[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lee classic loader
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 256x192
Does anyone have any experience with the lee classic loaders? I am extremely interested in them because of the $30 price tag, that includes everything you need to start reloading. (Minus raw materials.) the only reason I have not ordered one of these kits yet, is because they do not recommend using this kit, if you intend to use the rounds in a semi auto weapon. I plan on reloading .223 for my ar. Does anyone know why they recommend that?
>>
Bump for info
>>
>>29732136
>>29732183

Loading on one of those hand presses is going to be extremely slow. I think you would be lucky to generate 20-30 rounds per hour.

The Lee Anniversary Kit should be the bare minimum for a new reloader.
>>
>>29732279
I don't mind if it's so going. I'm just looking for info on why it isn't recommended for use with semi auto weapons
>>
>>29732312
The Lee loaders only neck size brass and that causes issues with loading in semiauto firearms. For semiauto you need at least full length resizing or in some cases small base sizing.
>>
File: 20160425_093356.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160425_093356.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
>>29732136
A Lee press is like $100 and 223 Lee dies are like $40. for the price of 350 rounds you can have a reloading press and reload for 20 cents per round. (8c 55g bullet / 8c powder / 4c primer). after 700 rounds it'll be payed off and then your saving money for the rest of your life on every caliber gun you shoot.
you'll eventually want a case tumbler ($50) though.
>>
i use one for 54r, works like a charm. takes a couple minutes to reload one round if you take your time but thats no biggie for me
>>
>>29732689
> $0.04/primer
That's highway robbery. I pay around half that.
>quibbling over 2 cents
That shit adds up.
>>
>>29732788
where do you buy?
I get em for $35 per 1000
>>
>>29732953
I get the cheapest primers I can find from a reloading shop a few towns over. I've been lucky and caught them on sale for $20/1000. I think cabelas sells them cheap, too.
>>
anyone every have trouble with spent brass having primer pockets crimped or too small to load new primers into? all the remington brass I get (.223) is like this so I drill a tiny ramp so the primer goes in. after a few reloads the primers will probably start falling out. fucking remington ammo is trash.
>>
File: 90045-600x600.jpg (36 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
90045-600x600.jpg
36 KB, 600x600
>>29732136
at least get the 37$ lee c-frame press and 30$ dies

http://www.titanreloading.com/presses/lee-reloader-press

so you won't feel like the absolute worst bottom of the barrel that ever existed in the world of handloading
>>
>>29732610
Thanks
>>
>>29733036
Federal AE .223 has crimped primer pockets too, super annoying.

There are tools available (primer pocket swager) that pushes the crimp out instead of cutting it, so that the primer pocket lasts longer, but they take a shittonne more effort to use than just cutting the crimp out with a countersink tool or something. For the volume of .223 that I go through, it's basically not worth the effort. Even trimming takes less time to the point where I don't really care to keep those cases.
>>
>>29733402
fuck. Winchester is the only brand I have found so far that accept primers easily.
>>
OP I bought my whole setup for a little less than $300. Its a Lee single stage press. They have a beginner kit that comes up for sale for around $200 every now and again. It comes with the press, scale, powder measure, and a few other little odds and ends (funnels, scoops, priming tool, etc) I then bought a set of digital calipers, ammo trays, case lube, case tumbler, and bullet puller for ~$70 from amazon. Buy all this shit around christmas time and ask for dies and other shit for christmas.
>>
>>29733046
Have this and it works just fine, plus you can use it as a dedicated decapper later on if/when you upgrade.
>>
>>29735889
Yep, we just bought a progressive (mainly for 9mm), but still have the single stage to full length size/decap new or range rifle brass and trim before heading to the progressive for loading.
>>
>>29733046
this OP. do you really want to be using the same technology the broke ass pakis use in khyber pass? comon you arent that poor, just pony up $150 to get a decent press where you can actually reload shit without banging on cases with a hammer like a caveman
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.