[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Depression and guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9
File: Warning-signs-poster-JPEG.jpg (203 KB, 1086x767) Image search: [Google]
Warning-signs-poster-JPEG.jpg
203 KB, 1086x767
Well /k/ nogunz here who planned on getting a gun. However I realised the other day the horrible feelings I had were most likely depression and I may need to go to my doctor for medication.

If I do so, will this prevent me from owning any guns
>>
Don't get involuntarily committed, and don't tell Doc about thoughts of suicide.

You'll be good.
>>
>>29579383
Depends on how discrete (read expensive) your shrink is.

The sad reality of our health care system is, once your in it the courts can always use it as an excuse to take just about anything away from you.

>Guns
>Custody
>Literally your freedom
>Your word becomes almost worthless up against a normal person's in court
Basically you get listed as a legal sub-human
>>
If you feel depressed, don't go to the doctor. The law will assrape you and take your funs away. The doctor will almost force you to take addictive depression meds that will null you up.
>>
>>29579383
I have all of those but im in nursing school so its perfectly normal.
>>
Key things to keep in mind:
- Don't mention owning guns to the doc
- Don't mention being depressed or mental illness to other people who know you own guns
- Don't ever go to a mental hospital

You should be fine then.
>>
>>29579450
I won't tell a soul, it's just that I know when I'm beat and probably need some help, I was just scared to go for it because of what I want to do with my life
>>
File: 4q331414.jpg (151 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
4q331414.jpg
151 KB, 550x550
>>29579383
I'm a pilot. They do extensive physical screenings for a medical certificate, which clears you to fly, in essence. Fatigue is a touchy subject amongst pilots that would be grounds to not "pass" a medical cert.

Think I'd ever tell them I have irregular sleep patterns sometimes coupled with apnea? No, and I never will.

Sometimes you just have to "suck it up" so to speak.

>NEVER voluntarily alienate your rights, by whatever means.
>>
>what to do
Get the help you need. I hope they find a pill for you that works. It can take a few tries before one fits.
Hopefully counseling helps too.

>depression and guns
If you have suocidal thoughts. Stay away from funs for a while until they subside. Takes a week or two for me.
>>
>>29579513
Oh, also they won't institutionalize you unless you try to kill yourself a buck, or engage in a lot of self harm.

Good luck anon
>>
File: 1429941728398.jpg (48 KB, 346x346) Image search: [Google]
1429941728398.jpg
48 KB, 346x346
I think captcha just ate my post....?
Anyway.

Listen to me, OP. I am a pilot. One of the most regulated professions in existence. We are subject to rather specific medical examinations at pre-determined intervals. These medical certifications, if you will, allow us to exercise the privilege of our pilot cert.

Fatigue is a rather touchy subject of aviation, and any contingencies would almost make you ineligible to fly.

Think I'd ever tell my medical examiner I have unusual sleep patterns often coupled with apnea? Not a chance.

Whatever you choose to do, please listen
>Never voluntarily alienate your rights (or privileges) by any means
>>
>>29579483
>>29579524
Turns out captcha didn't eat my post
Sorry bout the double post
>>
File: panic attack.jpg (4 MB, 3873x2572) Image search: [Google]
panic attack.jpg
4 MB, 3873x2572
>>29579383
in nz they ask people about you and if you should have a gun

>at lest one blood relative
>one non blood relative
>spouse or cohabit
>anyone they dam well please

>go to my doctor for medication.
my friend is training to be Psychologist and helps me with self assessment and introspection
mescaline and Psilocybe cubensis is a part of this but only as a means to an end
>>
>>29579383

I'd worry more about keeping my depression under control and less about having guns.

I'd especially worry more about keeping my depression under control if I had guns.

Seriously, the big issue is not having your brains dispersed in a fine red mist around your bedroom because you couldn't handle your depression and had easy access to a firearm. Suicide by firearm statistics for people that own firearms are pretty bad, compared to defensive uses.
>>
File: freedom.jpg (97 KB, 1872x652) Image search: [Google]
freedom.jpg
97 KB, 1872x652
>>29579383
>the horrible feelings I had were most likely depression and I may need to go to my doctor for medication

Or you're just a wee bit sad and have other contributing factors going on.

If you're going off the pic you posted, you should know that almost all of those symptoms can be caused by things other than depression or anxiety.

I experience four of them alone (Restlessness, Irregular sleep, Decreased energy, and Insomnia) as a result of a neurological disorder that has nothing to do with a mental disorder, and is easily treatable with a combination of diet, exercise, and mild non-psych medication.

