[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
starting out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: FB_IMG_1452634260510.jpg (76 KB, 1161x600) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1452634260510.jpg
76 KB, 1161x600
/k/ how do I start shooting?

I have no friends or family that shoot/own a firearm and the range near me has a no singles policy. I do have friends but none of them have experience either so I feel things will go south if we rent and they start dicking around.
I have asked my dad if he wants to go to range before but he is anti-gun so he has refused. Any suggestions?

I have looked for a NRA training course near by but there arnt any in a 25 mile radius around me.
>>
File: 1442105004158.png (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1442105004158.png
21 KB, 500x500
>>29717653
Learn basic firearm safety rules. This right off the bat will make you into a better shooter.

This extends to looking at guns over the counter at a gunstore, be concious of where you're pointing the gun.
>mfw constantly get flagged by fucking clerks at gunstores whenever I look at guns

You don't need to take an nra course. All you need is common sense.
>no singles policy

Bring a friend. Your friends aren't dipshits right? If they aren't, they will take safety as seriously as you do.
>>
1. Buy a 22
2. Go the range
3. ?????
4. Now you've learned to shoot
>>
>>29717653
where is you is?
>>
>>29718564
If you are asking where I live, I live in michigan.
>>
>>29718606
i dont know anything about michigan, but if you want to come to oregon i'll take you out to the desert to shoot things.
>>
>>29718606
>>29718636
look up hunters safety courses. required in oregon if youre under 18, but anyone can take it. the instructors would have answers to all your questions about where to shoot and stuff.
>>
>>29717825
this
I watched videos on youtube about guns so I knew how to operate them even if I had never had one in my hands
then I went and bought a couple
went to the range
shot
bought more
repeat

you can get a 22LR pistol or rifle for very cheap. then your range will let you rent guns because if you already have one they figure you'd just off yourself at home if suicide was your game
>>
File: hot little devil.jpg (40 KB, 163x225) Image search: [Google]
hot little devil.jpg
40 KB, 163x225
>>29718672
>then your range will let you rent guns because if you already have one they figure you'd just off yourself at home if suicide was your game

This. But if you want to be a mischievous little shit
>show them your gun and show them ammo you have it for over the counter
>they let you rent a gun
>kill yourself using their gun
>>
File: kbait_3.jpg (76 KB, 970x377) Image search: [Google]
kbait_3.jpg
76 KB, 970x377
>>29717694
my friends are like pic related.

>>29717825
>>29718636
>>29718661
>>29718672
>>29718712
Sorry for the ass load of question but I don't know any one to ask.

Where should I buy ammo? I know people say online but what are a few go to websites?
How much should I spend on my first gun (.22 rifle) and what model? marlin, 10/22, ar-7 or cheapest I can find at the local gun store so if I break it I won't be out a huge purchase?
What prices should should I be looking at for a first ar15 and ak variant(or vz-58)?
Would you recommend building your first ar-15 or buying a pre built?
What are some common ethics/ etiquette I should know/do that a first time shooter might not know?
If I buy a gun online through a FLL dealer, how much should expect for the transfer (how much is not getting ripped off?)
What are the current standard cost (cents per round) of 9mm, .45 acp, 5.56, 7.62x39/54r
Should collect brass? Or should buy steel cased ammo to save money?
Are mosins and sks still worth buying? if so what should be my cut off for costing too much?
I know people been saying the k31 is the new mil surp to get. is that true? if not what are other milsurps you would recommend to a new shooter? Springfield? Lee Enfield? M1?

