[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright guys, here's the replacement for beloved squadmate!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8
File: Upham.gif (52 KB, 321x240) Image search: [Google]
Upham.gif
52 KB, 321x240
Alright guys, here's the replacement for beloved squadmate! I hear he's really good so he'll fit in just right.
>>
>>29699688

Nice type writer there m8.
>>
>>29699688
wasn't he in lost?
>>
>>29699688
Just a reminder: if you don't understand or appreciate Upham's role in the movie, you're an autist.
>>
File: 1459663791876.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1459663791876.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>29699861
pls elaborate
>>
File: 1451603706363.gif (1 MB, 330x206) Image search: [Google]
1451603706363.gif
1 MB, 330x206
>>29699861
elaborate then!
>>
File: 1311950054653.jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
1311950054653.jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>>29699861
Don't worry, anon. I know what you mean.
>>
>>29700875
>>29703501

I mean it in an artful way: movies are art. A character like Upham brings an interesting element to the film, he adds to the drama and complexity of the story, and his actions and lack of actions bring more emotion to the story. It'd be boring if everyone in the film was a hero and did the right thing at all the right times.

Upham would be terrible to deal with in your squad in real life, but in a movie he adds to the dramatic and emotional character of the film.
>>
>>29703541
Upham brings depression to the squad
>>
>>29699861
>LOOK AT HOW UPHAM JUST LETS HIS BUDDY BE KILLED WHEN HE KNOWS ITS HAPPENING, IT'S JUST LIKE LE HOLOCAUST XDDDDDDD
>>
>>29703541
>emotions emotions
I don't think you have a Y chromosome.
>>
>>29703550
He also brings a very vulnerable and very human counter balance to everything: that not all men in war are masculine go getters or are gruff and violent; some men are very afraid and illl suited to war. He shows a different form of humanity in war and the movie.
>>
>>29703565
It's a movie: it's all about emotions.

There's a time and place, and movies are that time to feel emotions and appreciate them.
>>
>>29699861
It's better to be an autist than a skinny fuckboy who stood by and did nothing as his squadmate was slowly stabbed to death.
>>
>>29703564
Autist confirmed.
>>
>>29703587
Again, it's a fucking movie, art.

Go watch a fucking documentary if you wanna see real shit played out the exact way it happened.
>>
>>29703572
And that humanity got men around him killed, men that were trusting him to not let them down. I appreciate his character in the film but that doesn't mean I can't immersively hate him.
>>
>>29703611
>Again, it's a fucking movie, art.
wah wah, take your faggot artsy ass back to /tv/, only manly faggots are allowed here
>>
>>29703627
All of you guys that hate Upham show how effective of a character he was: that he drew out that strong of an emotional response from you guys. That's part of what makes a good movie good.
>>
>>29703648
Take your repressed homosexuality over to /lgbt/.
>>
>>29703541
Why do you faggots always have some sort of deep explanation for every single thing in the movie.

Upham existed to be a bad soldier that fucked things up for the squad, not as a representation of your autist beta power fantasies
>>
File: 1io_original.jpg (10 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
1io_original.jpg
10 KB, 300x186
>>29703696
Is this you?
>>
>>29703651
Yeah, I mentioned that. It's a good addition to the movie but - in terms of being immersed in the movie (which all good movies do), I can hate Upham just fine. I don't get why you're acting all superior for disregarding your immersion and analyzing the movie, the movie is designed to evoke emotion.
>>
>>29703648

I bet you kiss girls, faggot
>>
>>29699861
>yfw you find out that most of the movie is told from Upham's perspective
>>
>>29703715
>acting all superior for disregarding your immersion and analyzing the movie,
I'm bringing that mindset so people can see that it's deeper than just Upham being a piece of shit.
>>
When I first watched Saving Private Ryan, I thought Upham was a horrible soldier that fucked up so many things for the squad. But I recently rewatched the movie and I kind of listened a little more closely and had a little bit of sympathy for him. Really the only thing I could blame him for was the Mellish situation and that was kind of understandable.

