[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Veteran's Discounts and Privileges
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 9
File: ls.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
ls.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
Should we give people who served in the military preferential treatment?
>>
File: applebees-restaurant1.jpg (34 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
applebees-restaurant1.jpg
34 KB, 300x300
>>29584148
>Should we give people who served in the military preferential treatment?

only if they open carry on their dates.
>>
>>29584148
Companies are free to do so if they want.
>>
>>29584171
This

Idc either way 2bh
>>
>>29584148
Is it inherently more laudable than serving in any other branch of the government? Fire department, police, bureaucratic paperpusher?

It's all work and it all has to get done.
>>
File: JrnKbDI.jpg (253 KB, 1472x1104) Image search: [Google]
JrnKbDI.jpg
253 KB, 1472x1104
>>29584199
>>
Im a disabled veteran (service related but not purple heart) and i wouldn't use that spot. I like when stores have spots for cripples and the pregnant. This is just pandering though and unnecessary.
>>
>>29584199
>>29584199
>implying that working for the government is laudable to begin with no matter the way it is done
>>
>>29584199
I don't know about that. If I had to pick the most top-tier job it would be fireman or paramedic, because you're not fucking someone over while doing your job like a cop, and you're still getting into sketchy situations.
>>
>>29584335
>paramedic
You'll only ever be making just above minimum wage then, sadly.
>>
>>29584287
I would say that federal jobs that lead to scientific advancement are more laudable. A NASA scientist or DoD engineer is more valuable to society than a grunt.
>>
>>29584335
That's true. As much hate as cops get, nobody ever talks shit about firemen.
>>
Vets are hailed way too damn high.

I just needed to do something after graduating. My 0621 ass didn't do anything deserving of being a national hero like everyone makes out of it.
>>
>>29584390
>nobody ever talks shit about firemen
Yet they have more power over you than cops do. Once someone, anyone, calls 911 and tells them your house is on fire your property is legally in the hands of the firefighters. You no longer can make any decisions about it or what they do with it, it is seized from you. Cops have to at least get a warrant, firefighters just have to declare an emergency.
>>
>>29584148

I don't know but I've had plenty of beers bought for me when I wear my USMC dress pants to the bar. Never served but still pretty cool.
>>
I dont think thats fair.
Its just a job, one you have to apply for, and perform well in, just like anything else. Thats like spots reserved for any and all jobs with a dangerous element to them, and most jobs in the military dont involve anything dangerous at all.
>reserved for liquor store employees
>reserved for ranchers
>reserved for prison guards
>reserved for oilfield workers
>reserved for cab drivers
>>
>>29584467
You're a faggot
>>
>>29584148
It's private property. Don't like it, fuck off.
>>
>>29584434
Agreed. There are some badass heroes out ther but everyone just blindly thinks that every person that has been in is a hero
>>
>>29584436
That's alright though isn't it. Your shit is already on fire, it can only go uphill from there.
>>
>>29584199
>fire department
>police
>federal government
EUROPOOR GET OUT
>>
>>29584467
Not even mad. If people are too stupid to see obvious stolen valor shit then part that fool of his money
>>
I just drag my key across a parked car with a vet sticker on it.

I consider it my service to the country.
>>
I think they should get reals & discounts. More for combat vets
>>
>>29584148
They already get a special holiday. If they actually demand shit like 15-25% off they can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>29584436
Coworker told me a story so fucking wierd I have no idea what to believe

>be coworker around 12 yrs old
>house fire, come out with parents
>2 fire engines show up to put out fire
>firefighters are from two different neighboring towns
>they begin to argue over who is in control of the scene
>fist fight ensures to kick he other team of firefighters out
>all the while house fully engoulfed on fire now
>cops show up to "secure the scene"
>cops end up arresting a few firefighters
>house turned to ash cause no one actually fought any fires
>>
>>29584635
That used to happen before fire departments were made civic institutions.
Also haggling over subscription fees (to the private fire department) while the house burned, and unprotected houses mysteriously catching fire.
>>
>>29584630
>>29584607
>>29584436
>>29584199
>>29584357

I would add VOLUNTEER fire fighters, & all paramedics, too.

I'd offer discounts to the reserve as well. Logic being that I'm too much of a bitch to serve, but these guys will if they really NEED to....
>>
>>29584619
What kind of faggot edge is this
>>
File: 9sxHPBx.gif (992 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
9sxHPBx.gif
992 KB, 250x250
>>29584606
>>
>>29584619
Found the coolest kid at the lunch table guys
>>
>>29584357
Just like teachers. Truly, the most under appreciated jobs are the most necessary
>>
>>29584841
paramedics and teachers were never designed to be careers. they were stops on a much higher path towards become something greater, do you time then turn it over to the next generation.
>>
>>29584886

What the fuck are you talking about? Biggest issue with education in the country is everyone going by the mentality of "Oh, just a few courses and you're certified", and thinking they'll be qualified to provide quality, worthwhile instruction.
>>
>>29584390
I talk shit about firemen, but it's more for their personalities, not their job. Their job is extremely important and crucial to civic safety and I applaud them for doing it. However, every single person who's ever volunteered at a FD did not pull burning babies from the fucking twin towers, which is how some of them act.

