[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LCS is a national embarrassment. It's going to get Americans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
LCS is a national embarrassment.

It's going to get Americans killed.
>>
>>29710910
It's a shame too. I really like the idea of that ship.

Kinda wish they'd bring the hydrofoils back too.
>>
Isn't that corrosion thing something that has been known about for literal centuries?
>>
>>29710926
>inb4 9001 littoral puns
>>
It is within budget dont worry the repair cost is not that high
>>
Is OP the Listerine drinking autist?

>>29710926
You want to know why you haven't heard about it outside of memes in years?

Because it wasn't actually a big issue and was already resolved.
>>
>>29710951
>the Listerine drinking autist
what this
>>
America is rich throwing money at a problem makes it go away
>>
>>29710910
>Aluminum.

Rrrrrrrgh!
>>
>>29710910
Probably, when the Coast Guard fields a cutter better suited for the job, you should go back to the drawing board. That said I find the Independence class sexy as fuck
>>
Maybe they should make a frigate without the high speed meme requirement
Or the meme modularity
>>
>>29710910
large ammounts of aluminium and small ammounts of steel shouldnt be a problem
unless they use som copper based antifouling
this is shit thats been known for ages though
>>
File: SSC-Modified-LCS-Austal-USA.jpg (118 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
SSC-Modified-LCS-Austal-USA.jpg
118 KB, 960x720
>>29710910

The only problem with it is that the minesweeper and anti-submarines modules aren't completed yet. Once it has those, it will be a capable multi-role frigate.
>>
>>29710951

No, he's not. I am.

I'm enjoying not tripping, there are plenty of other anons that think like me and every time someone makes or comments in a navy thread, my haters get all schizo and think the magical Listerine autist is always on /k/ complaining about the navy like some kind of omnipotent god of shitposting.. It's kinda amusing.

>>29710910

This has happened before, never heard about steel and aluminum causing galvanic corrosion. They must have used too much nickel in one of the alloys. One time a guy built a two hundred foot yacht with a monel hull and steel supports, the thing corroded away within weeks. Monel is still an amazing metal though.
>>
>>29711480
the corrosion problem was known and a fix was applied. It has since been corrected on all affected ships and modifications made to the design for future build.

>op blowing shit out of his ass over old news
>shits been fixed yo.
>>
>>29710962

I'm an alcohol that basically trolls /k/ with logical opinions that nobody likes. I've had to resort to drinking equate brand Listerine from time to time because I'm truly a shameless alcoholic with no money and low standards.

Woe is me, oh the humanity.....

That said it's pretty safe so long as you're not drinking it each day or in massive quantities. I try to stay away from kinds with menthol or excessive additives.

Other anons, if you EVER have opinions /k/ doesn't like and you happen to share unique details about your life, you'll see the same phenomenon I'm seeing where confirmation bias and hatred causes other anons to think you're everywhere.
>>
>>29710910

They forgot the one thing that keeps this from happening on boats all over the world. Sacrificial Zincs.
>>
>>29711540
>I'm an alcohol that basically trolls /k/ with logical opinions that nobody likes.
>logical opinions
>logical

You suggest retarded shit, get BTFO by logic and repeat yourself just to get BTFO again.
>>
LCS is a national embarrassment.
>>
>>29711566

But it's true... battleship designers underestimated planes, and armor schemes never got a chance to evolve to their full potential. And with nuclear power, fuel efficiency isn't an issue. And ship designs needs to be able to take at least one torpedo without splitting in half, something must be done. And I'm certain that in total war against an enemy with equal capabilities, our ship survivability will be total garbage. And if we have the technology to make guns that can outrange carrier launched planes, there's no reason why battleships wouldn't be feasible.

Our ships just need more armor! Good luck doing damage control when a third of your crew is dead or wounded and from one hit you're in a battle.
>>
>>29711715
>armor schemes never got a chance to evolve to their full potential

By this logic anti-ship weapons never got the chance to evolve against your unobtanium armor.

