[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In Iraq and Afghanistan how durable was the architecture (I.e.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 804x452) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 804x452
In Iraq and Afghanistan how durable was the architecture (I.e. What was it made out of)? Could either the 5.56 or the 7.62 reliability penetrate through the walls or were the materials too dense?
>>
Isn't that Restrepo?
>>
>>29590398
7.62 is the best ammunition ever made.
>>
>>29590398

My experience is only from Lebanon, but they build their houses from concrete blocks made out of the local sand. The sand is very thin and becomes like plaster when it gets wet. Then again becomes like concrete when it dries up. Shitty sand to deal with.

Depends on the builder of the concrete blocks, but a 5.56 wouldn't go through the walls lethally and with 7.62 it's highly unlikely to make serious damage as well.
>>
>>29592265
At that dispersion sweet spot huh
>>
>>29592276

Shit was cash
>>
>>29590398
Most buildings in Iraq are made from brick. I wouldn't love to trust a wall to stop a M855 but it most certainly would not be 'barrier blind' to it. 7.62 NATO seemed to defeat it rather well.

Granted, I wasn't ordinance board or OPERATOR OPERATING there, so I couldn't give you a detailed breakdown of performance. From what I understand brick and plaster are pretty common in Afgaistan.

In either place you are less likely to get in a shootout then die from a dead goat stuffed with a artillery shell.
>>
>>29590501
Yes
>>
Most of the "buildings" in Marjah, Helmend Province, were made from mud, shit and straw. If they were old enough and had enough time to cure in the sun, .50 slap rounds wouldn't even penetrate. You have to understand that they make the walls while standing on them, they're usually a foot and a half thick.
>>
>>29590398
In Afghanistan the mud walls in fields were often maybe three feet thick and could reliably stop any bullets. In the towns, the walls were made of kind of mud bricks and were a bit thinner, but still would stand up to anything short of .50 cal or explosives. The big houses we called qualats (not sure on spelling) and their walls were similarly thick.

One time I was called in because an OG-7 round fired from an RPG had gone though a window and lodged about a foot into an interior qualat wall. It was not unusual for RPG rounds to dud and lodge in exterior walls.
>>
>>29592493
>>29592305
>>29592442
So is there a particular reason they made their walls to be fucking bulletproof?

Considering how long they have been doing it, it can't be in response to guns, that was just a modern happy sideeffect.
>>
>>29592514
Mud houses tend to be stout as fuck. Look at adobes in the American Southwest.

Also the houses in Afghanistan need to survive generations of harsh winters. People don't realize how much it snows there, but that place it a hop & skip from the Himalayas. There is a solid 3-4 months a years when nobody can do shit because of the snow in a lot of the country.
>>
In Afghanistan, it varies from place to place as the different areas used different techniques and different materials to build their shithuts. Some of the houses were actually durable enough to stop a massive bullet such as a 12.7mm. But in my experience an intermediate round like 5.56x45, 7.62x39 or 5.56x39 rarely penetrated walls.
>>
>>29592514
Insulation.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.