[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a shotgun firing explosively formed penetrators work? Against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: efp.gif (20 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
efp.gif
20 KB, 300x192
Could a shotgun firing explosively formed penetrators work?
Against armor?

Weapons idea thread
>>
>>29581182
Pressures are way to high for an EFP to work in a shotgun.

The pressure needed would destroy the weapon.
>>
>>29581187
This. Shotgun barrels cut and break like fucking butter. It's why you can cut through them with hacksaws in less than sixty seconds and why you can safely fire 12 gauge out of 3/4ths inch steel pipe. You'd really have to up the density and material quality the shotgun barrel, think the 590A1.
>>
>>29581182
EFP or EFP rounds?
>>
>>29581182
Don't know about any EFP rounds, but shaped charge ones have been developed. Don't really see the point of EFP over shaped charge, especially considering the small size of the round.

>The round is designed to
allow the operation of gas-operated and recoil-operated
semiautomatic shotguns. The armor-piercing projectile is
a shaped charge design and is designed to penetrate ½
inch of steel armor.

http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/FRAG%2012.pdf
>>
>>29581235
Well made diy EFP can engage targets up to 100 meters with enough accuracy to hit a vehicle. As it is a non-deforming kinetic penetrator it is less susceptible to passive counter-measures. Even hastily made simple platter charge weighing around 50lb can disable a modern MBT. ( 50lb platter charge can have up to 30 megajoules KE, that is close to CKEM's 35 MJ)
>>
>>29581313
Yeah, but you can't contain one in a shotgun without destroying the shotgun. With HEAT, you just need normal propellant for launch and all the explody happens outside the barrel rather than in it.
>>
>>29581347
You could technically have the EFP in the round itself, but it would almost certainly be inferior to an ordinary shaped charge at that size. Essentially an AT gun bullet.
>>
>>29581347
Yeah sure...not really giving two shits about the original question.
>>
>>29581182
As several people have stated ITT, an EFP out of a shotgun probably wouldn't work very well, but that's not to say one couldn't build a dedicated, man portable, multi shot EFP weapon. This idea intrigues me. Though I guess the question is whether it would be worth it to use something like that over a standard rocket launcher with heat rounds. Maybe one day if exoskeletons with armor become common place, and you need short range, multi shot anti armor capability on a much more common basis. Fuck. Now I'm imagining power suit soldiers blasting eachother with white hot jets of molten metal and my dick got hard. I think I might be some very weird and specific form of gay.
>>
>>29581187
>>29581205
Maybe if you fired a shaped charge out of a shotgun but that's still a pretty bad idea.
>>
>>29581475

exosexual
>>
File: xrlcanid.jpg (26 KB, 400x272) Image search: [Google]
xrlcanid.jpg
26 KB, 400x272
Dont we live in the day and age when we can legitimately talk about mounting EFPs on robotic spidermines yet?
>>
>>29581475
I get the feeling, man

We should arrange a circle-jerk party with Neil Blomkamp where we talk about mechas and exosuits and self-abuse for hours.

After re-watching Chappie, I'm sure he'd be game.
>>
>>29581182

Yeah, you could make it work. Doesn't mean it'll be worth it, but yeah it can be done.
>>
File: Eben-Emael03.jpg (124 KB, 339x488) Image search: [Google]
Eben-Emael03.jpg
124 KB, 339x488
Relevant video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVgB1asJKpY
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.