[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the downsides to suppressed firearms? I've never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 7wbvv1c.gif (13 KB, 350x398) Image search: [Google]
7wbvv1c.gif
13 KB, 350x398
What are the downsides to suppressed firearms? I've never owned one but I find it strange they're not more common.

I usually see them on /k/ as SBR's. Is that just the cheapest way or is there a reason the SBR is the ideal for suppressing a firearm?

You have an unlimited budget for ONE weapon to use in a home or no farther than about across a street. Local laws apply.
1) What is it. Why isn't it integrally suppressed?
2) What is it loaded with. Why isn't it subsonic?
>>
>>29700176
You see suppressors on SBRs a lot because they are loud as shit, especially in doors.
The only viable use for suppressors is to minimize tinnitus, and prolly some other thing I'm forgetting
>>
>>29700176
Your unlimited budget conveniently ignores the big downside of cost. $200 just for the tax, then a few hundred more for the actual suppressor. I could get a whole other gun, or a good amount of ammo instead. Just to protect my ears on the off chance I need to protect my life/home.
>>
read up on the NFA ( national firearms act) of 1934.

suppressors/silencers/cans ( what ever you want to call them)
short barreled rifle
short barreled shotgun
destructive devices
any other weapon
and machine guns ( further limited by the 1986 Hughes amendment)

are all taxed and controlled items.

to buy one, you pay the price + fill out a mess of paper work and attach a check for $200 ( AOW is $5) and send it to uncle sam.

3-12 months later you get the paper work back with a literal stamp on it. then you go to your dealer, and pick up the item you payed for after completing a 4473
>>
>>29700176
>What are the downsides to suppressed firearms?
you'll shoot more and have less money
>SBR is the ideal for suppressing a firearm?
the ideal firearm to suppress would be a bolt gun with sub sonic ammo

sbr's are often suppressed because they look the coolest.
>What is it. Why isn't it integrally suppressed?
a ar-15 chambered in 458 socom and it is integrally suppressed.
>What is it loaded with. Why isn't it subsonic?
500gr sp subsonic
>>
Ignorant bong here, supressors are 'easy' to get here.

Why the big deal with supressors in the US?
>>
>>29703105
NFA shenanigans.
>>
>>29700176
What are the downsides to suppressed firearms?
>cost, maintenance, ease of use

I've never owned one but I find it strange they're not more common.
>public image
>laws
>cost

I usually see them on /k/ as SBR's. Is that just the cheapest way or is there a reason the SBR is the ideal for suppressing a firearm?
>SBRs louder than fucking hell, anything helps
>law/cost wise, in for a penny in for a pound

You have an unlimited budget for ONE weapon to use in a home or no farther than about across a street. Local laws apply.
1) What is it. Why isn't it integrally suppressed?
>Spike's 300blk compressor
2) What is it loaded with. Why isn't it subsonic?
>300blk can do both
>>
File: 1223904904642.jpg (1 MB, 2160x3600) Image search: [Google]
1223904904642.jpg
1 MB, 2160x3600
>>29703105
Completely backwards thinking on the government's part. They were originally banned ostensibly because of how much easier it made poaching, though I've also heard a rumor that some organized crime liked to use them (which may be a complete myth).

Anyway, decades pass and over time the only way most people are ever exposed to the idea of a suppressed weapon is when assassins, spies, and special forces types need to be sneaky on their favorite network TV show. If you ask the average American if you should buy a suppressor, they would probably immediately reply with "well why would you need a suppressor?"
>>
>>29703287
Have they somwhow stopped making poaching easier?
>>
>>29703448
No, it's just that that's a non-issue. To tax and restrict an item that makes an almost completely innocent crime slightly easier, then put it behind a wall of paperwork, registration, and bureaucracy just to fulfill the status quo is absurd. We're talking about a fucking aluminum tube.
>>
>>29700176
Lowers recoil and takes about 30 to 40 decibels off the muzzle blast.

You see guys firing high caliber weapons like .338 lapua using them a lot cuz it keeps the rifle from beating you up with recoil.

SBR's also suffer from recoil issues due to usually being so light, plus the shorter barrel leads to high noise levels.

Also they are very tacticool and guys just buy em cuz they look cool.

Why dont you see more of them?
Ask the ATF, buying one is a pile of paperwork, plus 6 to 9 months wait and a $200 tax stamp. They are also expensive, high end supressors can cost as much as the gun you want to put it on.

Plus in many states a having a barrel that has been threaded to fit one is illegal.

Also maintenance issues. They do make supressors you can take apart yourself but these suffer from baffle strikes (put one together slightly askew and the bullet strikes the inside of the suppressor, and you just shot the $900 supressor off the end of your gun, and probably ruined the threads on your threaded barrel too)

The most reliable supressors require you to send them back to the manufacturer for cleaning and maintenance. So having one outweighs most of the benifits unless you dont mind spending a bunch of extra time and money on something that doesnt even make your gun all that much quieter.