My point is that symptoms can have different causes, disorders can have multiple symptoms, and there can be a lot of overlap between the two. Don't jump to a conclusion based on either one alone.
>>
>>29579450
>>29579450
>- Don't ever go to a mental hospital

Unless you need to go to a mental hospital. Seriously, don't fuck w/ mental illness. Get treated as you need to get treated, worry about firearms as a secondary thing.
>>
>>29579524
Just what I want. A lying pilot with narcolepsy.

Could you tell me which airline?
>>
>waah I got bad feefees I need the smart man to give me magic pills

Antidepressants have the well known side effect of *making* you suicidal and frequently cause psychosis. Antidepressants cause severe sexual dysfunction in over 50& of consumers along with many other horrible side effects.
Antidepressants can have intense withdrawal symptoms, even when tapered off slowly.
Antidepressants have been shown to be no more effective than a sugar pill as well.
Exercise has been shown to be more effective than antidepressants.

I eagerly await some cuck crying about how antidepressants totally work because he took 10 different drugs over the course of 5 years and his depression got better.
>>
>>29579383
Get professional help if you need it, there is no shame in treating an illness. If you live in the US, the only disqualifying mental health question on the form 4473 pertains to being declared mentally incompetent or involuntary commitment to a mental health care facility. You can voluntarily check in and still be good to buy a gun.

As other anons have said, getting your health back up to par should be your highest priority, worry about owning a gun later.

disregard the bullshit from these idiots.
>>29579431
>>29579450
>>29579483

Special shout out to this cunt.
>>29579524

I have had my life wrecked by being diagnosed with narcolepsy. Don't be a selfish fuck and endanger other people. If you have an apnea, lose some goddamn weight or get a c-pap machine.
>>
>>29579673
I thought all the xeno loving scientology fags choked to death on Tom Cruise's tiny cock.

>Antidepressants have the well known side effect of *making* you suicidal and frequently cause psychosis.
Partly true, mostly prevalent with adolescents taking some forms of anti-depressants.

>Antidepressants cause severe sexual dysfunction in over 50& of consumers along with many other horrible side effects.
Depends on the person and the medicine. One shoe doesn't fit all. But you know what is a worse side effect? A tangerine sized hole in your head.

>Antidepressants can have intense withdrawal symptoms, even when tapered off slowly.
Yeah, it sucks fierce. So take your meds as prescribed and don't stop without your doctor's approval.

>Antidepressants have been shown to be no more effective than a sugar pill as well.
Cite some sources.

>Exercise has been shown to be more effective than antidepressants.
Exercise helps, but is by no means a substitute.
>>
>>29579701
>muh Scientology

Lol.

>so what if antidepressants can make you suicidal if you don't take them you could be suicidal!

cognitive dissonance lol

>all that other shit

Hey how about you just post some serious evidence that SSRI antidepressants have actually improved the long term quality of life of people with depression?

I mean...like 1 in 10 Americans take them so my nation should have the lowest recorded depression rates in history right?
>>
>>29579686
I live in Canada where admitting to mental illness actually does hinder you from obtaining legal guns.
>>
>>29579718
Still waiting on you to post your sources.
>>
File: 1435246093608.jpg (20 KB, 355x262) Image search: [Google]
1435246093608.jpg
20 KB, 355x262
>>29579686
t. therapist who wants to peddle his ssri's

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>29579626
BASED
A
S
E
D

Good diet and exercise can help anyone feel better. Never make excuses for BS just look at failures and try not to do it again.
>>
>>29579718
JAMA metaanalysis of SSRI's for depression...
'The magnitude of benefit of antidepressant medication compared with placebo increases with severity of depression symptoms and may be minimal or nonexistent, on average, in patients with mild or moderate symptoms. For patients with very severe depression, the benefit of medications over placebo is substantial.'
>SUBSTANTIAL
>>
>>29579725
Hey m80pot80 here's the placebo effect one
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4172306/
>>
>>29579732
Thanks for the (You), I obviously agree with good diet and exercise.

I just want to say that there are some things that do require medication on top of that.
>>
>>29579701
Exercise as effective as Zoloft for major depression with no side effects
>http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-and-depression-report-excerpt
>>
>>29579626
>symptoms can have different causes
this

>>29579383
exposure to lead, you know, what bullets are made out of, causes pretty much all of those symptoms as well
>>
>>29579725
>>29579742
Now can you cuckarinos show me that antidepressants have actually improved the long term quality of life for Americans?