Goes for everyone I suppose. Every soldier isn't a tier zero DEVGRUDELTAOPERATOR, every cop hasn't busted Pablo Escobar, and every paramedic hasn't saved a pregnant woman's fetus by doing open heart surgery in the back of an ambulance. But firemen tend to swing their dicks around a lot, and it's aggravating.

t. Dad was a fire chief, grew up around a ton of great, and shitty, firefighters.
>>
>>29584886
Lmao okay. Put down Atlas Shrugged and leave your moms basement
>>
>>29584148
Yeah why not. Instead of fixing the VA or working on th quality of care for PTSD-ridden and homeless veterans lets just give them a nice close parking spot at Harris Teeters.
>>
thank you for your service
>>
>>29584357
Thats why you don't work solely as a paramedic. You take on as many certs as possible, train other people and branch out into other fields to hike you're pay up.

Same as being a tradesman
>>
>>29584148
What the company does is their buisness on a personal level they have not done anything to deserve special treatment from me so no I will not treat them any different from everyone else.
>>
>>29584148
6 deployment combat veteran here. That's up to individuals and organizations, but I can assure you most of us don't want it and I'd be dead before ever parking in a spot with that sign. I'd probably be dead before I eat Applebee's too, but that's beside the point.

The only people who take folks up on free shit or discounts tend to be do-nothing flunkee retards who would be on welfare if they didn't truck the military into hiring them.
>>
>>29585409
*trick
>>
>>29584148
What do you mean when you say, "we?"

Do you mean that you are in chard of parking lot signs at a business that you own?

I'm a combat veteran and I think there should be exactly 6 "Veteran's Parking" spaces at every Home Depot location in the United States. It would let everyone know that we're cared about, encourage the rest of us to get off our asses and find a job where we can then buy and improve a house. But it would be at a location that always has large parking lots so it wouldn't really be unfair to anyone else.

I just attended a suicide vet's funeral yesterday, after seeing the old platoon mates I think it's pretty important that we get something stupid like "Free parking here but you really need to get your shit together to ever use it."
>>
>>29585494
And yes I know how stupid that sounds.
>>
>>29585494
How about we fix the shit that matters instead of the thankyouforurservice-spots and lip service
>>
>>29584499
kissing a veterans ass because they got a job with the military is fucking stupid.

you're the faggot
>>
All this shit talking about this person and that persons job here.

We're all part of a great chain, pulling in the direction of economic and scientific growth. We're all important and a chain is only a chain if all the links remain linked. A fast food employee makes my life easier after a 16 hour shift during a service outage.

When I was younger and worked at Whataburger a firemen crew fought a blaze for 14 hours then came in and ate. I said how much I admired them for their work, he said I fed people and that was nothing to look down on.
Free market capitalism means we all have jobs, and we all must do them.

Except for SJWS they're faggots.
>>
>>29584148

I think it is a great idea. Several of my friends in the military got pregnant and it would be great if they didn't have walk far when the are eating out on leave.
>>
>>29584148
They got paid. They get GI benefits, VA health care. Veterans day if they live, memorial day if they don't.

I don't see why they should be special snowflakes in the civilian world.
>>
>>29584148
>should we
That's up to every individual and business to decide for themselves. At the end of the day yes military members are performinga job like anyone else. However I believe the personal freedoms you give up, and the little money you make amounts to a sacrifice that is commendable.
>>
>>29584886

Any job available is "designed" for the person willing to do it.
>>
>>29585595
B-but Home Depot already hires and promotes vets, familam
>>
Isn't treating servicemen as privileged members of society exactly what caused South America to go to shit? (amongst other reasons)

I'm all for giving active duty people on leave some perks, though. Their lives seem to be pretty shit.

Thank you for your service :^)
>>
>>29584357
Hire on rate is 18 and change an hour here.
AZ.
>>
As a vet, I think that the parking signs are as superfluous as the conversation being had about them.

It's just a gesture. As long as it doesn't hurt any non veterans then it's probably okay. And it probably doesn't matter, whether it happens or not.
>>
>>29584619
You need a,key dragged across your eyeballs

Please do us a favor and carry a plant around for all the oxygen you steal from everyone else window licker
>>
>>29585494
Just park in front of big the lumber doors like all the fucking contractors who stay there for an hour and get pissy when you ask them to move their piece of shit truck. Also most home depots will gladly help any veterans who need help with their house of something. Usually for no charge. Just gotta discuss it with the store manager. As a side note contractors can be some of the neediest most entitled shit bags I have to deal with on the daily.
>>
It doesn't matter to me at all if some places decide to give discounts to veterans. This wasn't even on my radar at all when I decided to enlist. Only thing that's gets me is when certain veterans feel entitled to discounts and when non veterans get all up in arms about veterans getting certain treatment.
>>
>>29584148
Yes.

