[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I go about my business in a gun shop without making an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: JohnFPeters_BBW_Gunshop_HIRES06.jpg (288 KB, 2200x1759) Image search: [Google]
JohnFPeters_BBW_Gunshop_HIRES06.jpg
288 KB, 2200x1759
How do I go about my business in a gun shop without making an idiot of myself?

gun shop etiquette thread
>>
>>29737140
Well, if you're under 40 years old, you can't. Prepare to get treated like a child
>>
>>29737140
Be polite, ask basic questions. For example "Im looking to get a shotgun for home defence, I have heard of Mossberg being a very good brand. Can I take a look at a Mossberg 500 if you have one?" If they hand you a new Remington 870 walk the fuck out that bitch
>>
well what's your business?
remember your please and thank yous, and don't get in anyone's way
>>
File: 1461370021894.png (510 KB, 717x987) Image search: [Google]
1461370021894.png
510 KB, 717x987
-don't touch any guns without asking first.
-watch the muzzle
-don't dryfire without asking first.
-if they say yes, try not to rack and dryfire over and over again like an asshole. you can do it, but don't overdo it.
-be polite

That's about it.
>>
>>29737140
Ask to see gun, immediately point at clerk and pull trigger. Then ask if it has enough stopping power.
>>
>>29737298
Then however he tries to answer, interrupt with, "Because I know... [ ]"
That way he knows to treat you with respect because you know things.
>>
>>29737140
Ask if they'll accept rare pepes as a form of currency.
>>
>>29737140
Walk tall and be an ass
>>
>>29737140
Buy something that cost more $200 from them. Do it multiple times. See how they become your friend.
>>
dont point guns at people.

dont dry fire without permission.

tell them you are new to guns looking to buy your first.

if you feel pressured or have a negative experience goto a different store, your spending a lot of dosh, you should be treated well
>>
When I ask to hold a firearm and decide to shoulder it, what is the best direction to point it?
>>
>>29737140

Don't quote a bunch of dumb shit off the internet, like stoppin powa, don't say they're expensive compared to online sales (because local vs middleman doing diddly online will be different) and don't fingerfuck everything, especially if you're not going to buy anything, it's one thing if the guy behind the counter says check this out, vs asking to see fucking everything.
>>
>>29738095
Down
At least not at anyone
>>
File: chilli cheese fritos.jpg (236 KB, 970x1500) Image search: [Google]
chilli cheese fritos.jpg
236 KB, 970x1500
Walk in while eating a nice, tasty snack and then finger fuck every gun within reach.
>>
>>29737140
Everyone who runs a gun store does so because they think they know more than everyone else
Stroke their ego and ask for advice
>>
The best gun to get is entirely based on the correct ammo or caliber you need for the task. It's best to decide what ammo you want first as that determines the gun.
Go and buy the ammo of your choice and take it with you to make sure you get the right gun. Take it out the box though since you don't want them to think you stole it when you go to buy your gun. Just take a handful to make sure you get the right gun.
Walk up to the counter hold them up for the clerk to clearly see them and ask for a gun that shoots that kind of bullet.
>>
>>29738235
Also, make sure they fit.
>>
Wear a towel around your head and shout ALLAHU ACKBAR every time you pick up a gun.
>>
Don't continually spout random information to try and impress anyone, don't point guns at people, and don't act like a cunt. Basic human decency applies.

But on the other hand, you'll find that most gun stores are complete asshats behind the counter that think they know everything, or people who are paid to occupy the space that don't know anything.
>>
>>29738141
This, it shows dominance and makes them respect you.
>>
If its at a gun store and its unloaded whats the big deal with pointing it at people, I mean I'm not pointing it at them and pretending to shoot, but there's only so much room you can point it at
>>
>>29738782
Wow I was just pointing my dick at your face. It's not like I have piss in my bladder.
>>
>>29738782

Conscientiousness, anon. And also empathy.
>>
>>29737140
>Show them your benis

>While deep throating a firearm you've taken off the shelf

>Ask them if they like memes
>>
I have never had a pleasant experience at a gun store. Avoid them at all costs, purchase firearms online and find a small FFL holder in your area to do the transfer.
>>
>>29737140
In this day and age, why the would you physically go to a gun store?

Brick and mortar stores are only good if you want to try stuff out. However, gun store owners get pissed the fuck off if you put your hands on anything, so it completely defeats the point.

