[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First AR-15 I would not regret?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: AR-15.jpg (52 KB, 1000x462) Image search: [Google]
AR-15.jpg
52 KB, 1000x462
I'm researching my first AR-15 now, and have arrived at point of diminishing return. Not in the least because I don't know a zillion things that I need to to make a qualified judgment - and the only way to know them is to get real life experience with one.

That is to say, what I'd like to get now is a quality prebuilt AR-15 that I can just keep shooting and learning - and only then, when I know what I'm doing, I'll go and build one, but keep this one too, and not as an example of "Jesus, that was stupid", but as an example of good forward investment. Yes, I understand that there's a price involved whenever quality is mentioned, but time is money, and it's running out fast.

So, what would be the par for a prebuilt? And who would be the manufacturer? Are SIG M400 or 516/716, or HK MR556/MR762 good examples?
>>
>>29588237
I would get one of the FN15 models, Smiths and Rugers are a bit on the cheaper side and I'm not too fond of the Sig M400s personally even though there's nothing wrong with them
>>
just grab a smith sport II if you're too lazy to fingerfuck some ARs at your LGS

building one is pretty fuckin easy if you have an IQ above 70
>>
>>29588237
What's your budget? My Windham AR is pretty decent quality for ~$900.
>>
File: 1455829945847.png (107 KB, 151x379) Image search: [Google]
1455829945847.png
107 KB, 151x379
>>29588237
I really don't think you can go wrong with a S&W M&P-15.
Since you said that you want a pre-built AR, I'd go look at a AR556 by Ruger as well. I've personally shot it and can say it's a fun little AR.
Just depends on the budget.
>>
>>29588714
>What's your budget?
Two weeks.
>>
>>29588693
>grab a smith
Not fun of them, for this reason: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_policy_of_the_Clinton_Administration#Settlement_with_Smith_.26_Wesson
>>
>>29588237
PSA AR15

Save some money now, build a gucci AR down the road.
>>
How does a 6920 stack up to a Smith or Windham?
>>
>>29588237
S&W M&P 15
>>
File: manylikeitbutthisoneisgrape.jpg (230 KB, 959x1024) Image search: [Google]
manylikeitbutthisoneisgrape.jpg
230 KB, 959x1024
>Whats a good AR-15?
If you're just learning the platform and are shooting sub-200 meters, anything out there. Like >>29588936 said, I would advise going cheap now so you can build what you want later. Bushmaster ARs are good for the 600-650 range at most LGSs or after FFL transfer and shipping. Honestly even a barebones nothing special, poorfag AR such as a DPMS Oracle is good enough and good to upgrade.
tldr, just buy whatever is cheapest, it really is a buyer's market right now with entry-level ARs. Can't go wrong, and if it's a lemon, send it back for a refund or a new one.
>>
>>29589231
>How does a 6920 stack up to a Smith or Windham
The 6920 is really where you move from entry-level to intermediate level in terms of build quality and performance. Colt is one of the original 3 "ABC" companies that first made ARs for commercial market, along with Armalite and Bushmaster.
The SW MP15 is good, but 6920 and Windham are better enough to put them a step above. Windham is basically all of the engineers that Bushmaster originally had on their design team before Freedom Group bought them out, meaning they are the ones that carried the torch . Colt fanboys will say that anything by Colt is better than everything else made by the competition, which is of course a retarded exaggeration. Nevertheless, the 6920s are very good.
>>
>>29589437
Clear and concise. Thank you. I think I'll take a side-by-side look at the Colt and the Windham and pick one of those two.
>>
>>29589578
I'm doing the same research right now and heads up I can't find Colt shit in stock for good prices almost anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_4t6Zu51I

Here is a good video of Windham's operation though.
>>
>>29589363
>I would advise going cheap
My upbringing is "we're too poor to buy cheap". I really detest the thought of money wasted on cheap bad shit. If I have to spend money, I want to spend it well and have one good thing (the first) and more perfect things (I think there'll be at least two total, one hunting/long range setup and one tactical for SHTF).