What you can't grasp, hence why you keep being BTFO, is modern DDG's are better protected than any battleship was. Armor is not the only way to defend against attacks.
>>
>>29711945
The one time CIWS was tested in combat it misidentified a flare and fired upon an American ship. It's never even been tested against a missile. They use slow moving drones flying perpendicular to the ship one at a time, and then say CIWS is good.

CIWS can't handle a real missile, much less multiple incoming. It's a joke.
>>
>>29711945

If tank logic was like navy logic we'd stop armoring tanks and force them to rely on electronic defenses while expecting them to have higher survivability.

>>29712147

I think CIWS and anti missile missiles have potential, but for the same reasons soldiers get armor plates, ships should too.
>>
>>29712215
Until you realize most soldiers don't wear their full body armor because its heavy as shit and restricts their movements.

They also cannot carry sophisticated gear that allows them to shoot down incoming bullets.
>>
>>29712281

To be fair we kinda expect soldiers to carry too much weight.

Hopefully robots will lighten loads and troops will be more likely to use their armor
>>
>>29712147
>The one time CIWS was tested in combat it misidentified a flare and fired upon an American ship.

Using a 20 year old incident is not very convincing, and it displays an extreme lack of knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>29712215
Soldiers do not fight on the open ocean.
>>
>>29710926
Yes. Steel hulls and bronze propellers, among other things. And every other ship or boat that has Detacouple joints.
>>
>>29712215
>I think CIWS and anti missile missiles have potential, but for the same reasons soldiers get armor plates, ships should too.

This is retarded. Soldiers fight within 1000meters of the enemy with rifles. Ships fight FAR beyond visual distance with missiles. If ships were still using guns to fight other ships you might make sense.
>>
>>29712320
Well then show us your knowledge anon. What is the most convincing test or incident you know of that would prove CIWS capabilities.

Oh wait there is none. It has never even been tested in a realistic scenario, not even an easy one. CIWS doesn't work. It's just a useless billion dollar talisman.
>>
>>29712147
Tells us why you focus on 80's era CIWS when;

-SM-6/3/2 exist
-ESSM exists
-RIM-116 exists
-Phalanx 2b exists

Let alone aircraft and EW.
>>
>>29711540
Don't drink anything with methanol OP, or else you won't be able to post on your favorite Laotian shadow puppetry board when you go blind.
>>
>>29712352
Except missiles are spotted as they come over the horizon and ships rarely have time to react & shoot them down

It's only the US who can keep 24/7 awacs coverage, and thats only over the carriers.
>>
>>29712394
>missiles are launched from the void
>>
These threads are international embarrassments.
>>
>>29712394
>Except missiles are spotted as they come over the horizon and ships rarely have time to react & shoot them down

Carrier aircraft are not the only form of AEW, and just how far do you think ships can see with their radars?
>>
File: your brain on listerine.png (1 MB, 1902x9492) Image search: [Google]
your brain on listerine.png
1 MB, 1902x9492
>>29712447
Listerine fiend is a cosmic embarrassment.
>>
>>29712475
At this point listerine has surpassed my scenario.
>>
>>29712475

And the cosmos seems to tolerate me fine.

You know, aside from clouds taking shapes and black mist following me around.
>>
>>29712389

I'm already blind, close to legally blind. Been like that since I was little.

I'll drink whatever I want.

Somethings gonna kill me one day anyways
>>
>>29711158
Retired Coastie here. It looks like the LCS class are sort of a proof of concept thing, which will result in new cutter acquisitions in about 25 years. Once the bugs are ironed out, LCS will be an ideal CG platform. The National Security class cutters are a waste of time, sort of dumbed down OHP-style frigates.

CG has traditionally had a difficult time developing new cutter classes because they don't have enough economic clout to get what they want. It always turns into Design by Congressional Decree, and never ends well.

I think the whole LCS program was done as a favor to the CG. In return, among other things, the CG paid for some Coasties to go through the SEAL pipeline and obligate 5 years on the teams.

At least that's how I hope it played out. Otherwise, that Coastie SEAL thing makes no sense at all.
>>
>>29712371
Those can't intercept incoming missiles either. Or at least, we have no reason to believe they actually have that capability. Sales brochure claims notwithstanding.