The only thing they're good for is if you want to pay cash for something, but nowadays you can just do the same thing with bitcoin without leaving your house.
>>
Don't ever pronounce "Obama" correctly. You can say "Obummer" or "'Bama" or even Barack Hussein, but never just say "Obama" or even worse, "President Obama."
>>
DON'T DROP THE GUNS

and if you don't know what you're doing just say so so they don't expect you to be knowledgeable and then you go full retard. no one likes full retard.
>>
>>29738073
>if you feel pressured or have a negative experience goto a different store, your spending a lot of dosh, you should be treated well
this. It's a fucking store. You're a customer. You have every reason to expect to be treated well. And to be honest if you don't point a gun at anyone, dry-fire it over and over again, or say stupid shit they don't really care about you enough to notice if you're new or not. You're not walking in with a flashing neon light saying NEW TO THE WHOLE GUNS THING COMING THROUGH - and to be honest, you should get more help, not less, by simply saying you're new to guns. Most of us welcome newcomers to the hobby and any profit-seeking enterprise would value gaining a new customer.
>>
>>29738782
Always treat a gun like it's loaded.

It shows you're cognizant of gun safety and not a threat. That's important when handling a fucking weapon. Moreover, this entirely precludes any type of accident. You never know what strange oversight or series of coincidences can happen, but you can't shoot someone if the gun is pointed in a safe direction.
>>
>>29737493

The first time I went to the local indoor range/store I bought a $1400 DDM4V5 from them in 5 minutes. That's usually a pretty good first impression.

But yeah, the best thing to do is know what you want beforehand and make sure you're knowledgable about it, but don't try to get into any debates or flaunt that knowledge. Ask if they have it, ask to check it out, make sure it's all good, pay and leave.

If it's a local store that has older/rarer stuff and you show up now and then just to browse, don't be too much of an obnoxious window shopper. If you're trying to build a relationship pick up some ammo or something now and then when you come to look.
>>
>>29737298
holy fuck why is this even so funny
>>
>>29741156
>If you're trying to build a relationship pick up some ammo or something now and then when you come to look.
Exactly this.
My best LGS is in South Austin run by a few Vietnam veterans and I will go in there and bullshit about guns for 15 minutes every time, followed by spending about $30 in ammo and cleaning supplies.
They are happy to show me their inventory because I've bought 2 guns there and always buy ammo. I wish I could still buy guns there, but they charge prices to make up for not being a big box store and I'm no longer looking for surplus arms that they sell.
However, they have a 70's Remington 1100 in 16gauge and I might pick it up for pheasant hunting.
LGS's can be filled with assholes, just make friends with them and you never know what they'll bring out for you to see. Lots of places with small floor space keep the good deals in the back for returning customers.
>>
File: 1461350333450.jpg (13 KB, 585x398) Image search: [Google]
1461350333450.jpg
13 KB, 585x398
>>29737350
>>
>>29737140
Buy everything online and save yourself a pile of money without ever having to deal with the retards that frequent/work at gun stores.
>>
>>29737164
>ask to see shotgun
>shop owner hands me a Remington 870
>"I don't want this. this gun is shit."
>"What? Why do you think that?"
>"errrr, /k/ told me so..."

Why's it shit? Don't leave me hanging like this man.
>>
>>29741589
>I've heard opinions from friends that the quality of Remington products has really dropped since they were bought by the freedom group

Come on it's not that hard
>>
Am I the only one here that has a solid local gunstore? The place I go to has people that have always been cool and given good advice, and never been condescending. I fucking love going there. Also they charge sane prices.
>>
>>29741589
>I've heard the quality of Remington has dropped

How autistic are you?

Also just order online, have it shipped. It's current year, you can order guns in your bed now.
>>
>>29741265
What store anon?
>>
>>29741795

>It's current year, you can order guns in your bed now.
God bless America.
>>
If I walked into a store and asked for a specific handgun that they didn't have, do the gunstores try to sell you on something else or do you just say "thank you for your time" and just leave?

I've decided on a CZ75 SP01 but I can't fucking find one.
>>
bring in a 12 pack of beer and offer to share with the clerk or store owner
That's normal etiquette
>>
>>29742101
Normally if the store is any good they can order it in for you.
>>
>>29741005

>However, gun store owners get pissed the fuck off if you put your hands on anything, so it completely defeats the point.