Thanks for all the info so far. I have been going through the stick again but this is helping alot.
>>
>>29719303
try wal-mart or a sporting goods place first. if you buy online you'll face $15-$25 shipping fees so you'll want to really buy in bulk. sgammo.com or wherever has cheap shit via ammoseek.com.

get a 10/22, or if you're cheap get a marlin 795, it's similar in quality

ar-15 prices vary a lot. $500-$1500, depending on how much you post in /arg/ which happens to also equate to how much of a homosexual you are

build your own ar-15 from PSA, you just need a lower, a lower parts kit, and a full upper, and it's easy to assemble

don't point the gun anywhere but down range, and mind your own business

$20-$30 is a standard price for a FFL transfer, and they should give you a deal if you transfer more than one gun. some places, especially gun shops, charge way more. fuck those guys.

go fucking look at the prices yourself.

steel is fine but russia tends to give you a few duds per thousand, and if the gun likes to strike the primer light you'll run into issues. also the steel doesn't expand as much so it gets your gun dirtier. for shit like .223 i buy brass and sell the casings and end up paying about the same price as i would if i were to buy steel.

sks is nice but i wouldn't pay more than $400. mosin i wouldn't pay more than $200.

k31 is a nice rifle but unless you reload the ammo is $1 a pop. i'd recommend collecting anything that you find personally interesting because the ammo costs might turn you off.
>>
>>29719370
>FFL $20-$30
Not OP but fuck I wish I could find that. Cheapest I can find is $50 and I've tried five places in the Austin area.
>>
I won't answer every question but

>Where should I buy ammo? I know people say online but what are a few go to websites?

bookmark slickguns, ammoseek. Be an educated shopper and never overspend again

Buy your ammo in bulk at once online, if you do it right, you will save loads of money and never have to worry about stupid shit like "gun panics"

>How much should I spend on my first gun (.22 rifle)
Get a Ruger 10/22 if you want a .22lr rifle as your first. It's a good choice. Incredible aftermarket that is only matched by the ar15. You can find them for $200 new on slickguns.

>Would you recommend building your first ar-15 or buying a pre built?

Build it. As someone who bought a pre built as his first gun, if you're going to buy an ar15, build one with exactly what you want in mind instead of paying for parts you know you don't want/need or may swap out in the future.

>If I buy a gun online through a FLL dealer, how much should expect for the transfer (how much is not getting ripped off?)

$10-$20 is what you should look at.

>What are some common ethics/ etiquette I should know/do that a first time shooter might not know?

You should make a point to call an FFL dealer to let them know who you are and let them know that you sent a firearm to transfer to them in advance.
>>
>>29717653
I don't get the "no singles" policy. I've never heard of such a thing. You can't just show up and shoot?
>>29718661
>>29719303

I agree about taking a hunter safety course. I used to teach them. They're cheap and the instructors are usually very enthusiastic about helping out people who want to learn more. That could be a great place to start

Try to find some good gunshops with helpful staff & used guns. I agree about starting with a 22 rifle. I'd consider a bolt action first; they are much easier to maintain and don't have issues with hating certain kinds of ammo. They are also cheaper to buy. You may be able to get a deal on a very nice used model. Pick something that feels satisfying, fits you well (your eye should naturally line up with the sights), and has good adjustable sights.
>>
>>29719942
>I've never heard of such a thing. You can't just show up and shoot?

They do this to deter people from renting a gun then killing themselves at the range. It's a /tv/ meme if you hear about it for theaters
>>
File: 1455040900130.jpg (122 KB, 1023x986) Image search: [Google]
1455040900130.jpg
122 KB, 1023x986
>>29717653
>the range near me has a no singles policy.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 236x362) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 236x362
>>29719968
Perhaps you can convince them you're not going to an hero by talking them up like considering what gun you may or may not want to buy.

Unhinged people don't talk about wanting to learn basic safety rules and don't come off as a spergs.
>>
>>29719964
Yikes. That is messed up. I guess I haven't seen that policy in Texas because it's assumed that if you're renting in order to try out a particular gun, and probably already have plenty at home to off yourself if you wanted to.
>>
>>29719985
It's standard in the dark, cold states

Really OP, move somewhere that you're free. I live in KS and I shoot on a friend's land.
>>
Hehe you guys actually shoot at gun ranges? Just go innawoods OP. It's the only way to really shoot.
>>
File: 1458366099359.jpg (119 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1458366099359.jpg
119 KB, 640x960
Look into Appleseed courses. I know they have a Michigan presence, but you might have to drive farther than 25 miles.