The fact is that once the enemy launches antiship missiles we have no reliable way to stop them.
>>
>>29712587

Which is why I, the great listerinefiend, believes ships need armor.
>>
>>29710910
This ship is littorally a joke
>>
>>29712389
menthol ≠ methanol mate
>>
>>29712541
I wasn't aware the Coast Guard used their ships to MCM or ASW.
>>
File: 1454729948014.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1454729948014.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>29712587
>Those can't intercept incoming missiles either.

Poe's law is in full effect.
>>
why does it have such a tiny gun?
>>
>>29712587
+25 rubles
>>
>>29712876
For appearances. It will never actually use it. Hopefully.
>>
>>29712876

Because a smaller caliber means you can hold more ammunition.
>>
>>29712912
Why not have 2 guns then? It's got the deck length.
>>
File: laughing african americans.jpg (47 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
laughing african americans.jpg
47 KB, 460x276
>>29712901
>mfw that's not even 50 cents
>>
>>29712922
because these guns they use need structure to be mounted to, and plenty of space below them

These are not combat ships, the gun is just because congress requires it
>>
File: american-psycho-bateman.jpg (62 KB, 600x327) Image search: [Google]
american-psycho-bateman.jpg
62 KB, 600x327
>>29712949

>Littoral Combat Ships
>These are not combat ships
>>
>>29712961
They picked a bad name and made some other stupid decisions, like trying to do 2 different hulls,
>>
>>29712876
the 57mm is a dual purpose gun
>>
>>29711480

Wouldn't a 40 of MD 20/20 be cheaper than listerine? Is not like you care about taste or anything.
>>
>>29712972
Except the name is accurate.

The purpose of 2 hulls is to keep 2 shipyards alive, which as you might have noticed with the Mistral's Russia wanted to buy is a perishable capacity.
>>
>>29712972

I'll agree with that. If by some prank of God I ended up in charge of the LCS program, the very first thing I'd change is the name, as well as axing the Freedom-class and focusing on the more-innovative Independence-class design.
>>
>>29713015
two hulls would have been fine if it wasn't for this modularity meme

They have one ship thats limited on floor space
Another ship thats limited on weight

That alone is the reason its been delayed and none of the modules work.

If one was the anti-surface and anti-sub
While the other was anti-surface and anti-mine
everything would have been fine
>>
>>29710910
>massive fucking corrosion
>nah senpai, we still good to sail

Gentlemen, meet the US Navy.
>>
>>29713035

>If one was the anti-surface and anti-sub
While the other was anti-surface and anti-mine
everything would have been fine

Yes.
>>
File: 1460826394482.gif (991 KB, 224x179) Image search: [Google]
1460826394482.gif
991 KB, 224x179
>>29710951
yep, they "fixed" it just as they "fixed" the Javelin defective problems that's why 1 in 5 that they fired is a fucking dud
>>
>>29711480
>there are plenty of other anons that think like me

no, you're pretty fucking unique actually
>>
>>29713035
Why do you think the equipment being used for MCM and ASW would be done sooner when their delays have nothing to do with the LCS hulls.
>>
>>29711540
>logical opinions

no. not at all.
>>
>>29711715
Not, it's not true, you just refuse to listen to anything that anyone tells you and then argue in circles until everyone else just goes away.
>>
>>29713099
What exactly is the purpose of stating such an obvious lie?
>>
>>29712628

Ships DO have armor. Just not the stupid amount that you're asking for.
>>
>>29711679
fucking weeb pandering anime garbage ruining what would be a perfectly good anime. Weebs ruin fucking everything. I hope berserk never gets finished and anime industry actually crashes because weebs pirate everything and never pay for shit
>>
>>29713129
Because then they wouldn't have had arbitrary size & weight limits imposed on them, which is what caused their failure in the first place
>>
>>29713165

>Actually responding to that.

Did you notice that nobody else responded? They didn't take the bait. You did. Learn from this experience.
>>
>>29712832
they did in the 80s. all the gear, including harpoon missiles and sea sparrow, was removed in the mid-90s or so.
>>
>>29713004
Listerenefag is obviously under age.

