[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Fag, is this a good first AR?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: 27606-DEFAULT-l.jpg (98 KB, 900x510) Image search: [Google]
27606-DEFAULT-l.jpg
98 KB, 900x510
Hi, I'm kinda new to guns. I have an 870 that I trap shoot with ~4 times a year and don't hunt.
I'm looking to get an AR also, would this be a good one? It would be pure recreational shooting and there would be 0 customization/aftermarket work on it. I am a college kid on a budget.

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/166590
>http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/166590
http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/166590
>http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/166590
>>
bumping my own thread
>>
File: 001.png (2 MB, 966x1288) Image search: [Google]
001.png
2 MB, 966x1288
>>29577339
90% of the fun is building your own AR to suit you rather than buying one off the shelf. All of the parts are readily available online and Youtube has hundreds of instructional videos showing how to build it. That's what I did, and I ended up spending just under $800. I bought my 7:1 upper from PSA's dent and ding section on their website. Cost me $299. I also finished my 80% lower myself, but a 100% one will only set you back less than $100.
>>
File: mag 001.jpg (353 KB, 1288x966) Image search: [Google]
mag 001.jpg
353 KB, 1288x966
>>29577467
Ooops. I meant $600 all totaled.
>>
>>29577491
How did you finish your lower?
>>
>>29577339
its really basic, so yeah its not bad for a first. you should learn how to make your own though
>base price $739.00
wew lad
>>
>>29577518
With a drill press and a jig I bought for $79. But, I took my sweet time in doing it. Like I said, Youtube has dozens of videos that show how it's done. Just go slow and it's a very simple process.
>>
Not OP, but in much the same boat. Is the Smith a decent starter, or would it be better to shell out for an LE6920? My biggest concern is that 1:9 twist on the former. (Yes, I'll learn to build, I'm scared to do it on my first one though.)
>>
>>29578181
A 1:9 twist requires a heavier load, like 75gr, to be effective. And, 75gr is hard to find, and expensive. a 1:7 is much more versatile. If you are unsure about building one yourself, buy a 100% lower and build it from there. It is very simple. An upper, a lower, a lower parts kit, , a stock, and a handguard (which is usually included with the upper), a couple of magazines, and your in business.
>>
File: barrel twist guide.png (16 KB, 765x323) Image search: [Google]
barrel twist guide.png
16 KB, 765x323
>>29578181
>>29578241
>>
>>29578241
You have it backwards. Slow twist rates are better for stabilizing the lighter bullets. 1:7 is popular because of the spiffy 75gr loads. Most common are 55 and 65 grain which both 1:7 and 1:9 stabilize just fine.
1:9 can also stabilize really light 40gr varmint loads. There are even 30gr loads meant for 1:12 twist rates.
>>
>>29577339
>>29578181
id buy a psa rifle kit and a stripped lower of your choice. assembling the lower is fun and will help you learn about the rifle more
>>
>>29578639
>>29578694
I stand corrected.
>>
OP this board is so bias toward building ARs you will never get a different answer. They will always tell you it's cheaper. Which just isn't true. You would have to buy the cheapest of parts to build under 550$ and that's not even including the investment of tools. And this is assuming you want to spend the dozens of hours researching this all. Also assuming you do everything correctly, if you mess up or end up having to go to a gunsmith say goodbye to ever dreaming of doing this cheaply. For the amount of money you would dump to build a good AR you could afford almost any other gun you'd want realistically. If you just want an AR and maybe plan on in the future ever upgrading some parts there's nothing wrong with the m&p 15
>>
>>29579236
Nice to see someone who doesn't jump on the "build your own" bandwagon.
It's like building your own computer, good for customization or to get the exact features you want, but for most a pre built will fit especially for a starter
>>
>>29577339
M&P is a great gun, same with the AR556. If you can get it for a good price, go for it man.
>>
>>29577339
m&p is fine, ruger makes a decent one from what I hear, windham has a pretty good first timer as well.
>>
File: party-hard.gif (2 MB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
party-hard.gif
2 MB, 220x165
>>29577339
>is this a good first AR?
Yep, yes it is. I know dudes who buy once and never buy anything else in the way of ARs or accessories.

However, if you start to feel that itch, like you want to do shit to it, just save up for a more modular/higher quality one.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.