>>29719370
All good recommendations here.
>>
>>29717653
OP is strangely soft-spoken to come on here.

Who could he be??
>>
>>29717653
Wait until the holidays and bring another family member I guess.

Look up an old cousin and invite them for Christmas or something.
>>
>>29719370
>>29719406
Thank you you very much. Is there any on line resources deciding what parts you want? Like if you want a certain aspect, buy ...

>>29720045
I live in the suburbs and have no wooded area near by. What woods can you shoots in? Like hunting grounds?

>>29720294
Do I sound out of character of who usually visit /k/ or ask these questions? I'm just a plain old no-guns lurker.

>>29720301
I'm an immigrant so I have no family in the country.

>>29719942
I wish I had guns stores near by, closest ones are +20 mins. If you look at a map of where I live, you will see a donut shape of gun ranges/shops
>>
>>29717653
> no singles policy.
WTF?! I shoot alone all the time. Mostly because my friends are deployed elsewhere.
>>
>>29721278
and I live hole

And I how do you clean your guns?
Field Strip them, put gun cleaner on everything, nylon brush everything, let it sit, wipe it clean, oil metal on metal contact, re assemble gun?
>>
>>29721309
Well the singles policy only applies to people renting guns.
>>
I was in that situation. I went to the range, chatted with the guy behind rental counter. Paid one of their employees 20 bucks to show me the ropes. Luckily he was a competitive shooter and knew his stuff.
>>
>>29719303
>Where should I buy ammo? I know people say online but what are a few go to websites?

There are many places, but I usually use cheaperthandirt.com and luckygunner.com for the bottom shelf Tula.

Here's a good tool for finding deals - http://www.gunbot.net/

>How much should I spend on my first gun (.22 rifle) and what model? marlin, 10/22, ar-7 or cheapest I can find at the local gun store so if I break it I won't be out a huge purchase?

Get the 10/22 if you can. New guns go for $200-300 while used guns go for lower.

>What prices should should I be looking at for a first ar15 and ak variant(or vz-58)?

You could build an AR for $430-$450. $40-60 for a stripped lower receiver plus $390 for a Palmetto State Armory rifle build kit. I don't have much experience with buying AKs so I can't say much there.

>Would you recommend building your first ar-15 or buying a pre built?

Build. You might as well learn how the guts work now. Working with a completely disassembled gun is much more educational than simply field stripping one.

PS: Building AKs is possible, but is much more intensive. I don't recommend you do it unless you've got at least a basic knowledge of metalworking.

>What are some common ethics/ etiquette I should know/do that a first time shooter might not know?

Most of it's common sense, but a few things.

When shooting at a gun range, make sure to load your magazines at the range and not at home. Most ranges will check to see that you don't have any AP ammunition to damage the backdrop.

Don't put your thumb behind the slide of a handgun. It will hurt.

cont.
>>
>>29719303
>>29721500

>What are the current standard cost (cents per round) of 9mm, .45 acp, 5.56, 7.62x39/54r

Prices fluctuate, a lot. It also depends on if you're buying in bulk. A box of 20 is going to have a higher cost per round than a crate of 1000.

>Should collect brass? Or should buy steel cased ammo to save money?

It's a good idea to save the brass, even if you're not reloading. That being said, if you don't think you'll ever reload ammunition, then do what you're comfortable with. I personally shoot steel case because I'm a cheap bastard. And I still keep the empties for some reason.

Do note that it's technically possible to reload steel case, it's not recommended. Also to note that there are people out there saying that shooting steel case will damage your gun, but I haven't looked into that much so I don't have an definitive answer. All I know is that steel case works.

>Are mosins and sks still worth buying? if so what should be my cut off for costing too much?

Once upon a time Mosins and SKSs could be had for $80. Those days are long gone. Now Mosins are $200, $150 if you're lucky. That being said, if Ukraine can unfuck itself we may see Mosins and nugget food come down in price. SKSs are now $400-500 for a basic model, more for rarer models. 7.62x39 has always been cheap to shoot though.