>it really is a buyer's market right now with entry-level ARs

Is this true only for entry level, or for all the price spectrum?
>>
>>29589610
>can't find Colt shit in stock for good prices
It's gonna get worse as elections come closer. No matter who wins, the prices will rise with uncertainty and hype. And then they may kick the ceiling for good, in the worst case.
>>
>>29589733
you can purchase a totally functional AR-15 for $600 or build for cheaper, we're in a renaissance of AR-15s right now, cheap doesn't mean low quality with AR15s right now if you shop smart.
>>
>>29589610
I'm gonna buy local anyway. There's a few shops where I live, and I KNOW of at least one Colt in stock.
>>
File: slavic fishing.gif (2 MB, 401x226) Image search: [Google]
slavic fishing.gif
2 MB, 401x226
>>29589733
>cheap bad shit
That's the thing though. I wouldn't exactly call them bad per se, just not up there with the Colts or Windhams (again mid tier as opposed to entry level babbys first AR tier) although you do have a point with wanting to buy good now. The way I like to think of it is, the more you spend on a Commercial off the Shelf one now, the less you will want to swap out later, unless you're going to switch lengths, go with an A1 or A2 build etc

>is this true only for entry-level
No, the buyers market is just much more prolific and apparent at the entry level. Mid level the selection is still good, but once you go past the 1500.00 mark, there isn't much since EVERYONE builds one themselves at that point, because at that level, it's all high end gucci stuff tiered to people who know what to look for and have specific tastes.

For that upper echelon, I recommend only buying parts and not complete rifles, although there is nothing objectively wrong with pre-builts at that level, just at that point you'll want 100% custom. Pic unrelated.
>>
>>29589992
I think you nailed it. The "ready to use entry level, only custom top" is a nice parallel to other niche activity I'm engaged in, and it makes perfect sense. Thanks for words of wisdom, I'll pass them on someday.
>Pic unrelated.
Still made my day :)
>>
>>29588714
Windhams are great. Made by the guy who was the original founder of Bushmaster, back when Bushmaster wasn't mediocre
>>
>AR15
>not regret
kek

once you buy one you'll instantly regret it but convince yourself you didn't

then you'll buy another and another

eventually you'll become a tripfag

then you'll become gay

then you'll kill yourself
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 540x960
ak guy here, can someone help me choose between the the windham dissipator and MPC, I'm not gonna switch to optics I like the original look of the mpc but I also like how the sissy has the full lengh sights in a 16 in barrel, I just don't know what to choose.
>>
>>29589992
>Colts or Windham

How do SIG and HK ARs compare to these?
>>
Here's your AR15 summarized key points

>piston AR
Gas pushes a piston instead of the bolt directly. Cleaner, but caused wear on the bolt carrier group. Less popular. The sig MCX is a great piston AR for roughly $1600

>direct impingement
Normal gas operation, tends to be lighter and more accurate

>free float vs standard handguards
A free floated hanguard means more accuracy because it doesn't effect the barrel

>billet vs forged
Up to preference. Typically billets are heavier but can look very different. Forged is standard, and stronger (by a non noticeable degree). The lighted weight recievers right now happen to be billet as weel, so it doesn't matter too much

>.223 vs 5.56 vs wylde
A .223 chambered barrel can ONLY shoot .223 remmington. A 5.56 barrel can shoot both the hotter 5.56 and .223 rem, while a .223 wylde chamber can shoot 5.56 and .223 rem slightly more accurately

The rest is up to preference. You'll want to make sure it has a forward assist, a good bolt carrier group is a must, charging handle and furniture is subjective.
>>
The new $600 ruger is a good option. Its cheap, no frills, but has good QC for the price range and comes with a decent barrel

For $1000 you can get an aero precision enhanced AR. Free float rails, decently lightweight, good wylde barrel and excellent accuracy. They are small, the trade off is the quality control can be spotty so you need to inspect rifle before accepting it.

For 1500 you can get the BCM version of the aero precision rifle. Slightly lighter weight, bcm RECCE rifles are top tier and I doubt you would get a more reliable AR.

These are the three go-to's in different price ranges. There are so many brands plenty are close enough to the value of all three, but these guys edge out just a little bit. Aero Precision is REALLY good for the money.
>>
>>29590784
The MCX is lighter weight and very accurate out of the box. Not to mention a folding stock. If you plan to go suppressed the MCX is a clear choice
>>
>mid length vs carbine vs rifle length
This is a measurement of the gas system length. Longer is more reliable in an AR. I prefer midlength. Rifle is the longest and carbine is shorter than mid length. Typically the shorter it is, the faster the gun runs but it will wear faster as well.

>1/12 vs 1/8 vs 1/7
This is a measurement of rifling twist. 1/7 is government profile and most popular, however it prefers lightweight bullets. 1/8 will shoot almost all weights accurately and 1/12 prefers heavyweight bullets. Unless you KNOW what twist you want for what you want to shoot, 1/8 twist is always more desirable

>steel ammo vs brass
Steel is fine in an AR! However mixing steel with brass is a bad idea and for that reason brass is the better buy. Steel doesnt expand like brass when fired and in an AR this means it will dirty up the chamber more. When shooting all steel cased ammo this is fine, but when you shoot a brass cartridge after all that steel the brass will expand and then stick to that junk in the chamber. I shoot exclusively cheap steel ammo in my AR
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.