Can you show me how the rates of disability caused by depression has dropped since these wonderdrugs were invented?
>>
>>29579743
Good article. I'll eat my words on the effectiveness of SSRI. There are other forms of anti-depressants though so to discard the entire field based on a faulty theory, governmental oversight and corporate greed is a bit hasty.

>>29579722
Bummer...
>>
as long as you can control your anger, I don't see why not.
Just mark "No" on the mental health thing.
Humans are generally a trainwreck of emotions.

Never ever get officially labelled as mentally ill though.
>>
OP.

Cutting through the crap of the last several posts.

Odds are, none of these /k/tards are doctors.

And even if they are, they aren't your doctor.

DON'T TAKE ANYTHING RESEMBLING MEDICAL ADVISE FROM THEM.

go to a doctor you trust, get taken care of.

Then come back here and ask these same people which gun lube is best, or how to assemble a lower for an AR15, or whether the south could win against the north if they seceded again. Or if the F35 is a failure, and if it is as bad as the LCS>

Just please, don't listen to any of them, or their poorly selected articles, on medical issues.
>>
>>29579727
Therapists can't prescribe medication, jackass.

Psychiatrists or medical doctors can, but not therapists.
>>
File: 1457102125587.png (124 KB, 892x1155) Image search: [Google]
1457102125587.png
124 KB, 892x1155
>>29579383
Don't seek "professional" help, i have just about all of these signs and i can tell you that you just need to work it out yourself
>>
Never had an issue with the state or feds for having guns and depression. Just get to your doctor. You may have to try a few anti depressants to find one good for you.
>>
>>29579701
I have depression, tried to kill myself with the helium method, am taking SSRIs. My psych explained the increased suicide risk to me in a really clear way.
There is a point during depression when you are actually at lower risk of suicide than before. That's because you lack energy to do things and literally spend days overthinking every decision. So while you may want to commit suicide, you are too exhausted mentally and physically to go through with it.
After 2-3 weeks of taking antidepressants, you get more energy, but your mood is not likely to improve yet for another few weeks. So you may actually be able to commit suicide then. Teens are at increased risk for some reason. Probably something to do with being more impulsive overall.
This first month is a critical period when your psych oversight is most needed. Most of the statistics showing suicide risk increase on SSRIs are actually made by people just starting taking their meds.
I'm not from US and don't own any guns, so can't comment on the exact problem OP's having.
>>
>>29579798
don't listen to this guy, he's a hack.
Only a qualified medical doctor can tell you anything at all about existence. And they are always right.
>>
>>29579383
go look up natural anti depressants. pumpkin seeds, and peanuts have large amounts of the active ingredients in anti depressant meds.
also, exercise. go fucking run every day, trust me.
lastly, smile. put on a mask, look at people, smile and greet them.

these are all natural ways of fighting the chemical side of depression. after that figure out why you're not happy, and work on that.
>>
Each country is different but here and in many other places you can go to a private practicing doctor privately without involving your insurance or anyone else. Yes you will pay more but it's worth it since your visit will stay discreet.
>>
>>29579727
so much retard in one posting
>>
>>29579673
Hey retard, how did you teleport to here from the 1940s?

Faggots like you only continue the stigma that prevents a lot of people from seeking help.
>>
>>29579722
Fuck you Canada you're RCMP think you can turn a air soft ak into a real firearm your country is fucking stupid.
>>
Not sure about where some of you are from. I've been in and out of a mental hospital three times. All voluntary. I'm on medication for depression and schizophrenia. Go to a therapist once a month. I also own about a dozen firearms.

My therapist has never asked and I've never mentioned them.
>>
>>29580553
Try telling the rapist that you have dozens of firearms and are depressed.
>>
>>29579673
Armchair professional.
I had severe treatment resistant depression following losing both my legs in a car accident.
After two years of therapy and multiple suicide attempts I went on wellbutrin.

It was literally the only thing that helped and if you ask anyone who had major depression, they will tell you that antidepressants work.

Side effects vary wildly and for most people there isnt any, save taking slightly longer to cum in bed.

I have gone through the withdrawals on multiple SSRI's and they are at best uncomfortable. When I weaned myself off in a taper I had no issues.

Going cold turkey from a psychiatric medicine will of course cause withdrawals. Most drugs have some form of withdrawal after taken for long period of time.
>>
>>29580563
Not that it'd matter. Unless I'm committed by a judge they cannot legally take my firearms away.
>>
>>29579673
also
If you are sad or unhappy exercise helps. Exercise and eating well doesnt cure clinical depression.

If you have never had actual depression you really cannot tell me how easy it is to stop being depressed.
>>
>>29579757
>>29579732

Diet and exercise CAN help, but by no means is it a cure for everyone, nor does it even help everybody either.

