[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard would it be to construct your own one-of-a-kind pistol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: BCX2-J-F1-H[1].jpg (325 KB, 1500x984) Image search: [Google]
BCX2-J-F1-H[1].jpg
325 KB, 1500x984
How hard would it be to construct your own one-of-a-kind pistol that works and looks like a respectably manufactured gun?
>>
Assuming you had a working machine shop, as well as a basic knowledge of how firearms work, you could do it. Hi-Point does.
>>
>>29591107
He said looks respectable.
>>
File: That's not actually that bad.jpg (55 KB, 980x735) Image search: [Google]
That's not actually that bad.jpg
55 KB, 980x735
>>29591116
Fair enough.
>>
>>29591142
I'm so glad my young, poor, dumb self didn't know about wooden grips... because I probably would have put them on my Hi-Point.
>>
File: 1459051742896.jpg (83 KB, 349x636) Image search: [Google]
1459051742896.jpg
83 KB, 349x636
Can't be too hard, right?
>>
>>29591107
Hi Points are an absolutely terrible example for what OP is proposing due to their extensive use of castings (of zinc aluminum alloy) and of molded polymer. The manufacturing of Hi Points is literally decades ahead of something like a 1911, a pistol that has clones made in as remote of locations as the Kyhber Pass and historically in revolutionary China.

OP's best bet would actually be to start with an 80% 1911 frame and build from there, given that outdated design can be easily completed to a professional capacity using tooling from a century ago.
>>
>>29591418
OP might be asking how to make his own donut steel OC gun though.
>>
>>29591426
That is why I said build from a frame. I would personally use a 80% frame for anything above 380ACP, if for no other reason than safety and quality of finished product.

OP asked how hard the task would be to make a respectable gun on one's own. The easiest thing I could think of is to make a blowback pistol off of common, easy to work with frame.

Designing something from stratch is more difficult to place. A single shot break action, using a salvage barrel, would be easy. Designing a locking system that is truly one of a kind would be hard.
>>
>>29591092
Takes some skill and trial and error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfvJtjbY9TM&nohtml5=False
>>
Straight blowback with cast metal parts would be a good start.

You'll need some sort of tooling/machining. I remember there's a popular idea taught in early economics courses about how it would be impossible to make even the simpler items (it is usually a pencil) without.unless you want some smoothbore slam fire 20 gauge or .22lr, you're probably going to need tools or materials that are actually intended to make a gun.
>>
>>29591159
What is that, a Bolter?
>>
>>29591490
>you're probably going to need tools or materials that are actually intended to make a gun.
Not necessarily, see >>29591488 and his whole channel, good stuff.

The only gun specific tool you might need would be a rifling tool, but the guy I linked has a video on how to make a homemade one that works pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihPFjuxBjPo
>>
>>29591490
>intended to make a gun
Lathe+bits
Mill, maybe you can get by with a drill press and lotsa patience
Hand files
Sandpaper
Small sharpening stone

Of those, please point out which is "intended" or has a primary stated purpose of gun manufacturing.
>>
>>29591493
12ga Ingram, basically.
>>
>>29591092
it would take fucking forever working on manual machines
>>
>>29591142
its like putting giant expensive rims on your shit 80s pontiac
>>
>>29591527
Why aren't those standard?
>>
File: homemade .22LR pistol, flat.jpg (42 KB, 640x434) Image search: [Google]
homemade .22LR pistol, flat.jpg
42 KB, 640x434
With basic tooling and knowledge, it shouldn't be hard to make a blowback .22LR pistol such as pic related.
>>
>>29591553
If it took an aussie working on weekends to build a clock on his mill in about a year I'm pretty sure someyearwho spends a month learning how to read bluprints can crank out a gun in half the time. Maybe a bit more if they want to go full autist and make a gun out of harder steels and heat treat after for lulz.
>>
File: homemade-9mm-handgun.png (2 MB, 800x1315) Image search: [Google]
homemade-9mm-handgun.png
2 MB, 800x1315
Or you could put something together out of spare parts.
>>
>>29591159
Metal bawkses.
>>
>>29591159
I can garuntee you that is a status symbol because there is no way in hell that would not beat itself to death within the span of a couple rounds.
>>
>>29594061
Shotguns work on pretty low pressures, Famicom

Also I'm pretty sure that's someone's cosplay prop.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.