>be me, first time in a gun store
>not buying anything (live in Canada, visiting family in NH)
>say as much to the representative who asks me if I need anything
>proceed to have a lengthy demonstration of a few different pistols, tells me to feel free to handle the rifles by myself
>spend a while doing that (like I said, first time inna store)
Maybe it's because it was at SIG's big range in Epping and the staff there are well-trained and used to handling casual browsers, but anyway, I had a fine time. Of course I wasn't dry firing like a dumbass either.
>>
>>29742101
http://www.damascusgunshop.com/CZ-75-SP-01-p/91152.htm

$608 + free shipping

Looks like 1 left so i'd jump on it if you want one.
>>
>>29742111
t. alcoholic gun store owner
>>
>>29737269
I've never understood the whole dry firing taboo. It's important for a lot of shooters to know how the trigger feels and resets. It also causes no harm to the firearm....so idk why not. At my local LGS I'm pretty close with the owner and employees, have volunteered my time to help out at gunshows and such, and the owner half jokingly gives me shit every time I dry fire something. Every time, I ask him why the fuck not? And he just says "if you break it you buy it" which tells me he just believes in fuddlore. If he'd say "i just get annoyed working in a gun shop and listening to gun sounds all day" I'd understand and respect it....but damn. It's not even a Fudd gunshop, it caters to self defense, law enforcement, and the CC market. I'd expect it to be a fuddlore free zone.
>>
>>29738782
Complacency can get you killed. All it takes is one momentary lapse in judgement for everything to go south in a real hurry.
>>
>>29741030
Have you ever seen this happen?
>>
>>29738782
It's not hard. For the rest of us, at least.
>>
>>29738073
>negative experience
Very real feel

I've got to two gunstores where I used to live in a week

First week
>guy was friendly
>we were talking about guns, millitary,etc as if we knew each other for years
>Asked about prices on ARs, said he was out of the specific one I was looking for, offered to call when he gets one

Go to another one
>Fudd at counter
>ask to see one of their ARs
>begrudgingly hands it it to me
>Inspect it to see if there is any problems with it >2 mins of holding it I get a "are you going to buy it or whut"
>tempted to tell him to piss off
>politely give it back and leave

It was in San Fransisco before anyone calls "bullshit"(the second one)
>>
>>29737160
I disagree, if you know your shit and act polite 75% of the time you won't have any issues. Of course there's always those people who will treat you like shit but you can't let them bother you.
>>
>>29737140
Do your homework before yougo.
Know what you are looking for.
When you get the gun, don't point the thing at people.
Don't slam the slide (if it's semi auto) shut.
Generally don't man handle any guns.
Just basically shit you should know.
>>
>>29741795
Hildog says you can order fully automatic baby killers online and have them delivered without a background check
>>
>>29737140
>look at stuff
>ask to hold the things you want
>buy the stuff you wanna buy
>DONT poop in your hand and start fapping with it, I learned this the hard way
>>
>>29737140
Pretty sure it's not all that hard. I'm a Noguns from a scary foreign country.
Let me see if I can make a go of it, then you can flip out about not abiding by your sekrit rules.

>Decide what you fucking want before you go.
>Get it narrowed down to shit that you researched and know to meet all your requirements.
>Find places where the item/items are in stock.
>Go to the gun shop.
>Be polite, ask to see the weapons you want.
>Don't let them upsell you or change your mind.
>Don't be a retard or a cunt about it.
>Listen to what the store staff might say, but take it with a pinch of salt.
>Finger fuck the funs for a bit
>Go home with your new knowledge then order the one that you like best off the internet for less money.
>>
>>29738141
>not having a bag of cheesy poofs
>>
>>29738782
4 rules nigga
>>
>>29742355
>I've never understood the whole dry firing taboo
"The reason is due to the design of rimfire chamber. When a rimfire firearm is dry fired, the striker hits the outside mouth of the chamber instead of the soft brass rim of the cartridge. This can not only damage or destroy your firing pin, but over time will peen the barrel face."

did you ever try to google it?
>>
>>29742355
This

The only guns I know of that you don't dry fire are revolvers, rim fires, and ARs when u don't have the upper on.
Otherwise all these guns can fucking take an explosion multiple times going off inside them. But pulling the the trigger with no round which is what you have to do anyway is some how causing major damage. If I buy a gun and it breaks due to dry firing it was fucking trash to begin with.
>>
>>29744212
>If I buy a gun and it breaks due to dry firing it was fucking trash to begin with.
"If I run a car with out oil and it breaks it was trash to begin with"

Your gun is a tool, stop playing with your tool...
>>
>>29742355
Generally speaking, there are firearms that you absolutely should not dry fire. Mostly they're older firearms that have more brittle pins (Due to the limitations of metallurgy at the time) and the fact that replacement parts are either expensive and rare or are nonexistent.

Sure, AR firing pins are a dime a dozen. Replacing one might take a minute or so.

That being said, those firearms that you dry fire are not yours. It doesn't matter what you think, it doesn't matter what you've read. They're not yours and the least you could do is ask.
>>
Wow
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.