>I know people been saying the k31 is the new mil surp to get. is that true? if not what are other milsurps you would recommend to a new shooter? Springfield? Lee Enfield? M1?

tl'dr anything you can get your hands on. Milsurps will only go up in price. If you're planning to shoot them it's a good idea to get a gun in a popular cartridge. 7.5 Swiss is somewhat difficult to find in my area and I haven't seen a box of .303 in a while. It's a lot easier to get online but it seems gun stores don't have them in stock.

A big warning though, some milsurps might not take too well to modern ammunition.
>>
>>29717653
>no singles policy
What?
>>
File: tumblr_o41zc5J7Uc1r25tbfo1_1280.jpg (483 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o41zc5J7Uc1r25tbfo1_1280.jpg
483 KB, 1024x682
>>29719303
>I know people been saying the k31 is the new mil surp to get. is that true?
Great rifle, expensive ammo

> if not what are other milsurps you would recommend to a new shooter? Springfield? Lee Enfield? M1?
M1903 is expensive but by all accounts very nice. M1917 good if you can find 'em. Lee Enfield good but expensive ammo (.308 "Ishapore" Enfield good if you can find 'em.). M1 is very sexy but not a great choice for babby's first. Yugo Mauser is a good go-to--there are lots of them around for ~$250 in decent condition, perfectly fine rifles, and they shoot a nice big boolit.
>>
>>29721689
It's so people don't rent a gun and off themselves.
>>
>>29719303
10/22 is a pretty good starting rifle. Has alot of aftermarket shit you can buy.
>>
>>29722691
The 10/22 is a perfectly decent rifle, but I think OP should definitely look into the used rack & at bolt actions.

My gripes with the 10/22:
>Funky bolt lock.
>Icky wide plastic trigger.
>Grotesquely obese & ugly aluminum receiver
>The cheaper ones have really shitty plastic stocks with nothing you could call "bedding." If you get a 10/22, get wood or laminate.
>Demented design--don't even think about taking it apart unless you have gunsmith tools (punches), good instructions, and are patient.
>Innards get incredibly filthy, so you NEED to take it apart eventually.
>Action does a cheap-sounding shuffle-rattle with every shot, reminding you that Bill Ruger hates milled steel and designed this rifle to be as cheap as possible to manufacture. He's like the evil alternate universe's version of John Browning, where everything is make of plastic and investment castings.

(Seriously, though, B.Ruger was a great designer in his own right.)
>>
>>29717653
is there any public land in your area that allows target shooting?
if you live in the western US there might be some BLM land, try checking their site
>>
>>29719370
>$20-$30 is a standard price for a FFL transfer

Nig, In NH anything over $15 is robbery. I pay $10.
>>
>tfw every range in my tricounty area has a no singles policy
>tfw I said my mum could take me but they said parents dont count if you're 18+
>they said this was to make sure no "undesirables" learned how to use firearms

im fucked arent I?
>>
>>29724133
My dad started me off with a Ruger 10/22. His had a wood stock. Never really had issues with it. Just cleaned the barrel still works just fine. A bolt action 22 is also nice, easier to maintain. OP should look into a lever action 22 because they are pretty fun as well.
>>
>all these rangecucks

Just shoot in your yard
>>
>hurr 1sr gun getta twenny too!

22. is basically a BB gun, has no uses besides plinking, and is usually $200+.

best first gun is a singleshot 12ga like a Rossi Pomba or Baikal MP18. These can actually be used to hunt with and even in defense in a pinch. they will also only cost about $120 at most.
>>
>>29724536
I saw a 12 gauge pump at walmart for like $190

why get a single shot anymore?
>>
>>29724546
thats a good deal man, if a new shooter sees a pump shotgun that cheap it should be their first gun.
>>
>>29724536

>22. is basically a BB gun

Look I know you're probably European and you can't help but talk out of your ass because you're not allowed to own real guns; but could you maybe tone it down a little.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.