One important thing to note is that to start a diet/exercise regimen, that alone takes a fair amount of energy, willpower, and optimism to pull off...those are all traits depressed people tend to lack. So when you tell someone who has bad depression that they need to eat better and exercise, remember that you're asking a lot out of that person and how fucking hard it is for that person to just "get" your "good advice" and then additionally find the energy and motivation to even give it a go.

God fucking damn it, I hate trying to explain depression to people that either don't have it and thus can't understand, or people that claim to have had it but probably just had a temporary case of the blues.
>>
>>29580603
Because every asshole thinks they had depression once because they felt sad for a while.
Then they espouse how great exercise and eating well is and how it cures depression.

well no it doesnt because you never fucking had depression. clinically Depressed people cannot just up and go fix themselves. They have no motivation to do anything except lay in bed.

They just have no concept because they have never had depression and they cannot understand what its like.
>>
>>29580614
Preaching to the choir, man.

I'm the guy you replied to, and yeah, the shit drives me up the fucking wall. Every jackass thinks they've seen it all and overcome it, so their insight is best, because not only do they claim to know what you're going through, they also claim to have the answer...an answer that's completely incompatible with someone who has actual depression.

That being said, getting through anything does take at least some venture out of your comfort zone. I'm not saying what helps me helps everyone, but what has done me a lot of good is to get on an antidepressant initially, and wait for the positive effects to kick in...what's nice about that is that for me, it seems to give a placebo effect at the start, and that's just because I'm happy and proud that I took a step towards helping myself. Once you begin feeling human again after a few weeks/month or so, it's much easier at that point to start newer healthier habits: to begin that exercise regimen, opening your mail, returning phone calls, regular normie shit...then you might find yourself doing better in general, and might ween yourself off the meds.

It's kinda like slowly teaching a bird with broken wings to fly again.
>>
File: 1448310649844.gif (96 KB, 455x560) Image search: [Google]
1448310649844.gif
96 KB, 455x560
>>29579686
>>29579636

I'm not narcoleptic. Just wake up a lot in the middle of the night is all.

So how about you stop projecting, because
>I'm not fixed wing so I don't fly for an airline
>I'm not fat
>and I don't need a machine.

It was was purely to illustrate a point that you should never voluntarily give up your rights you dumb prick.
>>
>>29579686
I'd rather get a n-pap machine.

>squating intensifies
>>
>>29579436

>muh tough nursing school meme

Grow up.
>>
>>29581191
Kek
>>
>>29581019
first of all, you don't have a 'right' to fly an aircraft. That would fit under 'privilege'.
second, sometimes there are rules in place that may impact you but are there for a good reason.

Like a narcoleptic obese airline pilot. I can see that society might need to weed them out before they crash into cornfields.

Or clinically depressed/suicidal people that want to buy a gun.

The world is a pretty fucking unfair place.
>>
File: 1cc.png (47 KB, 163x214) Image search: [Google]
1cc.png
47 KB, 163x214
>>29581243
You are correct, actually. There's usually reasons why people have rights taken away. Flying is a privilege but In my original post I stated a right or privilege.

I was trying to convey the idea that one should never alienate their own rights or privileges UNLESS of course it's of extreme importance. I was trying to say that acute fatigue (me) is managing enough to not be a disqualifying factor for a medical cert., which is why it wouldn't be something I would disclose. It was a poorly miscommunicated point I'll admit that.

In the case for OP it would be different because he's dealing with depression, but I was trying to help him understand that he should not subrogate rights for treatment unless it's absolutely necessary is all. But as long as the court doesn't declare you mental he should be fine.
>>
>>29579383
Take it from someone that's been in the system for about 6 years now.. I've been on meds and been diagnosed with depression.. Ive also bought a handgun two shotguns and 3 ARs in that time. Just dont tell then about thoughts of suicide, dont tell them about psychotic breaks and dont get yourself on an involu tary and youll be alright
>>
>>29579383
in all honesty mate the medication they give you is fucking awful it makes you feel a lot worse, youd feel a hell of a lot better with some funs rather than a head full of fluoxitine and shitty ass halucanations.
dont make the same mistake i did.
>>
>>29584656
I won't say medication is a end all be all, but if that was your experience it's because you were on a med that wasn't right for you: doctors aren't magic wizards that somehow know EXACTLY which medication will suit you best, and it's your responsibility to keep a good working relationship with your doctor as to how the meds are affecting you.

It's mostly your fault, m8.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.