They serve the collective security of the country, I think they deserve a little bit more than what the State pays them.
>>
>>29584692
Lots of places do. There are a ton of websites you can sign up doe and get pretty significant discounts, if you're mil/police/fire/emt. Just need to send them proof.

I'm military but I think EMTs and fire/police should all get the same, if not more preferential treatment than us. Enlisting in the military is a last ditch resort for a lot of mongoloids who do it for a variety of purely selfish reasons and they will pretty much take anyone who can breath. Lots of enlisted are literally the lowest of the low and don't deserve the hero ideology that our country currently has for military people; in fact that mindset encourages selfish assholes to join just so they can exploit that.
>>
A veteran that serves their full contract should be exempt from federal income tax for 30 years, for life if they need medical treatment because of service related issues. Medical care should be free for life and not have the BS issues the VA has now.

I accept being given discounts, but I never ask. I don't wear my old uniform for discounts or any of that BS, but I do wear issued boots for work because I'm used to them, they are durable, and I can get them for $35 a pair. I usually wear a "tactical" jacket so it ain't hard to figure out I served but boots and a flag on your sleeve does not a vet make.

I hate people thanking me for my service, I get it is just polite, but it is as empty a gesture as possible when that same fuck would vote for people that want to send more people to war and abandon us in our time of need after.
>>
I think veterans should get free BJ's from fat girls and an unlimited supply of Pixy Stixs after their service.

nothing else.
>>
>>29586512
How fat are we talking?
>>
You shoild have your veteran status revoked if you act like a faggot about it.
>>
>>29586756
I'm in
>>
>>29584467
>
Kill yourself.
>>
>>29584148
I am a veteran. Its a choice, not a mandate. If a company advertises that they are veteran friendly and offer the same discount to me that they do their employees, usually 10%, they are much more likely to get my business and the business of other veterans. So, its good business for a captive audience. On the flipside, I don't expect it, and unless I'm spending hundreds of dollars, I sure as hell don't ask for it.
>>
>>29586512
Men have fought and died for less.
>>
>>29584199
Except one example is saving lives and the other example is killing people after being brain washed.
>>
i don't ask for military discounts except when i go to the movies. if it's there i might take it since nobody's forcing them to offer a discount, but the movies are damn expensive so i always ask. plus they usually have military pricing on the signs so i don't feel like a shithead.

>>29585688

amen brother.
>>
Ha always with the brainwashing. About as much brainwashing as a community college it's horrible
>>
>>29586512
I'm on board with this idea
>>
>>29586512
This sounds like an underhanded plot to kill off our vets with STD's and type II diabetes.
>>
>>29584148

After the shitty way the baby boomers and anti-war types treated Vietnam veterans, I think it's best to err on the side of lavishing them with favor. Firefighters and police also put their lives on the line, and also deserve respect.

These are people who get treated like shit, for the most part, and risk their lives and limbs to help people in the most direct ways possible.

Paramedics sometimes risk their lives but usually just put up with a lot of shit, and again mostly work to directly save lives for little personal benefit. They get less deference, but still should be respected and honored.

>>29584199

Paper-pushers like prosecutors (who half the time are the real people responsible for things people bitch at cops about), regulators, administrators, and other paper-pushers don't deserve any respect at all. They're given positions of authority, excellent pay and benefits, and are largely above the law. They're in it mostly for themselves. The only lives they risk are yours.

I teach at a university (including at one point at a state university). The idea that I'm morally on the same plane as the veterans who often end up in my classes is totally ridiculous. I'm paid very well and enjoy pretty good perks to blather three times a week in lectures to them-- that's more than enough. Meanwhile, these guys risked their lives so my colleagues could sneer at them behind their backs and see them as stupid, evil nazis.

They deserve deference and respect. If you take umbrage at the injustice of it all, then either join up or consider what happens to societies that don't honor their warrior castes.
>>
>>29588094
even the cooks lmao
>>
>>29584148
yes OP the level of autism is getting to a critical mass on this subject.
Vet here that rarely makes that fact known any longer because everybody assumes your either a PTSD crazed psycho, a hapless indigent incapable of helping oneself or some damn superhero.
went to a wedding the other day and a clueless woman thanked some kid in his ROTC uniform for his service....goddamn clueless.
>>
>>29584362
>DoD engineer
>implying the DoD isn't entirely dependent on the private economy for all actual innovation
>>
>>29587915
...Ehh
>>
Service guarantees citizenship.