Box wine is cheaper per ounce of ethanol than MD 20/20 btw. I did the math once.
>>
>>29712832
Buoy tenders periodically engage in MCM exercises with the Navy. They're a decent platform for the task. They could probably even be good at it, if they were able to practice more than about once every 4 years.

Our 378s had STs, Nixies, and torpedoes up until around the 90s. Iirc, the Nixies came off before the FRAM cycle, torpedoes came off after. ST rating went away halfway through. Those cutters were legacy stuff from when the USSR was the big threat. One cutter even had Harpoons for a while.

ASW got shuffled to the back burner for a while, it may become an issue again because China.

If the LCS platform gets turned over, the MCM module would probably get repurposed for ATON, parts of the ASW module would probably become an oceanographic package.

We don't normally do this stuff, nor would we be particularly good at it. We do need to retain the ability to install the capability.
>>
>>29713198
>which is what caused their failure in the first place
>>29713155
>>
>>29712587
>missiles are unstoppable win buttons that fly at the speed of light and can never be defeated.

do you want to know how i know you are russian?
>>
Does mixing steel and aluminum parts on normal rifles cause problems as well? I feel like I should check my guns for galvanic corrosion.
>>
>>29715738
yes. keep that shit away from salt water for the love of jesus. in fact, just move to a land locked state and never leave your home, yes im serious
>>
>>29713348

I live in a dry county.. It's technically wet but every city I've lived in was dry.

I do what I have to do.

And box wine is 14 fucking bucks. Equate mouthwash isn't brand name Listerine... and it's much more affordable.

>>29713150

I can't deny that... I'm pretty much just here to pass time with meaningless banter.

I mean, it's not like the Pentagon is watching what I say and thinking "hmmm, sounds like a good idea". They would obviously know I'm a dumbass shitposter.
>>
Because of the order in which you arranged the photos or for some reason I felt your pics were telling me a story; First your fully clothed, presenting to us the way the world sees you and the way you feel the wrold see you Secondly you reveal to us your sensual side and let us peek ar your desires Next your passion burns as you silde down your trousers and expose your womanly power! You're womanhood! You lay down...your body awaits...you yearn for penetration, you need it! All is exposed, and it is time to take you and ravange your body. ;)
>>
>>29711372
Did you really need to clarify that the Hellfires on a Navy vessel are "ship fired"?
>>
>>29716028
Look at the helicopter.
>>
the whole LCS concept is just stupid. Even if they didn't go over budget or have problems they still would be idiotic. Are subs that big of a threat? We have many attack subs already, plus every ship with a helicopter.

Mines I can understand.

Boats swarms... every surface combatant we have can already do that.

Why is littoral even important? How much shallower is its draft compared to an Arleigh Burke?

It would make sense if the navy was desperate for a show of force in third world nations that only have a few diesel subs, small boats and mines. Are they?
>>
File: Goalkeeper_CIWS_target.jpg (468 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
Goalkeeper_CIWS_target.jpg
468 KB, 1152x864
>>29712147
What's this then?
>>
>>29715788
You need to get a fucking job listerenefag. This behavior is not healthy or normal or acceptable in any way.
>>
>>29716148

BASED CIWS
>>
>>29716113

>Are subs that big of a threat?

A submarine is perhaps the ONLY thing that could take out a carrier strike group so you can bet your ass they want to have that avenue of attack covered as thoroughly as possible.
>>
>>29716170

I'll just strap on my job helmet, climb into the job cannon, and BLAST OFF to jobland!!

I'm sick of work. I'm tired of being spied on and stalked and followed around.

Every time I work up to a managerial position I'm suddenly surrounded by drug dealers, undercover cops, and cameras.

>get a job

Oh yea, and enjoy having the vast majority of my earnings taken via taxes?

WHAT A FUCKING HONOR.
>>
>>29715788
>>29716420
Fuck off to /r9k/ where they like NEETs. Your constant retreading of WW2 naval doctrine is unwanted here.
>>
>>29716757

Armor was the standard for centuries. I didn't change the doctrines.

And every time I get a job I eventually get chased off. I have a tendency to work the same job for YEARS. I have put work above all else more than many people my age.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.