im probably getting one of these too.
>>
>>29737814
Yeah, I was looking at fiber optics or a gold bead, though the latter are expensive for obvious reasons. Wood grips maybe down the line once I've gotten a little more used to .357s.

>>29737826
I think the 686 is gorgeous and I'd happily take a seven round version but for 200 bucks more and a Hillary Hole no thanks. That's some Taurus tier bullshit.
>>
I replaced the huge ass grips on mine for smaller ones as fast as I could.
First thing people say about the gun is how nice the grip feels.
Made shooting and dry firing to get used to it a lot more fun.
>>
Why'd you pussy out on a .357mag revolver?

Why not get a s&w 460? I don't own a revolver though because revolvers are for fags.

I just buy glocks.
>>
>>29737698
Op I have a 6" GP100. Bretty gud.

If you want a real piece to pass down, put some of these grips on it. I haven't yet because I've been doing other projects, but it looks damn good with them.

http://grips4u.net/category/pistol-grips/ruger/ruger-gp100/
>>
File: 1450225273832.gif (4 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
1450225273832.gif
4 MB, 600x338
>>29737488
>learn to shoot on cuz .38 wadcutters
>>
>>29738329
If I'm not mistaken that was the traditional police training ammo for like 75 years. Low recoil and cheap.
>>
Shoulda gone 6" but fuck yeah you done good.
>>
>>29737488
I have a 6 inch GP100.

Nothing wrong with a 4 inch

You will be pleased OP.

Good job.

shoot 38 special for fun

shoot 357mag for killz
>>
Nothing wrong with a 4" GP-100. Concealable -barely. Controllable with .357's, works with cheap wadcutters.

Get a decent holster that covers the trigger guard, find a bowling pin league, and really learn that gun. Spend 10 minutes every day dry-firing it and really focus on keeping those sights perfectly aligned in the DA stroke.

Good choice.
>>
>>29738387
Wadcutters are practice ammo only.
police used round nose, or flat nose.
and dont be a bitch OP, .357 mag out of a 4" or longer barrel isnt bad recoil.
>>
>>29741242
>wadcutters are practice ammo only
Witch is what he said
> traditional police training ammo
>>
>>29737488
Good choice OP.
>>
>>29738294
I've got a 6"GP too, thanks for that link anon. Those grips look fucking fantastic.
>>
>>29737488
>GP100
Good choice
>4"
Eh, I'd have gone longer unless you intend to carry it. For a range gun, long barrels are generally easier to shoot more accurately.
>plus it's retard proof
Don't EVER take the side plate off, and have a professional gunsmith check the timing every couple thousand rounds.
>data on the ability of .38 to drop people
You're throwing a generally slightly heavier bullet of basically the same diameter (.355" vs. .358") at generally slightly lower velocities than standard pressure 9mm. They have (generally) similar energy and are quite comparable. Wadcutters don't expand or tumble and make shit-tier defensive rounds, get carry ammo from a reputable maker.
>>
>>29737826
I'm quite happy with my 6" model 29 that predates Hillary Holes.

Heavy enough gun that even full-power .44mag is quite mild, and the single-action trigger is in the sub-1lb range.
>>
>>29737488
Nah, you did fine. Shoot +P .38's if the full house loads are uncomfortable.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.