[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it a bad idea to buy a "high end" 1911 as your first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: wilson-combat-classic-2.jpg (356 KB, 1135x757) Image search: [Google]
wilson-combat-classic-2.jpg
356 KB, 1135x757
Is it a bad idea to buy a "high end" 1911 as your first handgun?
>>
File: typical 1911 owner.jpg (269 KB, 1698x632) Image search: [Google]
typical 1911 owner.jpg
269 KB, 1698x632
>>29726144
>Is it a bad idea to buy a "high end" 1911
>>
Yes it is a bad idea. Just get a 9mm polymer gun and learn how to shoot. Save the 1911 for when you know what the fuck you're doing.
>>
>>29726164
>Save the 1911 for when you know what the fuck you're doing.
How exactly will shooting a better gun make the 1911 stop being a piece of shit outdated design?
>>
>>29726144
Yes, it's a horrible idea.

Whether or not a 1911 is truly "high end" is going to come down to personal inspection of the firearm to assure it's quality. See
>>29726163
for an example.
Flaws in quality control even on the high end are more common than you may think.

Actually, I'd advise not getting a 1911 until either you've researched them thoroughly to know what to look for, or you're getting one for dirt cheap.
>>
>>29726144
Probably not. 1911s are pretty fucking smooth. I'm a pussy with tiny hands and don't like shooting anything bigger than 9mm, but I shot a friend's Springfield 1911 and it was like butter.

Wouldn't go so high-end that it costs you over $900 though. As a new shooter, the difference in the trigger would probably go completely unnoticed.
>>
>>29726144

there is not really any point in buying a high end 1911. There is so little difference between a mid market model that costs $600-$900 and a $3000 Volkmann that it's almost impossible to justify the price disparity unless you specifically want a safe queen.
>>
>>29726144
A high end 1911 is pretty much for that guy who already owns a couple but wants top quality regardless of diminishing returns.

Don't go spending $2,600 on a 1911 because you think it's going to be a signifigantly better shooter than an $800 one.

Go get a mid range 1911, some wilson combat mags and spend the rest on ammo
>>
Buy a fucking Tisas, they are under $400 and function just as good as any 1911 up to $1000. If you still want a higher end one after a while then go ahead and get one. A high end 1911 is utterly pointless tho.
>>
>1911
>high end

pick one
>>
File: auto ordnance 1911.jpg (158 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
auto ordnance 1911.jpg
158 KB, 900x675
>>29726958

Tisas, Rock Island, Auto Ordnance are all good and around the same price range. I went with the AO though since it is American made.
>>
>>29726144
Short answer: No.
Long answer: if you want a 1911 as a first handgun get a mid range one that isn't kimber, and get quality mags.
>>
>>29727082

AOs are fucking annoying now.
They changed the trigger design recently, and it has such sharp fucking edges that its painful to shoot.
>>
I plan on getting a 9mm infiniti when I get the cash
how does that sound
>muh cowboy of bebop
>>
>>29727204

Never heard of them having sharp triggers before. Even so, a new trigger is a $10 part.
>>
>>29727255

Trust me, I found out the annoying way.
I even emailed their customer service, and they told me that trigger type is on all their 1911s now.

Mine also had a pretty heavy trigger.
It was like 8 or 9 pounds.
>>
>>29726144
go buy a rock island. just ordered my 2nd 1911 from them, in 10mm. for under 600 dollars theyre quite nice.

it's such an old and refined design by now, so long as it's all made of fucking steel theres very few reasons to spend more than $1000 on a 1911 that you plan to actually go shoot often
>>
>>29726144
I'd say it really depends on the manufacturer.

For example, Kimber is about being pretty on the outside and they cost more because of that. It has nothing to do with functionality, they just charge more because it looks nice, which is a classic purchasing error for any product. You spend some ridiculous amount on a demascus steel 1911 with frill all over it and it's going to cost more than it's worth.

If it cost more because of some other reason, like it's handforged instead of machine made (STI for example) and it's more understandable.

Function is the deciding factor, not price. Too many people confuse expensive with quality.
>>
>>29727147
Kimbers aren't that better but they are expensive as fuck
>>
The Ruger SR1911's are also a good choice in that price range.

So yeah go buy any other handgun but a 1911.
>>
The only thing I've found that was good by kimber are their 8rd 45acp mags. They work great in my RIA and they have an anti tilt flower that the chip McCormick mags don't have. Also I can get them for $20 vs the $35+ for a WC 47D
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.