If the hearing protection act goes through and silencers get removed from the NFA list then we will probably see prices go down, until then its a really expensive toy that doesnt really do enough to justify the time, effort, and cash required to get one to most people.
>>
>>29702926
>AOW is $5
Was this a recent change?

What exactly is an AOW?
>>
>>29703566
>What exactly is an AOW?
Anything that has something funky with it that makes it not a "firearm," but doesn't meet the criteria for an SBR or SBS. Basically, put a foregrip on a pistol with no stock, and bam. AOW.
>>
>>29703448
Given the economy of the time poaching not just wild animals but also livestock was a concern. Today that's not an issue.>>29703476
>>
>>29703548
>You see guys firing high caliber weapons like .338 lapua using them a lot cuz it keeps the rifle from beating you up with recoil.
>SBR's also suffer from recoil issues due to usually being so light, plus the shorter barrel leads to high noise levels.
No, thats not how guns work.
>>
>>29703287
No, they'd ask why you needed a silencer because they're retarded.
>>
>What are the downsides to suppressed firearms?
>dirties your gun up much more quickly
>can spray gas in your face if you don't wear eyepro with certain guns
>you're paying an extra $200 for a right you already have
>you may accidentally burn your hand if you're dumb enough to touch it without a glove or some sort of insulation
>>
>when banning suppressors is so ridiculous even the fucking GUARDIAN rights a news article on why they shouldn't be a regulated item
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/08/gun-industry-silencers-suppressors-hearing-protection-congress
>>
>>29703598
Yes it is. Lern 2 physics mate.
>>
>>29703640
Damn, that's embarrassing.

Who remembers HR 3799, the "Hearing Protection Act"? It would remove suppressors from the NFA and make purchasing one exactly like buying a normal firearm over the counter. Except... it's probably never going to even see the light of day. But we can all keep the dream alive.
>>
>>29703105
Goes like this:
The NFA "national firearms act" listed a bunch of stuff that is restricted.

In legal terms restricted doesnt mean you cant have it, there are just limits put on getting them.

In this case anything on the NFA is still perfectly legal to own, but you have to pay a $200 tax stamp. (Which in 1936, when the NFA first opened, was a retarded amount of money, you could buy a full machinegun for $30 so it was meant to make it absurdly difficult to get anything on the list)

Fast forward to present day, $200 tax stamp aint jack shit anymore. So how do they make it absurdly hard for us to get NFA items now?

Paperwork. You have to apply for that tax stamp, which includes (correct me if im wrong guys) getting your finger prints registered, a signature from your local law enforcement agency, background check, and probably stuff I am missing.

So you do ALLLLL of that, and then wait 6 to 9 months (though I have heard of up to 18 month waits)

Worst part? You forgot to dot an i or cross a t and they reject it, you fix the error, and begin the wait all over again.

the ATF SAYS it takes so long because of personel shortages, but the reality is that such things are encouraged in the ATF because it creats a bottleneck and allows them to essentially ban such items by defacto.

So they arent violating the order that such things are legal and they have to supply a legal means of aquisition, but they make it so insanely difficult that anyone with a regular schedual cant really get one very easily.

Buying an NFA item like a supressor is essentially going to be a full time hobby.
>>
>>29703644
Are you implying the gasses are somehow stopped by a suppressor thereby reducing felt recoil?
>>
>>29703598
That is exactly how guns work.
>>
>>29703699
this is the wrongest thing i've ever read and you should not post here anymore

the NFRTR and associated paperwork have been in place since the nfa was passed

form corrections don't reset to the back of the line

tax stamp revenue goes to the treasury general fund, not the atf

the nfa branch regularly solicits public comments on how to streamline the process, and implements requests (eg abandoning CLEO signoff)

>they make it so insanely difficult that anyone with a regular schedual cant really get one very easily. Buying an NFA item like a supressor is essentially going to be a full time hobby.

???
Why does my schedule matter? If you can send and receive mail, you have end to end control of the process
Why do you think it's so stressful or difficult? Do you panic filling out 4473s or election ballots too?

I can understand an ethical objection to registering NFA items (shall not be infringed) but it seems like the biggest roadblock is ignorance and fear.
>>
>>29703902
>it seems like the biggest roadblock is ignorance and fear.
I concur. I have several silencers and people are always amazed at how simple the process is. The wait is really the only thing that's annoying IMO.
>>
>>29703709
Yes? If the suppressor weren't attached properly it would fly forward no?
>>
>>29700176
correct me if I'm wrong but I think suppressors throw a lot of residues back into the chamber and magazine, they will overheat a lot quicker than a barrel under sustained fire, they don't really make that much difference in combat since everyone will be deaf anyhow, and they do make sound if it's not subsonic, and also using subsonic ammo can make it difficult for some guns to cycle
>>
File: investarm-silence-z.jpg (17 KB, 1388x259) Image search: [Google]
investarm-silence-z.jpg
17 KB, 1388x259
Frog here. In France suppressors aren't more regulated than the firearms they go with.

