[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Calling all .303 fags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Hello /k/. I've recently come into possession of an SMLE which I believe to be a frankengun. I plan on using it as a range toy, but it's in such good condition I dont want to screw up a unicorn just in case. I was hoping someone could tell me more about the markings.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Wrist band. Seems to be stamped lighter than others I've seen.
>>
>>29594770
Its a Mk III* so its nothing crazy rare, real pretty stock tho
>>
File: image.jpg (897 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
897 KB, 3264x2448
Front or receiver. Irish free state? Guy told me he thought it was Australian.
>>
File: image.jpg (1023 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1023 KB, 3264x2448
Receiver. Two numbers/Markings struck through
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Only marking on the stock. Front of barrel, underside. No markings in the bayonet lug
>>
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Back of bolt. Different number than receive
>>
Well that's all the markings I can find. Anyone with info, please feel free to contribute. I'm new to lee enfields
>>
>>29594807
Why does he think its from Aus?
>>
>>29595426
Because he knows less about smles than I do :/
>>
Definitely not Irish free state, they had a pretty predominant FF overlapping in a circle stamp. That looks like a British made rifle that went through what they called an FTR or factory thorough repair. If guess by the lack of markings that it might have come from RSAF Enfield.
>>
>>29595994
Totally didn't see the stamp on the wrist, it's definitely from the Enfield factory. It either got issued and was refurbished or never saw combat which wouldn't be surprising based on the year.
>>
>>29595994
Not OP, but does that mean they just swamped out worn parts for new ones? I have a '42 Longbranch that's a total frankengun like OPs.
>>
>>29596044
Basically. Anything out of spec was replaced by unit armourers or the entire rifle was overhauled at the factory. Anything from new built or bolt head to new barrel or refinishing.
>>
>>29596160
Good to know. Explains why mine has the older style rounded cocking knob instead of the serrated square knob.
>>
>>29594770

Looks nice.

Most likely a refurb.

Get the headspace checked by a competent smith, if you don't have the guages.

I hope you reload, because commercial .303 is both expensive AND shitty. Make sure you get a neck-sizer die if you do.

Slug the bore to determine the diameter. I have .303 barrels that vary from .311's to .315's.
>>
>>29596282
Not him but all you really need for an Enfield is a field gauge. If it won't close on field, you're good to go. Privi is the only good commercial army.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.