First off, he was a desk soldier that had no experience with war so I didn't blame him as much for being horrible in combat situations. It was shown that he kind of had this romanticized view of was when he talked to Miller in the Church that showed his naivety of war.

In the 2nd time I watched it, I spotted one certain moment as to why he was like he was in the Mellish situation. For most of the battle, he was actually doing fine in the battle and running around and supplying people with ammo. But right before the Mellish CQC, Upham is nearly blasted by a tank. That's when he goes into shellshock that makes him hesitant in running out again, which I don't blame him for because he's not as used to combat situations as said above. The squad is also pushed back from their positions in that the building Mellish was in was kind of a bit far out from their positions and was starting to get surrounded by the Germans which you could see as Upham tried to dodge the Germans that were entering the building. The screams and the tanks blowing up around him added to his stress. So with all of that put together, I'm a little more sympathetic to him.

I don't really blame him for the Steamboat Willie situation because there was no way in hindsight they would know he would be the one to shoot Miller, and it wasn't like Miller wouldn't have got shot anyway by all of those other Germans.
>>
>>29704287

>this

Great way of putting it, I realized all this myself when I rewatched it a couple years ago.

I still hated him on principal, but you can definitely still sympathize as to why he didn't help Mellish.
Either way, great acting, and an absolute classic film
>>
>>29703627
>And that humanity got men around him killed

He tried to avoid get killed the men around him. Then he should be hanged.
>>
>>29704287
>>29704496
Jesus Christ, NOW people get it?? I wasted my time trying to explain, but at least you tards finally get it.
>>
>>29699861
>expecting the neanderthals on /k/ to understand art
>>
>>29705627

I'd just like to point out that I wasn't one of those said tards who didn't get it
>>
Why the fuck did they take the squad leader, the medic, and the sniper to bum rush that machine gun nest head on? Just an excuse for the writers to kill off a character?

Why couldn't the sniper just shoot the crew? Why not split the squad up into two groups and flank it from two sides?
>>
All you fags get butthurt over Upham because you pretend that you would all be operators operating when in reality deep down inside you know you would be a worse little bitch than him
>>
>>29699697

What kind of typewriter did he use?
>>
>>29706240
I would have had my sniper hide a hundred yards off and plink at them. Have the rest of the squad attack from s different axis and keep the gunners heads down with fire
>>
>>29706641

I would have sent Upham back to our own lines with a map to the location pinned to his back and just gone around.
>>
I viewed him as the result of the draft. When you have a force that mostly volunteered or came from prison your not gonna get a guy completely pussying out as often. A lot of people are just not capable of war. We have been conditioned to think killing is bad and that do no harm is the ultimate ethical code. A draft takes people like this and forces them to do things that they are not prepared psychologically to do.
>>
>>29703696
holy shit, anon - you don't need a degree in literature to understand symbolism and metaphor
>>
>>29699861
Yes. He wasn't meant to be a rifleman, and he was surely only there because he was drafted. But still, he stood by and did nothing knowing one of his friends was being killed.

He only had "courage" later on when all the Germans were captured and defenseless.
>>
>>29703572
In a perfect world, the vulnerable ones would get themselves killed.
Thing is, Upham got others killed. So we rage at him as we experience reverse survivor's guilt
>>
Let's make this thread even more depressing.
>>
>>29699688
You guys never worked with a terp huh?

Terps are sort of necessary baggage, like a shovel, bayonet or any manner of shit you drag around, barely never use and when you do have to actually use one, hope they tell the locals what you meant and understand what the fuck the enemies saying.
>>
>>29703565
It's cool just give him one of your chromosomes since you have extras.
>>
File: Isolated_Bart.jpg (35 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Isolated_Bart.jpg
35 KB, 640x480
That German should have killed that punk ass bitch when he walked by him on the stairs.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.