I see no problem with them receiving higher treatment.
>>
No. They're civilians just as much as the fatass in the scooter in Walmart.

>D-DEY SERVED DER CUNTRY!
They didn't do jack shit besides clean rocks all day and eat up taxpayer dollars. Call me when a real veteran from a real war needs preferential treatment, but that hasn't happened in decades.
>>
>>29585654
implying implying implying
>>
I don't want that shit nor do I know many vets who would either, but its the business owners choice. At the very least could be a profitable pr choice.
>>
File: 1444449879839.jpg (86 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1444449879839.jpg
86 KB, 900x900
Considering what the average "veteran" is like now, fuck no.

If it was back in the old days when your average vet was a stand up man who truly served his country, then yes.
>>
>>29587299
huehuehuehuehue

They are doing the work faggots like you don't have the balls to. You're spitting on the hand that feeds you.
>>
>>29588094
>save lives for little personal benefit
Because money isn't personal benefit.
>>
>>29584148
Private companies can do what they like desu senpai whoops there goes the entire "discussion"

Although, as a former Navy intel guy, I personally don't take them unless there is literally nowhere else to park
>>
>>29588337
The DoD fixes all of the broken shit vendors pawn off to the government.
>>
If they're going to give discounts or preferential treatment to military people, they should at least check to see if they served the right country.

>have a sister who is in the RCAF
>went clothes shopping in the USA
>asks the cashier if they do military discounts
>"We sure do! Thank you for your service, ma'am!"
>didn't bother asking for ID
>just gave her the discount from the question alone
>she never specified that SHE was in the military, she just asked if they do military discounts at all

Another time
>went to SeaWorld
>asked the same damn question again
>this time, they carded her
>looks it over
>gets a free "Hero" pass
>never mind that it's a piece of ID from the Government of Canada
>>
>>29588957
A lot of places are willing to just give people discounts because it keeps people happy and doesn't cost them very much. Like if you bitch hard enough at a clothing store they'll almost always give you a discount.
>>
>>29588957
>canadian
>jewish

??????
>>
>>29589045
I don't know where you got "jewish" from, other than the fact she was trying to save money.
>>
File: tactical reacharound.jpg (67 KB, 497x497) Image search: [Google]
tactical reacharound.jpg
67 KB, 497x497
>>29588957
In the US, it's a huge cultural thing. You'll just about never find someone who won't ardently support the troops. And their knowledge level of the military is usually pretty low. Also

> 16-19 year old kids working a summer or retail job
> not only expected to care, but know what military ID's look like
Not happening unless their parents were military.

> went to SeaWorld
I work there as an EMT. Which one? Active duty military get 1 pass for themselves and family members, along with 30% discounts on food and shit.
> gets a free "Hero" pass
"Waves of Honor". It's pretty cringeworthy
>>
>>29584635
Untill about 100-150 years ago, most non volunteer fire departments were basically extortion rackets.

There was a famous roman, can't remember his name atm, who owned a slave battalion of fire fighters. They would light an apartment on fire, the guy would stroll up to the owner of the property as he was in the street freaking out, buy the property for next to nothing, then send in his slaves to put it out.

Also see Gangs of New York for some good crooked firefighting history.
>>
>>29589100
LMFAO that tactical reach around!
>>
>>29588337
It's the other way around anon. NASA and the DoD do all the hard work and research and the private sector leeches off of them.
>>
>>29589111
That'd be Crassus.
>>
>>29584148

Only if they're old or disabled vets, so essentially not at all since those two groups already get preferential treatment.
>>
>>29585924
Lowes bro here, is it any greener over on that side of the fence? Are you at least not using genesis or some other inventory system from 1989?
>>
>>29584841
Teachers in my district make around 90k including benefits. With tenure, 6 figures is easy.
>>
>>29590862
>he thinks Genesis is bad

Lol

Try using Eagle
>>
>>29584841
Teacher's pay is low because it's a public sector job, with a budget that stays static or reduced due to property fluctuations and legislative deferrence. As long as free education exists teachers won't be making money either. Unions also are a pain to haggle so pay doesnt change as much as other public jobs. Having a basic bachelor's in a general field plus an rather passable entrance exam further drives down the pay possibilities. Most teachers tend to have limited breadth of knowledge beyond their lesson plan as well, and field knowledge doesn't get furthered through their contributions all too often.

Either way, due to teachers being so necessary the Barrier of entry is reduced to accommodate for that
>>
>>29584148

no. i already fund their paychecks and bennies.
>>
>>29590862
They actually just rolled out a new system that fixed problems we didn't have and created interesting new problems for us to work around.
>>
File: jew.gif (19 KB, 250x292) Image search: [Google]
jew.gif
19 KB, 250x292
Of course they're the good goys.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.