This means you can buy an integrally suppressed gun just like you would an unsuppressed one.

This also means that suppressors get very cheap, as low as 25€ for a very basic .22 suppressor. Double or triple that and you get and actually decent one.

However, suppressors are not really that commonly used.

Plinking in your backyard or innawoods isn't really a thing because the country is kind of cramped and very few people have access to land were they can do it safely without fearing about getting the cops called on their ass.

At the range it can be fun, but protecting your hearing when shooting your 22 makes little sense when people around you are blasting away with Mausers, Nuggets and K31s, which typically aren't suppressed.
Then you go home, open up the suppressor for cleaning and it's fucking Pompei inside. So the next time you just shoot normally, have nearly as much fun but spend less time scraping lead residue.
Integral suppressors only make it worse. People will get them for the cool factor and not much more. Also shorter barrels mean less accuracy.

I'm not well versed in hunting, but I know for a fact hunters don't bother with suppressor and just go around ruining their hearing.
They might be banned for hunting anyway, but don't take my word on that.
Anyway 12 gauge suppressors are fuckhuge and people just don't want to haul them around in the brush. So really it's more of a poacher thing.

continued
>>
File: armscor silence.jpg (27 KB, 1600x457) Image search: [Google]
armscor silence.jpg
27 KB, 1600x457
>>29705226
cont

Of course all of this doesn't apply to the US market. Due to the 200 tax stamp, manufacturers know that their niche market is composed of wealthy people so they might as well go full retard with titanium baffles and such. They also know they won't sell a lot so mass producing cheap suppressor doesn't make sense.

But outside of that, don't believe that repelling the NFA will give you silent ranges with everyone rocking itegrally suppressed guns.
Suppressors are cool and practical in some situations, but most of the time they are not worth the extra complexity and trouble and people just won't bother. Subsonic ammo is also typically more expensive unless you reload.

Cheap suppressors would however be quite usefull for home defense, which we sadly can't really do here in frogland.
>>
>>29705283
This guy has it nailed.

Supressors are currently overpriced because they dont actually sell a lot of em (insofar as mass production/big buisiness is concerned) so if they wanna make money they gotta sell high.

Plus, your average joe really DOESNT have a legitimate use for them.

Hunting? If you shoot a deer you dont really gotta worry about alerting the heard in the next draw over to your presence.

Plinking? Wear earpro.

Dont get me wrong, I am pro-everything gun related to the core, and think you shouldnt need something just to be able to own it, but lets be honest. Supressors are a neat, currently over priced and over regulated trinket.

I mean, as an average joe I think like this
My AR cost 1100
A decent supressor is going to cost anywhere from 800 to 1000 bucks
Then the tax stamp

Even ignoring the paperwork and wait, why would I pay as much as I paid for my rifle just to lower the muzzle blast 30 decibels? And add a pound to the front end of the gun, and eat gas, increase fouling, and have to mail it in every time I want to clean it?

Im very much hoping they get deregulated so that prices will drop and it wont be such a hassle/expense to deal with, but right now its just more time and a lot of money spent on something that I just really dont need.
>>
>>29700176
You can walk into any gun store pretty much anywhere in the US and buy a 338LM boltgun with little to no government harassment. There is no registration, generally no wait, and no real restrictions.

So you want to buy a suppressor. Your local SOT is not going to have a good 338LM can, you're going to need to find or order one.
Your SOT and the source SOT then talk, and one files the form 3. Two months later the form 3 is approved and the suppressor is now shipped to your SOT.
You can now submit a form 4. Your SOT should either fill it out for you or guide you through it, but you need to circle #9 "Do", #15 NNNNNNNNYN, #21 credit card info, and then sign and date (3 letters for month DD, YYYY). Then you mail it to the NFB in Atlanta.
Nine months later they approve it. You can then do the normal firearm process at your SOT.

You meant technical issues though, I'm sure. They add several ounces, mess with barrel harmonics, add rotational inertia, affect the center of mass, etc.
>1) What is it. Why isn't it integrally suppressed?
Integral suppression is for field sturdiness. Outside of that it's fucking dumb. Use a high volume can for quieter shooting, use a low volume can for lighter weight. You'll want a dedicated F/A can too.
F/A lower, 10.5" or 12.5" 300BLK, something like a sidecharging DI Serbu SU-15 but not shit.
2) What is it loaded with.
300BLK, Sico Omega, 220gr
>Why isn't it subsonic?
It is, but supersonic 300blk is -so- much ballistically superior. Stay subsonic, but keep supers around for when you need them. Ask Savage why they abandoned their 300BLK rifle.

>>29703566
Nigger, are you serious? No, $5 AOW transfers is not a new thing.
>>29703598
>what is physics
That's exactly how guns work. F=MA
INERTIA IS A PROPERTY OF MATTER
>>29703699
>You forgot to dot an i or cross a t and they reject it, you fix the error, and begin the wait all over again.
So very wrong but I don't have enough characters left to explain how dumb you are.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.