[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the weapon for self-defense if I was innamedievaltimes.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: flamingfist.jpg (73 KB, 404x415) Image search: [Google]
flamingfist.jpg
73 KB, 404x415
What is the weapon for self-defense if I was innamedievaltimes.
>>
Dagger.
>>
hammer with pick on backside. backup short sword.

hamer breaks bones, pick defeats plate armour
sword parries long pole weapons.
>>
>>29707054
What are you doing in medieval times? Just hanging out in town, fighting on the battlefield, dirt farming?

Just like a battle rifle beats the shit out of a snub nose revolver when it comes to self defense, a poleaxe is much better than a dagger, but you can't conceal a poleaxe. Different tools for different situations
>>
File: hence-no-utensils.jpg (101 KB, 570x239) Image search: [Google]
hence-no-utensils.jpg
101 KB, 570x239
Not a fork I can tell you that
>>
>>29707054
A short sword or a dagger.

>>29707119
>hammer
Imagine going every day about your business carrying around a weight analogue of M240. There's a reason why the only blunt weapon to be frequently used out of large-scale combat was the wooden blackjack.
>>
>>29707119
Plate armor was rare in the medieval period, becoming really common in the early modern period.

>>29707054
Self defense, general walking around? You can't beat a quarterstaff. Cheap, durable, easily replaced and considered by some masters of defense to be better then a sword.

Other then that, a big knife, dagger or small axe is a good choice just as something to have around. Even when you aren't killing people it's likely to be useful.
>>
File: carlton-banks.jpg (17 KB, 192x240) Image search: [Google]
carlton-banks.jpg
17 KB, 192x240
>>29707054
>>
Assault crossbow
>>
File: images (12).jpg (26 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
images (12).jpg
26 KB, 512x288
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that
>>
>>29707054
Either a dagger or a sword, messer if late medieval times and in germanic countries.
>>
Mace, specifically a spiked mace. It defeats both plate and maille armor, all the while shattering bones and puncturing skin and organs. Maces can also take down shield-bearers and sometimes even doors, breaking the shield user's arm to disable the shield and the spiked ball can break through doors if you swing it hard enough. They're usually not much heavier than your standard arming sword but can be concealed or kept on your person easier than a blade.
>>
>>29707054
an axe
good for chopping wood and limbs
>>
>>29707054
catapult.

but in all seriousness, a dagger would probably be one of the most common for a city dwelling person, while a qaurterstaff would be more common for a rural person,
>>
>>29707119
>>29708750
>I need to defeat armor
No you dumbfucks. Anyone who wears armor in the first place also has a good military sword, a shield and more training than you will ever get. You don't "defend" yourself against this guy. You run away and hope his armor slows him down enough, or you die.
>>
A gun
>>
Maybe a rake or a staff

My kingdom banned sword or any other weapon unless you belong in a specific warrior caste. If you break the rule, you're eligible to be selected as human test dummy for the lord's new sword
>>
>>29707054
War hammer or flanged mace. Not particularly refined weapons, bur easier to use than swords, spears, bows etc.
>>
>>29707888
>hammer
>M240
Please stop playing Skyrim and thinking it's real life. Hammers weighed like four-five pounds max for a two-hander. A hammer of about one and a half feet in length could be expected to be around 3lbs maximum.

http://myarmoury.com/othr_aa_bec.html
>>
>>29707054
What time period ? Medieval times is quite a vast time period, with a lot of variation.

But then supposing you have some pass allowing you to actually carry weapons everywhere you go, and aren't limited by time periods, I'd say late period longsword. It would be a good balance of portability and fighting effectiveness. It wouldn't be too heavy as to bother you all the time, but would still allow you to tackle pretty much any opponent, though not always at an advantage. For example, someone in full armour would have the upper hand, but you'd still stand a chance. The same goes for someone wielding a spear.

>>29709091
Spears are far easier to use than hammers or maces, especially if your opponent is armed too. With a spear, you just stab the guy with the pointy end before he gets too close. With a mace or hammer, you have to strike someone at short range, before he gets you, with only a small portion of the hammer or mace head. There's a reason all untrained troops used spears and not hammers or maces.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 1280x720
Most commoners such as yourself were forbidden to have any weapons. Much less defend themselves from landowners. That's why in every depiction of a peasants uprising they have no armor, but hoes, threshing tools and sticks.

Policies like prima nocta are much easier to enforce on an unarmed populace.
>>
>1416
>not open carrying an oaken club with an iron tip
Truly, there is no finer weapon against raiders from the kingdom of Dindu.
>>
>>29709332
The ius primea noctis is an unproven myth.
>>
>>29709332
>commoners such as yourself were forbidden to have any weapons
In medieval England it was a legal obligation for all adult men to be armed according to their status.
>>
>>29709495
yup anon here is correct, all free landowning individuals were required to be ready for war depending on their class, the most famous examples would be the yeoman longbow troops
>>
File: cz-lm-70-langesmesser1.jpg (96 KB, 2000x615) Image search: [Google]
cz-lm-70-langesmesser1.jpg
96 KB, 2000x615
What's with all the idiots saying maces or blunt weapons? There is no fucking way you'd need to defeat armoured opponents in a self-defense situation, and even if you were attacked by someone ir armor, you've already lost if you don't wear any. Blunt weapons have short range, are cumbersome to carry and draw, and are actually less effective than sharp weapons against unarmoured opponents.
Your best bet is, depending on carry rules in your kingdom, a sword, a dagger or a large knife like pic related.
>>
>>29709771
>all free landowning individuals were required to be ready for war
From 1252 even villeins had to have weaponry as well.
>>
>>29707054
a dirk, which was like a combined eating utensil and a basic self defense knife
>>
>>29709332
>How I can tell you know nothing about the medieval period - the post
>>
>>29709771
ALL subjects had to be armed
>>
>>29707161
Medieval times is awesome
>>
>>29710745
Depends on the period, at times only freemen and above were required to keep arms.
>>
>medieval ireland
>me name is Fearghus Ó Raghallaigh

Yeah, I'd be carrying a blackjack to beat the shit out of some thugs with my brute strength. Probably a large knife, too, just to be sure.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.