[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /k/ I'm more of an /o/ guy but I started getting into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: jan 2012 taxes.png (358 KB, 912x765) Image search: [Google]
jan 2012 taxes.png
358 KB, 912x765
sup /k/ I'm more of an /o/ guy but I started getting into knives and wanted to get a new one to carry around and flip around. I stumbled upon this knife, bear and sons model 114D 5" Silver Vein Butterfly Damascus, in a video and thought it looked awesome. I know balisongs can get pretty pricey and the price normally reflects quality, but just wanted to ask if any of you have had experience and would recommend this knife?
>>
>>29702215
>>>/toy
>>>/asp/
>>>/r9k

take your pick
>>
>>29702227
" While guns are the primary topic, threads involving any other sort of weapons, from swords and knives to tanks and jet fighters, come up frequently as well."
>>
Butterfly knifes are accessoires more then anything.
So yes
>>>/toy/
>>
>butterfly knife
>remotely practical in any way
OP were you dropped as a child?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-22-17-45-51.png (2 MB, 794x1416) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-22-17-45-51.png
2 MB, 794x1416
>>29702320
>>29702310
Fair enough, here's my s&w m&p shield 9mm for payment. What about the practicality of brass knuckles?
>>
>>29702215
FMA guy here. Balisongs are pretty neato if you actually train with them a bit and don't try to do anything flashy if you have to pull it in self-defense. Check your local laws, as some places restrict them, and idly flipping a sharp balisong in public may be a bad plan. You can get balisong trainers pretty cheap if you want to lrn 2 git gud and not bleed all over the place/fuck up your knife when you drop it.
>>
File: kbar tanto.jpg (329 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
kbar tanto.jpg
329 KB, 600x600
you might like this mil-spec
>>
>>29702503
i was just thinking to have it at home to dick around with from time to time, then maybe learn some cool tricks and showoff
>>29702632
not really a sword guy
>>
>>29702632

That looks really cool, but I am disappointed to see all the reviews of it breaking easily.
>>
>>29702713
>have it at home to dick around with from time to time
Get a blunt balisong trainer to start out with, they're cheap and you won't sever any important tendons when you're fucking around.
>>
>>29702215
Hey op let me clue you in to a secretive secret. You know the legendary benchmade model 42? Well...search 'bm42' on DHGate website

When you see the prices, you'll shit yourself. And it is worth it
>>
>>29702503
>some places restrict them

Most, actually. They're illegal to carry pretty much everywhere most people on this board would be posting from, and are illegal to own in many of those places as well.

In general, I agree about them being more practical than most people think, though. When you put all the stupid flashy twirling shit aside, it's just a simple knife design that's easy to deploy quickly/one-handed. That's a good thing.There's nothing really wrong with the knife itself except for the people who use them for stupid shit. But, good ones tend to be ridiculously expensive (besides the chinese knockoffs), and their legal status makes carrying one a big risk. Compared to other options, that makes them a shit choice for carry.
>>
I have one and I don't recommend getting it.
>>
>>29702215
You can go to academy sports and get a practice one for 20$
Save yourself cuts and money. You'll never use a butterfly as an actual knife.
>>
>>29702390
less practical than the butterfly knife
>>
>>29702215
Flipping is fun (I have a semi-custom knife that I use) but it's not practical, however in daily use they aren't bad for opening boxes.

Dont get the bears and sons
>>
>>29702215
Bear and sons is mid to low teir, if your looking into collecting knives, don't start with a balisong but if you do spend the money and get something nice. By the time you learn how to do anything near that thing is going to be on its last leg. I speak from experience just get a benchmade.
>>
>>29702215
balisongs are absolutely fucking horrible edcs. I have one because it's fun to flip around. but they're impractical and slow compared to basically any other folder.
>>
File: IMG_5024.jpg (68 KB, 533x800) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5024.jpg
68 KB, 533x800
Hey. A bali thread. My specialty. I've had a B&S before. The same version as the one OP posted. Minus the Damascus, the 114 Silver Vein. It was pretty dang decent for the price. If you're just getting into the hobby, it'd definitely recommend it.

As a toy to mess around with or a tool to keep your hands busy (a big thing with me, I like to fidget a lot) they're fucking great. I like my Blade Runners Systems Replicant, one of the best knives I own. In term of utility work and EDC purposed, they work just as well as any other knives, for me, they work even better because I'm personally a balisong guy first, and a knife guy second.

In terms of SELF DEFENSE eeehhhh, it's really hit or miss. Like, yeah, its sharpened steel like any other knife. But if you want to be able to deploy one quickly, thats gonna take a bit of practice, and you dont even account for in the moment stresses and such. I've never had to use my bali in a SD situation thankfully. But even though my fast draw is just as fast as an assisted opening blade, theres a MUCH higher chance of me dropping my knife than the other guy, so, would I risk it? If it was the only means of defense I had on me, hell yeah. If I had one of my OTFs or AO knives? Probably would use of those.

But if you're mainly looking to flip it and use it to open the occasional box/package, spring for it dude.

And always check with your state laws and shit about owning, carrying etc etc.
>>
>>29708540
>BRS Replicant

Bro I got the same knife. Had to pay out the nose for it but considering they're extremely hard to find, it was worth it. I fucking love it. I'm having issues with flipping as of late because I'm a pussy and don't want to destroy myself or my favorite knife by trying to learn aerials or the Charlie Chaplin. Also I live in a state where I can carty it almost anywhere.
>>
File: P1010225.jpg (245 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
P1010225.jpg
245 KB, 1024x768
What's the best way to horizontal carry (i.e. small of the back) a knife while running so as to keep it from bouncing around? I can't find a way to do it with just running shorts.
>>
File: IMG_20141101_025100_218.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141101_025100_218.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
butterfly knifes are knifes for three fucking reasons

1. FUN AS FUCK, UNLESS YOUR INNER FEDORA!

2. Quality ones cut as well as anything else.

3. I can carry a gun anywhere I could legally carry this knife.
>>
>>29709577
even shit quality ones will cut as well as anything else. you can make a butter knife razor sharp if you wanted to.
ignoring how impractical they are, if you flip your knife a lot, you'll ding the end of the blade with the latch.
>>
You only get cut if you hold the bite handle or are doing ariels/ drop the knife.

When you start only do tricks involving hildong the safe handle. You have to seriouslu fuck up to cut yourself when holding the safe handle.

Self injury rates are why balisongs were made illegal.
>>
>>29709589
>>29709577
I re-read what I wrote.

>UNLEASH* YOUR INNER FEDORA!
>butterfly knifes are knifes for three fucking reasons
butterfly knifes are BEST knifes for three fucking reasons
>>
Butterfly knives are for 13 year olds, autists, and school shooters

Just pretend like you're not a faggot and get a normal knife.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.